Trying to Decide: Southern Itinerary Nov 2015

murfturf

I have three in my "Compare Cruises"

Here is the link: Help me decide!

Hope that link works!

I've been on Adventure and Navigator - Navigator right out of dry dock last year. Adventure has been updated since we went on it last. I'm not sure about Jewel since we've sailed FOS and upcoming Allure. Would Jewel be too small? I do like the ships I've been on so far.

I love all the options, the Navigator has only one new stop for us. Adventure and Jewel would have 4 new stops, but fewer sea days and nights on board. Also I think I can get to Ft. Lauderdale cheaper, and faster from Texas. So many factors!

Any input? Thanks in advance!

We are big fans of the southern route. Some of the best beaches I have been to are on Antigua. I love Barbados as well. Not such a fan of St. Croix so we usually just get off for a short time and then go back to the ship.

We have booked our cruise for 2016 on the AOS out of San Juan. I have found some reasonable airfare in the past. Last year we went for under $300.00 per person from Boston. I find that although the airfare is higher the cruises are sometimes priced a little cheaper.

Have fun planning. Whatever you decide will be a blast!:D

I have three in my "Compare Cruises"

Here is the link: Help me decide!

Hope that link works!

I've been on Adventure and Navigator - Navigator right out of dry dock last year. Adventure has been updated since we went on it last. I'm not sure about Jewel since we've sailed FOS and upcoming Allure. Would Jewel be too small? I do like the ships I've been on so far.

I love all the options, the Navigator has only one new stop for us. Adventure and Jewel would have 4 new stops, but fewer sea days and nights on board. Also I think I can get to Ft. Lauderdale cheaper, and faster from Texas. So many factors!

Any input? Thanks in advance!

I would add up the total price of Hotel, Airfare, Transportation to the dock and the cruise fare. I had been researching cruises out of Florida assuming it would be more expensive to leave from Puerto Rico, which turned out not to be true (for the month I'm sailing anyway, in August). Airfare to Puerto Rico (through Texas) was $200 cheaper per person than flying to Florida. Also the Embassy suites in Puerto Rico was $150/night cheaper than the Embassy Suites in Florida as well. A 7 day cruise out of Florida was going to cost me at least a thousand extra dollars than spending 7 days on the cruise from Puerto Rico plus an extra 3 days in Puerto Rico. Also I mention the transportation because 2 years ago we took a cruise out of Galveston and ended up paying an additional $300 just to get from the airport and back. I didn't realize how far away it was and how expensive it would be to get to the port once we flew in to Houston. I would never travel out of Texas again for that reason alone. I don't know how much it costs to take a taxi or bus to the Florida Dock, but I do know it costs only $20 to get there in Puerto Rico.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

How funny.. we enjoyed St Croix. Went to a beautiful beach.

I would chose the Navigator only because I enjoy sea days. Any way to go I'm sure you would have a GREAT time! We went on Adventure last year and really enjoyed it.

I'd prefer to sail out of San Juan than spend a port day in San Juan (though I have done both). Between the cruises leaving from San Juan, I like the Jewel itinerary better - give me St Maarten over Grenada any day.

Edited by kccrzr

The Jewell is definitely a smaller ship with no royal promenade, or flowrider, but it is such a port intensive cruise you don't have much time to anyways. (DH did miss the flow rider) Also we are a young late 40's couple :)

Last April we did a cruise on the Jewel to Barbados, St Maarten, St kitts,Tortola and Dominica (we loved these 2 ports) DH said we have to bring our young adult kids back so we are off again the end of April.

I wouldn't mind trying the Adventure sometime if it went to ports we are interested in.

For us it is about ports and seeing places and doing stuff not about sea days.

Love the AOS, LOVE San Juan and love the Embassy Suites in San Juan. Airfare is probably going to be about as cheap as FLL, hotel probably cheaper and I would miss the Royal Promenade and the ship is part of the vacation for us. JMO...everyone has a different take on it.

I have a review in my signature of the Southern Itinerary on Jewel from Nov 13. We have a similar itinerary planned on Adventure this spring.

