can kids stay on board NAV while parents go ashore?

tallgibb

awesome! and they provide activies/supervision the whole time (and feed them, lol)??

Just to clarify, Adventure Ocean and the Nursery (if your ship has one) are open while the ship is in port. The teen areas are open for kids to hang out but are not staffed until later in the afternoon on a port day.

One of our WORST cruise memories is sailing away from Mexico, standing out on the promenade deck, slowly drifting away from the pier.

Then a taxi pulls up at the pier and two screaming people run out, yelling, "STOP! OUR KIDS ARE ONBOARD!" This was before we had kids but it stuck with me.

Never, never, never would I leave my kids onboard! (And they're 12 and 14 now!)

One of our WORST cruise memories is sailing away from Mexico, standing out on the promenade deck, slowly drifting away from the pier.

Then a taxi pulls up at the pier and two screaming people run out, yelling, "STOP! OUR KIDS ARE ONBOARD!" This was before we had kids but it stuck with me.

omg thats what i would be my greatest fear.. i wouldn't leave my kids on board either but to each his own...

Agree. We left our daughter aboard once for a couple hours when she was 10-11, but we were just wandering around port on foot close to the ship. No way I'd leave kids aboard and go off from port far by taxi or boat where there was a possibility we might encounter circumstances that would prevent us from getting back on time.

Edited by bouhunter

OP's question is answered. She did not ask for opinions on if she should. Not trying to be mean, just think we should stick to the question and mind our own business on her personal choices. :)

Well if everyone followed that rule here, there would be about 10% of the number of posts and a lot of very short threads...................:D

OP's question is answered. She did not ask for opinions on if she should. Not trying to be mean, just think we should stick to the question and mind our own business on her personal choices. :)

Looks like CC has missed out on updating the list of Moderators of the boards, as your Name is still missing:rolleyes:

Oh my what happened?! Did they go back for them? I know 99.9999% of the time they don't!

Looks like CC has missed out on updating the list of Moderators of the boards, as your Name is still missing:rolleyes:

Ouch. Rude much.

I left my one year old in a DCL nursery while we did a beach day with our older son. She was happier in the nursery than she would've been on the beach in the sun. We just went off ship for a couple hours / to minimize any risk of being left behind.

Would totally do that again. Probably would not do a 6-7 hour excursion though.

I don't know about rci - but on DCL, I was told the "parents left behind" policy is to restrict children to their cabin with one of the kids program counselors -- billed at 25/hour for the babysitting service.

Edited by angielane

I disagree. When posting a question, wouldn't it be a good idea to hear the good or bad stories to make an informed decision on whether to leave them or not?

No one is putting down the OP for the question....just relaying what could happen.

I would welcome both scenarios.

For me, I would never leave my kids on board, just for the reason of the possibility of missing the ship. Things happen and I would want my kids with me.

I totally agree. Posting experiences is always a nice touch. It may not always directly answer the question, but someone may have an experience others never considered. If anything, it couldn't hurt. The OP or anyone else reading can either learn from or ignore the ideas or experiences.

Tom

I disagree. When posting a question, wouldn't it be a good idea to hear the good or bad stories to make an informed decision on whether to leave them or not?

No one is putting down the OP for the question....just relaying what could happen.

I would welcome both scenarios.

For me, I would never leave my kids on board, just for the reason of the possibility of missing the ship. Things happen and I would want my kids with me.

Just off NAV. Everything provided above is still true about care while you go to excursions. We did not use the service but our kids had SOOO much fun there - they begged us to leave them there each day instead of going to an island! (Next time we might do just that!).

If you are on a RC excursion - they will wait for you no matter what. I was also told that if our kids were in the kids club and we were not back yet they would wait as long as possible before leaving.

And would Royal Caribbean also allow the parents to go ashore while a child remained in the nursery?

this is not like going out at home where you are capable of returning in a flash as you will have you own transportation. no way would I ever leave anyone young enough to be in the nursery on board while I left the ship.

who asked for your opinion then? lol

Edited by Aintnofun007

Just off NAV. Everything provided above is still true about care while you go to excursions. We did not use the service but our kids had SOOO much fun there - they begged us to leave them there each day instead of going to an island! (Next time we might do just that!).

If you are on a RC excursion - they will wait for you no matter what. I was also told that if our kids were in the kids club and we were not back yet they would wait as long as possible before leaving.

Actually, that's wrong - they will not wait "no matter what." Sometimes they must vacate the port due to any number of reasons. They will, however, take care of you (meals, hotel, transportation) until you can meet up with the ship and they will assign a crew member to care for the child.

After age 9, kids have the ability to sign themselves out of AO and wander the ship - not something I'd want if I were not on the ship. It's been several years but I'll always remember a post by someone on the family boards - she and DH were set to leave the little one on board and do an excursion. DH decided last minute to not go. Kid suddenly spiked high fever with seizures and had to be airlifted off the ship. Can't even imagine the guilt the would have felt if that happened while they were off on an excursion. Child did recover.

Actually, that's wrong - they will not wait "no matter what." Sometimes they must vacate the port due to any number of reasons. They will, however, take care of you (meals, hotel, transportation) until you can meet up with the ship and they will assign a crew member to care for the child.

After age 9, kids have the ability to sign themselves out of AO and wander the ship - not something I'd want if I were not on the ship. It's been several years but I'll always remember a post by someone on the family boards - she and DH were set to leave the little one on board and do an excursion. DH decided last minute to not go. Kid suddenly spiked high fever with seizures and had to be airlifted off the ship. Can't even imagine the guilt the would have felt if that happened while they were off on an excursion. Child did recover.

Well, the shore excursion staff and the AO staff both told us that they would wait for RC Excursions no matter what. I am sure that there does become a point when they have to get off the dock, but I am reasonably confident that there is some buffer for that.

As for kids over 9, they can be self signers - and you can specify this for each check in if you want. My 8 year old was too young for this but I can see it being beneficial for a few reasons when he is 10 on our next cruise. There was at least once when I wanted to go to bed and he wanted to stay at kids club towards the end of our trip and I would have loved for him to have been a self signer! We did a few small try outs of him walking the ship alone - usually walking from our table in the dining room to the stateroom to change into kids club clothes and then meeting us back there at the sapphire exit.