Morning Coffee

springfire

We will be taking our first cruise on Celebrity this year, I was curious to know how the coffee is. We have found the quality of the coffee to be really bad on our last few cruises. On Princess the free coffee is terrible, but if you buy a coffee card you can find decent coffee. On Royal, coffee was still bad but not as bad as the free coffee on Princess. We ended up paying for our coffee at Starbucks in the morning. I was curious to know how my fellow coffee drinkers handle their coffee fix in the morning on Celebrity? Is the coffee any better?

No.

Your best bet is to make it with the satchets of coffee. The urn in the Oceanview Cafe was disgusting. Trouble was, people would see the satchets and stock up so they soon went. I used to put two of them in the cup. I am not a fan of strong coffee either. I can't remember the brand .

I might take some with us next time. Even though this time we have all sorts of 'free gifts' and are in Blu, I am an early riser and need my coffee to get started usually before there is any catering service. I became very good friends with the young men setting up at 5.00.

I will quote myself from an earlier post:

"How is the coffee? Here's an anecdote. Was sitting yesterday at a luncheon with five other people. Everyone had coffee. The waiter poured all from the same carafe. The woman on my right said, oh that's good coffee. The man on my left said, that coffee is way too strong, and poured some water into his cup. The woman across from me said, this coffee is really bitter. Her husband asked, why can't you make coffee this good. The woman next to him made a face and said that it tasted stale to her. I thought it was too weak.

So how's the coffee on board? Probably too strong, too weak, too bitter, too stale, too hot and too cold."

So how's the coffee on board? Probably too strong, too weak, too bitter, too stale, too hot and too cold."

I'll stick with tea.

Luckily I will be on Eclipse out of Southampton, so I will be supplied with a kettle in my cabin.:)

Just off silhouette

celebrity changed their coffee to an espresso based brand called Lavazza

I also hated princess coffee

DH and I loved the coffee (free)

We had it from room service and at Hideaway (where you pour your own)

And in Blu

All terrific

We only paid once at cafe al bacio for cappuchino since there was no strings entertainment

Treats nice and atmosphere but free coffee terrific if you like dark coffee

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have always had the Classic package so use Al Bacio. Great coffees. But I have tried the basic coffee a few times and found it to be inconsistent, sometimes OK other times awful. I think if I did not have the package again on my next cruise I would take some of the individual coffee filters (such as Rombout) to make my own perfect coffee. They are very lightweight, but would take up some room depending on how important space in the suitcase is.

Just off silhouette

celebrity changed their coffee to an espresso based brand called Lavazza

I also hated princess coffee

DH and I loved the coffee (free)

We had it from room service and at Hideaway (where you pour your own)

And in Blu

All terrific

We only paid once at cafe al bacio for cappuchino since there was no strings entertainment

Treats nice and atmosphere but free coffee terrific if you like dark coffee

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks for that update, I usually drink a dunkin donut type coffee in the morning. We are also in Blu, glad to hear that coffee is acceptable.

"How is the coffee? Here's an anecdote. Was sitting yesterday at a luncheon with five other people. Everyone had coffee. The waiter poured all from the same carafe. The woman on my right said, oh that's good coffee. The man on my left said, that coffee is way too strong, and poured some water into his cup. The woman across from me said, this coffee is really bitter. Her husband asked, why can't you make coffee this good. The woman next to him made a face and said that it tasted stale to her. I thought it was too weak.

Once you know what kind of coffee people normally drink in the morning, you will find opinions pretty consistent. Most people have a good opinion on weak or strong coffee. Just like a good beer or cocktail, if you know what people normally drink, you can better understand their opinions.

My coffee tastes lean to a Starbucks bold.

i find it hard to drink the coffee on most cruises - it just tastes awful.

Having a starbucks on Oasis was like having a piece of home with me.

I had a drink package on Reflection - I tried the Americano but it didn't thrill me. I ended up going with a double-espresso. It tasted like good coffee to me. I have two or three double-espresso throughout the day in place of my usual 2 cups of coffee

If keurigo or tassimo would make a travel version, I'd be overjoyed :D

Edited by Queen of Oakville

The espresso drinks at the Cafe El Baccio are pretty good. The big urns of coffee in the Oceanview Cafe are more like sludge. The coffe served in the Aqua Spa Cafe is pretty decent. Actually, a pot of coffee from room service is not bad either, and an easy way to get that first cup in you before getting organized.

