April drydock for Riviera

texasskier

Also, just realized why using "O" or "R" for the two different kind of ships bothers me so much. The "Class" reference is used to differentiate between some mainstream cruise ships. Oceania is way above that and, IMO, should use a more sophisticated reference (P.S. - realize that it will not change -- just have to mention it once in a while:-)

This is a function of there being more than one vessel of each type, and has nothing to do with a level of sophistication.

When discussing like items, it is natural to bundle them.

I called O just now and was told there is no schedule for dry dock of Riviera in April and that there are actually two itineraries planned.

I would be interested to know where the OP got this info.

Thanks.

Lynne

Per a very reliable source via supervisor At O. Riviera going into dry dock April 15-25 for "general maintenance and refreshing".

Paul, how wonderful that you and Marsha will have your family with you on a cruise. And how great some of them get their first cruise on the Oceania Marina! Hope you are both well. Miles and I are escaping this ugly, cold Midwest weather the end of this week heading to California to see family and then on to Tahiti to board the Mariner. The sun and warmth will be welcome!

Joanna (& YoHoHo),

Thank you for understanding our plan.

We expect this to be a memorable cruise with our family and it will be capped off with a special evening in the Privee (unless they remove it before our August cruise) :D

Joanna - I wish you and Miles a great trip to the warm climate of FP. After our TA cruise to Barcelona I plan to have lunch at the Cuidad Condal (and will think of you) :)

Edited by Paulchili

is it possible that the "gap" from April 15-25 is a privately "chartered" cruise on the Riviera by a Company or something? And is therefore not listed as "for booking?" Is that the only reason people think it's going into drydock... the lack of a bookable cruise on those dates?

If not.. WHERE did you all get the information that she is going into drydock? And where would that be? Barcelona?

The Riviera will be going into dry dock April 15-25 per reliables source at O. Most likely it will go from Barcelona to the port of Cadiz, the largest dry dock facility in the world (or so it is said). It will then resume sailing from Barcelona. Per Oceania it is docking for "general maintenance and refreshing".

...Also, just realized why using "O" or "R" for the two different kind of ships bothers me so much. The "Class" reference is used to differentiate between some mainstream cruise ships. Oceania is way above that and, IMO, should use a more sophisticated reference (P.S. - realize that it will not change -- just have to mention it once in a while:-)

Jackie, obviously Oceania has "class" while cruise lines without similar ships do not.:sly:

I know how you dislike any reference to "class" of any sort...;)

Also, just realized why using "O" or "R" for the two different kind of ships bothers me so much. The "Class" reference is used to differentiate between some mainstream cruise ships. Oceania is way above that and, IMO, should use a more sophisticated reference (P.S. - realize that it will not change -- just have to mention it once in a while:-)

The idea of class is a Naval term, having nothing to do with socio-economic class distinctions. Whenever a new design for a ship is built, every ship built to those same specifications is called the "x" class, -- "x" being the name of the first ship of its kind. This is true whether we're talking about the US Navy or the Navy of some other country.

For example, there are ...

... ten Nimitz class aircraft carriers.

... eight Wasp class Amphibious assault carriers.

... forty-two Los Angeles class attack submarines.

... eight Ohio class ballistic missile submarine

So Oceania, has...

... four Regatta class cruise ships

... and two O class ships. (This breaks with tradition as they are referred to as "O" class ships, although using Naval nomenclature, they should all be referred to as Marina class.)

This idea of "class" without socio-economic implications is sort of like your graduating class from college. It doesn't matter whether you were a math or an English major or a BA or BS. If you graduated the same year, you're in the same class.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

The idea of class is a Naval term, having nothing to do with socio-economic class distinctions. Whenever a new design for a ship is built, every ship built to those same specifications is called the "x" class, -- "x" being the name of the first ship of its kind. This is true whether we're talking about the US Navy or the Navy of some other country.

For example, there are ...

... ten Nimitz class aircraft carriers.

... eight Wasp class Amphibious assault carriers.

... forty-two Los Angeles class attack submarines.

... eight Ohio class ballistic missile submarine

So Oceania, has...

