Severe delay disembarking Eclipse today 2/15 Miami

cruisestitch

It's 9:30. They have only called #14. Just announced that gangway is now closed due to "orders from CBP"

Folks, don't book early flights when sailing from Miami

And American citizens, write your Congressmen and women and urge them to restore funding to CBP.

And please don't blame Celebrity, or any cruise line if this happens to you.

It's 9:30. They have only called #14. Just announced that gangway is now closed due to "orders from CBP"

And American citizens, write your Congressmen and women and urge them to restore funding to CBP.

We used the luggage valet service & just hung around on board until we decided enough had left & it would be less crowded in the terminal. Usually we don't book a return flight home until after 2PM for exactly the reasons you stated.

Thank you for posting this~for all the people who ask, "Can we make

a 10:30am flight home?".....

SHIP happens:eek:.....much safer to book afternoon flights home.

some passengers this morning decided to go ahead and leave even though their numbers hadn't been called have been firmly rebuffed. The gangway has just reopened and they called up to #14.

Don't you just love those kind of people?

Ever wonder if its just a worker "slow down"? We've disembarked in Los Angeles before and noticed very long slow lines. When we finally got to the front, the agent was nice, slow and wanted to chit chat. I was thinking - buddy, there are hundreds of people in line and you are almost deliberately delaying by wanted to talk about the time you went to Catalina and your favorite fish place in Seattle, etc.

Yup, we got some of that. I handed the agent my birth certificate and drivers license. " you don't have your passport?" "No I have this." "So you don't have your passport?" no. "Where's your passport". "Ma'am you have my ID". "May I have your passport." "You have my ID". " so may I have your passport". It was almost comical, and clearly designed just today the process!!!!

Cruisestitch -- Thanks for posting this -- but, sorry to hear that your cruise is ending on such a troublesome note. If you ever find out what the problem was, let us know. We were really lucky when we disembarked Eclipse, the first week of January -- off the ship and in a cab to the airport, shortly after 9 am!

Reflection turnaround yesterday in Miami, last number called at 10:15.

Back to back cruisers, 20 passengers and 40 Polish workers who are constructing Luminae, disembarked at 10:30 and back on board at 10:45. Passengers were boarding at 11.

Strange that the process on Eclipse was so different.

We had such a different experience last week on the Relection. Does seem strange that 2 ships within the same cruise line would have such different debarkation experiences.

Sorry I am so dumb but what does CPB stand for?

Edited by dcruisers

As stated previously, CBP personnel are Essential and will not be affected by funding. But for the record, all Homeland Security Department activities are fully funded by current legislation through 27 February so even if they were not Essential personnel, funding would still not be an issue.

We had such a different experience last week on the Relection. Does seem strange that 2 ships within the same cruise line would have such different debarkation experiences.

Sorry I am so dumb but what does CPB stand for?

CBP stands for US Customs and Border Protection.

On my last cruise out of Miami, I had read horror stories about how long disembarkation/customs took, so I decided to stay in Miami another day. Well, disembarkation went so smooth, I was at the hotel at 9:45 and thank goodness they had a room ready for me.

Edited by NLH Arizona

As stated previously, CBP personnel are Essential and will not be affected by funding. But for the record, all Homeland Security Department activities are fully funded by current legislation through 27 February so even if they were not Essential personnel, funding would still not be an issue.

They are essential so from what I have read they will be required to work after funds run out after Fed 27 however they will not get paid. Great reason to work hard.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

They are essential so from what I have read they will be required to work after funds run out after Fed 27 however they will not get paid. Great reason to work hard.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

That's not exactly the case. They will be required to work and they will not receive paychecks after Feb 27. However, in every case in the past, personnel affected by shutdowns were paid after the fact. Even those who were sent home and did not work during the shutdowns have been paid. Essentially, a paid holiday.