Crew interactions after auto tipping started

The-Inside-Cabin

Maybe one tells the others they remember people from other cruises and recalls they 'tipped'? Who knows? Maybe.....
I've often wondered if they have a "data base" on us ... and I don't mean the official one that HAL keeps. :D

Edited by jtl513

When I tip extra, I always mention that I am leaving auto tips ON and this is for above and beyond. I don't know if that is necessary or helps. I may start adding a short note so they don't think I am going to stiff the HSC.

We do the same with telling them that we did leave the auto tips on as we hand out any extra tips we might leave on the last night.

We give the extra tips :

--If our cabin steward has done anything above and beyond the normal

--If the MDR staff has made dinners especially enjoyable (we do fixed seating)

--Beverage staff if they are especially attentive (we normally go to the same couple of bars/lounges every time)

--Random other staff that might have gone out of their way to make us feel comfortable and at home.

On our CCL trip to Belieze/Roatan DH contracted a horrible upper respiratory infection while on the ship. Yes, we went to the infirmary and got him meds but he felt miserable. Our cabin steward was fabulously helpful and even took me aside to say that if I wanted to go on the excursions we'd booked he'd be sure to check in on DH. Needless to say, we were especially generous in our "green thanks" to him and felt it was worth EVERY bit of it :)

Hi everybody.

We are from the UK and i got taken to task by you all on the HAL site for talking about Tips on HAL.

I was told in no uncertain terms that it was a Service Charge, not tips.

Am confused now....😄 there again doesn't take much.

Sorry, some people on here can be very abrupt and can come across as quite rude.

Back in the old day where was no "hotel service charge" on cruises. On the last night of a cruise, passengers were given envelopes and strongly encouraged to put money in those envelopes for the staff. Specific amounts were "suggested."

More recently, most mass-market cruise lines went to a system where they charged that "suggested" amount to you automatically. I think, because of the similarity to the former suggested amounts and the current amounts, many people continue to call it a "tip" or "auto-tip." Me? I just call it a surcharge or a "hotel service charge." It's just part of the cruise cost, like the port charges. Not included in the advertised price, but it's part of the overall cost.

Some of us choose to give extra cash, above and beyond the "hotel service charge," to the crew members who made our cruises extra special.

Hope this helps!

When we first started to cruise with HAL, tipping wasn't required. But we still tipped.

I can't remember when it was changed and tipping was suggested.

I do remember quite a few incidents watching people run out of the dining room while the staff collected on the stairs to sing their farewell song. One time it was really bad in our section. When our waiter and his assistance came back to our section, we were the only ones left. They came back with big smiles on their faces which quickly disappeared. Out of about 20 people they only got tips from us.

I can understand why the Hotel Service charge came into place.

We keep the Hotel Service Charge in place so that the extra tips we give to those whom we feel have made our cruise an enjoyable one, can be kept by those individuals.

Holland America calls the HSC a tip/gratuity but they are clearly working to change the wording that this is a tip...

One of the benefits of certain world cruise cabin categories used to be pre/paid gratuities...now it is pre/paid HSC

Wonder if envelopes will make a comeback and people will be enjoined the night before to tip "old school" in addition to the HSC

From their FAQ

"Is There A Hotel Service Charge (Gratuity/Tip)?

Our crew works very hard to make sure that every aspect of your cruise meets the highest standards. This includes those crew members who serve you directly, such as Dining Room wait staff and the stewards who service your stateroom each day. There are also many others who support their efforts whom you may never meet, such as galley and laundry staff. To ensure that the efforts of all of our crew members are recognized and rewarded, a daily Hotel Service Charge is automatically added to each guest’s shipboard account.

The daily Hotel Service Charge for suites is US$12.00 per guest per day, and US$11.50 per guest per day for other staterooms. (The charges are subject to change without notice)

If our service exceeds or fails to meet your expectations, you are free to adjust this amount at the end of each segment and/or voyage. The Hotel Service Charge is paid to Holland America Line crew members, and represents an important part of their compensation. A 15% Bar Service Charge is automatically added to bar charges and Dining Room wine purchases. In terminals, airports, ports of call and on shore excursions, we suggest that you extend gratuities consistent with customary local practices. "

Hi cave cheers for that.

On our first cruise with HAL we took the Automatic "Tips" off and gave what we thought was the norm.

