Why Novo?

jsf

I see that the Equinox has a novo outbreak and was wondering why this problem has been going on for years. Why can't they find out how these outbreaks keep happening? It seems like a solution would be better than having to scrub done these big ships constantly. There must be some mighty smart people that could find out how this keeps affecting the cruise industry, it's been going on for many years. We are on the Equinox in April and I hope it's clean by then.

J.

I see that the Equinox has a novo outbreak and was wondering why this problem has been going on for years. Why can't they find out how these outbreaks keep happening? It seems like a solution would be better than having to scrub done these big ships constantly. There must be some mighty smart people that could find out how this keeps affecting the cruise industry, it's been going on for many years. We are on the Equinox in April and I hope it's clean by then.

J.

Once they figure out how to prevent colds and the flu I am sure they can eradicate noro as well - cruise ship outbreaks for noro represent a tiny number of total outbreaks, it is one of the most common viruses/illnesses.

Why do people keep on getting colds? the flu? any airborne illness?

This is not just a cruise ship problem. It happens a lot at hospitals, colleges, any place that large groups of people congregate and breathe on each other.

Prevention is key - wash your hands often, use the anti-bacterial solution offered on the ships, stay quarantined in your cabin if you have symptoms.

The industry is doing things - Equinox is a good example. A good cleaning after an outbreak can help stop the next group from getting sick.

J.

It doesn't take "mighty smart people" to figure it out. Put the same 3-6,000 people together on a ship for a week: add buffett dinners, coffee dispensers, railings, elevator buttons, and one HIGHLY contagious virus. Really not that hard to "find out why it happens"........:rolleyes:

Truth is more people get Noro on airplanes each year than cruise ships. It's just that people stay together for extended times on ships, so they have a far more first hand account of the issue, and it makes for great news articles in today's 24 hour news cycle, and don't ever realize that after a plane ride, when they get the symptoms a few days later, that' it's like there are all those other strangers now all over the world also experiencing similar distress.

The fix, it's easy, all passengers need to wash hands, and use the ship-provided sanitizers. problem solved. But watch the number of people who will board a ship and bypass the sanitizer. This epoxeiple should be corralled into a separate line and be forced to wash hands, assuming they don't use sanitizer due to allergies.

Just like vaccines for Measles, it only works if everyone participates.

CNN had an article recently that cruise ships had the lowest number of Noro outbreaks in over 14 years last year.

The fix is PERSONABLE RESPONSIBILITY, not making the corporations enforce some new rules or such other remedy that won't work anyway.

All it takes is one lazy ship employee who handles food after using the restroom and not washing hands effectively!!!!! ONE!!!

Just like all it takes is one lazy passenger who goes thru the buffet or uses a salt shaker after using the restroom and not washing hands effectively!!!!! ONE!!! Or boards the ship in port and doesn't sanitize. Or borrows a book from the library a former sick passenger left behind.

Outbreaks are far more likely to be caused by Passengers than Crew.

1. Because there are fewer crew than passengers, so chances are more
  2. Because crew are drilled into their heads safe food handling procedures
  3. Because crew have to live too, and don't want to live sick on the ships

Edited by cle-guy

J.

They are scrubbing the ships down constantly and the cruise ships have taken affirmative actions over the years to prevent illnesses.

Are you aware that 35 million people get noro every year and only about 3 or 4 thousand of them are on cruise ships. Think they're doing pretty good. Problem is the news media likes to blow the problem out of proportion, never here them reporting about the outbreaks in schools, nursing homes, etc, ther're not glamorous, news mantra is "if it bleeds it leads.

first of all it is noro virus not novo, It infact was first diagnosed in cnnecticut, not on a ship hence the name, Secondly it is one of the most common earound in the winter. It spreads quickly everywhere people congregate. I am a nurse and the facility I work for has been in quarentine three times this winter alone....Has happened every winter I have worked as a nurse. hand washing is essential. Unfortunately , purell is not that effective against this virus. Regular soap and water does a much better job. Like everyone else has said, It would be great if cruise ships figured out an effectively way to eradicate it.. But , Just like the new measles outbreaks, It's not the ships , the schools, the medical facilities, etc that are at fault as much as individuals who don't follow the protocals that perpetuate the spread of all these viruses.

Replace as many surfaces as possible with Copper products - research indicates that it kills the norovirus.

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/mediacentre/news/2013/sep/13_162.shtml

Yep, I've read that on military ships, they have less problem because many railings are copper and other similar bacteria and viral fighting metals.

I see that the Equinox has a novo outbreak and was wondering why this problem has been going on for years. Why can't they find out how these outbreaks keep happening? .

J.

Because they have not figured out how to force people to wash their hands before leaving the toilet room plain and simple.

You are supposing that the SHIP has something to do with Noro.....and it doesn't!

