Caribbean Cruise in Early September

getaway_goddess

I'm a first time cruiser and I found an amazing deal on my dream cruise, Norwegian Getaway, for September 5, 2015! This is hurricane season, so I am a little nervous. Has anyone cruised in the caribbean in September that can give their experience? I'm not so much concerned about ports being switched (the only one I care about is Nassau) I am more concerned about the top deck always being unaccesible because of rain, or the boat being really rocky and getting really sea sick. Are these concerns even realistic? Can't wait to hear your experiences!

I'm a first time cruiser and I found an amazing deal on my dream cruise, Norwegian Getaway, for September 5, 2015! This is hurricane season, so I am a little nervous. Has anyone cruised in the caribbean in September that can give their experience? I'm not so much concerned about ports being switched (the only one I care about is Nassau) I am more concerned about the top deck always being unaccesible because of rain, or the boat being really rocky and getting really sea sick. Are these concerns even realistic? Can't wait to hear your experiences!

I have cruised in October and this is one of those things that varies from day to day (our cruise was fine, but the following two cruises were impacted by Hurricane Sandy). On a ship rain storms at sea tend to be brief and the Captain will do his best to steer clear of any big storms. It is possible that the seas may be rough if a storm is in the vicinity but that's the chance you take cruising at any time of the year. I would go and make the best of it. I would expect that the Getaway's size will make for smooth sailing for the most part.

we have cruised several times during hurricane season. Our first cruise was two weeks after Wilma. There was a storm 676 miles southeast of us. We had rocky seas for 1 1/2 days, but beautiful sunshine.

My advice is to take out travel insurance. This way if any of your trip to/from the cruise is impacted due to weather, you are covered for the flight changes, hotels, meals etc or if the cruise is delayed due to a storm, you will also be covered for the extra expenses.

Hurricane season is a full six months of the year. Most of us don't want to give up cruising for so many months. I've cruised many times in September and would again without hesitation. No one can promise you sunny skies any month of the year,.

In September you will find cruising no different than at any other time of the year. You may miss a port or 2 but that can happen for reasons other than weather. We lost all our ports on one cruise when the ship had mechanical problems. The itinerary was totally changed,

In September prices go down and there are fewer children.

We took a cruise last August. Our ship skipped going to the private island due to a tropical storm. The captain safely steered us away from the storm. If it weren't for the news coverage on the televisions, I would not have known it was going on. It was one of the smoothest cruises we've ever been on.

We are on the Triumph in September and storms were a bit of a concern for us as well. We decided that getting to go on the cruise was worth risking a little rough weather.:rolleyes: We did go with a western Caribbean itinerary hoping it might be smoother.