Oasis Review - Amazing Ship - Too Crowded

DHADEN

I'm sorry, we lied? I don't think so. I don't think there is a conspiracy to deceive. Been trolling here for a while and there are daily Allure/Oasis threads and they are all saying the same thing.

What are we all saying:

1. Show up early for the shows 20-30 minutes

2. Breakfast during port days is busy at WJ, try MDR, Johnny etc.

3. Lunch during peak time is busy at WJ but you can get a spot.

4. Show up really early if you want a good seat for the parade.

5. Elevators are busy after a show lets out.

6. Try other dinning venues don't just go to WJ for lunch and breakfast

7. Royal promenade around the shopping blitz are busy, BUT only beside the store, it's fine near the promenade cafe.

8. People show up early to get prime pool side seats, especially on sea days. BUT you always find a spot, a hot tub and a pool because there are so many.

9. MTD you don't just walk in, you wait some times 2 minutes sometimes more.

All the oasis/allure posts/reviews basically say the same thing. No one is lying. You failed to mention the park, does that feel crowded? It really think it's perspective and sure some people feel it's crowded and some don't. There are many people that don't feel it's crowded, they are not lying, it's how they feel and experienced the ship.

This goes out to those that may get scared by the OP. Please read all the comments in this thread you will find other opinions. Remember they are personal opinions so take each with a grain a salt. Find out for yourself, I'm sure you will have a wonderful time.

Edited by Duke Mazer

I'm sorry, we lied? I don't think so. I don't think there is a conspiracy to deceive. Been trolling here for a while and there are daily Allure/Oasis threads and they are all saying the same thing.

What are we all saying:

1. Show up early for the shows 20-30 minutes

2. Breakfast during port days is busy at WJ, try MDR, Johnny etc.

3. Lunch during peak time is busy at WJ but you can get a spot.

4. Show up really early if you want a good seat for the parade.

5. Elevators are busy after a show lets out.

6. Try other dinning venues don't just go to WJ for lunch and breakfast

7. Royal promenade around the shopping blitz are busy, BUT only beside the store, it's fine near the promenade cafe.

8. People show up early to get prime pool side seats, especially on sea days. BUT you always find a spot, a hot tub and a pool because there are so many.

9. MTD you don't just walk in, you wait some times 2 minutes sometimes more.

All the oasis/allure posts/reviews basically say the same thing. No one is lying. You failed to mention the park, does that feel crowded? It really think it's perspective and sure some people feel it's crowded and some don't. There are many people that don't feel it's crowded, they are not lying, it's how they feel and experienced the ship.

This goes out to those that may get scared by the OP. Please read all the comments in this thread you will find other opinions. Remember they are personal opinions so take each with a grain a salt. Find out for yourself, I'm sure you will have a wonderful time.

AMEN, AMEN, and AMEN.

The Oasis class ships have lines for elevators at a few certain times, lines right before a large show, and lines at peak eating times at certain (among the 20+) eating locations. All of those are not major issues in terms of time (except for impatient passengers or those people who waited until the last second to get somewhere).

Agree that for such a giant ship - they are AMAZINGLY NOT CROWDED, especially when comparing to other ships/venues. In fact, one of the benefits of sailing on the Oasis class ships is having many, many things easily available most of the time.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

disagree totally. Never had an issue finding a deck chair on Allure, even on sea days. Always got seats for our party of 10 at the Windjammer. Went to shows about 10-15 minutes before starting and no issue (with reservations). And of course everyones favorite and totally bogus complaint....the ELEVATORS ARE FINE.

It's not an agree or disagree. We aren't discussing politics. We are describing experiences. They are mine yours are yours.

I'm glad your experience on your cruise during your week was satisfying. The consensus is for many on this thread on this size ship it's not.

Lastly the elevators were horrific. I won't allege yours to be bogus, how would I know? And look, I didn't have to capitalize (shout) to describe my experience.

Cheers.

I've been on Allure and Oasis several times. Personally, I don't find the Oasis class crowded. There are occasional lines but none that were a long wait, IMO. I live in a big metropolitan city so maybe I'm not phased by crowds anymore. I also prefer the newer, big ships vs a smaller ship. The Freedom class is a nice size ship but I would pick the Oasis class over any Freedom class ship.