... four Regatta class cruise ships

... and two O class ships. (This breaks with tradition as they are referred to as "O" class ships, although using Naval nomenclature, they should all be referred to as Marina class.)

This idea of "class" without socio-economic implications is sort of like your graduating class from college. It doesn't matter whether you were a math or an English major or a BA or BS. If you graduated the same year, you're in the same class.

Well said.

Just to add - this "class" nomenclature is used by many (if not all) other cruise lines - not just the Navy

Celebrity has Solstice class, Millenium class and Century class ships

Princess has Royal class, Grand class, Coral class, Sun class, etc

....and so on

Edited by Paulchili

After our TA cruise to Barcelona I plan to have lunch at the Cuidad Condal (and will think of you) :)

You didn't ask for information about eating at Ciudad Condal, but I thought I'd share one hit and one miss from our lunch there.

Try anything fried that appeals to you; this kitchen really knows its way around a fryer. We chose fried squid which we really enjoyed with a squeeze of lemon. (There were two versions on the menu: Roman style and Andaluz style. My memory tells me that Roman style is tiny, tiny whole baby squids and Andaluz style consists of slices from a somewhat larger squid.)

The only clunker in our meal was grilled razor clams. The the clams tasted delicious -- perfectly grilled and nicely seasoned -- but the dish was ultimately unacceptable because the clams were filled with grit.

I guess Oceania is happy to be part of a world-wide, centuries-old tradition of naming and categorizing seagoing vessels, even though use of "O" class to identify Marina and Riviera is a break with tradition.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

even though use of "O" class to identify Marina and Riviera is a break with tradition.

You are right, it should be the M class for Marina, the first ship in that Class.

But FDR isn't much of a maritime traditionalist, I begged him to name a Commodore and he would not even consider it.

You are right, it should be the M class for Marina, the first ship in that Class.

But FDR isn't much of a maritime traditionalist, I begged him to name a Commodore and he would not even consider it.

Trying to find the date when classes of ships began to be called by the first one built, I stumbled upon an interesting factoid. I'd long thought of the Titanic as being a unique ship, but in fact, she was the second ship of White Star's Olympic-class ocean liners. Titanic's dimensions were identical to Olympic even if both the tonnage and interior configuration were different.

What I don't get is that any hint of class distinction on Oceania or Regent disgusts them,

but the Haven on Norwegian "sounds like a very good idea".

Color me confused......

+1 This all does seem like a strange discussion for a bunch of O cruisers. :D

You didn't ask for information about eating at Ciudad Condal, but I thought I'd share one hit and one miss from our lunch there.

Try anything fried that appeals to you; this kitchen really knows its way around a fryer. We chose fried squid which we really enjoyed with a squeeze of lemon. (There were two versions on the menu: Roman style and Andaluz style. My memory tells me that Roman style is tiny, tiny whole baby squids and Andaluz style consists of slices from a somewhat larger squid.)

The only clunker in our meal was grilled razor clams. The the clams tasted delicious -- perfectly grilled and nicely seasoned -- but the dish was ultimately unacceptable because the clams were filled with grit.

Thank you for the tip - will keep it in mind.

Jackie, obviously Oceania has "class" while cruise lines without similar ships do not.:sly:

I know how you dislike any reference to "class" of any sort...;)

Does wine tasting "class" count? :D

Actually, I didn't phrase my statement correctly so the response was all over the place. Not being nautical, I find it easier to call the ship by it's name. Whenever this topic comes up I think that perhaps a little "lesson" sticky should be on the Oceania board indicating that "O" does not mean Oceania - it is a type of ship. However, sometimes people use "O" in their post so we don't know if they are referring to the cruise line or the Marina or Riviera. The "R" class ships (does not refer to their sister cruise line, Regent which uses the same initial), it is yet another type of ship. This one is particularly interesting because it is named after a cruise line that is no longer in business. Plus, not only does Oceania have "R" ships, so does Princess and Azamara.

I know -- frustrating but done tongue in cheek.