Jewel is not that "small"; its just not as loaded with amenities and venues as the newer classes. In our opinion, Jewel is a pretty ship, but we were bored in the evenings and not happy with too few choices for snacking and dining, especially after dinner. We've been on very small ships with even less stuff, but we were able to enjoy the advantages of those very small cruise ship with just 90-300 passengers. For us Jewel still has lots of pax (I don't feel a difference between 2k and 3k pax on a ship) with none of the extra venues and activities. Fortunately, S Caribbean is a very port intensive cruise, so it worked out fine for us, since we called it a night early most nights, but you have to know what you like and choose the right ship. My review has more details!

I would add up the total price of Hotel, Airfare, Transportation to the dock and the cruise fare. I had been researching cruises out of Florida assuming it would be more expensive to leave from Puerto Rico, which turned out not to be true (for the month I'm sailing anyway, in August). Airfare to Puerto Rico (through Texas) was $200 cheaper per person than flying to Florida. Also the Embassy suites in Puerto Rico was $150/night cheaper than the Embassy Suites in Florida as well. A 7 day cruise out of Florida was going to cost me at least a thousand extra dollars than spending 7 days on the cruise from Puerto Rico plus an extra 3 days in Puerto Rico. Also I mention the transportation because 2 years ago we took a cruise out of Galveston and ended up paying an additional $300 just to get from the airport and back. I didn't realize how far away it was and how expensive it would be to get to the port once we flew in to Houston. I would never travel out of Texas again for that reason alone. I don't know how much it costs to take a taxi or bus to the Florida Dock, but I do know it costs only $20 to get there in Puerto Rico.

Great info, thanks!

I have a review in my signature of the Southern Itinerary on Jewel from Nov 13. We have a similar itinerary planned on Adventure this spring.

Jewel is not that "small"; its just not as loaded with amenities and venues as the newer classes. In our opinion, Jewel is a pretty ship, but we were bored in the evenings and not happy with too few choices for snacking and dining, especially after dinner. We've been on very small ships with even less stuff, but we were able to enjoy the advantages of those very small cruise ship with just 90-300 passengers. For us Jewel still has lots of pax (I don't feel a difference between 2k and 3k pax on a ship) with none of the extra venues and activities. Fortunately, S Caribbean is a very port intensive cruise, so it worked out fine for us, since we called it a night early most nights, but you have to know what you like and choose the right ship. My review has more details!

Also great advice! We do like the night life, but more to listen to piano players, go to comedy shows and hang out in cigar bar. Not dancers at all!

Love the input!

The Southern cruises out of San Juan are fantastic! We the Barbados Route on Serenade last time and will be doing the Aruba Route on Adventure this year. We have no problem going from smaller ships to larger ships back to smaller ships for cruises. It does not matter if the is a Royal Promenade or not or flow rider or not as we make use of what the ship has that we are on at the time. As a matter of fact the last cruise on Freedom I had every intention of doing the flow rider and never did, so if a ship does not have one it is not missed! :cool:

Edited by bigque

I should add we have done a cruise out of San Juan - Adventure. Our stops were Aruba (didn't do anything, husband was under the weather, we shopped and stayed on ship) Curacao (took a tour) St. Thomas (snorkeled at St. John) and Dominica (went to the caves, loved it!)

So another trip on Adventure to more Southern Ports would be ideal. I will price out the flights etc and see what works best for us! Thanks :)

We love the southern route on both AD and JW. Dont think you can go wrong with either of those. JW has not been updated. AD was revitalized but it was a mini-revitalization! Nothing of any importance to us. Although I guess the Wayfinders are a nice addition for folks new to the ship. AD has Only one specialty resturant...Giovanni's whereas JW has Chops and Portofinos.

Here is my breakdown before I give you my answer:

Adventure:

The cost of airfare will be higher from Texas than flying to NY

The cost of the hotel the night before will be higher

The cost of the cab ride from airport to hotel may cost more also

St. Thomas, St. Croix common to find cruises, you probably been here

Antigua has something for everybody

Grenada is the "new port" now being added on cruise lines suppose to be great for a variety of activities

The adventure has johnny rockets, outdoor screen, giovanni's table, ben & jerry's, the pub (if these are important)

Jewel:

Leaving from San Juan you have again the airfare/hotel costs

Barbados, St. Lucia and Antigua are wonderful islands to visit

St. Maarten and St. Croix, common on most cruises and perhaps you already been there?

