CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

We're going Memorial day weekend so maybe a lot of weddings where the guests stay overnight also at the Renaissance in Woodbridge? They won't lower the rate if the hotel is booked already.

I tend to dislike directions signs in NJ as a lot are very confusing. I remember trying to find my way to an offsite parking lot near EWR once & kept going around in circles.

Actually DC traffic is much worse than the NYC area due to less mass transit. Metro closes at midnight & the commuter trains are a joke compared to NY- only 6 times a day during rush hour only. I take a bus to the Metro & 2 Metros to work though- what a pain! I miss NY but come home a lot. Will be coming for Easter next weekend.

If you have any other Marriott suggestions as to where to stay I am open to it. Atlantic City is much further away than where I want to be. Want to be within one hours drive to the port.

Thanks for your help!

We're going Memorial day weekend so maybe a lot of weddings where the guests stay overnight also at the Renaissance in Woodbridge? They won't lower the rate if the hotel is booked already.

I tend to dislike directions signs in NJ as a lot are very confusing. I remember trying to find my way to an offsite parking lot near EWR once & kept going around in circles.

Actually DC traffic is much worse than the NYC area due to less mass transit. Metro closes at midnight & the commuter trains are a joke compared to NY- only 6 times a day during rush hour only. I take a bus to the Metro & 2 Metros to work though- what a pain! I miss NY but come home a lot. Will be coming for Easter next weekend.

If you have any other Marriott suggestions as to where to stay I am open to it. Atlantic City is much further away than where I want to be. Want to be within one hours drive to the port.

Thanks for your help!

Any time..

Ooo you could be on the tail end of graduation....so that may screw you up.

You COULD try the Princeton Marriott...it's probably 15-20 off the turnpike, but still within an hour of the pier.......the lounge will not be open on the weekend though.....

You could go a smidge farther north maybe and try Glenpointe though they are not always cheap......

There's a Residence Inn in Cranbury off 8 or 8 A that is still within the driving distance.....

Just a couple other ideas.....I have driven in/around DC..a lot..AND out by you (hey Marriott flavors out by IAD tend to be cheaper...hee hee) and y'all don't have rush hour..it's just ALWAYS a "rush" to sit on the beltway...

Hi, because my original post was only in the Quantum thread I post now here again:

Hello from Germany,

hopefully someone can help us:

We are sailing on the Quantum 12 - 24. April and after the cruise we have a follow on flight from JFK at 1PM. When I booked the flight I was not aware of travel distances and times.

What is the earliest possible time to leave the ship and does anybody know some transportation options to JFK.

We stayed sometimes in Florida, but we are absolutely new to this area.

thank you for your help, best regards :)

Wolfgang + Mary

Given your tight time frame on a Friday morning, you should book a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo to take you to JFK. You should also plan to self disembark with all your luggage as early as possible so you get through customs and immigration before they get busy. I'd book the car service for 7:30-8 am and be waiting for them at that time.

Search the web and you may find coupons. It's not a cheap trip - probably in the $120 range. There are options from the taxi dispatcher at the pier, but if there are any problems at all you will miss your flight.

Country Inns is at exit 13A, so you just get off there. The hotel is on the east side of the turnpike. I'm not sure of the exact signage, but you do NOT follow the signs into the airport which is on the west side of the highway.

According to the map, the exit ramps swing west, so you would be looking for signs to Jersey Gardens. If I remember correctly, as Jersey Gardens Blvd approaches the mall, the hotel cluster is on your left. There is a light at Kapkowski Road and you make a left and then the next left to get onto Glimcher Realty Way.

Thanks again! Looks straightforward.

Since it will be December when the cruise ends, I just booked a fully cancellable hotel stay (provided I remember to call) in case of nasty weather. I wouldn't want to drive ~500 miles in snowy/icy conditions.

Any time..

Ooo you could be on the tail end of graduation....so that may screw you up.

