April drydock for Riviera

texasskier

I would imagine general sprucing up - new carpets, fresh paint etc. She goes into drydock when we get off the TA on 15 April in Barcelona... I have also read (but have no way of verifying this) that Privée will be taken out and presumably the contiguous restaurants will take over its space...

Edited by Hambagahle

I never seen any one using Privee

Josie

Privée isn't being used much, which is unfortunate.

A private party room on these ships should be a rousing success, because these days there is nothing comparable at sea.

So, I guess we'll go back to the days where the Captains in Polo and Toscana have to handle the private party requests again....

I have also read (but have no way of verifying this) that Privée will be taken out and presumably the contiguous restaurants will take over its space...

Oh no! We are on the Marina in August on a "family" cruise and have booked a night in the Privee. I hope it is still there in August.

Quote:

I never seen any one using Privee

Josie

Privée isn't being used much, which is unfortunate.

A private party room on these ships should be a rousing success, because these days there is nothing comparable at sea.

So, I guess we'll go back to the days where the Captains in Polo and Toscana have to handle the private party requests again....

Gee wiz, thought the Captain would mostly be on the bridge in charge of the ship and NOT in the Specialities handling private party requests?????:D:D

Does anyone know what changes or improvements are scheduled for the drydock this April for Riviera?

I called O just now and was told there is no schedule for dry dock of Riviera in April and that there are actually two itineraries planned.

I would be interested to know where the OP got this info.

Thanks.

Lynne

I called O just now and was told there is no schedule for dry dock of Riviera in April and that there are actually two itineraries planned.

Thanks.

Lynne

This has been posted for months on the boards. Riviera is going into dry dock after the April 15th arrival in Bcn. And yet again erroneous info from the main office.

Thanks.

Lynne

I just posted a response and it disappeared:confused:

The riviera is definitely going into dry dock after the April 15 arrival in BCN. Yet again the main office has given erroneous info.

Thanks.

Lynne

I have no inside information but there is a gap of 10 days from April 15 to the 25th so maybe that is where the idea came from for a drydock

Lyn

I have no inside information but there is a gap of 10 days from April 15 to the 25th so maybe that is where the idea came from for a drydock

Lyn

I too, looked to check dates and see the same April 15 to 25th.

I also responded to this same topic a few weeks back to see what's up and still wonder what is to be changed?

My comment was that Marina is the one who is "older" and having just been on a Med cruise last October, did see a few signs of age.

We are to be on Riviera Feb. 13 - 23 2015 and will see if I can find out more while there.

It's just a puzzle to me.

Lynne

I too, looked to check dates and see the same April 15 to 25th.

I also responded to this same topic a few weeks back to see what's up and still wonder what is to be changed?

My comment was that Marina is the one who is "older" and having just been on a Med cruise last October, did see a few signs of age.

We are to be on Riviera Feb. 13 - 23 2015 and will see if I can find out more while there.

It's just a puzzle to me.

Lynne

Just my guess I have no insider info

It may have to do with when they can get the facilities to do the upgrades & the position of the ship

I am sure they will not just sail the ship to Europe off season to do the upgrade but will do it after a TA when it is close to the ship yards

time is money ;)

usually the up grades are cleaning or replacing soft goods as needed, painting

I believe they took the carpet out of Deck 6 in the Grand Bar hallway since I was on her in 2011 replacing it with tile ..(easier to keep clean)

Time will tell

Lyn

Just my guess I have no insider info

It may have to do with when they can get the facilities to do the upgrades & the position of the ship

I am sure they will not just sail the ship to Europe off season to do the upgrade but will do it after a TA when it is close to the ship yards

time is money ;)

usually the up grades are cleaning or replacing soft goods as needed, painting

I believe they took the carpet out of Deck 6 in the Grand Bar hallway since I was on her in 2011 replacing it with tile ..(easier to keep clean)

Time will tell

Lyn

Thanks, Lyn

I guess I'm not as aware of details as others are. We were on Marina in Oct '11, Nov '13 and May '14, and it still looked spanking new to me. I'll look more closely in April but she may have been "refreshed" by then.

Now when we were on the QE2 I definitely noticed signs of age! But by that time she must have been nearly 40 years old. (Built in 1968 and we were last aboard her in December 2004.)

Mura

We have dined in Privée and definitely did not see it as a private "party" room. Firstly, it is hardly private -- with entrances from both Polo and Toscana. It is very elegant and I assume that the food served there when they had a private chef was amazing. IMO, it is a little fancy for a "family" dinner (depending upon your family of course).

IMO, it is a little fancy for a "family" dinner.

