Husband can't go...what happens now?

amydandrea

We recently found out that my husbands mom is ill, he is considering skipping our upcoming March cruise. We did not buy insurance...so I totally get that we would not be eligible for a refund. But does it create a problem with having only one person in the cabin? Technically we paid for 2, no refund etc...Would it just be considered a "no show" and all perks remain in place? (OBC)

Yes, in the case of no-show nothing changes (don't call NCL etc, just show up alone in the port, there is nothing they can do to penalize you for one person not showing up) - you won't get refund of the cruise fare but all OBC etc perks are the same still. (You might still be able to get a refund for the port fees etc, but I don't know sure about that.)

Edited by Demonyte

Yes, in the case of no-show nothing changes - you won't get refund of the cruise fare but all OBC etc perks are the same still. (You might still be able to get a refund for the port fees etc, but I don't know sure about that.)

This is also my understanding based on what I've read.

Yes, in the case of no-show nothing changes (don't call NCL etc, just show up alone in the port, there is nothing they can do to penalize you for one person not showing up) - you won't get refund of the cruise fare but all OBC etc perks are the same still. (You might still be able to get a refund for the port fees etc, but I don't know sure about that.)

Thank you, I was even considering changing the passenger and bringing my son, same name ironically, but not sure if that would incur fees...I can travel alone, but it would be more fun with a buddy!

Thank you, I was even considering changing the passenger and bringing my son, same name ironically, but not sure if that would incur fees...I can travel alone, but it would be more fun with a buddy!

Call and ask the cruise line. You may be able to transfer the fare.

I think that name changes are fine - up to a certain point when the ship's manifest (with passenger's names and passport info) must be turned in. My PCC told me I could add/change a name up to a week before (he said that a month ago) - but check with either NCL or your travel agent to be sure. (And you'd only be changing birthdate, since names are the same!) Good luck...

This is why, for the last couple of cruises, we pay the little extra for insurance. We always used to take the risk, but we both have elderly parents (my dad turns 91 in May) and I don't think either of us would want to go alone if the other couldn't.

Do you have a friend who could go with you? As said, a passenger change would incur a small fee compared to losing it all. You son would be fine too. As said, all it may be is a name change, DoB and ID# change, for maybe a $50 or so fee.

If you do decide to do it alone, join up with the singles group. You can meet a lot of nice people just like yourself, not everyone's spouse is able or wants to go. Just fun people to hang out with, enjoy dinners with and meet new friends. I did it for the first time last summer and really enjoyed the freedom of doing exactly what I wanted whenever I wanted.

I'm not suggesting doing it without notifying the cruiseline, his dob etc is totally different and he is a child, I'm just saying he has the same name. lol

I would call whoever you booked with to inquire if there is a name change fee and how close to the cruise date you can make the change. That way you would know if there is a certain date that you have to make the change.

I hope it all works out for you. :)

I'm not suggesting doing it without notifying the cruiseline, his dob etc is totally different and he is a child, I'm just saying he has the same name. lol

The person you quoted was actually responding to another poster who asked if it was too late to add insurance, not to you:). It is certainly worth a call to NCL to ask if you can add your son in place of DH.

Is there still time to add insurance?

Yes you can buy 3 rd party insurance probably up to 48 hrs before the cruise

Your husband is the one covered.... Not his mother.... So ignore those that will now chime in with the pre-existing illness comments

However, in order for your dh to be able to invoke his insurance claim..... It would be under the immediate relative ....death.....close to death....or extremely serious potentially life threatening....

And you mil's doctor would need to say the above mentioned issues are imminent

You don't mention how sick mil is or what her medical condition is so it is hard to say what the outcome would be

IMHO it depends on 2 things ....for you..... At this point

1. The cost of dh insurance versus cost of dh cruise loss and if mil is actually near death

2. The fact that you and dh are ok with you going solo or going with ds....for a minimal name change fee

Number 2 above would be my choice especially since dh is ok with it

Lastly..... Look into cancel for any reason insurance....for both of you..... As you will need coverage too should you decide to skip the cruise too.... This will be difficult coverage to find and will be expensive

It also really does come down to the actual cost of cruise vs loss of cruise.

I just re read your op.... You say she is ill.... You don't mention how ill......and I assume your mil wasn't caring for your ds as you say you could still travel solo.....

It could be that your dh needs to stay with his mom so just take ds and enjoy.....especially since dh is not giving you a guilt trip about it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Crusin6

Most likely I will end up solo, and he would be a no show..since it would involve air fare for my DS to travel. I forgot to mention that my daughter and significant other are traveling on the same cruise, so I'm not ALONE but just the only one in my cabin! :) Still hoping DH will come, thankfully his mom is not near death but had a recent cancer diagnosis and may have a procedure that week...still hoping he comes!

If you sail solo, you would be charged for the single supplement, but the fare your husband paid, will probably take care of that.

Single supplement only applies to (most) solo bookings, not when one person in two-person booking is a no-show. As said, there are no extra penalties if somebody just doesn't show up in the port.

Edited by Demonyte

You're kidding, correct? :confused: You only get credit for your own days on a cruise - never someone else's.

Asking a question , not kidding. If you paid double occupancy you get double credit, just like double credit if in a suite and triple credit if in a cruise booked at least 9 months in advance, so it was a question. There are so many different rules it is wise to ask questions.

Asking a question , not kidding. If you paid double occupancy you get double credit, just like double credit if in a suite and triple credit if in a cruise booked at least 9 months in advance, so it was a question. There are so many different rules it is wise to ask questions.

In this case no passenger has paid double fare. Each of two booked passengers have paid their own fare only.