What is the best entertainment you have seen on any cruise?

pcsunlover

We are currently booked on the Caribbean Princess this March. It will be our 8th Princess cruise. Although we love Princess during the day, for the past couple of cruises we have found ourselves feeling less than enthusiastic about the entertainment at night (with the exception of Ye Olde Pub Night and the Beatlemaniacs on our Royal cruise). I realize that entertainment is subjective, but I am going to have a hard time convincing my husband to book another cruise on Princess unless something changes. Maybe it's partially our fault for sticking with one cruiseline for so long, but I think after 8 years (of our cruising with them) Princess could start to think outside of the box a little and come up with something other than the same old entertainment menu of production show, comedian, or magician.

The entertainment that is most memorable to me was on our very first cruise which was in 2006 with Royal Caribbean on the Radiance of the Seas. One night in the theater they had an act with the most unique entertainers we have ever seen. They were gauchos using whips, lassos and boleadoros in an act that was exciting and almost dangerous, yet very humorous at times. We walked out of the theater thinking "wow!" there's something you don't see often, if ever!

So I'm curious, what is the most memorable entertainment you have seen onboard one of your cruises, whether it was with Princess or not?

We are currently booked on the Caribbean Princess this March. It will be our 8th Princess cruise. Although we love Princess during the day, for the past couple of cruises we have found ourselves feeling less than enthusiastic about the entertainment at night (with the exception of Ye Olde Pub Night and the Beatlemaniacs on our Royal cruise). I realize that entertainment is subjective, but I am going to have a hard time convincing my husband to book another cruise on Princess unless something changes. Maybe it's partially our fault for sticking with one cruiseline for so long, but I think after 8 years (of our cruising with them) Princess could start to think outside of the box a little and come up with something other than the same old entertainment menu of production show, comedian, or magician.

The entertainment that is most memorable to me was on our very first cruise which was in 2006 with Royal Caribbean on the Radiance of the Seas. One night in the theater they had an act with the most unique entertainers we have ever seen. They were gauchos using whips, lassos and boleadoros in an act that was exciting and almost dangerous, yet very humorous at times. We walked out of the theater thinking "wow!" there's something you don't see often, if ever!

So I'm curious, what is the most memorable entertainment you have seen onboard one of your cruises, whether it was with Princess or not?

Not been on a Princess ship, yet (coming up!), but the best show I've seen onboard a ship was on a HAL ship - a show called "Encore". A major reason for this was the actual performers in this production. The show was good, but needs really great performers to pull it off. Sadly, it's my understanding that they didn't keep it.

After that, I'd have to say about half the production shows I've seen on our DCL cruises (yes, not all). Specifically The Golden Mickeys; Dreams; Twice Charmed; and Aladdin.

Wish I had seen them on at least one of my cruises! I don't know how many more jokes about dropping the soap in small showers I can take. :rolleyes:

Princess, if you're reading this, how about booking Alfred and Seymour on the 3/14/2015 Caribbean Princess? :D

Edited by pcsunlover

My favorite was on the Crown in 2008. The Flamenco guitarist and dancers. His name was Juan Carlos. Good show. We had a lot of Spaniards on the cruise and his show included both spanish and english. I remember him from my days of youth on the Ed Sullivan show. Ofcouse he was much older, but still great. It was a great show.

We love Princess but you are correct on the entertainment...they really need to improve on that aspect...the best we have had were both on the Allure of the Seas...first the OceanAria @ the Aqua Theater and second, their Blue Planet production.

Edited by TLC535

My favorite entertainment is watching the world pass by from the promenade deck :)

Overall best entertainment inside the ship was on the Grand Princess back in 2000 when she first came out. Loved the "Rhythums of the City" big production show and the other acts were all fantastic. This was back when you could attend a big show in the main theatre, then work your way aft as the night progressed and see three new shows every night. Could be big production shows, singers magicians, comedians, hyptnotists or jugglers. This was all in addition to the theme nights and game shows etc.

Now we get one show and maybe something else, and are lucky if the next night isn't a repeat. I wish they would go back to at least two new shows every night, plus the stuff hosted by the cruise staff. These should not replace regular performers but be in addition to.

Wish I had seen them on at least one of my cruises! I don't know how many more jokes about dropping the soap in small showers I can take. :rolleyes:

Princess, if you're reading this, how about booking Alfred and Seymour on the 3/14/2015 Caribbean Princess? :D

I second this! We will be joining you on 3/14 Caribbean Princess!

My favorite entertainment is watching the world pass by from the promenade deck :)

Overall best entertainment inside the ship was on the Grand Princess back in 2000 when she first came out. Loved the "Rhythums of the City" big production show and the other acts were all fantastic. This was back when you could attend a big show in the main theatre, then work your way aft as the night progressed and see three new shows every night. Could be big production shows, singers magicians, comedians, hyptnotists or jugglers. This was all in addition to the theme nights and game shows etc.

Now we get one show and maybe something else, and are lucky if the next night isn't a repeat. I wish they would go back to at least two new shows every night, plus the stuff hosted by the cruise staff. These should not replace regular performers but be in addition to.

I agree!

