Amazing Sailaway Yesterday in San Pedro

Working 2 Cruise

Because of multiple doctor appointments for my husband (some of you know he's been terribly ill), and the location of the Harbor City Kaiser Permanente, we chose to stay at the DoubleTree hotel in San Pedro.

As a very unusual occurrence, the Crown was docked at Berth 46, which is quite a ways from the usual pier, and located right across from the DoubleTree! Score!

I was able to witness the "stop and go" sailaway for the Crown. It seemed that it was difficult for the Crown to exit Berth 46 and it took over 30 minutes for her to actually leave. We did hear, clear as day, the ship's horn from our room, which was amazing to us.

In addition, I was treated to the Grand Princess sailing (gliding) through the canal leading to the ocean... it was a spectacular sight!

Would I book this hotel again? Probably not... but we were lucky to be here yesterday!

I have family that has chosen to stay there in March (based on my recommendation, merely because of distance :confused:).

May I ask you why you would not book this hotel again? It looks very nice from the website and gets a pretty decent rating here and on TripAdvisor. I hope your appointments went as well as can be expected.

Funny that the Crown had so much trouble leaving the port! I was debarking yesterday from it. I've also been in that same Pier 46 on the Solstice previously and that captain had no trouble getting out to sea. But, come to think of it, they seemed to tie up to the port REALLY slowly when we arrived yesterday. The ship sat about 5'-10' feet away from the dock at an angle for quite awhile. Don't know why.

Hi all, we sailed last September on the Island out of San Francisco's new cruise terminal for the Panama Canal. At sail-away, the bow thrusters became mud blowers as we were stuck in it. It took two tug boats pulling us away from the dock to float out and sail off.

My guess, is the Crown experienced a shallow area and maybe as tide moved in it was easier to float against the dock. Possibility?

I have family that has chosen to stay there in March (based on my recommendation, merely because of distance :confused:).

May I ask you why you would not book this hotel again? It looks very nice from the website and gets a pretty decent rating here and on TripAdvisor. I hope your appointments went as well as can be expected.

I would be interested as well. We have stayed there four times. We love it. It is away from the main town and a lovely setting. I have always be able to get good rates there as well.

I can't speak for the OP, but we've stayed at the Doubletree San Pedro a few times prior to a some past cruises...most recently last February. When we were there last February, it was really run down compared to previous years. Peeling and mismatched wallpaper...extremely (and I mean extremely) dirty carpet and mismatched as well...room was also bad shape too. We were very disappointed last year. It has been a year, so maybe they've remodeled, but it wasn't nice last year. And, it was not cheap at all (never is).

We are going to try the Crowne Plaza next week for the first time as we don't want to go back to the Doubletree again until we know they remodel it. I've heard good things about the Crowne Plaza, so hopefully it will be ok. We went through priceline and "bid" on a 3 or 4 star hotel (hoping to get the Crowne Plaza) and we got it for a pretty reasonable cost (under $100 per night).

I really like the marina, landscaping, lobby and the "grounds" at the Doubletree, but it was just so run down last year that it was almost a little depressing! (My wallet was depressed at least for spending so much money on the room! ;))

why not?

First, there was no cell service... I had to reschedule a doctor's appointment and had to use the phone... $5.73 for a 2 minute local call... no emails... Sporadic food service.

I will try the Crown Plaza next time. It is a decent hotel, and my expectations may have been a little too high.

Yes, I knew there was a Norwegian ship there as well but I didn't see it.

If you do stay there, there's a happy hour, Monday through Friday, 5:00 to 6:30 p.m. $4 well drinks, wine and beer and $4 for three appetizers... the chicken wings were great!

Edited by Working 2 Cruise

Because of multiple doctor appointments for my husband (some of you know he's been terribly ill), and the location of the Harbor City Kaiser Permanente, we chose to stay at the DoubleTree hotel in San Pedro.

As a very unusual occurrence, the Crown was docked at Berth 46, which is quite a ways from the usual pier, and located right across from the DoubleTree! Score!

I was able to witness the "stop and go" sailaway for the Crown. It seemed that it was difficult for the Crown to exit Berth 46 and it took over 30 minutes for her to actually leave. We did hear, clear as day, the ship's horn from our room, which was amazing to us.

In addition, I was treated to the Grand Princess sailing (gliding) through the canal leading to the ocean... it was a spectacular sight!

Would I book this hotel again? Probably not... but we were lucky to be here yesterday!

Glad you enjoyed the sailaway. We stayed at the DT and enjoyed it a lot. You should give it another try.....:):):)

Bob

I can't speak for the OP, but we've stayed at the Doubletree San Pedro a few times prior to a some past cruises...most recently last February. When we were there last February, it was really run down compared to previous years. Peeling and mismatched wallpaper...extremely (and I mean extremely) dirty carpet and mismatched as well...room was also bad shape too. We were very disappointed last year. It has been a year, so maybe they've remodeled, but it wasn't nice last year. And, it was not cheap at all (never is).

We are going to try the Crowne Plaza next week for the first time as we don't want to go back to the Doubletree again until we know they remodel it. I've heard good things about the Crowne Plaza, so hopefully it will be ok. We went through priceline and "bid" on a 3 or 4 star hotel (hoping to get the Crowne Plaza) and we got it for a pretty reasonable cost (under $100 per night).

I really like the marina, landscaping, lobby and the "grounds" at the Doubletree, but it was just so run down last year that it was almost a little depressing! (My wallet was depressed at least for spending so much money on the room! ;))

Thanks for the post. The last time we stayed there was in Oct 2013, so a bit ahead of you. The only problem we had was with the hot tub. They did not seem to work at any hotels in San Pedro when we checked.

Also, we have never paid over $100 dollars to stay there.

I agree, we have stayed there twice, 2012 and 2014. Had 3 other couples with us in 2014 who were not happy. With some really bad room smells added in. Its getting worse. I felt bad because I recommended the hotel in the first place. :(

It is a great location.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I felt bad because I recommended the hotel in the first place. :(

It is a great location.

Exactly my fear. :o Too bad, as you say is a great location. I was there for dinner probably 15 years ago or so (I think it had recently opened) and it seemed very nice and the area was pleasant.

I just called the Doubletree. They said that they are in the process of updating the rooms, will start the lobby in march, then the restaurant area. Hopefully, it will be a nicer property by the time that we get there in October!

It still gets pretty good reviews on Trip Advisor.

michele

I just called the Doubletree. They said that they are in the process of updating the rooms, will start the lobby in march, then the restaurant area. Hopefully, it will be a nicer property by the time that we get there in October!

michele

Thats what they told us 3 years ago. :(

Thats what they told us 3 years ago. :(

Oh well...it is what it is. The Doubletree and Crowne Plaza both get 3 1/2 stars on Trip Advisor so I'm sure either would be fine for 1 night pre-cruise. I stayed at the Doubletree a couple of years ago and it was fine...it'll still be fine for us!

michele

The Crowne has been claiming they were going to update in 2014. Now they claim they are renovating this year. Me thinks something is rotten in the state of Denmark! I am staying at the Crowne, especially after reading the more recents reviews of both hotels. Plus, I think both hotels give rooms with problems to those who book through Priceline. I also read that a guest in Doubletree was bitten by critters in the bed and DT denied it. So, I am paying full price and going to the Crowne. Oh, yes; I know it doesn't mean there could be similar problems in the Crowne but there it is.

Edited by lolane1

The Crowne has been claiming they were going to update in 2014. Now they claim they are renovating this year. Me thinks something is rotten in the state of Denmark! I am staying at the Crowne, especially after reading the more recents reviews of both hotels. Plus, I think both hotels give rooms with problems to those who book through Priceline. I also read that a guest in Doubletree was bitten by critters in the bed and DT denied it. So, I am paying full price and going to the Crowne. Oh, yes; I know it doesn't mean there could be similar problems in the Crowne but there it is.

A mans got to do what a man has to do, or woman. We live by our choices.