Jim & Kat on Navigator: our 1st cruise --commentary & thoughts

OctoberKat

It's Friday night, the fourth of our ten-night cruise. We're off the Eastern coast of Central America somewhere between Honduras and Guatemala. I've visited both countries previously in 1965 but it's all new to Jim.

We boarded Navigator Tuesday, 27 Jan., after arriving at Port of Miami around noon. Processing commenced at 12:30pm and we waited until the line was attenuated before joining the queue. We were on board by 1pm and lunched adequately at the Pool Grill. Wandered the ship a bit, hung out in the library, got hooked up to the internet, then were cleared for our master suite (901) at 2:40.

And, ladies and gents, that suite is a hit: spacious, comfortable with lovely bathroom featuring three (!) sinks plus a powder room off the foyer. The decor is somewhat Vegas which is not our preference but doesn't grate. The balcony is smaller than we'd expected but it's working out. The bed is dreamy comfy, the linens delicious. Walk-in closet appreciated. Many electrical outlets so easy to charge iPad, shaver, etc. lots of clocks: one on each side of the bed and another on the ledge below the wide-screen TV in front of the bed (there's another wide-screen TV in the living room).

Now, about those electronics: the illy espresso machine is too difficult to work; Raju the butler thinks there's something wrong with it. The remote for the living- room TV is broken. I have (tah-dah) been successful in getting the CD player to work so we have our fave classical music which we greatly appreciate.

The suite is in good condition, not showing much wear and tear. The two room stewards keep us super clean and tidy with ostensible ease and grace. They are very kind to us. Raju the butler is a prince who brings breakfast every morning, supplies coffee service twice a day and plies me with good French wine.

Flowers! Some here may recall I am the high-maintenance cruiser who worried about flowers in the suite. Kunal Kamlani intervened here on CC promising I would have lovely flowers, and I did, bless his pahtooties: three gorgeous arrangements and an exquisite orchid plant.

So ends Part 1 of the Jim & Kat Cruise Dialogs, more to come, stay tuned.

Edited by OctoberKat

Because Jim is susceptible to motion sickness, I booked this cruise with a fair amount of trepidation. Yet the scopalomine patches is working perfectly and the ship's motion hasn't been an issue. Nor is he sleepy during the day which side effect I feared.

About that motion: our suite is as forward as you can get and there is some gentle motion most of the time. We're enjoying it greatly! We're reminded constantly that we're not on terra firma and that is agreeably, exotically exciting. We really feel as if we're cruising at sea, lovely and intoxicating.

This first time around I was in a great rush to board so we arrived at the port close to noon. I wouldn't do that again. Rather, I'd plan to arrive at the port about 2:15pm assuming the cabin would be available shortly thereafter and the luggage would find its way eventually.

Speaking of luggage, it often is recommended hereabouts on CC that one board trundling a rolling carry-on. We did not but saw plenty of folk so encumbered and we were sorry for them.

So, that's my take-away: arrive later in the afternoon shortly before cabins are accessible around 2:30pm and forget the rolling encumbrance. And, remember to tip the longshoreman who moves your luggage from the car trunk to the baggage cage two feet away. I am pleased and proud to support union workers and their families. We had four modest pieces of luggage and a backpack so tipped $20.

While some people may consider it a bother - may I kindly suggest that anyone carrying medical supplies, prescriptions or equipment of any kind keep their bags with them at ALL times, no matter how difficult it may be to manage. A couple of years ago my carry on, which contains medication and never leaves my side, was off loaded from the bus and put it with the general luggage and transported to the ship separately. I wanted to take the bag on the bus with me but due to problems with one of the buses not arriving and overcrowding, they were insisting that all bags go underneath the bus with the promise we would get those bags as soon as we got off. That did not happen.

Long story short - the bag was not found until almost 11:00pm, at which time I was already making arrangements to leave the ship at the first port the next day. I learned my lesson - now, no matter what is said or demanded, my carry-on (roll aboard) NEVER leaves my side, no matter how difficult it may be to manage.

gnomie :)

Gnomie, Absolutely the right way. I have some medication that allows me to function; if missing for a day--very unpleasant. I always keep my carry on. If I remember right, Jacquie would have been even worse off in the Baltic without her carry on due to the loss of luggage at Heathrow.

Surrender your carry on at your own peril:eek:

Thank you, borntocruise!

Meds with us in my oversize purse. No trundling necessary and I appreciate needs and circumstances will differ person to person and over time.

Our first dinner aboard was an underwhelming meal in Prime 7. Jim's Dover sole was very good, my prime rib steak was tasteless. Shrimp cocktail overdone. Service was stiff, the venue too crowded with oversize, clunky furniture. In contrast the following night's dinner in Compass Rose was first rate (yay lobster!). We are continuing to dine in Compass Rose; our lunch choice is La Veranda but one must arrive well before 2pm because they pack up that buffet licketysplit. Pool Grill was a bust for us. We're taking breakfast in our suite served impeccably and on time by Raju the butler. Coffee quality goes up and down but is always drinkable.