You COULD try the Princeton Marriott...it's probably 15-20 off the turnpike, but still within an hour of the pier.......the lounge will not be open on the weekend though.....

You could go a smidge farther north maybe and try Glenpointe though they are not always cheap......

There's a Residence Inn in Cranbury off 8 or 8 A that is still within the driving distance.....

Just a couple other ideas.....I have driven in/around DC..a lot..AND out by you (hey Marriott flavors out by IAD tend to be cheaper...hee hee) and y'all don't have rush hour..it's just ALWAYS a "rush" to sit on the beltway...

The RI in Cranbury is near exit 8A on the turnpike. Unfortunately, It's not one of the many hotels I stayed at in that area, but I know exactly where it is. The hotel's directions on the website from exit 8A are good even though these are the directions coming from Newark Airport (go figure!) You can get into the back of this property without getting on route 130 at all.

Hi how about the Marriott Bridgewater? According to google maps its one hour to the port & off main roads so driving there looks easy. Got good reviews on TA. Has a good AAA rate. Then you can drive I287 to the port instead of going on the Tpke. Less traffic that way on a Sunday am I am thinking? Can anyone comment on this?

BTW as Marriott platinum members we get a free continental breakfast even on weekends if the concierge lounge is closed. We usually upgrade to a full breakfast & they usually don't charge for the upgrade but we always leave a good tip unless the service is bad- rarely find bad service however. We usually get an upgraded room- we prefer full service Marriott over any of the other Marriott's as platinum members usually are treated very well unless the hotel is very crowded.

Bridgewater is really a bit out of the way since the OP is coming from the south.

There is no problem with the turnpike on a Sunday morning - have driven it many times on the way back to Mass leaving from the Cranbury area. Hightstown(exit 8) was 45-50 minutes to Cape Liberty, so Cranbury should be 40-45 minutes. This area is a surprisingly rural area with gated retirement communities and large nice looking warehouses. Much more comfortable driving for folks not used to urban metro areas like Newark Airport.

well being a native New Yorker from the burbs I am used to driving in large cities- I just don't like it as much. I hate to be too far from a port as you never know. I don't mind being an hour drive away.

We once flew to FL for a cruise 2 days early & there was a major east coast storm which delayed so many people. We swore after that we would always be within an hour of the port- less stressful. Thankfully since we came in early we were right there. the ship was less crowded since many people missed the ship- better for us!

I can see what the rates are in that RI. I may go past it next weekend on my way to NY from DC.

Thanks for the help.

What airport?

You're staying in NY and sailing from NJ. You'll want to contact a car service ...it is expensive since you're going from 1 state to another and a taxi will be over $100 US...Car service should be less....

try http://www.dial7.com or http://www.carmellimo.com Those should be less, and will likely add on a gratuity...but they will advise you. If they do add it, you're not expected to tip more ...if not, maybe 10-20 US$ is good, depending on how much stuff you have.

Allow an hour to get to the pier in NJ.

You can actually use the same car services to get to the hotel....

Hi Meg. As of this moment, Carmel charges $47 one-way for 2 people in a full size sedan from Midtown West (57th & Broadway) to Cape Liberty. A luxury sedan is $52 one way. ;)

OK...so hopefully you will not have a lot of luggage. I suggest doing self assist departure, and then walking to the taxi/transportation dispatch area (you will see a booth just across from the terminal...) and get onto a shared van to JFK. Allow 90 minutes to get there....you are cutting it a little close.

Otherwise, the shared shuttle from the pier is $27 USD per person, plus gratuity ($5-10 USD is fine total, depending on how many bags you have....)

Given your tight time frame on a Friday morning, you should book a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo to take you to JFK. You should also plan to self disembark with all your luggage as early as possible so you get through customs and immigration before they get busy. I'd book the car service for 7:30-8 am and be waiting for them at that time.

