Beverage Package Gratuities Update: 15% to 18%

Celebrity Cruises

This is my first cruise, so I am ignorant on this. We got a free upgrade to the "Classic Package", the one with low end alcohol and are happy with this because we really don't drink. After reading some of these posts, I have a question- does the price of the package include the gratuity or is that added on to our credit card? I was under the impression that it was an add to our card but, now I'm thinking it's included in the cost of the package. Please help me with this. Thank you!

You're good. The gratuities are included in your free drink package.

This is my first cruise, so I am ignorant on this. We got a free upgrade to the "Classic Package", the one with low end alcohol and are happy with this because we really don't drink. After reading some of these posts, I have a question- does the price of the package include the gratuity or is that added on to our credit card? I was under the impression that it was an add to our card but, now I'm thinking it's included in the cost of the package. Please help me with this. Thank you!

Grats are included.

Hope you enjoy your first cruise but be warned they can be addictive.

I don't drink but always get the soda package [because I drink a lot of that] and the convenience is just so great, I suspect that even if I didn't drink enough to break even [as if that's gonna happen] I'd still get it, it is just so nice not having to worry about anything.

When it comes to Celebrity (and most cruise lines) and gratuities, the term "all-inclusive" only means that, certain or even most passengers receive complementary gratuities. The underlying system of a base stateroom fares and gratuities/tipping remains unchanged. "All-inclusive" for Celebrity is not really all-inclusive. For example, if you order room service, it is still appropriate for one to tip the delivery because they are not included in the free gratuities.

That is the way they have done it. As with the arrangement to include standard gratuities and prognostications of doom though, things can and do change without those proclaimed consequences.

Please don't think I'm some arrogant American pushing our ways. I'm definitely not.

What I am saying is that Celebrity and every cruiseline does what any good business does, i.e. it creates policies, implements procedures and utilizes practices that are suitable for the majority of its customers. And being the richest and most affluent nation, it should surprise nobody that Americans will form the majority on most cruises around the world--even in Asia or Australia. Now, it may not be a pleasant or fair proposition for Aussies and others to be "forced" to accept our customs, but it is the reality.

While I agree with much of which you say for the sake of a balanced argument the bolded portion of your post is inherently untrue. The majority of cruises from Australia are filled by Australian customers. In fact on my last Rhapsody OTS cruise I don't recall meeting any US passengers.

In the theatre one of the nights they were asking for people from each country and when they asked for people from the USA there was silence. In the very well attended trivia sessions they had to change the questions due to the many requests for Australian questions.

On Solstice while there were a number of people from the USA but they were still a much lower percentage than those from Australia and NZ.

I would expect that Quantum OTS when based in China will also have a high percentage of locals and indeed is being set up and staffed to cater toward that demographic. This will present it's special challenges as far as tipping goes as it is almost a non-existent practice in China despite very low wages paid to their service staff.

Edited by woodyren

Thanks for doing this.

I'm still waiting for Celebrity Cruises here to get back to me with an answer. This thread has really gotten crazy. I wish he or she would get back to me so I could stop reading it. It's already February 2 in Australia so they must know something. We fly out on Tuesday.

Cynthia

I think the news needs to come from the US, and as it has been the weekend in the US, hopefully we have news US Monday / AUS Tuesday. I will update you as soon as I know.

I have just emailed two contacts I have regarding clarification on the changes.

- will the menus onboard australian cruises be updated to include the 18% gratuity.

- will the allowance on the classic and beverage packages be increased for australian cruises to account for the increased beverage prices.

- will there be less inclusions for those traveling on the classic package.

I will update when I have a response.

Hi there,

Thank you all for being patient as we looked into this for our Australian guests. We can confirm that guests are able to receive the same beverages as before the gratuities increased.

Hi there,

Thank you all for being patient as we looked into this for our Australian guests. We can confirm that guests are able to receive the same beverages as before the gratuities increased.

Thanks for checking. I'm looking forward to our Solstice 34 day cruise on February 8.

Cynthia

Hi there,

Hi celebrity. Do you know if this is also true for uk departures as from memory it follows the same principal?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi celebrity. Do you know if this is also true for uk departures as from memory it follows the same principal?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi there,

Same goes for UK. Guests with a beverage package should not be impacted by this, and will still be able to buy the beverages under each package.

That horse just won't die...[emoji6]

It is, however, an interesting read. It seems that some Americans are moving towards the anti-tipping camp (if not already there) and feel the need for change. I also got the impression that some people are getting a bit too greedy.

From another, earlier, article going along the same lines (http://www.psmag.com/business-economics/tipping-point-beginning-end-gratuities-79244) :

"...only about 13 percent of Americans say they tip to influence future service...

60 percent of Americans say they tip out of guilt. Sixty-eight percent say they do so out of gratitude. Eighty-five percent, because it’s the social norm. And four percent, pricelessly, to avoid being yelled at."

And some end up tipping way over 20% because they can't add up...

You're good. The gratuities are included in your free drink package.

