CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

I like aa.com for ideas which is where I found this hotel. Quite frankly it was the ONLY appealing midtown Manhattan choice in your $600 + tax price range.

Make a cancellable reservation now directly with the hotel. Then you can watch the discount sites later on to see what is discounted. It's way too early now to get deals - all the hotels still have high hopes of selling their rooms directly and getting rack rate.

At $202 plus tax this hotel could be a real keeper if its prices stay in that range. The reason for the low price is that it is a new hotel that opened last month and they are trying to attract business. I scanned through a whole bunch of hotels and couldn't find anything else with a nice midtown location at this price point.

I have The Paul booked now, thanks again for your suggestions.

Really appreciated.

The Highline Park is not that far of a walk from the hotel. Check it out. Plus lots of awesome restaurants in the Meat Packing district which is not that far from there either. Here is the website for the park, if you are not familiar. http://www.thehighline.org/visit

We (2 of us) are flying into Newark in October for a New England/Canada cruise, and we are then attending a wedding in Brooklyn (Dumbo) on disembarkation day...a Saturday.

The tentative plan is to stay at the Embassy Suites at EWR the day before embarkation and then get a shuttle or cab to the port the following morning (Saturday).

Questions:

What is the best (non public) transport option from the EWR Embassy Suites to the port?

Where to stay in or around Brooklyn (Dumbo) for one night? Hampton Inn?

Method of tranport from the pier to the Brooklyn area hotel (lugging luggage) ?

Which airport to fly from (to ATL) on Sunday after the wedding? EWR, JFK, other?

Best (non public) transport from the Brooklyn area hotel to the airport?

Thanks in advance. Kevin

Hi! DH and I will be flying to EWR next week for our Quantum cruise. We are staying in Manhattan for a few days pre-cruise. Thanks to the invaluable info provided on this thread and its predecessor, we plan to arrange for car service from EWR to Manhattan then from Manhattan to the cruise port. I know that many of you have recommended Dial 7 and Carmel Limo. I was wondering if some of you could let me know if you find one company is better to use than the other. The online reviews of both companies are dreadful, so I am relying on any advice or information you could provide to help me make the best choice. I know the cost is similar - one might be cheaper than the other by a few dollars - but our main concern is reliability and good service since we are first-timers to the area. Thanks very much in advance for any assistance/information you can provide!

Hi! DH and I will be flying to EWR next week for our Quantum cruise. We are staying in Manhattan for a few days pre-cruise. Thanks to the invaluable info provided on this thread and its predecessor, we plan to arrange for car service from EWR to Manhattan then from Manhattan to the cruise port. I know that many of you have recommended Dial 7 and Carmel Limo. I was wondering if some of you could let me know if you find one company is better to use than the other. The online reviews of both companies are dreadful, so I am relying on any advice or information you could provide to help me make the best choice. I know the cost is similar - one might be cheaper than the other by a few dollars - but our main concern is reliability and good service since we are first-timers to the area. Thanks very much in advance for any assistance/information you can provide!

Here's a recent short thread on the same topic. The general answer is that either is acceptable.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2182635

Don't pay attention to reviews on Yelp and the like. These companies transport thousands of passengers every month. No one is going to bother to write a review of a car service unless something gets screwed up (which does happen from time to time as no company provides perfect service). So what you're going to see on Yelp is the three people who have a complaint, not the three thousand who found their service acceptable.

Edited by njhorseman

There are two Courtyards at Newark Airport - one in Newark clustered with Fairfield Inn and Springhill Suites and one in Elizabeth clustered with Residence Inn. There is also a third Courtyard in Jersey City which IMO is the nicest - close to the port, next door to PATH for a quick trip into NYC, and in a recently developed upscale urban area with restaurants and services.

IMO distance to the port for all these properties is similar. The properties in Elizabeth on Glimcher Realty Way at Exit 13A are the easiest to find in a car and are next to the Jersey Gardens Mall.

I am new to all this so forgive me if I am in the wrong place!

We are departing 10/4/2015 on the Summit from Cape Liberty. I have reserved pre and post cruise nights at the Renaissance Newark Airport Hotel on Spring St, in Elizabeth, NJ. Have I made a BIG mistake reserving this hotel? This is the ONE Marriott hotel that has seldom (if ever) mentioned. What are the good and bad points for this hotel? I am looking for a Marriott in a nice area, close to the outlet mall and places to eat. I am NOT looking for public transport anywhere, nor do we need parking since we are flying in from SFO.

Really need your help! MG

We are departing 10/4/2015 on the Summit from Cape Liberty. I have reserved pre and post cruise nights at the Renaissance Newark Airport Hotel on Spring St, in Elizabeth, NJ. Have I made a BIG mistake reserving this hotel? This is the ONE Marriott hotel that has seldom (if ever) mentioned. What are the good and bad points for this hotel? I am looking for a Marriott in a nice area, close to the outlet mall and places to eat. I am NOT looking for public transport anywhere, nor do we need parking since we are flying in from SFO.

You do not want to stay at the Renaissance if you're looking for a hotel in a nice area, close to the outlet mall and places to eat. There's nothing near the Renaissance.

You want one of the hotels on Glimcher Realty Way. Marriott properties there are a Courtyard and a Residence Inn.

Edited by njhorseman

The Renaisaance is one of the nicest hotels at the airport. It also tends to be one of the most expensive hotels, which is why we don't discuss it much on this board. Location is the only issue with this hotel.

The hotels near Jersey Gardens Mall are the Courtyard, the Residence Inn, Embassy Suites, and Country Inns. We recommend all these hotels often. If you want a Marriot property, switch your reservation to the Courtyard or Residence Inn.

I am a real Marriott lover...the Renaissance is very nice...and usually NOT cheap, plus not near anything. Now, the shuttle will, if asked, take you to Jersey Gardens in between runs to the airport...

We don't suggest it due to rates, and parking fees, plus it's not near things as we mentioned.. that said, I have stayed there a few times and have been happy....

Last I was on this board over a year ago, I was given SPOT ON driving instructions to Cape Liberty. It saved me much time & aggravation, and I'm still very thankful to 138East/Carol for those directions. I'd done the trip to Cape Liberty 3 times previously going a variety of ways based on google maps, map quest & my gps. Nothing was as easy as Carol's directions.

Now I'm back asking for directions to Embassy Suites in Newark, coming from central CT. I must confess, we're flying out of EWR for a land vacation...but I'm hoping you'll still help with directions.

Here's what I have saved from the directions I was given last time time we went to Cape Liberty, and I've edited them based on google maps, to end at Embassy suites instead of the port. Does this look right?

Merritt south, to

Hutchinson River Pkwy (at NY/CT line), to

Exit 15, Cross County Pkwy, get in middle-left lane (turns into left lane) to

Saw Mill Pkwy to

Henry Hudson Pkwy (at NYC line) - $4 toll, to

GWB exit, get in middle left lane, to

NJ Turnpike, (follow signs for Lincoln Tunnel) to

exit 13 A toward Elizabeth/Elizabeth Seaport/Newark Airport

continue on NJ-81 N

take the exit toward North Ave W

Keep right at the fork to continue toward North Ave E

Keep left at the fork, follow signs for Ikea Dr./Elizabeth Seaport/North Ave E and merge onto North Ave E

Turn right onto Kapkowski Rd

Turn right onto Glimcher Realty Way

#95 Glimcher Realty Way on the left.

TIA!!!!

Last I was on this board over a year ago, I was given SPOT ON driving instructions to Cape Liberty. It saved me much time & aggravation, and I'm still very thankful to 138East/Carol for those directions. I'd done the trip to Cape Liberty 3 times previously going a variety of ways based on google maps, map quest & my gps. Nothing was as easy as Carol's directions.

Now I'm back asking for directions to Embassy Suites in Newark, coming from central CT. I must confess, we're flying out of EWR for a land vacation...but I'm hoping you'll still help with directions.

Here's what I have saved from the directions I was given last time time we went to Cape Liberty, and I've edited them based on google maps, to end at Embassy suites instead of the port. Does this look right?

Merritt south, to

Hutchinson River Pkwy (at NY/CT line), to

Exit 15, Cross County Pkwy, get in middle-left lane (turns into left lane) to

Saw Mill Pkwy to

Henry Hudson Pkwy (at NYC line) - $4 toll, to

GWB exit, get in middle left lane, to

NJ Turnpike, (follow signs for Lincoln Tunnel) to

exit 13 A toward Elizabeth/Elizabeth Seaport/Newark Airport

continue on NJ-81 N

take the exit toward North Ave W

Keep right at the fork to continue toward North Ave E

Keep left at the fork, follow signs for Ikea Dr./Elizabeth Seaport/North Ave E and merge onto North Ave E

Turn right onto Kapkowski Rd

Turn right onto Glimcher Realty Way

#95 Glimcher Realty Way on the left.

TIA!!!!

The Henry Hudson toll is now $5. If you don't have EZ Pass, they will send you a bill in the mail. PAY IT! Otherwise they can hold up your auto renewal.

These directions will work. However the time I stayed in this area at Country Inns, coming off the turnpike I followed the signs to Jersey Gardens Blvd West. There is a traffic light at Kapowski Blvd where you make a left one block to Glimcher Realty Way where you make another left and the Courtyard is on your left. This seems a bit simpler to me. You can actually see the hotel complex when you get close to it, so it is obvious where you should be heading.

Perhaps Meg will comment. She has stayed in this area many times.

Hello, we are driving in from PA for a cruise out of Bayonne. Should we just come in early in the morning and park, or would you suggest driving in the night before and staying at a hotel?

Also, is parking at the Cape Liberty port the safest option for our car? We will be on a 9 day cruise. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Hello, we are driving in from PA for a cruise out of Bayonne. Should we just come in early in the morning and park, or would you suggest driving in the night before and staying at a hotel?

Also, is parking at the Cape Liberty port the safest option for our car? We will be on a 9 day cruise. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Please provide more details. Where are you coming from in PA? What is your exact date? How many people are you?

Parking at the port has been one of the safest options except for Hurrucaine Sandy. It is $19/day.

The Renaisaance is one of the nicest hotels at the airport. It also tends to be one of the most expensive hotels, which is why we don't discuss it much on this board. Location is the only issue with this hotel.

The hotels near Jersey Gardens Mall are the Courtyard, the Residence Inn, Embassy Suites, and Country Inns. We recommend all these hotels often. If you want a Marriot property, switch your reservation to the Courtyard or Residence Inn.

I am a real Marriott lover...the Renaissance is very nice...and usually NOT cheap, plus not near anything. Now, the shuttle will, if asked, take you to Jersey Gardens in between runs to the airport...

We don't suggest it due to rates, and parking fees, plus it's not near things as we mentioned.. that said, I have stayed there a few times and have been happy....

We are staying at the Renaissance one night prior to our Canada cruise in September. We are looking for a nice hotel and the price seemed reasonable. Not looking for shopping or restaurants beyond what the hotel provides.

Still unsure if they offer a shuttle to the port. The web site has a park and cruise package but we are flying. I cannot get any info as to if we can book a shuttle through the hotel.

There are 4 of us coming from Pittsburgh in July 18 I believe.

Coming from that distance I would recommend you drive most of the way the night before and Hotwire a room in Central NJ if you come in the turnpike or in Parsippany, NJ if you come in I80. If you want queen beds, we can recommend direct book hotels in either of those areas and provide port directions.

We are staying at the Renaissance one night prior to our Canada cruise in September. We are looking for a nice hotel and the price seemed reasonable. Not looking for shopping or restaurants beyond what the hotel provides.

Still unsure if they offer a shuttle to the port. The web site has a park and cruise package but we are flying. I cannot get any info as to if we can book a shuttle through the hotel.

They do not...

They can call a taxi for you or a car service....it will still be in the 50-60 range, but they do not have a free shuttle, or any shuttle that i know of, to the pier...

The Henry Hudson toll is now $5. If you don't have EZ Pass, they will send you a bill in the mail. PAY IT! Otherwise they can hold up your auto renewal.

These directions will work. However the time I stayed in this area at Country Inns, coming off the turnpike I followed the signs to Jersey Gardens Blvd West. There is a traffic light at Kapowski Blvd where you make a left one block to Glimcher Realty Way where you make another left and the Courtyard is on your left. This seems a bit simpler to me. You can actually see the hotel complex when you get close to it, so it is obvious where you should be heading.

Perhaps Meg will comment. She has stayed in this area many times.

Yes, the directions are fine....the ES is basically across Glimcher Realty way from the Country Inn...The 4 main hotels we suggest are all visible from one another...there's also an Extended Stay America too...not a fan of that brand as a rule...

But if you can find one of the hotels, you can find them all.

Coming from that distance I would recommend you drive most of the way the night before and Hotwire a room in Central NJ if you come in the turnpike or in Parsippany, NJ if you come in I80. If you want queen beds, we can recommend direct book hotels in either of those areas and provide port directions.

Ok, yes that will be best. Also, directions would be most appreciated. So you would suggest parking at the port?

It looks like you might be coming July 14 for the Liberty.

Please provide more details. What route would you be coming? Can the 4 of you share a room or do you require two rooms? What sized beds do you need?

Parking at the port us $19/day so that's $171 for a nine day cruise. For $208 tax included you can do a park/sleep/cruise through trinityreservations.com that includes parking AND round trip port transportation for 4 people.