CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

I wouldn't. If you need to be at the airport by 8:30, any delay on the ship could make you late. When I just got off in NYC, we stood on line for over an hour while they cleared us. We started disembarking almost 2 hours late. I wouldn't chance it if you could fly out later.

I agree. When Cape Liberty works well, you can be off the ship early. But.......when it isn't working well, it really sucks. I've been on a number of Explorer cruises where we were docked before 7 am, but disembarkation was held up for no apparent reason until after 8:30 am.

No real complaints about this hotel, but no real raves either. It does offer free breakfast, but doesn't have a restaurant and there is nothing near by to walk to. It's on route 1, which is a major truck route.

What are you paying for this hotel? Is your reservation cancellable? What time does your flight get in?

If you look on aa.com, Country Inns is a similar price. It has free breakfast and is next to an Ihop and a Ruby Tuesday's plus the Jersey Gardens Mall with Appleby's and a food court. If you call them directly, you may be able to buy rt cruise shuttle transportation for $70 for two people.

Carol,

A few months ago you were kind enough to give guidance about my hotel selection and airport. We have decided to stay (with the generosity of a friend with Hilton points) to stay at the Hilton Penn Station in Newark. My question is: we plan to take the PATh to the World Trade Center. It appears walkable to go to Battery Park from there. Is this a doable, safe walk?

Thank you so much for any input!

Absolutely! I used to commute to downtown via PATH and walk or take the subway to my office across the street from South Ferry/Battery Park.

An interesting way to go is to walk down Trinity Place to the back of Trinity Church, cut through the church graveyard to Broadway, take a look down Wall Street, and continue down Broadway to Bowling Green Park and on to Battery Park.

Carol,

A few months ago you were kind enough to give guidance about my hotel selection and airport. We have decided to stay (with the generosity of a friend with Hilton points) to stay at the Hilton Penn Station in Newark. My question is: we plan to take the PATh to the World Trade Center. It appears walkable to go to Battery Park from there. Is this a doable, safe walk?

Thank you so much for any input!

Very close, very safe. I would be much more concerned about walking in Newark. Certainly not alone and not in the dark-- but someone else may be able to give better info here.

Very close, very safe. I would be much more concerned about walking in Newark. Certainly not alone and not in the dark-- but someone else may be able to give better info here.

There is a sky bridge walkway between the Newark Penn Station Hilton and Newark Penn Station. You don't want to wander the neighborhood on foot. I just stayed several blocks away at the Robert Treat and it was fine, but I used the hotel shuttle to go to and from the train station.

Tolls are paid in cash unless you have an EZPass transponder. Bridge/tunnel toll into NYC ( but not out of NYC) is currently $14.

Port parking can be paid by credit card.

OMG!!! $14??!!?? :eek: Thanks for the warning.

I am flying into JFK on the morning (6:00AM arrival) of April 4th for a cruise leaving on the 5th. I am trying to decide which hotel to book and how to get in between JFK, hotel, and the cruise port. Has anyone had any luck getting an early check-in at any hotel in the area.

I have looked at the Country Inn and Suites for the stay and cruise package but it includes round trip transportation to/from the cruise port and I really only need it to take me to the cruise port since I will be going to JFK after the cruise on April 12th. If car services are running the $50-60 range then it really wouldn't save much to book a different hotel and a car service.

I am considering taking some time to go into Manhattan on Saturday so ease of access to transportation to there would be something I would consider as well.

In addition, do any of the shared shuttle services leaving the port go to JFK? If so, what is the fare as compared to the EWR fare?

What about shared shuttle service from JFK to EWR, how much does it run and where would I find it?

I am flying into JFK on the morning (6:00AM arrival) of April 4th for a cruise leaving on the 5th. I am trying to decide which hotel to book and how to get in between JFK, hotel, and the cruise port. Has anyone had any luck getting an early check-in at any hotel in the area.

