Concierge Class

AZbeachboy

I am new to X but have been on RCL a couple of times. I am trying to find a cruise for next year and want a veranda. My question is that is seems all verandas are Concierge Class. It that true and is it worth it.

Thanks.

Most of the veranda's are not concierge class. Concierge class is a special class with special amenities. On the M class ships some of the Concierge class staterooms are bigger and some have larger verandas. On the S class ships they are all the same size. I personally do not believe the Concierge class perks are worth the extra cost, many of them are just marketing fluff. I would only book them on an M class ship if I got the right cabin and the price was right. On S class ships I would only book them if they were around the same price as regular veranda cabins.

I am new to X but have been on RCL a couple of times. I am trying to find a cruise for next year and want a veranda. My question is that is seems all verandas are Concierge Class. It that true and is it worth it.

Thanks.

There are a few different categories of cabins with Verandas---

All of the cabins designated 1A, 1B, 1C, 2A, 2B, 2C and 2D are cabins with verandas--but not Concierge or Aqua Class...

Concierge Class cabins are categories C1, C2 and C3...

Aqua Class cabins are A1 and A2...

On the S-Class ships, all of these are basically the same size and layout...OIn C-Class, the Concierge class are only slightly larger...

What you get for moving up to Concierge or Aqua Class are some different or additional amenities...One of the main amenities to Aqua Class is that you get your meals in a smaller restaurant with a slightly different menu than the MDR--which many people seem to love...and some amenities related to the Spa...Concierge Class amenities are relatively minor--bottle of champagne in the cabin, slightly nicer showerhead, robe and shampoos/lotions...stuff like that--totally unnecessary in the eyes of most...

But, when they are doing the 123GO promotion, they give you, say in the case of Europe cruises, all three extras rather than two in the lower categories...and, on all cruises, that extra point toward Captains Club levels...

We seem to often end up in Concierge Class--but not because it's our initial choice. I'll often book an "ordinary" balcony cabin, then watch the prices--and "upgrade" when Concierge Class Prices dip...If the difference in price is relatively minor--and I can snag a cabin I particularly like (usually a "hump" cabin with an oversizerd balcony--of which there are several in the Concierge level)--I will call my TA and/or Celebrity and have them move me up. But, typically, the initial price difference is just too hard to justify for me--I'm not paying too many extra dollars for a bottle of cheap champagne and a plusher robe....and, for me, the extra point means little as I'm already to Elite Plus...

Note, on The S-class ships, those 2D balconies do have an "obstructed view" and the 2C a "partially obstructed view"--but they are still a great buy--the 2D obstruction is generally a tender which rises only to the level of the balcony railing...and the 2C obstructon is typically a lifeboat which only rises to the balcony floor level...

Solstice Class ships

Total Inside Cabins 102

Total Outside Cabins 1,323

Cabins & Suites w/ verandas 1,177

Suites 56

Millennium Class ship

Total Inside Cabins 206

Total Outside Cabins 813

Cabins & Suites w/ verandas 578

Suites 50

As stated earlier most balcony cabins are not Concierge class. Their are a few perks for a Concierge cabin that we enjoy, mainly footstools on the balcony, and a bottle of sparkling wine in the cabin. IMHO not worth the extra cost. Currently on many cruises the 123 All Inclusive promo applies to Concierge cabins so that may make them a better value than a standard balcony.

In my opinion it is worth booking Concierge because of the cabin locations and the extra points.

That is my view and it is what I do.

Extra points are certainly worth it if you need them.

All things being equal (meaning good availability in all categories) the only location advantage for CC are the few at the very back of the ship. If location means mid-ship or a hump cabin, you can find these with regular balconies as well. Just clarifying the point for the OP

Thanks to all for clearing up some questions. One advantage that leads to one question is that the class has priority boarding. I have 16 cruises spread amoung different lines. I have 2 on RCCL. So I would be a first time passanger on Celbrity although I would be the RCCL past passanger rate but not the other advantages. So, how is boarding on Celebrity without that priority. Thanks again, Jim.

Thanks to all for clearing up some questions. One advantage that leads to one question is that the class has priority boarding. I have 16 cruises spread amoung different lines. I have 2 on RCCL. So I would be a first time passanger on Celbrity although I would be the RCCL past passanger rate but not the other advantages. So, how is boarding on Celebrity without that priority. Thanks again, Jim.

We were in Conceierge Class for our December 2014 cruise, and for boarding that particular time it made a huge difference. The "regular" boarding was out the door when we arrived, but we kept walking down the wickets until we got to Concierge, which was the last line beyond Zenith and Suites. There was almost no one in the line.

On boarding other cruises it has made little difference, but it's nice to have, just in case.

Booked concierge for my Millie cruise next week, solely because it will get me to Elite for my next cruise.

Same here on Equinox.... Elite on next cruise.

AND, I booked a concierge guarantee, which was $500/pp LESS than a regular verandah. The cabin was assigned within 4 weeks, and am pleased with location. :)

Priority boarding is just a seperate line, very often the regular lines are shorter.

Thanks to all for clearing up some questions. One advantage that leads to one question is that the class has priority boarding. I have 16 cruises spread amoung different lines. I have 2 on RCCL. So I would be a first time passanger on Celbrity although I would be the RCCL past passanger rate but not the other advantages. So, how is boarding on Celebrity without that priority.
Boarding lines can vary greatly, not only from one cruise to another but even at different times on the same day for the same cruise.