Edited by Travelcat2

The "R" class ships (does not refer to their sister cruise line, Regent which uses the same initial), it is yet another type of ship. This one is particularly interesting because it is named after a cruise line that is no longer in business. Plus, not only does Oceania have "R" ships, so does Princess and Azamara.

The name of the first Renaissance ship was R One. When Oceania -- or Princess or Azamara or P & O -- refer to their R class ships, they are referring to the R One ship, not the Renaissance cruise line. As you see below, R One is very much in business (putting aside her current dry dock status for the purpose of this thread.)

R One is now Insignia

R Two is now Regatta

R Three is now Pacific Princess

R Four is now Sirena

R Five is now Nautica.

R Six is now Azamara Journey

R Seven is now Azamara Quest

R Eight is now P & O's Adonia.

Each of those ships could have its name and ownership changed fifteen times and they'd still be R class ships because of the name R One. Not sure why you consider this frustrating. You're certainly free to refer to ships by their actual name if you prefer.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

The name of the first Renaissance ship was R One. When Oceania -- or Princess or Azamara or P & O -- refer to their R class ships, they are referring to the R One ship, not the Renaissance cruise line. As you see below, R One is very much in business (putting aside her current dry dock status for the purpose of this thread.)

R One is now Insignia

R Two is now Regatta

R Three is now Pacific Princess

R Four is now Sirena

R Five is now Nautica.

R Six is now Azamara Journey

R Seven is now Azamara Quest

R Eight is now P & O's Adonia.

Each of those ships could have its name and ownership changed fifteen times and they'd still be R class ships because of the name R One. Not sure why you consider this frustrating. You're certainly free to refer to ships by their actual name if you prefer.

Obviously I am the only one that finds that list confusing. Do all ships have these secret names?

Quote travelcat: "Obviously I am the only one that finds that list confusing. Do all ships have these secret names?"

Your confusion is because you are trying to use the "Class" of the ships as the "Name" of a ship. There are NO secret names!!!

You are already familiar with the "Names" of the ships and they have no secret names. The O and R are used to define a "Class" of ships where more than one of the same basic ship design.

Regent doesn't have ship "Classes" as all are different. When a ship type is built and then more ships with the same basic design are built, the a "Class" of ship then is defined and comes into existence.

As others stated, Celebrity has Solstice class, Millenium class and Century class ships; Princess has Royal class, Grand class, Coral class, Sun class, Oceania has O class and R class, etc....and so on . Each Class consists of more than one ship with the same basic design.

Again, NOT names of ships but, a Class of ship where there is more than one that are almost identical.

Obviously I am the only one that finds that list confusing. Do all ships have these secret names?

You're joshing us, right?

rn_r1.jpg If not, here is the deal:

In an effort to seem chic and distinctive, Renaissance Cruises did not give their ships traditional names, but rather numbered them from one to eight, and because the Renaissance Logo was painted in front of that number on the finished ship (see photo of R ONE, above), passengers and crew alike began to refer to those Ships as the R One, the R Two, the R Three, and so on...

What Pet Nit Noy was trying to get across was that this is yet another reason for referring to those eight vessels as "the R Ships".

Edited by StanandJim

Renaissance Cruises went bankrupt in 2001. They did what any other bankrupt business would do: they sold their assets (eight R class ships and some smaller yachts) to pay back a part of their debts. Not surprisingly, each of the new owners gave the ship a new name. That's what the list represents, the original name under Renaissance ownership and the second name given by the new owners.

There are no secret names, but every ship carries its given name and its class name. The given name may change but the class name never changes since it refers to the first ship built that in that specific way. Let me try to explain using a cruising example.

Celebrity Cruises built its first ship in 1995 and named it Century. Two more ships followed, Galaxy and Mercury. Each was built to the same dimensions, even if the interiors and number of veranda cabins were some what different. That means the Galaxy and Mercury are Century-class ships.

The last two ships are no longer part of the Celebrity fleet. I'm judging that both are owned by a German cruise line since the Galaxy is now named Mein Schiff 1 and Mercury is now named Mein Schiff 2.

Today, no one would call those ships by their old Celebrity names, but everyone would still say they are a Century-class ship. Nothing about their current name or ownership can change the fact that they were built to match the Century.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy