CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

I'm re-posting the directions with cleaner formatting for myself and others, as something like this would likely need to be read on the fly by a passenger.

Thank you very much for posting them. It appears a bit more complicated than google maps shows!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

When you come through the toll plaza there are lots of choices and you have to make a quick decision as to where you are going.

For a first timer there's not time to stop and try to spot the correct little sign and I'm not sure the names of all the streets are clearly marked.

GPS is notoriously bad in this area.

- After you pay your toll you go straight across the toll plaza and get on a 2 lane ramp that goes up and curves left. This is hard to miss.

- On the ramp you stay on the right and make the first right, stay to the right and make another right.

- You will come to the light at route 440 where you will make a left, stay left, and make a left at the first light onto Goldsborough Drive.

- Route 440 is a four lane divided highway. You can only turn left at a traffic light - going south the first light is now at Goldsborough Drive.

- The left turn into the port used to be at Port Terminal Blvd (and it still is coming the other way), but they shut down that turn fairly recently and made Goldsborough Drive the main port access road coming from the north.

- Goldsborough Drive will merge with Port Terminal Blvd. You will be able to see the ship and you just follow the crowd about 2 miles out to the ship.

Hi All - we will be driving to the port from Maine on April 24th (Quantum). We are going to drive to Meriden CT on Thurs, and drive the rest of the way Friday morning. I have a couple questions... from the toll plaza , is the two lane ramp (that curves left) immediately on the left after the toll? - then turn right toward Pulaski and another right onto Pulaski? A little nervous about the drive :o Thanks !

Hi All - we will be driving to the port from Maine on April 24th (Quantum). We are going to drive to Meriden CT on Thurs, and drive the rest of the way Friday morning. I have a couple questions... from the toll plaza , is the two lane ramp (that curves left) immediately on the left after the toll? - then turn right toward Pulaski and another right onto Pulaski? A little nervous about the drive :o Thanks !

The ramp is straight across the toll plaza. Here's a video. No real street signs.

This is my first posts here. I will be cruising on Quantum on Apr 24th. I was planning on staying at or near Newark airport. I would like to know the best, simplest and least expensive ways to get to and from the port. Thank you.

Welcome to cruise critic! Could you provide more details?

How many people? Hotel budget? Are you flying? If so, what time do you arrive?

Your options for getting to the port are cab or private car service - about $55-60 for the car (best). Public transit is also an option if you're on a tight budget (least expensive). You must be selective about your airport hotel - Newark is a highly industrialized urban area.

The ramp is straight across the toll plaza. Here's a video. No real street signs.

Thank you so much Carol. Now I think I understand...the toll plaza is at the end of the turnpike? ... Hence, going straight across and onto the ramp. Do you have any idea how the traffic might be on a Friday mid-morning? Travelling from Meriden CT it should be a two hour drive. Thanks

Welcome to cruise critic! Could you provide more details?

How many people? Hotel budget? Are you flying? If so, what time do you arrive?

Your options for getting to the port are cab or private car service - about $55-60 for the car (best). Public transit is also an option if you're on a tight budget (least expensive). You must be selective about your airport hotel - Newark is a highly industrialized urban area.

Just two. I am a little familiar with the airport location. If I stay I plan to stay at the Double Tree located at the airport. If you have any other suggestions I would happy to hear them. Also I may or may not even stay the night. I could fly into Newark early on departure day. I have not yet decided. Again I am open to suggestions or ideas. I would like to keep spending to a minimum for the hotel and transportation.

Can you also tell me if I should plan for the same dollar amount for the return to the airport upon arrival back into Cape Liberty?

Thx

You do not want to hit the NY/CT line before 9 am.

Leaving from Meriden you want to get on the Wilbur Cross Parkway.

Directions from Mass

If you come out the Mass Pike, you pick up I84 west in Auburn and I91 south in Hartford. You take exit 17 marked W Cross Parkway. This becomes the Merritt Parkway at Milford.

If you come down I95 there is a cutover to the Merritt at Milford CT exit 38. At Rye NY there is another cutover to the Hutchinson River Parkway South exit 21 immediately after exit 1 in CT. This cutover is longer than the one at Milford and involves getting off onto I287 West and following the signs to the Merritt/Hutch. You get off onto a service road, go through a few lights and take the turn for the Hutch south.

The Merritt Pkwy becomes the Hutchinson River Pkwy at the NY/CT line. From the Hutch take exit 15 in New Rochelle to get on the Cross County Pkwy. Stay in the middle left lane, which will become the left lane when the road "scrunches". This leads onto the Saw Mill River Pkwy South which becomes the Henry Hudson Pkwy at the NYC line ($5 toll). The toll is worth every penny. If you don't have an EZPass, you will get a bill in the mail. Pay it!

You take the George Washington Bridge exit and slide over to the middle left lane. Follow the NJ Turnpike signs. When you get on the turnpike, follow the first set of Lincoln Tunnel signs to get on the eastern spur of the turnpike, but don't get off at the actual tunnel exit. Continue on to exit 14-14A-14B-14C and follow the signs to exit 14A.

The are no trucks on this route from Meriden CT to the GW Bridge and you will avoid any traffic issues on the Cross Bronx Expressway or the intersection with I87.

My wife and I will be cruising out of Cape Liberty in just under a month (driving out from Ohio). We currently have the Ramada in Newark booked through Trinity Reservations.

I've been doing some additional research.. and I'm starting to have second thoughts regarding the Newark area in regards to driving and parking there.

Is that hotel decent to drive to coming in from the west.. or is that area really hectic/sketchy?

My other 2 options (that I've thought of) are the following:

1. Drive up from Harrisburg the day of the cruise - park at port (ship leaves bayonne at 7pm)

2. Stay in another hotel in a calmer part of NJ- park at port.

Any suggestions or advice?

My wife and I will be cruising out of Cape Liberty in just under a month (driving out from Ohio). We currently have the Ramada in Newark booked through Trinity Reservations.

I've been doing some additional research.. and I'm starting to have second thoughts regarding the Newark area in regards to driving and parking there.

Is that hotel decent to drive to coming in from the west.. or is that area really hectic/sketchy?

My other 2 options (that I've thought of) are the following:

1. Drive up from Harrisburg the day of the cruise - park at port (ship leaves bayonne at 7pm)

2. Stay in another hotel in a calmer part of NJ- park at port.

Any suggestions or advice?

Could you provide more details? What date is your cruise? How many days? Are you also staying overnight in the Harrisburg area? Which route are you coming in on - nj turnpike, I78 or I80?

The Newark area can be hectic, but chances are that your will have to drive through it to get to the port. Folks have been very happy with the park/sleep at the Ramada. The parking is gated and the hotel operates 7x24 with folks coming and going at all hours. It is relatively isolated on the north side of the airport with no easy access by random folks.

Edited by 138east

Coming from that distance I would recommend you drive most of the way the night before and Hotwire a room in Central NJ if you come in the turnpike or in Parsippany, NJ if you come in I80. If you want queen beds, we can recommend direct book hotels in either of those areas and provide port directions.

Hello Carol. As you well know we are Pittsburgh residents and usually do the, less than desirable, drive in the same day. This 6 hour drive is partially due to limited vacation days and leaves me pretty tired that first night. We try to get on the road no later than 5:30 am. That means a LONG DAY. Like you, I recommend they stay maybe in Allentown or in NJ overnight and get a fresh start later in the morning.

Could you provide more details? What date is your cruise? How many days? Are you coming from the Harrisburg area? Which route are you coming in on - nj turnpike, I78 or I80?

The Newark area can be hectic, but chances are that your will have to drive through it to get to the port. Folks have been very happy with the park/sleep at the Ramada. The parking is gated and the hotel operates 7x24 with folks coming and going at all hours. It is relatively isolated on the north side of the airport with no easy access by random folks.

Cruise is may 6-16.

Google shows either 78 or 76/95 as viable options from Harrisburg to Newark or Bayonne.

Is there much difference in the traffic/hassle of either of those routes? Before I was assuming 78 is better due to it not being a toll road.. but not dealing with traffic or crazy drivers can be worth its weight in tolls.

We have stayed at the Renaissance before & it was a great hotel. With various Marriott discounts I checked the prices & even with parking, was cheaper than some of the other Marriotts. I spoke to the hotel & they said there was a free shuttle that would take you to a closeby bar/restaurant- like a TGIF for dinner. We decided to stay at the Residence Inn off of exit 8A on NJT in New Brunswick. I drove back from LI to DC yesterday & that Residence Inn would be approximately 30 minute drive to exit 14A off NJT. Its in more of an industrial area I would call it but I think it would be OK for one night. Someone correct me if I am wrong please.

