Do you get your niggles successfully dealt with on board.

Silverhairedbee

Just had a lovely cruise east med on the Jade.

However we had two niggles which we tried to get resolved whilst on board.

1) When my wife needs a soft drink she wants a "light" variety. However

not Coke light. The only alternative seems to be 7 Up light which is perfect.

However the number of times we were told the bar did not have it was more often than not. The Atrium bar made some effort to keep it in stock but this was still very uncertain. Even when I escalated this little improvement was

made.

2) We attended a number of the day time functions such as quizzes etc. However we often found the bar was closed in the room where the function was being held. Often as late as 5.00pm. This made getting regular drinks very difficult. I also escalated this to the senior manager who was quite defensive and asserted that bar staff circulated the bar when the events were being held. This was blatantly untrue and the situation did not improve.

I wonder what experiences others have had.

Robbie

However the number of times we were told the bar did not have it was more often than not. The Atrium bar made some effort to keep it in stock but this was still very uncertain. Even when I escalated this little improvement was

made.

2) We attended a number of the day time functions such as quizzes etc. However we often found the bar was closed in the room where the function was being held. Often as late as 5.00pm. This made getting regular drinks very difficult. I also escalated this to the senior manager who was quite defensive and asserted that bar staff circulated the bar when the events were being held. This was blatantly untrue and the situation did not improve.

Robbie

We've been on the Jade four times, last April being the last. Your concern #2 is pretty much the same on all the lines we cruise. The bars don't open until later for the most part. On our most recent cruise on another line, we had a beverage package which included nonalcoholic drinks as well and ended up using the bar in the buffet to get what we wanted in the a.m. and carried it elsewhere.

#1 Unless things have changed since last April, NCL carries Pepsi products. Very frustrating for this Diet Coke/Coke Light addict. DH always tells everyone we spend a lot of time in various ports searching for it to carry aboard. It's true. I'd advise bringing the Diet 7Up with you. Lines seem to have either Coke or Pepsi products and not 7Up.

I am sorry management was not responsive to your concern. I did see a negative change in that regard on our last Jade cruise compared to the three previous ones. I had several concerns which I would have discussed with officers (as we usually do) at the Meet and Greet. They said hello and quickly exited the room.

If you want Coke, go to Disney - no chance of being able to buy Pepsi products there. Big companies have contracts with beverage companies, and usually carry either Come or Pepsi, making some of their customers happy, and an equal amount of their customers unhappy.

niggle

/ˈnɪɡ(ə)l/

verb

verb: niggle; 3rd person present: niggles; past tense: niggled; past participle: niggled; gerund or present participle: niggling

cause slight but persistent annoyance, discomfort, or anxiety.

Indeed. But the OP was using it as a noun..

For info - if you Google define:niggle you go straight to on-line dictionaries' links for niggle.

niggle can also be used as a noun.

niggle

(ˈnɪɡəl)

vb

1. (intr) to find fault continually

2. (intr) to be preoccupied with details; fuss

3. (tr) to irritate; worry

n

4. a slight or trivial objection or complaint

5. a slight feeling as of misgiving, uncertainty, etc

On the Jade in July 2014 we had a couple of issues with slow service in the Blue Lagoon. We wrote a note to the Restaurant Manager. He tracked us down to discuss the problems and apologise. The service seemed better in December 2014 so they did seem to address the problem.

Since most posters on CC do not speak British, it would have helped if O.P.

had used the word "problems" in his title.

Then we would not have had to be lectured on the "English" language.

I do not speak British but could tell from the context that a niggle was a small problem, accent on small, which is not really the same as "problems", a word which implies something more major than slight irritants,

We had a complaint about the service we received in Cagney's. We spoke with the assistant Maitre d'. Instead of getting an apology or promise of improvement, we got excuses for the poor service. That didn't sit well with me.

made.

Robbie

Nothing unusual at all about this experience.

I've never heard the word before either, but was excited that I might just get my niggles taken care of while onboard one of the ships, after I read the title of the thread! :D Got really disappointed when I read the post and found out that they were just issues.

LOL me too! What a letdown.

made.

Robbie

You may have had better luck if she had asked for diet sierra mist. Unless you ask for a diet pop, the bartender may not know what you want. A light beverage can mean light coloured or a flavoured water. The term "light" isn't really used for diet pops in North America.

Some of the replies by others drove me around the twist ;)

Last spring break (March 2014) we were on Carnival Elation with two 12 yo boys. The basketball hoop was broken, and the customer service desk said it would be fixed within a day. Each day we inquired about the broken basketball hoop, we were informed it would be repaired the following day giving us the reasoning that maintenance had higher priority items they were working. To our boys, this was priority #1. We also learned from another staff member that it had been broken the previous cruise as well.

On the 4th day (of a 5 day cruise) they finally admitted they did not have the part and it would not be available for the cruise. I communicated our disappointment, but no one seemed to care. I also sent an email once we returned home, but never received a response.

You may have had better luck if she had asked for diet sierra mist. Unless you ask for a diet pop, the bartender may not know what you want. A light beverage can mean light coloured or a flavoured water. The term "light" isn't really used for diet pops in North America.

Some of the replies by others drove me around the twist ;)

I agree that Diet Sierra Mist might have brought better luck. I like it and have never failed to get it on the ship.

Last year on the Jade, I found the bartenders were very anxious to be accommodating. Early on in the cruise, we ordered a cocktail (from the menu) that required fresh watermelon. It was explained that they didn't have any in stock at that bar. We were deciding what else to order, but as we sat there, having pleasant conversation with the bartender, one of the others ran off and came back in a bit with a plate of watermelon from the buffet ( 6 decks up). We were so pleased and impressed by his resourcefulness. From that moment on, every time we went to that bar, one of the bartenders would let us know that they had a plateful in their little fridge. Moral of the story, if they KNOW and understand what you want, they will do all they can to get it for you. Communication is the key. And I doubt talking to a manager would have been as successful because it required thinking outside the box.

Edited by Mooder

I agree that Diet Sierra Mist might have brought better luck. I like it and have never failed to get it on the ship.

Last year on the Jade, I found the bartenders were very anxious to be accommodating. Early on in the cruise, we ordered a cocktail (from the menu) that required fresh watermelon. It was explained that they didn't have any in stock at that bar. We were deciding what else to order, but as we sat there, having pleasant conversation with the bartender, one of the others ran off and came back in a bit with a plate of watermelon from the buffet ( 6 decks up). We were so pleased and impressed by his resourcefulness. From that moment on, every time we went to that bar, one of the bartenders would let us know that they had a plateful in their little fridge. Moral of the story, if they KNOW and understand what you want, they will do all they can to get it for you. Communication is the key. And I doubt talking to a manager would have been as successful because it required thinking outside the box.

And that folks is what we call good customer service. :)

( PS: You are so needy. ;) )

I am going to ask for a Niggle on the Rocks an see what get.

Edited by LOWTYD

We had a complaint about the service we received in Cagney's. We spoke with the assistant Maitre d'. Instead of getting an apology or promise of improvement, we got excuses for the poor service. That didn't sit well with me.

You should have spoken to the manager.

The maitre d' is more likely to give excuses to make you go away.

I had an issue in Moderno on my last cruise, and got stupid responses from the staff present at the time when I complained. I left a message for the manager, and when he called me, he was very nice, apologetic, and gave us a free bottle of wine for our trouble. (This was an issue which was easy to verify, btw, which probably helped.)

The definition of "niggle" notwithstanding, it's been my experience that NCL has sometimes run out of diet soft drinks at the more popular bars. I usually just toddle off, and find what I'm looking for at another bar. One time my travel agent sent me a bon voyage bottle of wine. I had stopped drinking alcohol by then, and asked NCL to replace it with Diet Coke. I had to settle for half Diet Coke and half Sierra Mist. Leads me to believe NCL knows the diet stuff goes fast, but they're try to make it last as best they can.

made.

Robbie

I am some surprised at the consternation the word "niggles" has produced. It is a very common expression in UK English. In fact if you search cruise critic it comes up repeatedly. Is that because us cruisers get so many of them.!!!

Thank you for all the informative comments,

Robbie