Orlando airport to port canaveral- best options

cruzinlisa

We are looking at a Disney cruise in May. We would be flying into MCO on Friday, the day before our cruise and stay somewhere overnight. Then cruise out on Sunday. It will be me, DH and our 4 year old DD.

I am trying to figure out if we are better to rent a car or take a shuttle and if we are better to stay in Orlando near the airport or nearer to the port. I believe I have heard its kind of far.

Here are the considerations:

1. DD is in a car seat. She does not weigh enough for a booster seat. I would rather NOT travel with our car seat. But we can if we need to.

2. A grocery store, Walgreens, CVS trip would be appreciated (so we can pick up beer/wine). Usually we find a hotel near one. But driving or taking a cab is not out of the ordinary.

So, considering those factors, what is the best option.

1. Renting a car. If we do that, are there rental agencies with a car seat that we can rent? Is this reliable? Is there a big fee for pick up at airport and drop off at port. Also, if we do rent a car to go there, is it worth it to rent one going back too, or take Disney transfers.

2. Shuttle or cab

If we do that, then I assume we want to stay very close to the airport at a hotel with a shuttle there so we only have transport to the port. Or use a shuttle to go to a hotel near the port and hope they have port shuttle there.

If we go that route, do you have hotel and shuttle service suggestions? I guess cab is last resort because then I have to have my own car seat, right?

Or other ideas?

I would rent a car and bring my own car seat - that way you know it will fit your daughter and has been well maintained. :cool: The airline will check it for free if you do not want to use it on the flight. Second best would be to rent a car with a seat -- choose one of the bigger agencies (Avis, Hertz, etc.) who will offer the best chance of providing you with the car seat you reserved.

With a rental car you can choose to stay in the Orlando area and drive to PC the morning of your cruise, or drive straight there after your flight to spend time near the beach. The drive from MCO to PC takes about 45+ minutes. All of the car rental agency offices are located close to the port and they will shuttle you to your ship.

There are plenty of hotels to choose from just a mile north of MCO off of T.G. Lee Blvd If you plan on staying in Orlando and driving out to PC on cruise day. There is a group of hotels that many cruisers use about a mile or two from PC in Cocoa Beach. Two that come to mind are the Radisson, and Comfrt Inn. If you stay in Orlando there are stores in the immediate area, same for Cocoa Beach. Renting a car would be your best option, you will not be restricted. The rental car co. provide a free shuttle to the port. They are all located a short drive away. Last I was aware of, there was no fee for dropping a car off in another city. When heading back to MCO just call and they will pick you up. Cab fare will be very expensive. PC is about 45 minute drive. Rte 528 is just outside of MCO, and goes directly to PC. Google Orlando Airport hotels, and Port Canaveral hotels. Hope I was able to help. Have a great vacation.

Last I was aware of, there was no fee for dropping a car off in another city.

One way rental fees are pretty common between Orlando and other cities (Port Canaveral, Miami, Tampa), but it depends on the time of year and agency. Make sure to price several agencies and check for discounts or promos. I have good luck booking one way rentals through a travel agency that gets the one way fee waived. Even so, renting a car is so nice for having flexibility (especially on an overnight stay) on where to stay, what to do, stopping at a store on the way to port, etc., all while usually being the lowest priced option.

EDIT TO ADD: And all of the agencies in Port Canaveral have a free shuttle to the cruise port and free pickup at the port if you rent a car back in the other direction.

Edited by Davey Wavey

One way rental fees are pretty common between Orlando and other cities (Port Canaveral, Miami, Tampa), but it depends on the time of year and agency. Make sure to price several agencies and check for discounts or promos. I have good luck booking one way rentals through a travel agency that gets the one way fee waived. Even so, renting a car is so nice for having flexibility (especially on an overnight stay) on where to stay, what to do, stopping at a store on the way to port, etc., all while usually being the lowest priced option.

EDIT TO ADD: And all of the agencies in Port Canaveral have a free shuttle to the cruise port and free pickup at the port if you rent a car back in the other direction.

I booked a car for my Valor cruise in May for precruise and post cruise. I booked through Budget with a great code. Try using Y93700 OP.

My question is for the post cruise rental if anyone knows. If I choose the "Port Canavaral" location, it adds $9.99 port fee to the reservation. They also have a "Cape Canavaral" location which is the same address as the Port Canavaral location. Of course, I want to save the $9.99.

If I choose the Cape Canavaral location, would I be able to get on the shuttle to pick up the car or is the $9.99 actually an additional charge for the shuttle? Its still a great rate I got but $10 is $10 ;)

My question is for the post cruise rental if anyone knows. If I choose the "Port Canavaral" location, it adds $9.99 port fee to the reservation. They also have a "Cape Canavaral" location which is the same address as the Port Canavaral location. Of course, I want to save the $9.99.

If I choose the Cape Canavaral location, would I be able to get on the shuttle to pick up the car or is the $9.99 actually an additional charge for the shuttle? Its still a great rate I got but $10 is $10 ;)

Assuming you are talking about Budget, their Port Canaveral location (location CC5) is their official shuttle location. The Cape Canaveral location (location ZC5) is at the same address. Their location information for BOTH locations says: "At this location there is free, courtesy shuttle pick-up at Port Canaveral for cruise ship passengers. Disembarking passengers will be directed to the shuttle pick-up location. Upon rental return, the shuttle will return you to the port." So, take the lesser price. Keep your confirmation handy to flash the driver just in case.

Assuming you are talking about Budget, their Port Canaveral location (location CC5) is their official shuttle location. The Cape Canaveral location (location ZC5) is at the same address. Their location information for BOTH locations says: "At this location there is free, courtesy shuttle pick-up at Port Canaveral for cruise ship passengers. Disembarking passengers will be directed to the shuttle pick-up location. Upon rental return, the shuttle will return you to the port." So, take the lesser price. Keep your confirmation handy to flash the driver just in case.

Thank you so much. Yes I am talking about Budget. I just went on carrentals.com and book an Alamo car from Orlando Airport to Port Canavaral for $17.48. :eek:. If I book with Budget directly and save the $10 I think it will end up being cheaper then the carrentals.com rental.

Looks like I'm changing my bookings again :D

I booked a car for my Valor cruise in May for precruise and post cruise. I booked through Budget with a great code. Try using Y93700 OP.

OP sorry, the correct code is Y937800

I believe the $9.99 is a tax for the port. Someone had to pay for the improvements. :o

I'm working through the same question as the OP. I've decided to stay near MCO (partly because we land around 6pm). Thanks to this board, I've booked a 2BR suite (2 parents, 2 teenagers) at Homestead Suites using the HHonors MVP rate. Saved me about $60. I will likely end up getting a rental car as suggested here because of the flexibility that it gives us (going to dinner, CVS, etc.).

I no longer have small children, but back when I did, I found the easiest was to bring own car seat & rent a car. Too many times (especially in Florida), I've seen people waiting at the car rental counter because the agency was "out of car seats" or the were "looking for one". It's just so much easier & stress free that way. You can gate-check the car seat & you only have to carry it the little bit from the plane to the car and back.

As far as CVS's or places to pick up supplies, there's a listing on the parkingstay site , which shows what is close to each hotel if you click the blue walking stick-man figure it shows you whats next to each hotel.

Whether to stay near the Orlando airport or drive to PC/Cocoa Beach first largely depends on your flight times. I'm the type that likes to get to my destination so I don't have traffic/vehicle issues to worry about in the morning, but if I'm arriving on a later flight, then I'd choose to stay near the airport. Good luck with your planning.

Edited by aria48