Of course UK norm is much different to your USA norm.

For example a cruise to the Carribean two weeks ago on a UK line we paid £4 each per night automatically.

On another discussion about 6 months ago on here I was lectured that HAL $12 wasn't tips but Service Charge.

Fine ....when in Rome ..... And I will leave the $12 next time on HAL.

I suggest many UK cruisers are put off the USA lines because of the perceived high automatic tips or service charge.

Even on this discussion people are still talking about Automtaic Tips .

Anyway happy cruising on what ever line.

We tipped before the auto-tip, and we tip extra now.

I always write a little note to our stewards, thanking them for making our cruise so wonderful.

We tip the server in the piano bar, and we tip the piano player on the last night.

In the last I've given him an iTunes gift card.

On our recent cruise, we chose open seating. My daughter, who always cruised with fixed seating in the MDR, felt she should tip the main server each night. The servers seemed very surprised to get a $5 bill after dinner.

We tipped in both Pinnacle and Tamarind, and servers seemed appreciative, but not surprised.

In the past, our servers always chatted with us in the MDR. We have photos of us with them on the last night.

But on our cruises the last few years, we have not established that kind of camaraderie with the wait staff. They seem too rushed.

Edited by Oceanwench

This is because if you remove auto tips they have to put any cash you give into the pool and then they will see 30 pct or so of what you gave .

I read that quite often. It makes NO sense. I have a hard time believing it.

It's true and I know for absolute certain, having seen it with my own eyes, that at least the cabin stewards are given a list of who has removed/reduced the HSC. There was a short three or four sentence reminder, in more than one language, that reminded them that any out-of-hand tips from the passengers/cabins on the list must be turned in.

Here is the logic as I see it. They want to actively discourage people from removing auto HSC. If you learn that your efforts to tip after removing the auto HSC are futile, since it goes into the pool anyway, they hope you are more likely to leave it alone.

Edited by Pete and Judy

When we first started to cruise with HAL, tipping wasn't required. But we still tipped.

I can't remember when it was changed and tipping was suggested.

I do remember quite a few incidents watching people run out of the dining room while the staff collected on the stairs to sing their farewell song. One time it was really bad in our section. When our waiter and his assistance came back to our section, we were the only ones left. They came back with big smiles on their faces which quickly disappeared. Out of about 20 people they only got tips from us.

I can understand why the Hotel Service charge came into place.

We keep the Hotel Service Charge in place so that the extra tips we give to those whom we feel have made our cruise an enjoyable one, can be kept by those individuals.

Ditto.

We used to call the last night of HAL cruises 'musical bars'. People who had gone to one bar the whole cruise suddenly felt the urge to go to another one on last night. That urge, of course, was to not face the crew there who they were stiffing. We always went to Ocean Bar and last night of most cruises, we didn't recognize but a few faces of those who came with envelopes to thank the crew. :rolleyes:

What you remember about the MDR last night is exactly what I remember. How many people wouldn't even come to dinner and if they did, they ran out before the stewards returned to their stations. :rolleyes: :eek: I was awful!!!!!!

It's true and I know for absolute certain, having seen it with my own eyes, that at least the cabin stewards are given a list of who has removed/reduced the HSC. There was a short three or four sentence reminder, in more than one language, that reminded them that any out-of-hand tips from the passengers/cabins on the list must be turned in.

Yes, it is true..... not that you need me to confirm it.

Do you know when this list comes out? Daily or at the end of cruise? Other threads in other forums expressed concern that removing auto tips might cause a drop in service. There was a picture of a email like this I think on the carnival forum

Do you know when this list comes out? Daily or at the end of cruise? Other threads in other forums expressed concern that removing auto tips might cause a drop in service. There was a picture of a email like this I think on the carnival forum

The one and only list I saw was in the afternoon of the last full day. I can't speak to if they had a list before then.

Edited by Randyk47

In all honesty, I have not noticed a difference in service in connection with the switch to the "auto-tip." I have noticed the crew seem to work harder because there are fewer of them but I have not noticed a difference in interactions with passengers.

In all honesty, I have not noticed a difference in service in connection with the switch to the "auto-tip." I have noticed the crew seem to work harder because there are fewer of them but I have not noticed a difference in interactions with passengers.