I have looked at the Country Inn and Suites for the stay and cruise package but it includes round trip transportation to/from the cruise port and I really only need it to take me to the cruise port since I will be going to JFK after the cruise on April 12th. If car services are running the $50-60 range then it really wouldn't save much to book a different hotel and a car service.

I am considering taking some time to go into Manhattan on Saturday so ease of access to transportation to there would be something I would consider as well.

In addition, do any of the shared shuttle services leaving the port go to JFK? If so, what is the fare as compared to the EWR fare?

What about shared shuttle service from JFK to EWR, how much does it run and where would I find it?

I'm assuming you are sailing out of Cape Liberty on the Quantum. What is your hotel budget? Can you manage your luggage so that public transit is an option? If you can troll your luggage a bit, you can save a lot of money by using a combo of taxi and public transit. There is a 4* Jersey City hotel on Hotwire for April 4 for $130 + tax that you can get to via a combo of subway/Path or cab/Path from JFK. It's a quick trip into Manhattan for $2.75 to spend the day. Then light rail to Bayonne is $2.10 and cab into the port is $10 + tip. Realky no need to stay at all the way out at EWR on Easter weekend.

Even if you can't get into your room early, almost all hotels will hold your luggage for you.

Yes, we are sailing on the Quantum.

I don't have a fixed budget but I am looking at around $200-250 for the top end for a hotel. But I struggle with the idea of spending that much just to get from the airport to the hotel. I would rather pay a little more for a hotel and pay less for transportation.

We could probably troll our luggage but I'm not sure I want to do it through 2 hours of packed trains and subways with transfers that might be confusing. We are not used to using public transport so the easier the better for us. Maybe Saturday and Sunday mornings won't be bad for the trains but this is my first time to New York City so I am not 100% sure what to expect. I am wondering if it might make sense to take a cab to Manhattan since it has been said that it is a flat rate and then catch a train out to Jersey City near the hotel. I would be open to that.

Any ideas for after cruise transportation? My flight doesn't leave until 4 PM so I have some time to get to JFK from the port. I read someone that posted that they had seen a shared shuttle service take 2 of the passengers to JFK but they didn't know a price. Does anyone have an idea on a price for that?

Edited by robertchris1

Yes, we are sailing on the Quantum.

I don't have a fixed budget but I am looking at around $200-250 for the top end for a hotel. But I struggle with the idea of spending that much just to get from the airport to the hotel. I would rather pay a little more for a hotel and pay less for transportation.

We could probably troll our luggage but I'm not sure I want to do it through 2 hours of packed trains and subways with transfers that might be confusing. We are not used to using public transport so the easier the better for us. Maybe Saturday and Sunday mornings won't be bad for the trains but this is my first time to New York City so I am not 100% sure what to expect. I am wondering if it might make sense to take a cab to Manhattan since it has been said that it is a flat rate and then catch a train out to Jersey City near the hotel. I would be open to that.

Any ideas for after cruise transportation? My flight doesn't leave until 4 PM so I have some time to get to JFK from the port. I read someone that posted that they had seen a shared shuttle service take 2 of the passengers to JFK but they didn't know a price. Does anyone have an idea on a price for that?

The last information I've seen listed the shared ride shuttle price from Cape Liberty to JFK as $27 per person.

If you want to visit Manhattan the day before the cruise, consider staying in Manhattan that night if you can find a hotel within your budget rather than taking a hotel room in New Jersey. You can take a taxi from JFK to Manhattan for $52.50 plus tolls (if any) and tip. Then the morning of your cruise either take a car service to Cape Liberty, or take the mass transit route...PATH, Light Rail, and a short taxi ride from the 34th St. Bayonne Light Rail station to the cruise terminal.

Edited by njhorseman

The 4* Jersey City hotel is still out there -$136 + tax and fees for a total of about $172. I think there's a good chance it's the Westin.

If you pick that hotel, we can tell you how to get there. Basically the strategy would be to take the fixed rate cab from JFK to either the midtown or downtown PATH entrance and take PATH to the station closest to the hotel, which could be Newport. Once checked in you are all set to go into Mahattan easily.