BTW for those of you coming from the north or east of NJ, the Bayonne Bridge is undergoing extensive repairs and is closed sometimes. Yesterday the bridge was closed until 3pm in both directions. So not good if you are traveling to the port as, Carol correct me if I am wrong, you would than have to detour to NJT so travel time would go from 20 to 45 Minutes approximately.

I checked the rates at the Staten Island hotels & the parking & shuttle rate was no better than the booking the Marriott & driving myself to the pier.

It looks like you might be coming July 14 for the Liberty.

Please provide more details. What route would you be coming? Can the 4 of you share a room or do you require two rooms? What sized beds do you need?

Parking at the port us $19/day so that's $171 for a nine day cruise. For $208 tax included you can do a park/sleep/cruise through trinityreservations.com that includes parking AND round trip port transportation for 4 people.

Not really sure what route we would be taking in. I guess we need to figure that out. Two queens is fine for us. Is there a route that is better?

Hello Carol. As you well know we are Pittsburgh residents and usually do the, less than desirable, drive in the same day. This 6 hour drive is partially due to limited vacation days and leaves me pretty tired that first night. We try to get on the road no later than 5:30 am. That means a LONG DAY. Like you, I recommend they stay maybe in Allentown or in NJ overnight and get a fresh start later in the morning.

Hi Ken! Every time someone asks about coming from western PA I think of you and Deb leaving at 5:30 am to make the 6 hour trip. I know you have other logistical considerations as well. I usually leave at 5-5:30 am to catch the cruise bus and even though I'm not driving, it's a really long day. I lucked out in Jan and took the train instead and stayed overnight in Newark. It made a big difference. There's no way I would have wanted to ride the bus back to Boston in the snow/blizzard that greeted us on our return. As it was I had to

Hotwire a Boston hotel because I couldn't get home to the burbs.

Cruise is may 6-16.

Google shows either 78 or 76/95 as viable options from Harrisburg to Newark or Bayonne.

Is there much difference in the traffic/hassle of either of those routes? Before I was assuming 78 is better due to it not being a toll road.. but not dealing with traffic or crazy drivers can be worth its weight in tolls.

You're sailing midweek. My feeling is that the traffic towards NY will be better if you can get to Newark before the start of rush hour. If you try to make the trip in the morning you will have to wait until after the morning rush to avoid traffic.

The Ramada is just off I78. The directions say exit 58B. I haven't approached that area from the west in a long time, but I do know it's important to be in the local lanes of I78. Follow the signs to Frontage Road. If you can see the Doubletree, the Ramada is next door.

You will pay $190 to park at the pier. For that money through Trinity you get a hotel room, round trip port transportation and parking.

We have stayed at the Renaissance before & it was a great hotel. With various Marriott discounts I checked the prices & even with parking, was cheaper than some of the other Marriotts. I spoke to the hotel & they said there was a free shuttle that would take you to a closeby bar/restaurant- like a TGIF for dinner. We decided to stay at the Residence Inn off of exit 8A on NJT in New Brunswick. I drove back from LI to DC yesterday & that Residence Inn would be approximately 30 minute drive to exit 14A off NJT. Its in more of an industrial area I would call it but I think it would be OK for one night. Someone correct me if I am wrong please.

BTW for those of you coming from the north or east of NJ, the Bayonne Bridge is undergoing extensive repairs and is closed sometimes. Yesterday the bridge was closed until 3pm in both directions. So not good if you are traveling to the port as, Carol correct me if I am wrong, you would than have to detour to NJT so travel time would go from 20 to 45 Minutes approximately.

I checked the rates at the Staten Island hotels & the parking & shuttle rate was no better than the booking the Marriott & driving myself to the pier.

The Residence Inn at exit 8A should be a good choice. My parents lived in that area for a number of years and I grew up about 15 minutes from there. It's hard to categorize the area exactly. It used to be all farms, so there's a very rural feel to it. The development has been primarily large properties with landscaped warehouses and retirement communities. Route 130 is ...well it's route 130. It doesn't seem to have changed much in that area since I was a child.

The Bayonne Bridge closings have really only affected the folks coming from Long Island across the Verazzano Bridge. If you're coming from the north, south, or west there's no reason at all to pay the toll to go to Staten Island to then cross the Bayonne Bridge back to NJ.

The Bayonne Bridge closing had no affect on me since I was driving to DC. I don't need the Bayonne bridge to drive to DC so the bridge closing doesn't affect all of us from LI. However, if we elected to stay at one of the Staten Island hotels that has a park stay shuttle to the port it would, so that's why I mentioned it. There is no way I would stay there now with a possible bridge closing.

I investigated all the Marriotts around there since we are platinum lifetime Marriot members. We're going to stay at the Residence Inn in Woodbridge ourselves & just park at the pier. That gave us a great rate, no charge for parking & we are within a 30 minute drive to the port which is fine with me. Shouldn't be too much traffic on a Sunday am anyway but you never know.

Not really sure what route we would be taking in. I guess we need to figure that out. Two queens is fine for us. Is there a route that is better?

Perhaps Ken can tell us the route he takes from Pittsburgh.

You will get two doubles with the Ramada deal, so perhaps that's not the best for you. Staying about an hour from the port and paying to park might work the best. Pick a route and we'll take it from there.

The Residence inn we are staying at is in Woodbridge NJ & Not New Brunswick- sorry I posted it wrong. It's off the NJT at exit 8A. Its 30 minute drive to the port

The one I was talking about is the one at exit 8A. Technically it's in Cranbury, NJ. Follow the Marriott web site directions so you don't have to go on route 130.

Take New Jersey Turnpike to Exit 8A. After toll plaza, bear right and follow signs for Cranbury South Brunswick (Route 32 West/Route 130). Make a left at traffic light onto Route 535 (Cranbury-South River Road). After 3rd traffic light (Dey Road.), rear entrance of hotel will be on the right, approximately 1/2 mile.

It is only about 30-40 minutes to the port. My mother and I used to drive to the port from exit 8 when we cruised from Bayonne.

Carol I checked the driving directions on the Marriott site & Google maps & they differ drastically from what you said. Are you sure we are talking about the same Marriott? Driving directions say to get off NJT at exit 10 which is Rt440 & the exit for the Outerbridge crossing that I am very familiar with. Than take exit for Rt9 north. Make right onto Regency Place. Is that correct?

Carol I checked the driving directions on the Marriott site & Google maps & they differ drastically from what you said. Are you sure we are talking about the same Marriott? Driving directions say to get off NJT at exit 10 which is Rt440 & the exit for the Outerbridge crossing that I am very familiar with. Than take exit for Rt9 north. Make right onto Regency Place. Is that correct?

I think we have a misconfusion. You posted you were staying at exit 8A, but you also mentioned Woodbridge. I responded about exit 8A.

"The Residence inn we are staying at is in Woodbridge NJ & Not New Brunswick- sorry I posted it wrong. It's off the NJT at exit 8A. Its 30 minute drive to the port"

Carol, so the driving directions I have is correct? As you had indicated, I had changed my email to give the hotel in Woodbridge & not New Brunswick. I had checked New Brunswick but it was too far & off Rt1&9 & not close to the NJT so picked Woodbridge. When I originally wrote the email I just put the wrong city so that's why I did the followup email to correct my error when I noticed it.

The Residence inn we are staying at is in Woodbridge NJ & Not New Brunswick- sorry I posted it wrong. It's off the NJT at exit 8A. Its 30 minute drive to the port

The Woodbridge one should be off exit 10 or so NOT 8A...that is the South Brunswick/Cranbury Residence Inn..

Neither is an industrial area...8A is office parks/warehouses and is nicer than it may sound. Woodbridge is a cluster of traffic hell and it is NOT my fave hotel...the GM (at the time I was there about a year ago) has no business being in the hotel industry but that's another story...

Either would be fine, but allow 45 minutes to an hour from 8A area as traffic can be a pain in the rear.

The WOODBRIDGE Res Inn IS off Route 9/440/NJ Tpke and Garden State Parkway (GSP) - the roads all intersect sort of..)

ETA: 1125, read the entire thread first... argh... :O sorry...

Edited by megr1125