Smart Casual dinners

yanka

We are taking our first cruise on March 7th and have a quick question.

HAL website says that their dress code for dinners is Smart Casual.

Could someone explain what that is exactly on a cruise ship and does everyone follow it?

Also what is the average age for cruisers for HAL? We are in our early 20's and it seems like we will be the kids on the block.

Could someone explain what that is exactly on a cruise ship and does everyone follow it?

Also what is the average age for cruisers for HAL? We are in our early 20's and it seems like we will be the kids on the block.

Go to the search this thread box type in average age for Hal. You will find a lot of good reply's. No you are not to young in my opinion tho, enjoy your cruise.:)

You may be kids on the block for your cruise. I suspect the majority will be in their fifties and sixties. Some, of course will be older and some younger. However, much depends on where you're cruising and the length of your cruise. The longer the cruise, the older the pax. If you're cruising over a school holiday (which may be possible in early March), you will see many families which will reduce the average age. It may also depend on how crummy a winter people are having at home, and their need to escape!!!!

But don't worry, you'll be joining some well travelled people who have great stories about their experiences.

Alberta Quilter,... just returned from our 18 day Hawaii cruise on the HAL Veendam, we found smart casual dress nights to be casual, but nice, slacks, skirts, and tops to be good. No shorts in the restaurants, Formal nights, mainly consisted of suits or sport coats for men dress shirts, tie, very few tuxes, I may have seen 2 at the 3 functions.You do not have to attend the formal dinners, just go to the Lido deck for buffet dinner, food is very good! Hamburgers and fries poolside are also good. Take preventative meds along for cold signs, cough drops, just in case. we did and do not regret taking those items. It's like buying AAA insurance, you hope you never have to use it! Have a great time! Rich/Urs

Honestly, you will be way younger than most on HAL.

For Smart Casual just make sure your DH wears long pants and a shirt with a collar.

HAL offers an excellent cruise experience ... especially on port intensive cruises when you need to be "early to bed and early to rise". ;)

LuLu

You can basically wear anything you want that looks nice & presentable, except not shorts, t-shirts or ripped/tatty looking jeans.

There are lots of ladies that go into dinner in smart jeans, with heels, and pretty tops, and look very good.

Edited by debsjc
typo

I'm on your Westerdam cruise ( saw you on the roll call ) and while you may be chronologically younger there will be some who may give you a run for your money.

Not saying names but she is from Indianapolis:)

Is there a reaso why the polo shirts should be 'brand name'?

I think the poster was indicating that POLO is the original brand, which has now become the usual name for any collared shirt that is not a sport shirt. You do not need a "name" brand, just a neat, clean casual collared shirt.

I'm 24 and took my first HAL cruise last month in the Caribbean on the Nieuw Amsterdam. I went with my fiance's parents and his siblings/their partners, so most of our group fell into in the 19-29 age range. It definitely seemed like most of the passengers were older, but that doesn't mean that you won't have fun.

We enjoyed the dance classes, trivia games, and spending a lot of time in the pool/hot tubs. If you're 21+ there are also many happy hours and we even did a pub crawl that took us around the ship to the different bars that ended with dancing at the nightclub.

For us, smart casual generally resulted in khakis and a button up for the guys, and a cute dress for the girls, but I didn't really pay much attention to the other passengers. Don't try wearing shorts if you're a guy! One of the couples in our group came wearing shorts for dinner and the guy was asked to go back to change but they said the girl was fine. I guess heels really make a difference??

I wondered the same thing! Polo shirts are usually cotton, colored and with a collar..........sometimes the little logo on the pocket, but wouldn't be necessary I would think!

I've been a big fan of L.L. Bean polo shirts for a long time. (It's a legal requirement if you live in Maine.) They've got no external, giant, horsey logo. However, if you lean in real close, you'll see the company name on the buttons.

I'm pretty sure that no one is checking your brands at the door. :)

I may get beat up for this, but in my opinion... its your vacation... wear what you want. I saw people dressed all different ways when I did a med cruise. When i first starting cruising, I did all the formal stuff, and bought whole new wardrobes.. Now, I would rather spend my money on another vacation than a cruise wardrobe. You can pretty much wear anything you want to the dining room other than very casual shorts or jeans...And yes, you will be the youngsters. but you will be in good company and appreciated for your youth!!!

Your shirts do NOT need to be "name brand"! Neither do ANY of your clothes!

I think the person who mentioned "name brand" simply meant the "Polo" is a name brand of clothing, and that most people refer to that style of shirt as a "polo" shirt, even if it is not that name brand.

I wondered the same thing! Polo shirts are usually cotton, colored and with a collar..........sometimes the little logo on the pocket, but wouldn't be necessary I would think!

I don't know that I've ever seen a Polo, fake Polo, Walmart special polo, etc with a pocket?

Aren't we talking about those shirts that I flipped the collar up on in college?

Oh wait.. Some golfer people do make a style that has a pocket for tees?

I am very relieved that they do not have to be brand name. Takes away the worry.

I like to pack my Marks&Spencer shirts because they travel well. But alas, they are not brand name. Neither are my slacks, I don't think. My socks are just regular gold toe socks with no logo. Got a heck of a deal on them at the Ross Atore in FLL opposite the Embassy Suites!

....... You can pretty much wear anything you want to the dining room other than very casual shorts or jeans...And yes, you will be the youngsters. but you will be in good company and appreciated for your youth!!!

Jeans that are not tattered are permitted in the Main Dining Room on all nights except Formal Nights.

Collared golf shirts with and without pockets seem to be very popular on all of my cruises. In the Caribbean I have seen some fluorescent yellow and orange golf shirts that caused my polarizing glasses to darken.

For Alaskan cruises, there will be a smattering of long-sleeved flannel shirts on casual nights. On some cruises, I have noted kilts being worn on both Formal and Casual nights.

The bottom line is to dress to impress yourself/spouse and be comfortable because you will probably never see any of your fellow passengers again. Those passengers with whom you choose to stay in touch could care less what you wear.

Take full advantage of the ship's laundry and just pack enough clothing for three days.

Hi Yanka, My wife and I went on our first cruise (Alaska) a few years back and though we were the young kids on the block (at mid 30's) we found that everyone treated us no differently. We found so many very stimulating conversations (at dinner and just around the ship) it was great.

As for smart casual, we say the same thing everyone else has said. Nice slacks (I wore kahaki's for the most part) and golf shirts. On formal evening it was a smattering of everything from tux's to turtlenecks with a jacket for the men and the women wore everything from the very elegant to the run of the mill in dresses.

Long story short (too late), just look at it as any other vacation with an opportunity to dress up a bit. Just relax and enjoy your trip and you will have a great time!