Cabin Assignment: Caribe Rm# 303 (Emerald)

monicakm

So we finally got a room assignment today! When I looked at the deck plan, the first thing I noticed was how much larger the room seemed to be. Then I noticed it was directly across from the elevators. Called Princess since I knew this wasn't a suite but it was larger than the other B2 rooms. She said it was 395sq (130 of that was balcony). It's a wheelchair accessible cabin. Princess rep said it was larger than a mini suite. It doesn't have a bathtub but does anyone know if the shower is larger? Is everything just like the smaller room next to it but a little wider to accept a wheelchair? HOW WOULD YOU FEEL ABOUT BEING RIGHT NEXT TO THE ELEVATORS? I've never been close to them on a ship but have been in a hotel. It can be quite noisy at all hours of the night.

Monica

So we finally got a room assignment today! When I looked at the deck plan, the first thing I noticed was how much larger the room seemed to be. Then I noticed it was directly across from the elevators. Called Princess since I knew this wasn't a suite but it was larger than the other B2 rooms. She said it was 395sq (130 of that was balcony). It's a wheelchair accessible cabin. Princess rep said it was larger than a mini suite. It doesn't have a bathtub but does anyone know if the shower is larger? Is everything just like the smaller room next to it but a little wider to accept a wheelchair? HOW WOULD YOU FEEL ABOUT BEING RIGHT NEXT TO THE ELEVATORS? I've never been close to them on a ship but have been in a hotel. It can be quite noisy at all hours of the night.

Monica

My son has stayed in handicapped rooms when he cruises - he's a disabled vet and has to use a wheelchair.

The rooms are GREAT! The room itself has more room and the bathroom is much larger. The shower is a roll-in with a shower curtain. It's big enough for a wheelchair. The toilet has grab bars. There is actually enough room for two in the bathroom. The cabin door is also a bit wider to allow a wheelchair to fit.

Being next to the elevators shouldn't be a problem.

You will also have a larger balcony as Caribe deck (on the Grand class of ships) has the largest balconies on the ship.

They only assign a wheelchair accessible cabin to a non-disabled person if they have already decided that they won't actually need it for someone in a wheelchair.

Take your upgrade and do the happy dance. :D:D:D

The only time you might notice the elevators is when people are getting on or off and talking loudly. I have never noticed the sound of the elevator itself when I've had a room close to it. This sounds like a great cabin.

I didn't expect to hear the elevators themselves, I expect to hear loud people (I don't think anyone knows how to be quiet anymore) getting on and off of the elevators. But I'm going to keep the larger room and hope there are no drunks exiting the elevators in the middle of the night :p I'm excited about the larger bathroom! :)

Monica

Been by the elevetaors or across I should say and never neard a thing. Princess cabins are usually pretty quiet. But a great location and balcony.

If you like it you better mark it no upgrade.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

We were in an accessible cabin (B304) on the Caribbean Princess. The door opened right into the hallway in front of the elevators. We never had any problems with noise. The shower is huge. There's no lip going into it or into the bathroom since both are wheelchair accessible. There's a drain in the floor covered by a metal grate. If you're not careful, it's easy to get water onto the rest of the bathroom floor.

The only downside to this cabin for me was the height of the desk. It's tall enough so that a person in a wheelchair can use it, which made it too tall for me to use.

I especially liked the extra drawer space we had. You lose some closet space, but there's still plenty of room.

We were in C303 on the Emerald on our last cruise. It is huge! There is very little counter space in the bathroom, but the shower is the kind that a chair can wheel into. I think it had a fold down seat too. No rim to hold water in, but it didn't get too wet. Shower curtain, not door.

The room is essentially a room and a half wide. The two side-by-side accessible cabins are the same with as three regular cabins. The best part?? The balcony is also an extra half-width.

It did not have the normal closet configuration. They were against the wall rather than forming a wall between the bathroom and bed area. There was also a large desk.

We didn't hear the elevators. And if I remember correctly, the laundry is just a few doors down.

Monica

It will be HUGE!!!!

This is a link to the pix I took of our guarantee mini-suite. Of course, the room will be different, but the bathroom should be very similar. ENJOY!!!!:D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1959727

And don't forget to "share" it on our cabin crawl

Edited by JF - retired RRT