I have always enjoyed the great Production Shows in the Universe Lounge, on Coral Princess, fantastic performances for a relatively small ship, when asked why I enjoy the ship, the Lounge is always at the top of the list.

It is too d--- bad that Island Princess will no longer be able to carry the same shows, after she has been 'defaced' by the desecration of her Universe Lounge!

john

The Allure and Oasis offer the best shows at sea and they have so many different entertainment options. :)

We've thought about trying one of them just for that reason. But I've heard so much about how they feel more like a floating mall/resort than a ship. I don't want to lose that open air relaxing feeling we enjoy during the days outside on the Princess ships.

The one thing that we were disappointed with on Royal Princess over New Year was the very poor entertainment. The first comic was simply apalling, and many walked out, and so many of the shows were really low-key with absolutely no innovations whatsoever. The shows we saw were almost exactly the same as we would have seen 10 or 15 years ago. They mainly consisted of a random selection of songs, with a few high kicks, and on one show there was not even a change of costume!

We have never sailed on a ship where the 'Love and Marriage Game Show,' for example, was at 9.15 pm! We missed it as it was during our dinner, so we had to watch it on the TV. It can be highly amusing, and is normally a late night show as it can get quite risque, but having it at 9.15 it was mediocre and not amusing at all.

We have sailed on Oasis and Allure several times, but of course we were not expecting anything like the amazingly innovative shows on offer, but Princess really ought to be able to offer something a little more interesting than songs and dancing.

Princess offer a wonderful product, especially on Royal, and we had a fantastic time, but they really do need to move into the 21st Century with their entertainment. The theatre is very 'low-tech' and they could so easily have made a fantastic comedy club out of Princess Live. It was a very poor venue for Trivia quizzes but would have been ideal for a late night comedy club. They are really missing a trick.

Although our cruise on NCL's Jade left much to be desired, their entertainment was outstanding. Innovative, varied, and first class. If NCL can do it then Princess really need to start looking at modernising their shows.

Edited by ellie1145

Just off the Crown Monday...best comedian ever...Oscar Carlos or Carlos Oscar...he is soooo funny. Truly a great act....don't miss it. New material..doesn't talk about the shower size, toilet flushing, tons of food...he had unique, real life comedy.

With out any hesitation The West Enders on the 2008 Sapphire, Sydney to L.A. It was explained to us that this singing group did not normally do cruise ships, but were booked for this voyage. They did 4 shows and every one of them was SRO even the afternoon shows. The CD stated he did not realize what a gem he had on board, and mentioned he was wowed having never seen them before.

Would love to see them again, but don't really know if they do cruise ships.

The Beatlemaniacs.

Plus On the Bayou (only on the Coral and Island -- see it soon on the Island since the Universe Lounge will be no more after dry dock), Sarge (comedian/pianist), Steve Moris (musician/comedian), Carlos Oscar (comedian) and Steve Caouette (comedian/impressionist). I guess it is obvious that we like to laugh :D.

The one thing that we were disappointed with on Royal Princess over New Year was the very poor entertainment. The first comic was simply apalling, and many walked out, and so many of the shows were really low-key with absolutely no innovations whatsoever. The shows we saw were almost exactly the same as we would have seen 10 or 15 years ago. They mainly consisted of a random selection of songs, with a few high kicks, and on one show there was not even a change of costume!

We have never sailed on a ship where the 'Love and Marriage Game Show,' for example, was at 9.15 pm! We missed it as it was during our dinner, so we had to watch it on the TV. It can be highly amusing, and is normally a late night show as it can get quite risque, but having it at 9.15 it was mediocre and not amusing at all.

We have sailed on Oasis and Allure several times, but of course we were not expecting anything like the amazingly innovative shows on offer, but Princess really ought to be able to offer something a little more interesting than songs and dancing.

Princess offer a wonderful product, especially on Royal, and we had a fantastic time, but they really do need to move into the 21st Century with their entertainment. The theatre is very 'low-tech' and they could so easily have made a fantastic comedy club out of Princess Live. It was a very poor venue for Trivia quizzes but would have been ideal for a late night comedy club. They are really missing a trick.

Although our cruise on NCL's Jade left much to be desired, their entertainment was outstanding. Innovative, varied, and first class. If NCL can do it then Princess really need to start looking at modernising their shows.

Yes, I felt the same way about Princess Live. I thought it was a very poor venue for the Trivia and the game shows. There were no tables to place a drink or to write answers. Trying to form teams was ridiculous. We were really excited when we saw that they were trying to implement the Quest game like they have on RCCL, but it was at 9pm in Princess Live. Only around 10 people showed up. so disappointing. :( On RCCL, I remember it being more of an adult game that took place late at night. It was risque, but very funny!

Just off the Crown Monday...best comedian ever...Oscar Carlos or Carlos Oscar...he is soooo funny. Truly a great act....don't miss it. New material..doesn't talk about the shower size, toilet flushing, tons of food...he had unique, real life comedy.

I heard he was on and googles him. He is funny and I look forward to seeing him. On his videos he starts very slow, but is very funny.

Did you have Uber Rossi on. He is an accrobat comedian and is suppose to be on the Crown. His stuff on the net looks different and funny.