We will be taking our first cruise on Celebrity this year, I was curious to know how the coffee is. We have found the quality of the coffee to be really bad on our last few cruises. On Princess the free coffee is terrible, but if you buy a coffee card you can find decent coffee. On Royal, coffee was still bad but not as bad as the free coffee on Princess. We ended up paying for our coffee at Starbucks in the morning. I was curious to know how my fellow coffee drinkers handle their coffee fix in the morning on Celebrity? Is the coffee any better?

Last time I was on Princess, the morning coffee was made from concentrate - and the taste was very sensitive to a number of factors (and variable throughout the cruise), whereas the coffee in the MDR was fresh brewed and quite good (our entire table agreed we liked the MDR coffee - a medium roast as I recall). The coffee on X summit this past Dec was fresh brewed in the AM in the buffet, though still subject to all the variables that go into making decent fresh brewed coffee. I think they had Lavazza vacuum sealed blocks of coffee being used for the breakfast buffet coffee - so it wasn't a nameless single use tear-open packet or pod that you'll find at many diners/hotels for whatever that's worth. [Added in edit:] I also think I remember it being a bit darker on the roast spectrum than your average american coffee (but not a super dark), I'd put it around a SBUX medium roast (or even 2 parts medium 1 part blonde, if hazy memory serves me correctly).

As others have said, when in doubt, Starbucks VIA packets are always a consistently acceptable choice. I also find that Nescafe Taster's Choice single serve packets are better than nothing in a pinch and much less expensive that the VIA packets, but TC is a milder style coffee than SBUX. I was fine with the coffee on Summit, but everyone's taste is different. If lack of coffee could ruin your cruise, pack enough to ensure you'll survive, otherwise I'd suggest take a few VIA packets just to be safe, but plan to make do with what's available.

Edited by jb008

The Lavazza coffee we had in Oceanview the first day or two of our recent cruise on Reflection was completely drinkable, but then they switched over to a dark roast I didn't care for at all. It was more tolerable a bit watered down. But the issue isn't the strength of the brew, but the burnt taste. Obviously, a matter of preference.

It was definitely better than the completely undrinkable coffee I've had on Royal in the past.

Lattes at Al Bacio are great!

Avalon Scenery Burgundy and Provence-June 2010

Celebrity Infinity Alaska-May 2012

Celebrity Century Pacific Wine-Sept 2012

Celebrity Millennium N Alaska-July 2013

Celebrity Century Pacific Coastal-May 2014

Celebrity Millennium Malaysia and Indonesia-Nov 2014

Celebrity Millennium Southbound Alaska May 2015

Celebrity Infinity Panama Canal September 2015

Celebrity Solstice Tahitian Treasures (HNL to SYD) September 2016

A Nescafé instant coffee drinker here, so I am really glad it is available on the cruise. I took my own for our first cruise.

I am a slight hogger of it. I pick up 2 packs every night before going to bed now, as I have had too many occasions of frantically searching for some to start my day. Not a pretty sight.

Cheers, h.

Sent from the nether world using magic

I'm not a coffee drinker, and I'm quite picky about my tea, but I cruised last summer with my mother, sister and daughter who are all coffee drinkers.

Sister spend 10 years living in Central America and said the coffee on board was just nasty. She did, however, drink the coffee from the Café AL Bacio.

DD has gotten spoiled by me, since I bring home coffee every cruise we take. Last Feb, we brought home nearly 30 lbs from Columbia and Costa Rican areas. She also proclaimed the regular coffee horrid, but would drink it when nothing else was convenient. She was in a wheelchair, so it was more difficult for her to get coffee at the Café.

On thought the coffee in the buffet was great, and even the decaf in the MDR was just fine. DD'S response "but Grammy, you drink Folgers and whatever is on sale".

My suggestion is to try what is available and if you don't care for it, there is always the Café.

The Celebrity coffee in the buffet is ok, but not super. I don't drink as much coffee as I once did, when I was young and have never been a fan of Starbucks overpriced coffee.

the free stuff is no better than on any other line.