Really? But not too fancy for dining with "strangers"? :confused: We are talking all adults here - no toddlers in the family :D

IMO, it's a perfect way to finish what we hope to be a great cruise with our family (especially as it will be the first cruise for most of them). It essentially gives us an extra dinner in the specialty restaurant for a larger group using our OBC in the privacy and elegant setting of the Privee,

What could be nicer?

is it possible that the "gap" from April 15-25 is a privately "chartered" cruise on the Riviera by a Company or something? And is therefore not listed as "for booking?" Is that the only reason people think it's going into drydock... the lack of a bookable cruise on those dates?

If not.. WHERE did you all get the information that she is going into drydock? And where would that be? Barcelona?

is it possible that the "gap" from April 15-25 is a privately "chartered" cruise on the Riviera by a Company or something? And is therefore not listed as "for booking?" Is that the only reason people think it's going into drydock... the lack of a bookable cruise on those dates?

If not.. WHERE did you all get the information that she is going into drydock? And where would that be? Barcelona?

In the past the ships have gone into drydock every 3 yrs on average

I think in Italy or France

someone will correct me if wrong

We have dined in Privée and definitely did not see it as a private "party" room. Firstly, it is hardly private -- with entrances from both Polo and Toscana. It is very elegant and I assume that the food served there when they had a private chef was amazing. IMO, it is a little fancy for a "family" dinner (depending upon your family of course).

LOL, I suppose it depends on your definition of a Party-

I was intending to convey that Privée could be rented for occasions similar to a private dining room in a restaurant, in order to entertain parties of up to ten guests.

The private chef concept didn't fly and they were eliminated in favor of importing the food for Privée from either Polo or Toscana, so the "too fancy" food is no longer an issue.

When the food policy was changed , the nightly rental fee was reduced to $250, for up to ten guests, (wines & liquors additional) which is astoundingly inexpensive for what they are offering.

b_232215.jpg

As far as privacy is concerned, there are doors which close between Privée, Polo and Toscana, which should supply a sufficient degree of seclusion for a Dining Room.

LOL, Then again, I suppose it does depend on your definition of a Party- ;)

Oh, and never forget those Manhattan Penthouse views

b_142801.jpg Just incredible

Really? But not too fancy for dining with "strangers"? :confused: We are talking all adults here - no toddlers in the family :D

IMO, it's a perfect way to finish what we hope to be a great cruise with our family (especially as it will be the first cruise for most of them). It essentially gives us an extra dinner in the specialty restaurant for a larger group using our OBC in the privacy and elegant setting of the Privee,

What could be nicer?

I think this is a great plan; a terrific way to end cruise with a family get together. While the room décor is not to my taste that your family can

have a wonderful meal with such attentive service in a private venue is a rare opportunity. As you point out they have an extra dinner for a specialty

restaurant. Compared with surcharges on other lines just for a seating never mind a private room I think it is a good value.

Oh no! We are on the Marina in August on a "family" cruise and have booked a night in the Privee. I hope it is still there in August.

Paul, how wonderful that you and Marsha will have your family with you on a cruise. And how great some of them get their first cruise on the Oceania Marina! Hope you are both well. Miles and I are escaping this ugly, cold Midwest weather the end of this week heading to California to see family and then on to Tahiti to board the Mariner. The sun and warmth will be welcome!

I love Privee'. It is totally private, in that few in Polo or Toscana even know it's there. Other than seeing 8 or 10 folks proceed through Toscana and disappear into an offset doorway (through which no one can see even if it's open), there is no indication it's there. Unless they've studied the deck plans, I'd bet at least 60% of the guests don't even know where it is.

Yes, the decor is a bit over the top, but enjoying an evening there is also a bit over the top, and the decor makes it stand out in your mind. In any case, once you're in and seated in those massive throne chairs (the originals were so heavy it took two crew members to properly seat you ;)), you hardly notice the decor -- especially if you're sailing eastward as the sun is setting through those windows. I remember once dining in there with the Captain, seeing a spectacular sunset, and several folks jokingly asking him if he altered course on purpose.

That massive table is actually the perfect shape for everyone to enjoy the conversation, especially as it's the quietest restaurant on the ship. The service is over the top, special requests for celebrations can be accommodated, and nowhere else, even in the Owners Suite, can one get a combination from Polo and Toscana.

It's true it's under-used, and that's been a sore point with the person responsible for the concept it in the first place. But, I really hope they don't remove it -- it does provide some revenue, and I can't imagine any other way they'd use that space to any better effect. It's part of the uniqueness of the "O" class.

Don, agree that almost everything is very special in Privee' with the exception of the food. IMO, dining off of the Toscana or Polo menu isn't that special. If a menu similar to the menus used in Le Reserve (with or without wine pairing) would be much more special and certainly worth a bit more money.

Also, just realized why using "O" or "R" for the two different kind of ships bothers me so much. The "Class" reference is used to differentiate between some mainstream cruise ships. Oceania is way above that and, IMO, should use a more sophisticated reference (P.S. - realize that it will not change -- just have to mention it once in a while:-)