Sometimes the Concierge line can be shorter than the regular line and sometimes longer, depending on how many other concierge passengers happen to show up at the same time you do.

As they have a lot of different priority categories they sometimes combine different categories on the same line, so it could be a line for concierge plus some other category.

I could not see paying any extra money to book concierge just for a boarding priority, unless there are other features of concierge that appeal to you as well.

Jim:

Often times our easiest boardings have been a result of that particular embarkation port. Some are definitely better than others at handling crowds, and can move people through quickly. If boarding is a concern, then try to show up after the crush, and the cabins are available. You will most likely walk right on board, regardless of your cabin category. Every embarkation is different (especially if the ship was delayed into port or being cleared).

OP,

Priority boarding is a hit or miss event. There is no way to project when the lines will be shorter.

Boarding can be assigned by decks on some sailings but not all. Lines have been known to be longer for suites than general boarding. You just never know ahead of time.

One thing is for sure, the moment you step on board you will be greeted with a glass of sparkling wine or mimosa!

Have you requested your Captain's Club number? It is now possible to do so before you sail on Celebrity. This will give you credit for all Celebrity cruises. In the past you could not apply until after your first cruise and thus not have that sailing credited to your account. You can contact the Captain's Club by phone or e mail. The contacts are on the Celebrity web page....if it's working. Your best bet is to contact them during the week. The site is more problematic on the weekends.

OP,

Priority boarding is a hit or miss event. There is no way to project when the lines will be shorter.

Boarding can be assigned by decks on some sailings but not all. Lines have been known to be longer for suites than general boarding. You just never know ahead of time.

One thing is for sure, the moment you step on board you will be greeted with a glass of sparkling wine or mimosa!

Have you requested your Captain's Club number? It is now possible to do so before you sail on Celebrity. This will give you credit for all Celebrity cruises. In the past you could not apply until after your first cruise and thus not have that sailing credited to your account. You can contact the Captain's Club by phone or e mail. The contacts are on the Celebrity web page....if it's working. Your best bet is to contact them during the week. The site is more problematic on the weekends.

Thanks. It good to know about the Captain Circle. I do get a prior cruiser rate because I have travled on RCCL. But I don't get nor expect the benefits from X. I just want to travel and experience their style crusing.

We have always sailed with balconies. The local Celebrity representative talked us into trying Concierge - just OK in our opinion. Then she suggested Aqua class; that has been a hit with us! Major additions that count for us are the restaurant Blu and the Persian Gardens. Hitting the right price point helps!

Thanks to all for clearing up some questions. One advantage that leads to one question is that the class has priority boarding..

Welllllllllllllllllllllllllllll:eek:

Sorta, kinda, I guess, one could call it priority. It aint a true 'you go to the front of the line' kinda priority!

• 4 weeks later...

For some reason I thought Concierge Class also included nightly hors d'oeuvres, a larger in-room breakfast menu, a pillow menu, and priority seating in the MDR and speciality venues.

I would also expect personalized concierge service - though, I'm not sure what that means on a ship where everyone is treated like a celebrity :)

I booked CC for a quick getaway in March. I hope I'm not disappointed.

I've added the extra's from the Celebrity website because it sounds like they might have cut back on some of these and I'm hoping people here can tell me if that's not the case:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard-celebrity/staterooms-concierge-class-stateroom

In addition Concierge Class staterooms include:

Services

Priority check-in - sounds like this is hit or miss

Express luggage delivery - any thoughts about this service? any notable difference?

Personalized Concierge service - I'm not sure what I'd want or need, but this sounds like a no based on comments.

Priority disembarkation based on your travel needs - Not important to me - I'd like to be the last passenger off the ship :)

Complimentary shoeshine service - I think this is a nice little perk - shiny shoes rock!

Access to the exclusive Concierge Class Pre-departure Lounge - Not important to me, but okay

Dining

Main and specialty restaurant seating time preferences - I hope this is true. Any problems getting the time you want in CC?

Expanded room service menu - I like this a lot - especially for breakfast. Does anyone have copies of the expanded menu?

Amenities

Welcome Blanc de Blancs sparkling wine with a commemorative label featuring exclusive art work from the ArtCenter/South Florida artists - I like this.. free drinks

Pillow menu to suit your sleeping preferences - Very nice, I'm picky about pillows.

Daily delivery of Afternoon Savories - I think this is a nice touch

Plush bathrobes - I like this - the plusher the better - lol

Fresh fruit I like this a lot - fresh fruit in room is something I'd pay extra for

Custom-blended bath amenities I don't know what this means

Use of binoculars and golf umbrella I like the idea of having binoculars - last time we sailed Celebrity was on the Solstice and there was a lot of action in the water - our balcony was the place to be if you wanted to see dolphins, other ships, etc...

Extra handheld hair dryer - No important for me

Celebrity tote bag - I like a nice tote bag, I hope this is still available.

Stateroom Features

Hansgrohe® massaging showerhead This sounds divine

Edited by DSJ28

Concierge can be very helpful in added points especially if you are going on a longer cruise and cruising solo, where you get 2times the points. A 16 night cruise gives me 160 points versus 96 for a regular veranda. And on some cruises you get more 123 perks for booking concierge.:D

The only other thing I really care about are the superior pillows in concierge versus what you can get in veranda. Don't care about canapes, footstool, etc.