My B2B on the Oasis in Oct was a bit different. I did not get a letter from the ship about the process until I asked for information at guest services towards the end of the week. This could have been because I used different TA for each sailing. Despite going to guest services we still were not on the list when we went to the meeting on Jazz on 4.

We all meet at the Schooner Bar on turn around day around 10:00 am if I remember correctly. The group walked off (about 30 passengers) the ship together and sat upstairs in the terminal about 20 minutes. We got our new sea pass cards and got back on the ship. I think everything took about an hour. We then had a complimentary lunch at Giovanni. The menu selection was limited I'm not sure if was a special b2b menu or the regular lunch menu.

The process was a bit different for people who wanted to get off the ship on turn around day.

Just a note any photographs taken week 1 can be saved and purchased week 2. The b2b coordinator did this for us.

• 4 months later...

DHADEN, I see that you had a grand suite on this trip. Do they have reserved gold card seating for the shows on oasis? What about breakfast and lunch in chops or portofino as apposed to the windjammer for suite guests?

If I have a gold card will I have to wait in the same lines as non-suite guests? I'm trying to decide if the extra money for the suite is worth it since I've historically always had a balcony room. I'm currently booked on oasis in a JS for thanksgiving and am considering upgrading to a GS. Thanks!

Thank you for doing that review. And having sailed Oasis once before, I can say everything you wrote was accurate to our own experience last time. That being said, I can't wait to go back on Oasis later this year. We did find peak times during both breakfast and lunch to be very chaotic at Windjammer and at Park Café. But we remedied that by grabbing a snack during those times and adjusting our meal times a little (either earlier or later than the peak times). This class of ship is definitely not for everyone though. I'm glad you had a great experience. After this next cruise, we're thinking of doing a Voyager class.

What would you say are the 'peak times' for breakfast and lunch. Taking first Oasis cruise in November.

DHADEN, I see that you had a grand suite on this trip. Do they have reserved gold card seating for the shows on oasis? What about breakfast and lunch in chops or portofino as apposed to the windjammer for suite guests?

If I have a gold card will I have to wait in the same lines as non-suite guests? I'm trying to decide if the extra money for the suite is worth it since I've historically always had a balcony room. I'm currently booked on oasis in a JS for thanksgiving and am considering upgrading to a GS. Thanks!

If you can afford it, I would say it is DEFINITELY worth the Gold Card. The "Suite Lounge" (there is no Concierge Lounge for Diamond Plus any more) is AMAZING with free drinks all day instead of "Just Happy Hour".

There are Reserved Seatings for the shows, but you still have to show up 30 minutes early. After a while they open that to the public.

When you add up how many time you have to waste 30 minutes for every event, a half day of your cruise is gone!! :eek: You people who say "WAITING or STANDING IN LINE for 1/2 hour is no big deal" have a different view of cruising than I do.

We happen to LIKE the windjammer and we LIKE to have lunch around 12:30 or 1:00 (I would say Peak-Time)

What would you say are the 'peak times' for breakfast and lunch. Taking first Oasis cruise in November.

I would say, breakfast peak times are when the Dining Room is open.

Lunch peak times are 11:30 to 1:30

Hope This Helps

There are Reserved Seatings for the shows, but you still have to show up 30 minutes early.

Hello! We're booked on Harmony for December 2016. This will be our first Oasis-class sailing. Have you found the lines to be just as long for late show seatings as the earlier ones? I'll just have to bring an extra helping of Patience if the wait is unavoidable no matter the timeslot.

Edited by undercat

I've never found the Oasis class to be crowded, personally. Being British, I'm used to queuing, so having to queue for a few minutes before dining or before a show really doesn't bother me. I'd rather be queuing to watch Chicago on the Allure than queuing at the supermarket at home! Perspective!!

I am on the Oasis this week and have not been bothered by crowding. If you go to a show you are going to experience crowds, but it is really no big deal. It depends a lot on your approach to those things. I go early and stay in my seat until the crowd thins after the event. I just go with the flow and everything works out fine. If you show up at the last minute, good luck!

The suite lounge and coastal kitchen are great! If you have a gold card these venues greatly enhance the cruise experience. The lounge and restaurant are never really crowded, the food and service are fantastic.

What is the best time to go to the Oasis lunch and breakfast venues and hopefully beat the rush? We tend to prefer early rather than late, and will have 3 people with food allergies in our group so we may need to speak to a chef when it's not overly crowded..