I can't say one way or the other. About the same time they came out with the HSC they also started cutting back on the staff. Initially we didn't notice it much in the dining room but did in the Crow's Nest. Eventually it caught up with the dining room and our service on our last two HAL cruises ranged from begging for service on the Veendam to good on the Maasdam. No comparison to the old days before the HSC on ships like the Ryndam and Volendam.

Here is the logic as I see it. They want to actively discourage people from removing auto HSC. If you learn that your efforts to tip after removing the auto HSC are futile, since it goes into the pool anyway, they hope you are more likely to leave it alone.

I follow the logic. However let's say an attendant has, for discussion sake, 10 rooms. 5 of those rooms remove the auto HSC and tip nothing. The other 5 rooms leave on auto HSC and also tip additionally.

So if an attendant can keep cash over the HSC how would this situation be treated? Would HAL force them to pool the cash to cover the "other" 5 who removed HSC and gave nothing? Who is even checking this money? With the apparent shortage of crew these days I have a hard time believing someone else has time to check this money.

Furthermore, we have tipped in addition to auto tips along the way, a few dollars here and there every few days for good service. I don't for a second think crew turn that in each day only to get it back later...maybe...if at all.

Do I believe crew know who is auto tip or not? That's reasonable to believe. But I don't believe they turn in every tip every day to have it micromanaged. If my additional cash tips above auto charges goes to a pool and not the recipient I hand it to that only discourages me from that practice as its not doing anything to recognize a job well done. When I hand someone cash it's for them, not a pool

In short, once cash changes hands there's no way for anyone but that attendant to know if it is for them or the pool. They COULD get all cash from the 5 that removed auto grats and say it was additional from those that had paid auto grats.

Edited by LMaxwell

Removing the HSC shouldn't show any noticeable decline in service for anyone who has removed the auto-tip. If they had removed it their service should have already been so terrible it couldn't get any worse. If it wasn't that bad they were just cheapskates. :eek:

I must disagree with you. Your logic is a fallacy. HAL gives it's clientele options. It's rather rude to state anyone using an option than what you use is a cheapskate.

I also strongly believe the reason for reduced service levels fleetwide is because of auto tips.

I would agree it is easiest to leave the auto tips in place for all involved, and that they should be adjusted as recourse for poor service, but that is an opinion. At the end of the day it is still an option and we shouldn't be so judgmental of others

On our Alaska cruise last summer the waiter and dining room manager were super friendly, told jokes, even did some math tricks with toothpicks. We loved it. It helped that there weren't many people in the dining room. Especially on International night.

I follow the logic. However let's say an attendant has, for discussion sake, 10 rooms. 5 of those rooms remove the auto HSC and tip nothing. The other 5 rooms leave on auto HSC and also tip additionally.

So if an attendant can keep cash over the HSC how would this situation be treated? Would HAL force them to pool the cash to cover the "other" 5 who removed HSC and gave nothing? Who is even checking this money? With the apparent shortage of crew these days I have a hard time believing someone else has time to check this money.

Furthermore, we have tipped in addition to auto tips along the way, a few dollars here and there every few days for good service. I don't for a second think crew turn that in each day only to get it back later...maybe...if at all.

Do I believe crew know who is auto tip or not? That's reasonable to believe. But I don't believe they turn in every tip every day to have it micromanaged. If my additional cash tips above auto charges goes to a pool and not the recipient I hand it to that only discourages me from that practice as its not doing anything to recognize a job well done. When I hand someone cash it's for them, not a pool

In short, once cash changes hands there's no way for anyone but that attendant to know if it is for them or the pool. They COULD get all cash from the 5 that removed auto grats and say it was additional from those that had paid auto grats.

My assumption is that the money from the 5 over tippers can be kept by the crew-member and doesn't go into the pool.

How do they enforce it? Don't know....here are some possibilities. They ask all crew members who had auto tips removed point blank if they got any cash tips from the removers and maybe sign something to that effect....most people really hate lying and won't especially when asked...

Occasionally work a sting operation.....pull auto tips and give cash....see what happens....if you catch one guy cheating and fire him....probably don't need to repeat very often.....

Probably other ways....

My sense is all crew members are extraordinarily honest and follow the rules on the honor system. All though it has probably happened, and someone will probably give me 30 links, I have never heard of a cabin steward ever being accused of stealing anything from passengers....not that anyone here has inferred that, but I make that comment to vouch for their overall trustworthiness ..

Edited by Pete and Judy