HP Sauce

Gypsy-Bear

Like mayo and Miracle Whip are similar.

I'll grant you "similar" but definitely not interchangeable. My wife's sisters use Miracle Whip. We don't want it in the house. We vastly prefer Best Foods Mayonnaise. :) People are all so different.

When I said like mayo and Miracle Whip are similar, I meant NOT. They come in jars, they're white spreadable stuff HP (House of Parliament) sauce and steak sauces look similar but they're NOT.

Publix has a Brit food section, even mushy peas and Spotted Dick.

To go with A traditional British Ploughman's Lunch you have to have Branston Pickle.

A proper Ploughman's should be just crusty bread, generous butter, a hefty slice of very mature cheddar and a good dollop of Branston pickle.

No salad or pate or fancy stuff. Not really like any cruise line does it, even Cunard. And hard to find even in a UK pub these days.

HP sauce is good with bacon sandwiches, with proper British lean back bacon, Not the almost all fat US version which is really a different product altogether, though valid in its own right.

Princess have the Canadian made HP usually, the UK stocked one is made in Netherlands. I cannot tell the difference.

Its way cheaper and a bigger bottle in UK. I bring 6 back every time I come over, get it in Poundland. Yes, for £1. Its 425gram, just about 15 ounces bottle.

Edited by Griller

To go with A traditional British Ploughman's Lunch you have to have Branston Pickle.

A proper Ploughman's should be just crusty bread, generous butter, a hefty slice of very mature cheddar and a good dollop of Branston pickle.

No salad or pate or fancy stuff. Not really like any cruise line does it, even Cunard. And hard to find even in a UK pub these days.

HP sauce is good with bacon sandwiches, with proper British lean back bacon, Not the almost all fat US version which is really a different product altogether, though valid in its own right.

Princess have the Canadian made HP usually, the UK stocked one is made in Netherlands. I cannot tell the difference.

Its way cheaper and a bigger bottle in UK. I bring 6 back every time I come over, get it in Poundland. Yes, for £1. Its 425gram, just about 15 ounces bottle.

What - no pickled onions 😱

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

When I said like mayo and Miracle Whip are similar, I meant NOT. They come in jars, they're white spreadable stuff HP (House of Parliament) sauce and steak sauces look similar but they're NOT.

Publix has a Brit food section, even mushy peas and Spotted Dick.

My daughter's local Tesco in the UK has a large American food section - now there are some really strange sounding things there 😱

Salad cream is nectar of the gods but probably another British acquired taste - mayo is tasteless in comparison 😄

I'm learning lots of things on this post - wish I'd known about some of them before we went on our GB cruise last year.

Had to look up salad cream and it looks like Heinz makes it - guess I'll check at World Market for that too.

I'm learning lots of things on this post - wish I'd known about some of them before we went on our GB cruise last year.

Had to look up salad cream and it looks like Heinz makes it - guess I'll check at World Market for that too.

I think that salad cream in the UK is very similar to Cole Slaw dressing.

Salad cream is nectar of the gods but probably another British acquired taste - mayo is tasteless in comparison 😄

Yes, mayo is horribly tasteless - that's why I prefer "Miracle Whip" (not sure if this is just a Canadian thing?). I think it might be closer to Salad Cream in UK...

Mayo is just blah!:p

My old grocery store has some of the UK's favourites...Mushy Peas, Plum Pudding, & of course Spotted D**k .

I have been using HP sauce for forty years and observing the label with Big Ben clock tower on it. It has only just dawned on me that it is Houses of Parliament sauce - hence HP.

Spotted D**k is an amusing name for something we eat as a pudding. In the British Royal Navy the term D**k is applied to any type of substantial pudding.

Toad in the hole is another strange name for a main course. It is just a pork sausage in a batter pudding. If it were offered we would simply ask for "the toad".

Bread and Butter pudding is a dish that has become changed to a politically correct serving appearance. It used to be served looking really bad, unappealing but tasting lovely now it has to look lovely too.

Anyone for Eton Mess?

Lol John

I have been using HP sauce for forty years and observing the label with Big Ben clock tower on it. It has only just dawned on me that it is Houses of Parliament sauce - hence HP.

Spotted D**k is an amusing name for something we eat as a pudding. In the British Royal Navy the term D**k is applied to any type of substantial pudding.

Toad in the hole is another strange name for a main course. It is just a pork sausage in a batter pudding. If it were offered we would simply ask for "the toad".

Bread and Butter pudding is a dish that has become changed to a politically correct serving appearance. It used to be served looking really bad, unappealing but tasting lovely now it has to look lovely too.

Anyone for Eton Mess?

Lol John

Love all of these. Fancy you not realising about the Houses of Parliament 😄

Edited by Dorset Cruiser

Produced by Heintz in the Netherlands.

I was a devote of HP, and also OK Fruity... till the Heinz folks watered it down. And now its like all the other imported imitation muck from abroad.

Fear not however, there is a old line traditional sauce, still made by and in the UK that is the old tangy , thick stuff that makes you weep.......

Daddies Sauce...( you know with the tag line "my favorite" I have 3 or 4 bottles in the pantry as we speak along with some" Branston Pickle".......( rumored that Christ served at the Last Supper)

You can buy it here in the states !!!

HP/ A-1 all now mediocre .... would not touch it anymore My suggestion is bring your own...