I hit breakfast at 7:00 AM every morning. Hardly anyone there at that time.

For lunch, most of the time I hit the Solarium or Central Park, somewhere around 11:30. Never did I experience a crowd.

Personally, I hate crowds, and I manage to avoid them almost completely. The Oasis has so many venues, if you plan accordingly, you might never experience a crowd.

Now, for all of the people who have written reviews and said that the Oasis was NOT CROWDED…….

“Sure there are 6,000 pax, but you never see the people because the ship is so big.”…………..

THEY LIE!!!! :p :D

The ship was CROWDED A LOT !!!

I know experiences can differ dramatically from week to week, but I think your use of the words "they lie" is a bit extreme, even with the emoticons.

I have crowd anxiety and cannot stand crowded spaces. Cruise ship crowding is one of my biggest complaints about the mainstream cruise industry. That said, my 4 cruises on Oasis Class were 4 of the least crowded cruise experiences I have ever had. In fact, there were times we walked around wondering where the heck everyone was.

Then again, our favorite evening hang outs were the jazz club and the Viking Crown Lounge, neither of which were ever crowded. I'm disappointed they did away with the VCL. It was my favorite venue on the ship.

Edited by Aquahound

Now, for all of the people who have written reviews and said that the Oasis was NOT CROWDED…….

“Sure there are 6,000 pax, but you never see the people because the ship is so big.”…………..

THEY LIE!!!! :p :D

The ship was CROWDED A LOT !!!

First of all...thank you for your review.

Having been on twin Allure about 6 weeks ago...we respectively totally disagree with your observation as a general statement.

On our 7-day Allure cruise, we never had to wait for any shows...there was plenty of seating for everything. The only wait times were in an occasional visit to Windjammer...and those consisted of about 30 seconds to 2 minutes at the most - very nominal.

We've been on both Oasis and Allure...and found them to be the least crowded of all the cruise ships we've been aboard.

While there is no doubt you had your reported experience...our point is simply that based on hundreds of posts on that specific topic...it appears to be the exception and not the rule.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise. :)

Great review! I liked the big, bold letters highlighting the main idea.

I'm going on Jewel of the Seas in January. Your opinion of Radiance class ships is encouraging.

Edited by Susie51

Great review! I liked the big, bold letters highlighting the main idea.

I'm going on Jewel of the Seas in January. Your opinion of Radiance class ships is encouraging.

Susie;

You will LOVE the Jewel.

She hasn't gone through the "Rebuild" yet that all the other Radiance Class ships have done. That means the SeaView Café is still there.

Be sure to go there late at night (it is open til 1:00 or 1:30 am) and get the "Feathers & Fingers" with an order of ONION RINGS!! :D:rolleyes:

THEY HAVE THE BEST ONION RINGS IN THE WORLD!!!;)

Susie;

You will LOVE the Jewel.

She hasn't gone through the "Rebuild" yet that all the other Radiance Class ships have done. That means the SeaView Café is still there.

Be sure to go there late at night (it is open til 1:00 or 1:30 am) and get the "Feathers & Fingers" with an order of ONION RINGS!! :D:rolleyes:

THEY HAVE THE BEST ONION RINGS IN THE WORLD!!!;)

Seaview Cafe is a pay venue at night offering Burgers and Brews. Cost is $10 for a "gourmet" burger, beer is an additional charge.

Oasis/Allure can seem crowded for passengers that aren't familiar with how to "work the system". One must absolutely learn this system or you will be miserable. For example, stay away from the Windjammer during peak times, especially on embarkation day, it's not difficult. Get there early for breakfast or stay away. Johnny Rockets and the MDR were awesome for breakfast and lunch. Never had a problem with crowds there. Use the stairs when getting off the ship, the elevators will be insane. We arrive 15 minutes before showtime and have never had to fight crowds to get a good seat. Be the last to leave, no problem.

I, too, have never experienced the long lines the OP has, not even on accident. Learning the system will be much rewarded for a sane, relaxing vacation.

Oasis/Allure can seem crowded for passengers that aren't familiar with how to "work the system". One must absolutely learn this system or you will be miserable.

For example,

1) stay away from the Windjammer during peak times, especially on embarkation day,

2) Get there early for breakfast or stay away.

