Live from the Crown Princess

Roses2

As we spend our last day at sea before docking in San Pedro, we thought it might be a good time to recap this 10 day cruise itinerary on the Crown Princess.

It has been a wonderful cruise. Despite all the previous problems with Norovirus, there has been no sign of a problem on this cruise.

Sign in and boarding at the pier in San Pedro was fast and efficient. We arrived at the pier about 11:30 and waited only a few minutes in the Elite lounge before boarding. We were in our cabin by 12:15.

We were offered an upsell from a mini to a full suite a week before sailing and took it so we were in a PH suite on the Riviera Deck. The complimentary embarkation dinner in Sabatini’s was, as usual, delightful. Sabatini’s breakfasts throughout the cruise were a highlight of each day.

We always meet with the Maitre d’ on embarkation day to have him reserve a table for 2 at an appointed time for the entire voyage so we can have the same wait staff each evening. On this cruise our Head Waiter, Romeo; waiter, Jerry; and assistant waiter Carmen all were absolutely terrific. All our meals in the Da Vinci dinning room were great.

Our room steward, John was one of the best we have had in 37 Princess cruises.

Our port calls were at San Diego, Cabo San Lucas, La Paz, Loreto, and Puerto Vallarta.

We spent our time in San Diego visiting with an old friend. There is so much to do and so easy to do it there, no recommendations are required.

We fished in Cabo and PV. If you are interested in fishing we believe the best deal is a 29 foot panga chartered from a well established fisherman and not through a broker. While a panga may carry 3-4 fishermen, it is only really comfortable fishing 2. We used Victor and his boat the Santi I in Cabo. He is very experienced, well known and well regarded. In Cabo you have to buy a license and bait in addition to the charter fee. The total for a 4 hour trip with tip and the extras runs about $250 (about $125 each person). In PV we used Louis and his custom 29’ panga the Babalou. His rate is all inclusive and works out to be the same price for 4 hours with tips. We caught good fighting fish on both trips and both were catch and release boats which we appreciate. Both of these boats have enclosed heads (toilets). The price compares favorably with other tours. Both are mentioned on Trip Advisor and you can find them by a Google search.

In Loreto we had a superb tour of the San Javier Mission with Wild Loreto. Miguel our driver/guide was terrific. We had 3 couples in a very comfortable small Mercedes bus. The tour included lunch and the price was just about one-half the price of the same tour offered by the ship. The drive up and back from Loreto into the mountains almost half way back to the Pacific side is interesting and varied. The old mission and its site are historic and pre-date the California missions. The lunch was authentic Mexican fare. It was a great tour.

In La Paz we, as well as almost everyone else, took the free shuttle from the port into town. We toured on our own seeing the cathedral, town square, and the malecon. We rode the shuttle back to the ship and shopped at the many local merchants stalls set up ship side.

The cruise spanned 2 Sundays and the NFL playoff games as well as the College Championship game were shown live on MUTS and also on the cabin TVs.

We do not attend the on board shows or other activities so we can not comment on them.

The 10 day cruise has a very nice mix of sea days with port days. The itinerary provides a broad spectrum of activities that should fit any and all interests. We had a great time cruising on Crown Princess.

P&J

Hi P&J,

Similar to our Christmas cruise on the Crown, I'm glad to hear you had a good time! Do you have the contact info for your Cabo Fishing charter? We will be stopping in Cabo during our return leg of our Panama trip in April. I'm curious, what did Princess charge you for your suite up sell?

Dave

We were assigned table 514 in the Da Vinci at 7:30 each evening. It was a 4 top for the 2 of us. The table was in a quiet corner near a window as we requested. The Maitre d' was very accommodating when we met with him.

In the Da Vinci virtually all the diners were dressed appropriately to the Princess guidelines on formal nights. There were very few exceptions.

P&J

We were assigned table 514 in the Da Vinci at 7:30 each evening. It was a 4 top for the 2 of us. The table was in a quiet corner near a window as we requested. The Maitre d' was very accommodating when we met with him.

In the Da Vinci virtually all the diners were dressed appropriately to the Princess guidelines on formal nights. There were very few exceptions.

P&J

Glad to hear about the dress code. On formal nights we always do the speciality restaurants. In all of my cruises, I've worn a tux and DW in a cocktail dress. I rarely get to dress up and what with the new baggage regulations, bringing along a suit or very least sports jacket adds to the weight and cost. I've never had any major problems with the cruise tux rental service. We also like to have a table for two in the MDR for the same reasons you've mentioned. Who was the Maitre D' for this cruise?

Sounds like you had a great time. We will be on the Star in 3 weeks going to the same ports. did you happen to hear what the water temp was in Loreto and La Paz? We are going snorkeling and am hoping it isn't too cold.:eek:

We are docked at the pier in San Pedro and checked the internet for the last time. We are waiting to have breakfast in the cabin. It is one of the great benefits of a full suite on the last morning.

In answer the remaining questions:

The Maitre d' is Boonzaaier. he is a South African (and was a lawyer). As for the water temperatures -- we have not the slightest idea, but a wild guess is that they were fine for any activities. The air temps all were in the mid to high 70s.

We hope you all have a great cruise.

P&J

My husband used to wear his tux. But it seems Princess is a little more casual than Celebrity. He wears a black suit and tie. I wear a cocktail dress for one formal night and the other I wear a long formal dress. The one with the Champagne Waterfall and Captain's Cocktail party. I love seeing all the ladies and gentlemen all dressed up.

Edited by LovetheSea