Agreement between Royal and Carnival about ship names?

BillOh

Silly question that came to me while I was watching the port Webcams and the superbowl pre-game show. I've watched Carnival liberty leave out of Canaveral along side Royal's Freedom and seen Carnival Freedom leaving from Port Everglades with Royal Liberty.

I assume the two parties have never home ported their Liberty and Freedom in the same day/port as the other. Probably on purpose, I could see it causing traffic issues with people trying to get to the right ship. Has anyone ever seen these ships in the same port at the same time at the destination ports?

I've talked to a bunch of people at hotels and remote ports that don't even know the same of the ship they are going on/or are on.

I have seen people try to get on the wrong ship when two ships were at Coco Cay.

Edited by BillOh

I have only noticed that in communications on the port webcam radio broadcast frequencies that RCI actually use the full names of their ship when communicating with the port. 'Freedom of the Seas requesting pilot confirmation' ,for instance.

Each ship is then also given signal numbers. Freedom of the Seas is C6UZ7, for instance.

Edited by MADflyer

Silly question that came to me while I was watching the port Webcams and the superbowl pre-game show. I've watched Carnival liberty leave out of Canaveral along side Royal's Freedom and seen Carnival Freedom leaving from Port Everglades with Royal Liberty.

I assume the two parties have never home ported their Liberty and Freedom in the same day/port as the other. Probably on purpose, I could see it causing traffic issues with people trying to get to the right ship. Has anyone ever seen these ships in the same port at the same time at the destination ports?

I've talked to a bunch of people at hotels and remote ports that don't even know the same of the ship they are going on/or are on.

I have seen people try to get on the wrong ship when two ships were at Coco Cay.

Yes. In 2011 we did a B2B on the Liberty Of The Seas out of Miami. The Carnival Liberty was in port with us. I always tell who ever is taking us to the port the name of the Cruise Line and the entire name of the ship.

Edited by davekathy

Yes. In 2011 we did a B2B on the Liberty Of The Seas out of Miami. The Carnival Liberty was in port with us. I always tell who ever is taking us to the port the name of the Cruise Line and the entire name of the ship.

I didn't realize Liberty did sailings from Miami, though that is where I first saw her around 2010 I think it was when she was parked behind Majesty in Miami. It was her time time in Miami and she was doing a 2 day press cruise.

Edited by BillOh
Corrected date

There was a thread a few years here on CC about couples and cruises. The gist was that only one person did the planning and the other person just followed along, frequently not even knowing the name of the ship.

That is more common than I would have thought. I remember by first ever Royal cruise was on Voyager and our first port was Nassau. We took a beach excursion that loaded us on a boat along with cruisers from other ships and I was surprised how many people didn't know the name of the ship that brought them. I do all the planning, but my wife at least knows she is on Royal Caribbean. I did find this photo from that day.

profile.jpg

That's Voyager in the foreground, Carnival Glory behind her and another Royal ship possibly a Sovereign class? Carnival also had a 2nd ship in port that day.

Kind of off topic but I find this very common even with my friends that have been cruising. :o I ask "what ship did you go on?" and get a reply like "Royal Caribbean" :rolleyes::D

I guess some just aren't into it as much as we are.

Kind of off topic but I find this very common even with my friends that have been cruising. :o I ask "what ship did you go on?" and get a reply like "Royal Caribbean" :rolleyes::D

I can appreciate that sentiment too. I just think its a little worse while the cruise is still going on. On a off topic, to your off topic ;) I am amazed all the people who have been on one cruise and can tell you all about the cruise line(s).

We probably have all heard, Carnival, is the drunken Party Ship, Celebrity (and I've heard Royal) is for old people. I had one guy I worked with took a one way 14 night canal crossing in Feb and now says Royal is full of old people.

I have a friend who didn't know what ship they were on or what cruise line. I hesitated to ask if she knew where they went.:D

This is common with many lines and vessels. Carnival Dream and Disney Dream both served Port Canaveral for a few years together. I think that is why the lines have all added their name as pre-fix. Exception being RCI using of the Seas.

NCL also had a "Dream" but I think it got sold.

I didn't realize Liberty did sailings from Miami, though that is where I first saw her around 2010 I think it was when she was parked behind Majesty in Miami. It was her time time in Miami and she was doing a 2 day press cruise.

Yep, we did do a B2B Cruise on the Liberty Of The Seas out of Miami March of 2011. First leg was a 8 Night Eastern Caribbean and the second leg was a 6 Night Western Caribbean. I wish RCI would consider putting her back in Miami or even Port Everglades.

Edited by davekathy

This is common with many lines and vessels. Carnival Dream and Disney Dream both served Port Canaveral for a few years together. I think that is why the lines have all added their name as pre-fix. Exception being RCI using of the Seas.

I didn't think of the Dream At least I have the sense when taking a shuttle or cab to my embarkation point I wouldn't get out of the car/van if I wasn't at the right ship. I did have one case in Cozumel when were were there on Jewel and we took a Royal sponsored excursion, the driver dropped us off at the wrong pier, I didn't notice till I rounded the corner and saw 2 Carnival ships. Fortunately it is only about a 1/2 mile walk to Royal's pier.

I have gotten that answer from a few people also! When I tell them that Royal Caribbean is the name of the cruise line and that they have ships with different names, they then say "OH...I thought it was just Royal Carribean, I didn't know there was another name"! :rolleyes:

I was on a group cruise two years ago. I'm not retired but this was a large group of retired folks from my agency. The RCI Liberty of the Seas. One couple in the group (late 70s and not avid cruisers), landed in Fort Lauderdale (thankfully very early morning) and had a car service take them to Port Canaveral before they realized the ship was in Port Everglades. If I recall the ship did wait for them because they were only going to delay us about 60 minutes. They had to make up the muster as they did miss that.

Kind of off topic but I find this very common even with my friends that have been cruising. :o I ask "what ship did you go on?" and get a reply like "Royal Caribbean" :rolleyes::.

Some of us have been cruising so long (since the mid 70s) and have been on so many cruises, we simply do not remember the ships' names or even the total number of cruises we have taken.

Perhaps, someday, you will also reach this point.

Holland America ships don't do this. But they are recognizable by the names all ending in "-dam".

Some of us have been cruising so long (since the mid 70s) and have been on so many cruises, we simply do not remember the ships' names or even the total number of cruises we have taken.

Perhaps, someday, you will also reach this point.

How adorably arrogant of you ! Cheers, dahling .. really ...

Edited by F27TW

Yes. Names like Liberty, Freedom, etc. can certainly sound similar.

What I always find amusing is when people really don't know the name of their ship.

We have spoken with people on beaches, tours, shuttles and stated that we were on "---OF THE SEAS" or "Norwegian---"

What ship are you on?

When the reply is something like "The Carnival Ship" or "The Royal Ship" we get quite a laugh as many times there have been two ships in port from the lines in question. We always hope that the people we have spoken with have made it safely back to the ship they belong on!