3) Use the stairs when getting off the ship, the elevators will be insane.

4) We arrive 15 minutes before showtime and have never had to fight crowds to get a good seat.

5) Be the last to leave, no problem.

I, too, have never experienced the long lines the OP has, not even on accident. Learning the system will be much rewarded for a sane, relaxing vacation.

You see - this is EXACTLY What I'm Talkin' 'Bout!

You say you haven't experienced "Long Lines"/ crowds; but then you say you must COMPLETELY CHANGE all the things you like to do on a cruise. Why can you not see the complete Contradiction in Terms that you are stating?

You had to EXPERIENCE the crowds and lines before you "learn to work the system".

Why would I book a cruise where I have to give up or change what a I like to do in order to STAY SANE ???

Edited by DHADEN

When I read reviews like this one I take it with a grain of salt.

I think crowds are a person perspective. To one person 20 People in a room maybe not be crowded to another person 2 people in a room is crowded.

Think about it you are getting on a vessel with roughly 6000 people & 2000 crew members, to think you won't encounter SOME crowds is some crazy thinking :eek:

I agree with the previous post

I have sailed almost every class of RCCL ship.

There are always lines... How can there not be??

and yes, you can learn what is peak and not peak???

It's kinda like walking into a land based resteraunt at 7pm on friday and NOT expecting to wait????

And I have never been to a concert/ theater or sporting event. where I didn't have to arrive early and wait in a line to get in? so for me, 15 minutes early is simply par for the course.

However..... I have sailed on the Allure twice now, and I have to say that I have not found it ANY more crowded than any other ship I have been on... And it some cases.. I think it's less crowded

For example. Yes... I stood in line outside of windjammer for about ten minutes. BUT on the allure ( and I am sure it's the same on the oasis) they take you right to a table... as opposed to the other ships where you go through the buffet line and then walk around for 10 minutes trying to find a place to sit....

So...I dont think it's so much Altering your plans... IT's more like managing your expectations.... Sure there are some sailings, (maybe) that might go out only 70% capacity.... but if the ship is full... there will undoubtedly be some lines...

To those that think the ship is simply too big, thats another issue all together... but .... as I said... I really have not found it to be more crowded than anything else. AND hands down the oasis class ships have the fastest boarding process of any ship I have ever seen. The last two sailings I was on the ship within 15 minutes of arriving at the pier. ( the trick of course, is to not show up two hours before boarding time and complain that you are waiting in a line)

Just my experience. so Crowded, (maybe) but no more than any other ship I have sailed on

Edited by TheTruthCanHurt

Oasis/Allure can seem crowded for passengers that aren't familiar with how to "work the system". One must absolutely learn this system or you will be miserable. For example, stay away from the Windjammer during peak times, especially on embarkation day, it's not difficult. Get there early for breakfast or stay away. Johnny Rockets and the MDR were awesome for breakfast and lunch. Never had a problem with crowds there. Use the stairs when getting off the ship, the elevators will be insane. We arrive 15 minutes before showtime and have never had to fight crowds to get a good seat. Be the last to leave, no problem.

You see - this is EXACTLY What I'm Talkin' 'Bout!

You say you haven't experienced "Long Lines"/ crowds; but then you say you must COMPLETELY CHANGE all the things you like to do on a cruise. Why can you not see the complete Contradiction in Terms that you are stating?

You had to EXPERIENCE the crowds and lines before you "learn to work the system".

Why would I book a cruise where I have to give up or change what a I like to do in order to STAY SANE ???

Except for the shows, we probably follow Rusty Nut's rules on every cruise. There's is a chance you're both right and Rusty just had better timing. We've sailed Oasis and Allure and never felt crowded but that was our perception.

WE have been on both the Allure and Oasis. We got in to every food venue every time. and found tables. We went before noon and early breakfast. Same with dinner around 5:30. Really two meals a day for me was enough to pig out.

As for the shows we booked ahead of time. yes it is crowded at the end of the

shows. So why stand right next to the elevators when you know it will be crowded. We just walked to the other end or center or to another floor. Or

stay in the theater for a few mins. then leave. What is the big hurry. You are on vacation. You don't have a car to run to . 10 mins makes a big difference.

We loved both ships. We are going on 2016 Oasis again. Hope to book the new Oasis for 2017.