Search the web and you may find coupons. It's not a cheap trip - probably in the $120 range. There are options from the taxi dispatcher at the pier, but if there are any problems at all you will miss your flight.

thank you very much for your replies :)

we will travel with only one normal piece of luggage and one handbag.

Changing our booking with Jetblue to a later flight is nearly the same price as booking a new one-way flight to LAX. Therefore we will try to be off the ship as early as possible and to catch our booked flight. If we are late, we have to book the next flight ...

best regards from Germany

Wolfgang

Hi how about the Marriott Bridgewater? According to google maps its one hour to the port & off main roads so driving there looks easy. Got good reviews on TA. Has a good AAA rate. Then you can drive I287 to the port instead of going on the Tpke. Less traffic that way on a Sunday am I am thinking? Can anyone comment on this?

BTW as Marriott platinum members we get a free continental breakfast even on weekends if the concierge lounge is closed. We usually upgrade to a full breakfast & they usually don't charge for the upgrade but we always leave a good tip unless the service is bad- rarely find bad service however. We usually get an upgraded room- we prefer full service Marriott over any of the other Marriott's as platinum members usually are treated very well unless the hotel is very crowded.

It is WONDERFUL...one of my faves...and I actually thought that if you took bonus points, you didn't get breakfast...so if you do, that's cool and thanks...I am a bit of a points lover.

Their restaurant is awesome.....GREAT burgers!

Out of the way, yes. Worth it? Yes. There are several other dinner options as the hotel is opposite a nice mall, and there is another smaller shopping plaza there as well...you CAN walk across the street..

There is a Wegmans about 3-5 miles away...and a lot of other things too...again, out of the way for you.....BUT worth it. Heck I probably wrote one of the TA reviews...have not stayed there recently, but it's very nice....if you go you'll get put up on the Concierge level....they also have corner rooms that are nicely sized, BUT I was in one, and it was really noisy...mechanical!

That property will always be a favorite of mine-they took excellent care of me at times when I needed peace, quiet, rest and a great burger and beer!

Edited by megr1125

Hi Meg. As of this moment, Carmel charges $47 one-way for 2 people in a full size sedan from Midtown West (57th & Broadway) to Cape Liberty. A luxury sedan is $52 one way. ;)

The question pertained to JFK and when I priced it out, it's NOT that inexpensive....but thanks... 2 from JFK to Cape Liberty was over $100 without tips/tolls

Have you looked into using Uber? Not sure what they charge. Worth looking into.

Not sure I would do Uber up here...NJ has crazy licensing requirements, and not sure you'd get a decent deal from NYC.....

Edited by megr1125

The RI in Cranbury is near exit 8A on the turnpike. Unfortunately, It's not one of the many hotels I stayed at in that area, but I know exactly where it is. The hotel's directions on the website from exit 8A are good even though these are the directions coming from Newark Airport (go figure!) You can get into the back of this property without getting on route 130 at all.

You'd think that living so close to 7A, 8 and 8A I would know this...but well, I am too cheap to use the turnpike if I am just going up 130!!:D

Have you looked into using Uber? Not sure what they charge. Worth looking into.

You do not want to use Uber in NJ, unless you don't care whether your driver is properly licensed and insured and don't mind being left hanging out to dry if you're unlucky enough to be injured in an accident while an Uber passenger.

It is OK to use them in NY City, as the NY Taxi and Limousine Commission has requires Uber cars and drivers to be properly licensed and insured.

You do not want to use Uber in NJ, unless you don't care whether your driver is properly licensed and insured and don't mind being left hanging out to dry if you're unlucky enough to be injured in an accident while an Uber passenger.

It is OK to use them in NY City, as the NY Taxi and Limousine Commission has requires Uber cars and drivers to be properly licensed and insured.

Good info....I figured NJ would be an issue, but was not aware that they're (hopefully) properly registered, etc in NYC...though still not a fan of Uber...

