Minimum transfer time

villauk

What is the minimum transfer time at EWR for an international flight? We will have gone through security and passport control in PBI, so presumably we won't have to go through any further security in EWR before boarding our flight to the UK?

United have changed our flight time from PBI to EWR four times since we originally booked. We have gone from having a few hours before boarding our international flight to it now being 40 minutes :eek:. Is this possible and is it permissible for United to have allowed such a short transfer window?

At this present time, due to all the previous alterations, I'm not convinced that this won't change again before we actually fly in April ;).

What is the minimum transfer time at EWR for an international flight? We will have gone through security and passport control in PBI, so presumably we won't have to go through any further security in EWR before boarding our flight to the UK?

United have changed our flight time from PBI to EWR four times since we originally booked. We have gone from having a few hours before boarding our international flight to it now being 40 minutes :eek:. Is this possible and is it permissible for United to have allowed such a short transfer window?

At this present time, due to all the previous alterations, I'm not convinced that this won't change again before we actually fly in April ;).

Correct, you would not have to re-clear security at EWR, although they may ask to see passports again prior to boarding. I don't know what UA considers to be their MCT (minimum connect time) but I would not feel comfortable with 40 min prior to an international flight even if it is "legal" by UA rules. If your flight is delayed from PBI even a little bit, you risk missing your flight. They'd rebook you, but that could still be a hassle and you'd possibly miss a day of your trip if they can't get you out til the next day. Since UA has made such a drastic change in your flight times, you should be able to change your flights at no charge. Go online and find an alternate itinerary that suits you and then call them and request to change. I don't fly UA, but have done this successfully with DL numerous times.

Correct, you would not have to re-clear security at EWR, although they may ask to see passports again prior to boarding. I don't know what UA considers to be their MCT (minimum connect time) but I would not feel comfortable with 40 min prior to an international flight even if it is "legal" by UA rules. If your flight is delayed from PBI even a little bit, you risk missing your flight. They'd rebook you, but that could still be a hassle and you'd possibly miss a day of your trip if they can't get you out til the next day. Since UA has made such a drastic change in your flight times, you should be able to change your flights at no charge. Go online and find an alternate itinerary that suits you and then call them and request to change. I don't fly UA, but have done this successfully with DL numerous times.

Thanks for replying :). I've looked at alternatives and there are none from PBI to suit our time frame, however there are flights from FLL (which would be closer and easier for us to get to after the cruise). Do airlines usually allow changes to the route in circumstances such as these, or is this outside the limits of the purchased ticket?

Just FYI there is no passport control for exiting the U.S. They will look at your passport when you check in, and possibly again at the gate for your international flight (so, in EWR), but it's like the UK - you don't get any exit stamp or see an immigration officer for exiting the U.S.

Official standard MCT for UA to UA, domestic to international, is 40 minutes. Whether this is wise is another question. Personally, I'd never book that and would be asking UA for a rebooking. Remember the keys in this request: 1) Know what you want as an alternative - don't just say "put me on something else". Have a game plan. 2) Be polite but assertive. You'll get more flies with honey than vinegar. 3) Offer FLL as an alternative - don't argue that it's better for you, but instead suggest that it works well for UA.

Good luck.

Official standard MCT for UA to UA, domestic to international, is 40 minutes. Whether this is wise is another question. Personally, I'd never book that and would be asking UA for a rebooking. Remember the keys in this request: 1) Know what you want as an alternative - don't just say "put me on something else". Have a game plan. 2) Be polite but assertive. You'll get more flies with honey than vinegar. 3) Offer FLL as an alternative - don't argue that it's better for you, but instead suggest that it works well for UA.

Good luck.

Did just that and....success :).

Had the alternative flight from FLL details on hand (flight number, times, available seats etc.) and they agreed to change us. Feel so much better having nearly 3 hours between our flights; perhaps now we can use the transfer lounge ;)?

I have a flight through EWR to LHR next month and need to clear security again, as I arrive at A and depart from a different terminal (C?). I need to take the sky train between them and clear again, and am allowing three hours. Anything less would be ill advised at EWR.

Edited by ducklite