Golf Simulator, seaview cafe, sports court, solarium bar, Portofino (my favorite), Chops, cinema (again if your interested)

Navigator:

Airfare should cost you less to Fl

Hotel should cost less than SJ

Airport very close to the pier

8 nights/ extra night

Labadee hate, its a place of just a beach, my least favorite of all out islands of princes, carnival, and RC other out island but you leave at 3 so its like another sea day.

St. Kitts eh

St. Maarten most ships go here you probably been there

Izumi, sports court, flow rider, giovanni's, chops, outdoor screen, solarium bar, cafe promenade, ben & jerrys, pub, vintages, latin club.

Here is my suggestion:

NAVIGATOR-I am assuming that airfare is cheaper to FLL...and the cost of hotel will be also and cab from hotel/airport and cruise terminal to airport....

If ports aren't an interest for you much and you get an extra day on the cruise PLUS you have 3 sea days and I love having two sea days before I get back from my cruise.

If you like to sightsee Barbados and St. Lucia offer you a lot more sightseeing

Jewel is port port port port and back home

Adventure you have that nice last full day at sea

For the ship overall and for sea days- Navigator

For ports- Jewel

I WOULD CHOOSE NAVIGATOR DEFINATELY!

Here is my breakdown before I give you my answer:

Adventure:

The cost of airfare will be higher from Texas than flying to NY

The cost of the hotel the night before will be higher

The cost of the cab ride from airport to hotel may cost more also

St. Thomas, St. Croix common to find cruises, you probably been here

Antigua has something for everybody

Grenada is the "new port" now being added on cruise lines suppose to be great for a variety of activities

The adventure has johnny rockets, outdoor screen, giovanni's table, ben & jerry's, the pub (if these are important)

Jewel:

Leaving from San Juan you have again the airfare/hotel costs

Barbados, St. Lucia and Antigua are wonderful islands to visit

St. Maarten and St. Croix, common on most cruises and perhaps you already been there?

Golf Simulator, seaview cafe, sports court, solarium bar, Portofino (my favorite), Chops, cinema (again if your interested)

Navigator:

Airfare should cost you less to Fl

Hotel should cost less than SJ

Airport very close to the pier

8 nights/ extra night

Labadee hate, its a place of just a beach, my least favorite of all out islands of princes, carnival, and RC other out island but you leave at 3 so its like another sea day.

St. Kitts eh

St. Maarten most ships go here you probably been there

Izumi, sports court, flow rider, giovanni's, chops, outdoor screen, solarium bar, cafe promenade, ben & jerrys, pub, vintages, latin club.

Here is my suggestion:

NAVIGATOR-I am assuming that airfare is cheaper to FLL...and the cost of hotel will be also and cab from hotel/airport and cruise terminal to airport....

If ports aren't an interest for you much and you get an extra day on the cruise PLUS you have 3 sea days and I love having two sea days before I get back from my cruise.

If you like to sightsee Barbados and St. Lucia offer you a lot more sightseeing

Jewel is port port port port and back home

Adventure you have that nice last full day at sea

For the ship overall and for sea days- Navigator

For ports- Jewel

I WOULD CHOOSE NAVIGATOR DEFINATELY!

Wow! Thanks! Yes, the ports lean me toward Jewel but the Sea Days and ships make me lean toward Navigator, as well as easier commute to port. SAT to SJU is a long day, but we can get to FLL easily. We leave from FLL in March, so it would also be a known entity, although we have done SJU before too. Navigator only gives me one new stop. St. Lucia is the biggest draw I think, but for this November cruise we are looking to relax!

Such a helpful group of people!

Just remember Jewel has had no upgrades yet...but I just did a great itinerary on her in October... San Juan, St Kitts, St Thomas, Aruba & Curacao...too bad AOS isn't doing this for 2015.

Which means she still has the sea view cafe which is the best casual dining option in the fleet. I will be sad to see this amenity go when Jewel goes to dry dock.