Coral Princess Renovations?

Cruzin-K

It is ridiculously speculative to speak of Coral Princess receiving the same refit as Island, especially as Island's refit has not even taken place yet, much less had enough time for Princess to decide if the changes prove profitable enough to attempt on another ship.

Coral Princess had a refit which added the International Cafe just a couple years ago. I very much doubt Princess would spend the money anytime soon to undo that recent change, considering that no decision has been made whether to redeploy Coral to Europe or eslewhere as they have for Island. The situation is with the Island/Coral twins is similar to the Diamond/Sapphire: Sapphire had just received the same retrofit as the other Grand-class ships when the decision was made to redeploy Diamond and Sapphire to Asia and Australia year-round. So renovations of Diamond were postponed until plans could be drawn up to "Asia-fy" her. Thus Diamond and Sapphire are no longer identical twins, and it is safe to say the same will be true of Coral and Island for quite some time after Island's refit.

Remember that all ships go in for routine drydock every 2 to 2.5 years, so the truth is one is likely scheduled soon for Coral. But don't confuse this with any alleged possible major renovations.

The Coral had a major renovation/update two years ago (Jan-Feb. 2013) so nothing is scheduled for at least a year. It'll be just a routine maintenance dry dock, kind of like taking your car in for an oil change and tune-up.

Edited by Pam in CA

Glad to hear this. I didn't know when her last dry dock was. I'm planning to sail on her in early 2017 to the Panama Canal (just waiting for itineraries to be released) and am keeping my fingers crossed that nothing too drastic is done to her in the meantime. I've never sailed on either the Coral or the Island, but I know what people on here like about those ships, and it would be a shame to miss out on those aft viewing decks, and wonderful promenade deck (and a gym with windows :rolleyes: ).

Royal Caribbean is really screwing up their ships with renovations and I was hoping the same wasn't going to happen w my other favorite line, Princess :o

Coral has already had her refit.

Indeed some, but by no means all, of the changes being made to Island are simply replicating changes made to Coral at her refit.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. My experience of Island, pre-refit, is that:

a) it has masses of public space / pax compared the larger ships and so the additional pax are hardly likely to be noticed.

b) Explorers is a very under used venue and will hardly be missed, (Indeed I think the only time I have been there has been for the security briefing and when it was used as an Elite/Suite/Platinum disembarkation lounge)

We are on Island next Christmas and we are not at all concerned.

Ok, the promenade walk around will require one to cross at the most aft set of doors, but is this a big issue? I think not.

I do not perceive there to be a real loss of amenities and the only issue is whether or not the additional pax will make the ship feel crowded. However, based on my experience of our previous cruise on Island, I suspect not and I am not really worried that some of the public space is being lost.

Will I miss Explorers? No not at all.

I have, however, avoided getting into the scare mongering on the Island refit thread as I am sure that I will be shot down by those who love to make an issue of these things. In truth, I think it will all turn out to be a big non-event and, whilst there will no doubt be those who will say it is not as good as it used to be, I am sure that it will still be one of the two best ships in the fleet - and yes, we have also cruised on one the small ships and chose the refitted Island for next year in preference to the small ships.

We are not at all concerned about what she is going to be like post refit. She is a beautiful ship now and will still be a beautiful ship post refit.

Apart from the view from walk around on the aft Promenade deck, and the small pool area on Deck A, the aft views you refer to in your previous post were the preserve of the sanctuary and those who spend all day in the gym.

However, don't worry at all, none of this is relevant to your cruise on Coral.

Coral has already had her refit, and Island is not going to be the disaster that some imagine. It is just this year's easy target for the moaners.

Edited by Corfe Mixture

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. My experience of Island, pre-refit, is that:

b) Explorers is a very under used venue and will hardly be missed, (Indeed I think the only time I have been there has been for the security briefing and when it was used as an Elite/Suite/Platinum disembarkation lounge)

The main reason Explorers will hardly be missed is that it is not going away.

If you look at the new deck plans. Explorers Lounge is the same size and location as before the refit.

The main reason Explorers will hardly be missed is that it is not going away.

If you look at the new deck plans. Explorers Lounge is the same size and location as before the refit.

Oops Senior moment.

My reference to Explorers should have read Universal Lounge :rolleyes:

Edited by Corfe Mixture

b) (Universe Lounge) is a very under used venue and will hardly be missed, (Indeed I think the only time I have been there has been for the security briefing and when it was used as an Elite/Suite/Platinum disembarkation lounge)

Maybe that's because you don't Zumba, line dance, go to culinary demos, religious services, trivia, bingo, ballroom dance lessons, indoor afternoon movies, Captain's Circle parties, or evening shows not in the Princess Theater (including On the Bayou), all of which were held in the Universe on my Coral sailing in December. But, y'know, some of us do.

Edited by shepp

Maybe that's because you don't Zumba, line dance, go to culinary demos, religious services, trivia, bingo, ballroom dance lessons, indoor afternoon movies, Captain's Circle parties, or evening shows not in the Princess Theater (including On the Bayou), all of which were held in the Universe on my Coral sailing in December. But, y'know, some of us do.

Yup. I've spent plenty of time in the U lounge, as have all the hoards of other people there occupying seats making it difficult to find one. I always have to chuckle at the people who think Princess should provide them with an individual, customized ship. "I'll take the Coral, but please hold the Universal Lounge." :p

We had lunch with the head of housekeeping on the Coral during our last cruise (as part of the most traveled passengers party). While I wouldn't say that the head of housekeeping is likely to be the authoritative word on this, I found him to be exceptionally well informed, tremendously organized, and the type of guy that does his homework ahead of time to know things. The discussion of the changes to the Island came up, and whether they'd make it to the Coral.