We've come to learn that "free" is a relative term. We recently priced a cruise with and without the "free" beverage package. Long story short, without the "free" beverage package the cost is $1400 pp; with the "free" beverage package the cost is $1700. Hummm... Interesting definition of "free". Guess what we went for... Yep, the "free" package. The $300 difference far exceeds the cost of buying a complete beverage package on its own. Anyway it goes though.... "Free" really isn't "free".... But it's good!

Note: dollar amounts listed are made up. Difference between though is accurate.

That horse just won't die...[emoji6]

It is, however, an interesting read. It seems that some Americans are moving towards the anti-tipping camp (if not already there) and feel the need for change. I also got the impression that some people are getting a bit too greedy.

From another, earlier, article going along the same lines (http://www.psmag.com/business-economics/tipping-point-beginning-end-gratuities-79244) :

"...only about 13 percent of Americans say they tip to influence future service...

60 percent of Americans say they tip out of guilt. Sixty-eight percent say they do so out of gratitude. Eighty-five percent, because it’s the social norm. And four percent, pricelessly, to avoid being yelled at."

And some end up tipping way over 20% because they can't add up...

And some tip because they're fortunate enough to be able to do so. This includes tipping cruise ship staff, restaraunt employees, newspaper delivery persons, trash collectors at Christmas, postal woman, hairdresser, etc., etc. I don't have to, I'm not guilted into it, I'm not subsidizing their income intentionally. - I'm just appreciating their efforts and services and am lucky enough to be able to do so.

I was once asked what I was doing for the recession. Since I was one of the lucky ones and was not in jeapordy of losing my job I could answer with - I continue doing what I would do otherwise. Eat out, travel, stay at hotels, go to the show, etc. ... And that includes tipping when I can.

I'm betting I'm not the only American doing so.

We've come to learn that "free" is a relative term. We recently priced a cruise with and without the "free" beverage package. Long story short, without the "free" beverage package the cost is $1400 pp; with the "free" beverage package the cost is $1700. Hummm... Interesting definition of "free". Guess what we went for... Yep, the "free" package. The $300 difference far exceeds the cost of buying a complete beverage package on its own. Anyway it goes though.... "Free" really isn't "free".... But it's good!

Note: dollar amounts listed are made up. Difference between though is accurate.

And I have the opposite experience. On our Hawaii cruise last year we paid $1,600 for a 1a and got a "free" drink package. People that we met on board paid $2,300 for a 2c which didn't come with a drink package. Pretty sure I can call mine "free" :)

And I have the opposite experience. On our Hawaii cruise last year we paid $1,600 for a 1a and got a "free" drink package. People that we met on board paid $2,300 for a 2c which didn't come with a drink package. Pretty sure I can call mine "free" :)

Yes but pricing with or without "freebies" seems to be a lottery at the best of times.

Exactly. It's also very dependent on if you drink much or not. We would probably add the package if we didn't get one so it's a huge savings for us.

So true I tell people all the time, do the sums.

I drink Diet Coke and Water and nothing else so I always get the soda package, last cruise [or so I tell people] I only broke even, unless they were charging more than 50 cents a can.

To me the convenience is also a factor, we've started buying a package for herself even though she often doesn't break even because it is just so much easier than her worrying will I get a "whatever it is" or not and while I say we're on a cruise get what you want she thinks about the cost, if we buy the package she has whatever she feels like.

And some tip because they're fortunate enough to be able to do so. This includes tipping cruise ship staff, restaraunt employees, newspaper delivery persons, trash collectors at Christmas, postal woman, hairdresser, etc., etc. I don't have to, I'm not guilted into it, I'm not subsidizing their income intentionally. - I'm just appreciating their efforts and services and am lucky enough to be able to do so.

I was once asked what I was doing for the recession. Since I was one of the lucky ones and was not in jeapordy of losing my job I could answer with - I continue doing what I would do otherwise. Eat out, travel, stay at hotels, go to the show, etc. ... And that includes tipping when I can.

do you tip your doctor? Or dont you appreciate what they do?

Would you still tip them if you were a postal worker, truck driver, railway employee etc etc. Good on you for being generous but reading between the lines what you tip is a drop in a bucket (relatively) from your disposable income. I appreciate their efforts as well as I hope the folk who travel in the area of public transport where I worked 7 days a week, 12 hour weekends and call outs at 3-4 am for many many many years did. I tip the minimum that is customary as I agree that I should observe the local custom but I will v never adjust that up or down because it is not my place to manage employee behaviours. If I am happy I will let them know. If I am dissatisfied I will also tell them in a polite manner. If the service doesn't achieve my expectation after this I will talk to the manager/supervisor. My expectations are not high. I don't want or like to be swooned or fussed over. I don't want some one to remember my drink as I can (touch wood) still remember myself and I expect to be served in turn not after a person who has tipped (bribed in Aussie) more than me.

This has been asked a few times but I can't recall a reasonable reply.

If tips are a percentage of total cost and the total cost of things rise with inflation would not the amount an employee receives from tips be rising at a similar rate without an increase in %. Many of the rest of us who work for wages get a rise in line with inflation (if we are lucky enough to get a rise in line with the CPI) unless we are promoted etc.

I have no view because as I said I just go with the minimum according to local custom. It just seems odd that the % of bill is rising.