Loving the ice cream bar at the pool. We're starting to refer to this voyage as "the great ice cream cruise of 2015." Otherwise, we are eating more modestly than I expected, never feeling uncomfortable and we've been successful in abjuring fried foods.

More to come.

Edited by OctoberKat

Thank you, borntocruise!

Loving the ice cream bar at the pool. We're starting to refer to this voyage as "the great ice cream cruise of 2015." Otherwise, we are eating more modestly than I expected, never feeling uncomfortable and we've been successful in abjuring fried foods.

More to come.

Little known secret - if there is a particular flavor of ice cream that you like that is not being offered, a note to the pastry chef (who is in charge of making the ice cream) will usually result in that flavor appearing the next day!

We love the ice cream - so much so, we either treat ourselves to ice cream in the afternoon or dessert after dinner - don't do both. Just wish that the ice cream was available later than it is for when we return from excursions later in the afternoon and do not want to do tea.

Glad to hear that you are enjoying your cruise and love reading about it.

Gnomie, Absolutely the right way. I have some medication that allows me to function; if missing for a day--very unpleasant. I always keep my carry on. If I remember right, Jacquie would have been even worse off in the Baltic without her carry on due to the loss of luggage at Heathrow.

Surrender your carry on at your own peril:eek:

We also carry our electronics and documentation in our small carryons, along with meds and my jewellery. Wouldn't think about checking that, anywhere.

Little known secret - if there is a particular flavor of ice cream that you like that is not being offered, a note to the pastry chef (who is in charge of making the ice cream) will usually result in that flavor appearing the next day!

Actually, you can order anything that they have ingredients for 24 hours in advance. That is something luxury cruise lines are known for. We have ordered Miso Glazed Sea Bass, lobster and other favorites numerous times on Regent. We have also enjoyed group Indian meals and a Filipino meal -- the options are endless.

Sounds like there hasn't been much improvement in the P7/LV space. Also disappointing to hear that P7 isn't favored by what seems to be the majority of Navigator passengers. I wonder if the kitchen that was built (or designated) for P7 is smaller than on the other ships. P7 on the Navigator was the only time in all of our cruises that we sent back a dish three times.

It is always interesting to read reviews from a newbie.

Edited by Travelcat2

Thank you, liptastic. Good on you for reminding me about LV for dinner; that takes care of tonight's meal.

Yes, of course, travel documents and my tablet join the meds in my purse which, I confess, is a messenger bag.

Edited by OctoberKat

I agree with you about waiting till a little bit later to board and avoid to crowd. But my husband always wants to get on board ASAP, so I have to have aplan to distract him if I want to board later.

Dover sole in P7 is my favorite. Sometimes it is on the menu in CR too.

I guess I can understand boarding later if you want to go straight to your suite. But I would still recommend boarding early in Miami and taking a table on the aft of La Veranda. Not sure why you dined at the pool grill as your first stop I never ate their once as I found it not to be our taste (both food and some of the other guests). Enjoy the remainder of your cruise.

I guess I can understand boarding later if you want to go straight to your suite. But I would still recommend boarding early in Miami and taking a table on the aft of La Veranda. Not sure why you dined at the pool grill as your first stop I never ate their once as I found it not to be our taste (both food and some of the other guests). Enjoy the remainder of your cruise.

Agree on all points!

In terms of a rolling carry-on, when I recommend taking one carry-on with us onboard, I'm talking about the type of carry-on that fits under an airplane seat -- not something bulky or difficult to manage.

Whether to board early or late is personal preference. Some passengers board early and leave the ship shortly after check-in to return to the city for lunch, etc. It's nice to have the check-in part behind you (this insures that you will not be at the end of a line after a bus or two drops off passengers). We typically board early, have a leisurely lunch on the ship in LV, set up our internet connection and relax. Once we are able to go to the suite, I'm ready to unpack while sipping champagne:-)

Edited by Travelcat2

Rachel, Jim had the Dover sole two nights in a row, once in Prime 7 and then in CR. He obviously agrees with you. Liptastic, dinner this evening in SM was wonderful and will be doing it again tomorrow night.

We remained onboard today; enjoy the pool deck when so many others are onshore. The breezes are refreshing and sea air soothing. Jim loves hanging out on the balcony, especially at dusk (which in these climes hardly is protracted) and later into the night.

Lots of pelicans in the harbor at Santo Tomas, a very busy commercial port and not all that attractive but it clearly is an economic success. Yesterday we went ashore at Roatan and hired a taxi to drive us around the island through villages of brightly painted cottages, mostly built on stilts ... flooding must be common, also suggested by the very green, lush flora. But, no mosquitos! Yippee.