Noro is in schools, churches...anywhere there are PEOPLE! People bring is aboard. The only way to stop it on a cruise ship, is to get rid of all the people!

Unfortunately , purell is not that effective against this virus.

Do be aware that the hand sanitizer on X ships (and likely other lines, but I have not verified) is a special formulation that is effective against noro. I believe its brand name is still Puereile, but it's a unique formulation.

If you watch the Ship Information channel in your cabin, they will tell people to refrain from using their own sanitizers and instead use the one they furnish for this reason.

So anyone who bypasses the ship provided dispensers because they just Purelle'd their own hands, is furthering the spread of the virus.

Edited by cle-guy

It doesn't take "mighty smart people" to figure it out. Put the same 3-6,000 people together on a ship for a week: add buffett dinners, coffee dispensers, railings, elevator buttons, and one HIGHLY contagious virus. Really not that hard to "find out why it happens"........:rolleyes:

And people. How about washing hands after latrine visits, cross contamination of food by putting you hands in something to taste it or coughing /sneezing

on other people or food!

The list goes on. Your on a ship, THINK! Be clean and respect others. Ever wonder why years ago, before antibiotics, men and women wore gloves in public? Maybe the practice should be taken up again!:eek:

Do be aware that the hand sanitizer on X ships (and likely other lines, but I have not verified) is a special formulation that is effective against noro. I believe its brand name is still Puereile, but it's a unique formulation.

If you watch the Ship Information channel in your cabin, they will tell people to refrain from using their own sanitizers and instead use the one they furnish for this reason.

So anyone who bypasses the ship provided dispensers because they just Purelle'd their own hands, is furthering the spread of the virus.

Purelle is good, but is not as effective as the Clorox brand that is used through out hospitals. It is 99.9 percent effective and is bleach free. A bit expensive but worth the money!:)

As others have said, Noro is everywhere. Working in the schools, I come into contact with kids who come down with it all the time. Cruise ships are lucky in that they have staff who will do a full scrub down. I have seen 33% or more of a school's students and staff will be out with the stomach flu and no one comes in to scrub the school down. Once the staff are healthy, they will come in an scrub their rooms, but by then more students and staff have become sick. So it isn't exclusive to cruise ships. It is just that there is data regarding the "outbreaks" on cruise ships and thus it becomes news. Asking to get rid of noro is like asking to cure the common cold. If we can't get rid of measles, which there is a known vaccine for, how do you expect to get rid of noro?

Also, I suggest that everyone speaks to their own doctors about using anti-bacterial solutions before eating and/or on a consistent basis. It is not best for all and certainly not a one size fits all solution. Just some food for thought.

Purelle is good, but is not as effective as the Clorox brand that is used through out hospitals. It is 99.9 percent effective and is bleach free. A bit expensive but worth the money!:)

I've been using Purell VF-481 for several years now, which is the type that is used on Celebrity. This version of Purell has been shown in tests to be effective against Noro Virus. Just recently I've switched to Zylast. A product that seems to remain effective for up to six hours, compared to just killing the germs on your hands when applied. Of course washing your hand in warm soapy water is still the best method to get rid of the noro virus on your hands. I do both. I wash my hands and then apply my alcohol product. Of course, noro virus is very contagious and no matter how careful you may be, you still may get it. You just try your best and lower the odds.

Steve

I am a strong supporter of hand washing and hand sanitizing as a back-up. But unfortunately, this virus is so very, very contagious that doing so in no way will prevent the spread of the disease - it will only reduce its outbreak.

People can be contagious before they are aware they have the virus and up to two weeks afterwards (yes, two weeks - I learned this reading it somewhere on the CDC website). Say a person is coming down with the virus but doesn't yet know it. They wash their hands thoroughly after the bathroom. Then a few minutes later their nose itches so they rub it. Then they touch the elevator button. Then the handrail. Then the tongs in the buffet. And while they are in the buffet they don't do anything untoward, but they lean over to make a choice and breathe in and out. Boom. The virus has spread.

Or a person had the virus over a week ago, feels fine, but technically is still contagious. Repeat the above steps. Boom. The virus spreads again.

Say a person enters a restroom where someone with the virus was sick recently. (gross I know, but this is real). They wash their hands thoroughly before they leave but while they were in there they inhale. Boom. The virus spreads again.

Yes, wash your hands thoroughly and often. Don't touch your face with your hands. But also don't blame the cruise lines, or in many cases even the other passengers. It is very easy to innocently spread the virus - it literally takes only a minute particle of the virus to spread - it is one of the most virulent on earth.

The good news - there is a vaccination in the works. The bad news - it is several years out from testing. Let's all hope it works!

im pretty sure last week either the oasis or allure had it and was late leaving after a cleaning, the equinox was the next ship to dock in there berth at the port. My guess they terminal was not cleaned too good so that's why the equinox is getting a deep clean this weekend after its passengers came down with it during there sailing.