To get to the port, the light rail or a cab is an option. You are doing this on a Sat/Sun so crowded trains with luggage will NOT be an issue. I did the light rail ride in Jan. It's all above ground and is fairly interesting - about 20-25 min to Bayonne.

This thread is great. I have a concern on traveling to and from the port. Is it as hectic to get to and from?

I am arriving from Midtown Manhatten and think it should be OK to get there give I have almost all day to arrive.

My concern is departing, since we port at 7:30 and my flight is a LaGuardia at 1:30pm. Whats the best way to get there?

I booked the 4-star on Hotwire and it is the Westin Jersey City. How would you recommend I get there from JFK. I would take a taxi from JFK to which PATH station? Where would I go from there?

Still no update on shared shuttle from the cruise port to JFK after the cruise. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thank you for your help with this. Your insight is very much appreciated.

What a great deal!

The Westin is closest to the Newport PATH Station. On a weekend the easiest way would be to get dropped off at the 33rd St PATH station so you don't have to transfer. This is what Post Captain posted a while ago. The elevator entrance is on 6th Ave next to Penneys between 32nd and 33rd, so that's where a cab should drop you. You ride the train to the Newport Station. When you come out if the station on Washington Street, go left (south) and the hotel will be 2-3 blocks on the other side of the street.

"To get from Manhattan to Bayonne, I would recommend the PATH/Light Rail option over the bus.

I ride PATH and the NJ Transit Light Rail frequently. These two systems are very easy to navigate if you know your way around, but perhaps slightly confusing or intimidating for the first-timer/ out-of-towner. Nonetheless, the trip from Manhattan to Bayonne is relatively easy.

Getting into the 33rd Street PATH station with luggage can be a bit of a challenge. There are a number of entrances scattered around Herald Square; most of them involve stairs. However, there is an elevator entrance on the west side of 6th Avenue, near the intersection of West 32nd Street. The elevator is located just to the left of the entrance to JC Penney. Look for the stylized letter "P" (for PATH) on a blue background and the sign "PATH trains to New Jersey." When you exit the elevator, you will see the electronic turnstiles into the PATH station itself; there are several ticket machines near the turnstiles.

(Note: If you already have a MetroCard for travel on New York (MTA) buses and subways, you can also use that card to travel on the PATH train.)

For more information about the 33rd Street PATH station, see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/33rd_St...ATH_station%29

This video gives a nice overview of the PATH system and the PATH trains. The 33rd Street station platform is shown at the start of the video:

Somebody filmed the entire trip from Hoboken to 33rd Street Manhattan--the reverse of the trip you'll be doing. (Not the most exciting cinematography.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6q3oxrpGVk

The Light Rail platform, & Light Rail trains, at Hoboken:

Scenery along the Light Rail route... In the first minute or so of this video, a Light Rail train passes through the Paulus Hook section of Jersey City en route to Bayonne. (I shot this one myself.)

Here's the Light Rail stop at Bayonne 34th Street. From here, take a taxi to the Cape Liberty cruise terminal:

" Edited by 138east

I'd self disembark early and go to the taxi dispatcher. A picture of the rates are at the top of Meg's blog. http://mojitomegcapeliberty.blogspot.com

Otherwise book a car service from Dial7 or Carlellimo.

There is a price for a shuttle to Grand Central. Does anyone have info on this? And can you book it going, too?

We are sailing on Anthem on 11/30/15, and are considering driving up early and staying at a hotel on 11/28 and 11/29. Would like to stay at a hotel close to Cape Liberty to make the drive to the port less stressful on Monday morning.

No site-seeing planned, but would like to be close to a mall for something to do on Sunday the 29th. How inexpensively can this be done for? We obviously want a decent and safe place to stay. Two adults and one child in the same room.

We are willing to trade distance to the port for cost savings if the savings are significant.

We're inexperienced with finding and getting good deals on hotels. I can do the legwork if I know where to begin. Thank you for your help.