So far we haven't spent time in the bars although I nip in from time to time for a drink. The music, in general, is not to our taste. Ditto the shows. Not surprising, though, since we suspected the entertainment would not be our cuppa when the elevator enveloped us in country music. Although we'd enjoy classical music and performances, entertainment is not essential.

In any case, from a sociological perspective, entertainment abounds in the form of fellow passengers and staff. The latter are super accommodating and kind, very high standards. Staff on the sixth deck, destination services and concierge particularly, are rather less accommodating, and, not welcoming either. It's an odd contrast with other staff. I wonder if it is a class issue with many 6th deck staff sandwiched between housekeeping, waiters, butlers and ship's officers. Training could be a fix.

Much grousing amongst guests about Prime 7. SM gets good press.

More later.

Edited by OctoberKat

Again, interesting comments from someone not only new to Regent but to cruising as well (unless I am mistaken, this is your first cruise).

We generally find the staff at Reception to be most accommodating but Destination Services less so. I cannot begin to imagine what Destination Services deals with on a daily basis. When a cruise line attempts to offer "free" or "included" excursions to all guests, IMO, it is an uphill battle. There are passengers that do not bother to cancel their excursions while others wait for an opening. While this should not be an excuse to give less than outstanding service, this complaint tends to be repetitive on the Regent boards.

It seems to us that P7 on the Navigator has more negative comments than P7 on the Mariner and Voyager. Agree that the sole is excellent but we tend to order it when it is on the CR menu rather than P7.

Interesting about "country music" as this is not something we have ever heard on Regent. Assume this is simply "elevator music". As you may know, the only luxury cruise line that is known for their entertainment is Crystal. This may be something you wish to try in the future. On the other hand, the "Cirque" shows on Regent are usually excellent - not to be missed.

Your posts are definitely interesting. As I recall, you are booked on other luxury lines in the future. The comparison should also be interesting.

I am so glad you are enjoying your cruise! We were probably in 901 on one of our cruises, but it was before they fixed a few little issues that kept hanging on. Other than Destination Services, we are/were convinced that the Navigator staff is the friendliest group out there.

Continue to enjoy!

Interesting comments about Destination Services. Sorry to hear that destination services continues to be a problem. Someone in management needs to pay closer attention. The only truly unpleasant experience I have had with Regent staff involved an uncooperative, foot-dragging, blame-the-customer destination services department.

Again, interesting comments from someone not only new to Regent but to cruising as well (unless I am mistaken, this is your first cruise).

I agree 100%! It is great to get a fresh perspective and take on this ship and cruise. I am enjoying the commentary immensely. Not that it should matter but maybe OctoberKat is new to commercial cruising. At any rate.....please keep your travelogue coming. You sound like easy gong, relaxed, go with the flow type people who are clearly enjoying your vacation and that is interesting indeed.

This is Jim's first cruise. Born and raised in Panama, our family cruised often in the 1950s and 1960s as a method of transportation, out of New York and later out of New Orleans, into Cristobal (and the reverse) aboard the now defunct Panama Line. My last cruise of that series was in 1969. It's been a while for me and liners are very much changed, for the better. So, yes, we're newbies ... and not since my first cruise was in 1950.

Jim is turning out to be a very good sailor and I always have been one such ... so it would be apposite to say we'll be doing more of this. We've another cruise booked on Silversea in November Barbados-Amazon-Barbados; in August 2016 we're on Azamara Quest bound out of Amsterdam for the Norwegian fjords and more (Hiya, rallydave!). This July we're doing a different sort of cruise, very slow motion, aboard the barge Belmond Amaryllis through the canals of Burgundy, yippee. It's a Grand Crus cruise (so to speak) so I'd better start prepping my palate.

Speaking of wine, the tipple aboard Navigator has been decent and more, I've been satisfied in the main. When I want a treat, we invest in a lush St. Emillion for only $65 (yay duty free). The champers in the suite as we came aboard was The Widow, a favorable impression that made.

Coffee has taken a turn for the worse, regret to say. It does seem to be an issue of note.

More later.

We love the ice cream - so much so, we either treat ourselves to ice cream in the afternoon or dessert after dinner - don't do both. Just wish that the ice cream was available later than it is for when we return from excursions later in the afternoon and do not want to do tea.

Glad to hear that you are enjoying your cruise and love reading about it.

Great tip, gnomie and I availed myself of it yesterday when, horrors there was no pistachio ice cream...but there is today! Thank you, thankee.

Packing: I didn't pack over much for me, other two right foot sandals of the same style, sigh. Jim, however, packed way too much. I insisted he take shorts, short-sleeved shirts and light-tshirts. He did, dutifully. But also a slew of long-sleeved shirts, long-sleeved tshirts and long pants. This is our seventh cruise day and he has yet to wear a short-sleeved shirt or a pair of shorts. I guess he knows what he's about. I expect his bones will defrost about the time we return to Miami some days hence. Next cruise I expect we'll need only three bags. Keeping in mind we travel with two CPAP machines.