The question pertained to JFK and when I priced it out, it's NOT that inexpensive....but thanks... 2 from JFK to Cape Liberty was over $100 without tips/tolls

Not sure I would do Uber up here...NJ has crazy licensing requirements, and not sure you'd get a decent deal from NYC.....

Oh, ok. Thought someone asked about car service from Manhattan. Thanks for the Uber NJ info, wondered about that.

Hi there,

We are arriving on the Anthem on Nov 3rd, we are planning on spending 3 nights in NYC Midtown for sightseeing and shopping.

Any hotel recommendations for us budget is $600 total.

We then fly out of JFK on Sat evening.

Would we be better staying outside the Manhattan area and using public transport to get in.

Thanks in advance

Hi there,

We are arriving on the Anthem on Nov 3rd, we are planning on spending 3 nights in NYC Midtown for sightseeing and shopping.

Any hotel recommendations for us budget is $600 total.

We then fly out of JFK on Sat evening.

Would we be better staying outside the Manhattan area and using public transport to get in.

Thanks in advance

$600 is a tight budget to stay in Manhattan on weekday nights. Could you answer some questions so we can provide better advice?

1) it looks like you're arriving Nov 4 and flying out Nov 7? Sightseeing plans in NYC?

2) Can you manage your luggage so that public transit options are available to you?

3) are you 2 people with no special bed configuration requirements?

4). Budget is $200/night tax included?

5) What time is your flight from JFK?

You have to look at the total cost of hotel, transportation options from Cape Liberty to your hotel, transportation in and out and around NYC, and transportation to JFK airport. If you have to pay for a lot of car services or taxis, the costs will mount up quickly. I have some ideas for you, but I need more details to offer the best suggestions. Right now I'm thinking Candlewood Suites in Jersey City because of it's price, location, and public transit options to both midtown and downtown NYC on PATH.

For your dates Candlewood Suites in Jersey City is $630 tax included cancellable and $591 prepaid non cancellable. Candlewood suites offers free internet and a full kitchen.

When you disembark you can take a shuttle to the NJTransit Hudson Bergen light rail for $10-12 and the light rail directly to Candlewood Suites for $2.10/pp. This is accessible surface transportation.

From Candlewood Suites one PATH station is 4 blocks away at Exchange Place and the other is 8 blocks away at Newport. For $2.75 you can go to either downtown or midtown NY.

To get to JFK you can take your luggage on the light rail (one stop) and PATH to downtown Manhattan(World Trade)(one stop). From here you have the options of taking a fixed rate cab to JFK for about $70 or taking the A subway train (Airtrain) to JFK for about $7.75/pp. It's about a 5 block walk through underground concourses to the A train.

For the NYC area this is a very economical and very convenient overall plan. Travel time to downtown NY is very quick. From downtown you can easily get a subway to anywhere in uptown Manhattan.

Thanks for suggestions already.

At Xmas we stayed in NYC on the 20th of Dec and again on the 28th of Dec in The Court by St Giles on E39th St. The two nights cost us $320 dollars for both nights total. We did a cruise on the Breakaway from Manhattan Port.

We did most of the sights last time around but would like to be centrally located. E39th St was a perfect location for everything on foot but Lower Manhattan where we got the subway.

Would be looking for a Double room. No issues with luggage, both in our mid thirties so well able to manage the bags.

Budget could stretch to $700 dollars(this exclude the trips to and from the cruise port and airport)

Flight out of JFK is not til 6pm

You got really good rates last time because you stayed weekend nights during Christmas when business travel is nonexistent. This time you're looking for a Wed, Thur, Fri at the end of high season when rates are significantly higher.

The most interesting thing that popped up for your dates is The Paul at 29th & Broadway - about $200/night so about $700 with tax.

Note: This hotel would be an easy trip from Cape Liberty by public transit - light rail to Hoboken and PATH to 32nd/33rd & 6th which is only 3-4 blocks from this hotel.