Basically, he said that the Coral is supposed to go in for dry dock about 4 years after the last major one, but that the talk was it would likely be pushed back another year, when it would *have* to go in (apparently the requirement is that they must go into dry dock once every five years). So that'd put in the 2018 range. But the expectation was that the Coral would get the same changes that the Island is getting at that time.

So take it with a grain of salt, and obviously plans can change, but that's what we heard.

(I'll say he made for a great dinner companion. Incredibly sharp, he knew who he was dining with, how many days we all had, who our cabin stewards were. Came across as tremendously organized, the type of guy that you'd love having in charge of something because you'd know the job would get done properly.)

Apparently, my own question was just answered :mad:

I just got an e-mail from my TA, that my booked cruise on the Coral for Feb 5, 2016 was canceled. Now, I wasn't planning to go then anyway, but push it back to 2017. However, the list of cruises canceled that my TA sent me is everything from January 16, 2016, to February 25, 2016, all 10 day cruises, so 50 days in all :mad: :mad: :mad:

NOT happy :(

:mad:

Edited by Cruzin-K

Apparently, my own question was just answered :mad:

I just got an e-mail from my TA, that my booked cruise on the Coral for Feb 5, 2016 was canceled. Now, I wasn't planning to go then anyway, but push it back to 2017. However, the list of cruises canceled that my TA sent me is everything from January 16, 2016, to February 25, 2016, all 10 day cruises, so 50 days in all :mad: :mad: :mad:

That is longer than any drydock should take.

I wonder if the ship is being chartered some or all of that time.

It is ridiculously speculative to speak of Coral Princess receiving the same refit as Island, especially as Island's refit has not even taken place yet, much less had enough time for Princess to decide if the changes prove profitable enough to attempt on another ship.

Coral Princess had a refit which added the International Cafe just a couple years ago. I very much doubt Princess would spend the money anytime soon to undo that recent change, considering that no decision has been made whether to redeploy Coral to Europe or eslewhere as they have for Island. The situation is with the Island/Coral twins is similar to the Diamond/Sapphire: Sapphire had just received the same retrofit as the other Grand-class ships when the decision was made to redeploy Diamond and Sapphire to Asia and Australia year-round. So renovations of Diamond were postponed until plans could be drawn up to "Asia-fy" her. Thus Diamond and Sapphire are no longer identical twins, and it is safe to say the same will be true of Coral and Island for quite some time after Island's refit.

Remember that all ships go in for routine drydock every 2 to 2.5 years, so the truth is one is likely scheduled soon for Coral. But don't confuse this with any alleged possible major renovations.

Who said anything about the removal of the IC from the Coral?????

The Islands refit will be adding one.

Nope. The e-mail said:

"Please be advised that due to a change of schedule for the Coral Princess’ maintenance period in 2016, the following voyages will be cancelled. Alternative voyages are recommended below..."

How long is the drydock for the Island?

Edited by Cruzin-K

Nope. The e-mail said:

"Please be advised that due to a change of schedule for the Coral Princess’ maintenance period in 2016, the following voyages will be cancelled. Alternative voyages are recommended below..."

How long is the drydock for the Island?

If I'm doing the math right, the Island will be out of service for 45 days, so it would make sense for the Coral to be getting the same type of renovations, especially since it will take a few days to get from Ft. Lauderdale to wherever the Coral will go to be butchered. :mad:

I'm just so sad that I never got to sail on either one of these sisters before changes were made. :( I had planned to do both the Panama Canal and Alaska on the ships made to sail in those locations.

• 3 years later...

I also hope they will leave the Coral alone. Coral and Island were two of our favorite ships. We were on island princess fall of 2016 for 19 days and they have really butchered her The space that is gone is not explores lounge but the club fusion at the very back of the ship It was replaced with more state rooms and a very tiny fitness center Previous luxurious fitness center with windows has been turned into something else All of the space that we had once enjoyed on the island was gone I do indeed feel the difference of all the extra people and the limited space With club fusion gone people that would've been in that venue are now in the others The halls to the other venues are also crowded as are the elevators. There was a TON of negative feedback. We will avoid the island princess and pray they leave coral alone

I do not think Coral will ever get destroyed like Island. There was sooo much outcry right after it was done... She was scheduled for a dry dock later that year, or the next... But after the Island debacle, Mickey Alison did Alaska on Coral, and I think he nixed the changes scheduled for her. EM

Edited by Essiesmom

Why are we giving Princess even the hint that the topic is still valid for discussion by reviving this three year old thread :eek:

The space that is gone is not explores lounge but the club fusion at the very back of the ship It was replaced with more state rooms and a very tiny fitness center

Still incorrect...the aft second showlounge on Coral & (formerly) Island is/was The Universe Lounge. My favorite public room on any Princess ship, now down to only one.

• 1 month later...

We leave for Alaska on the Coral in May and I was just at the Princess website looking at the deck plans. When accessing them, there is a question as to when you are sailing; one says before September 2019 and the other says after September 2019. It looks as if there is going to be changes to the ship in 2019. I didn't take the time to compare the deck plans for each so don't know what changes they might have scheduled.

We leave for Alaska on the Coral in May and I was just at the Princess website looking at the deck plans. When accessing them, there is a question as to when you are sailing; one says before September 2019 and the other says after September 2019. It looks as if there is going to be changes to the ship in 2019. I didn't take the time to compare the deck plans for each so don't know what changes they might have scheduled.

Sheesh... Another old thread revived. (The thread is more than 3 years old!) As for the deck plans... It's nothing more than cabin re-categorization. Princess loves to change cabin categories so they can charge more for "club class" cabins and such.