Riviera extended balconies - open sided ones - any issues with wind?

Leejnd4

Hi,

We've booked 7114, which is an extended balcony B3...but after reading a bunch of threads in here about these extended balcony cabins, it appears that many people prefer the ones that are open-sided, which are the following:

7008/7009 - forward

7108/7111 - aft

At the present time all are available except 7108. I generally prefer to be aft, as I find the movement of the ship is less intense back there.

If we book 7111, which is open facing forward...are there issues with wind when you are underway? My concern is that my lovely huge balcony will be unusable during sea days due to all the buffeting, since it will be facing forward.

7008/7009 are also open on one side, but they face aft...so maybe the wind will be less of an issue with these. Can anyone share their experiences with 7008/7009? Do you think it would better to book one of the forward open-sided cabins, rather than the aft ones? Anyone got a preference either way?

Would love to get feedback! I understand these extended balcony cabins get snapped up quick, so I'm going to want to nail this down asap.

Thanks!

I can only say we were in 7114 & the salt spray on deck even the chairs up by the doors some days was not good

I can only imagine the spray one would get on the aft open sided balconies

just something to think about

I can only say we were in 7114 & the salt spray on deck even the chairs up by the doors some days was not good

I can only imagine the spray one would get on the aft open sided balconies

just something to think about

Good to know! So would you recommend the forward open-ended cabin instead? On that one, the open side faces aft so perhaps that one doesn't get as much buffeting or salt spray...but I'm not real keen on being forward. Still, I want to make sure I get the most comfortable balcony as we'll be in the Caribbean, and we'll have such a huge balcony...I want to maximize our enjoyment of it!

Thanks so much for your help!

Good to know! So would you recommend the forward open-ended cabin instead? On that one, the open side faces aft so perhaps that one doesn't get as much buffeting or salt spray...but I'm not real keen on being forward. Still, I want to make sure I get the most comfortable balcony as we'll be in the Caribbean, and we'll have such a huge balcony...I want to maximize our enjoyment of it!

I think it is personal preference

The balconies are not HUGE maybe 12 x 8

if you want huge you need to book one of the aft corner cabins ;)

For me I prefer the semi enclosed balcony but that is just my preference

Lyn

We had 7111 from London to Barcelona and we ABSOLUTELY loved it.

Take a look at the pics I posted : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1770253

If motion is a factor I would not consider the forward cabins. I also believe the 08&09 have a diagonal cut off that the aft do not have (shown in post #3)

The open side has the standard divider which protects from the wind & you have the extended part which is open and makes the view wider.

We had asked for some loungers and spent many quiet hours on them. I would highly recommend this cabin....it will get snatched up fast.

Hi,

We've booked 7114, which is an extended balcony B3...but after reading a bunch of threads in here about these extended balcony cabins, it appears that many people prefer the ones that are open-sided, which are the following:

7008/7009 - forward

7108/7111 - aft

At the present time all are available except 7108. I generally prefer to be aft, as I find the movement of the ship is less intense back there.

If we book 7111, which is open facing forward...are there issues with wind when you are underway? My concern is that my lovely huge balcony will be unusable during sea days due to all the buffeting, since it will be facing forward.

7008/7009 are also open on one side, but they face aft...so maybe the wind will be less of an issue with these. Can anyone share their experiences with 7008/7009? Do you think it would better to book one of the forward open-sided cabins, rather than the aft ones? Anyone got a preference either way?

Would love to get feedback! I understand these extended balcony cabins get snapped up quick, so I'm going to want to nail this down asap.

Thanks!

When are you sailing? We're in 7114 this July in the Med. Balcony "bulkheads" fore and aft should keep things fairly calm relative to the rest of the balconies.

I think it is personal preference

The balconies are not HUGE maybe 12 x 8

if you want huge you need to book one of the aft corner cabins ;)

For me I prefer the semi enclosed balcony but that is just my preference

Lyn

12X8 is big enough for me! it's certainly bigger than the standard ones. I like to lounge on my balcony, but you can't even fit a lounger on the standard veranda balconies. So I'm thrilled to be able to snag an extended one.

I WISH I could get the corner aft cabin, but those appear to be PHs, which puts it out of my budget.

We had 7111 from London to Barcelona and we ABSOLUTELY loved it.

Take a look at the pics I posted : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1770253

If motion is a factor I would not consider the forward cabins. I also believe the 08&09 have a diagonal cut off that the aft do not have (shown in post #3)

The open side has the standard divider which protects from the wind & you have the extended part which is open and makes the view wider.

We had asked for some loungers and spent many quiet hours on them. I would highly recommend this cabin....it will get snatched up fast.

GREAT pictures! That seals the deal -- I just emailed my TA and asked her to move us to 7111. Thanks so much!

When are you sailing? We're in 7114 this July in the Med. Balcony "bulkheads" fore and aft should keep things fairly calm relative to the rest of the balconies.

LOL not until January. :o I like to plan early! And by booking early I'm more likely to snag the good cabins. My husband always teases me that I experience my cruises for an entire year. He's right!

Don't forget to ask your Seward, or Customer Services for proper loungers for your extended balcony. We had 7114 last year. No problems. We also prefer to be aft.

Compared to other balconies, they are definitely HUGE!!! :D

Don't forget to ask your Seward, or Customer Services for proper loungers for your extended balcony. We had 7114 last year. No problems. We also prefer to be aft.

Compared to other balconies, they are definitely HUGE!!! :D

Thanks! We will definitely ask for proper loungers. In fact we'll have our TA contact them in advance and hopefully get loungers out there before we board.

Just heard back from my TA - she got us 7111. So now I can move on from cabin-location research to all the other research I will need to do for this cruise. Which I find almost as fun as going on the cruise itself! That's how I manage to extend the experience for each and every one of my cruises to a full year of enjoyment. :D

We were recently in a forward Vista suite. Prior to sailing every day crew members came in to tie down the furniture Definitely windy while at sea. However, when docked the view was magnificent!

I imagine being at the bow would definitely be windy! I've always loved aft cabins, for the ability to sit out there comfortably while underway and watch the sea undulate behind us. I would love to get one of the aft cabins on Riviera, but apparently they are all PH or above, which is currently out of the budget. Although if we get a reasonable offer for an upsell to a PH, we'll probably jump on it!

I'm okay with not spending too much time out there while at sea...it's more for in port. I actually get plenty of opportunities to watch the sea go by in my regular life -- we have a sailboat that we spend weekends on. In fact we're currently in the midst of planning a huge adventure - in 2 1/2 years my husband and I are retiring and taking off on our sailboat to cruise the Pacific ocean for 5 years or so.

Which is one reason why I'm obsessing over every detail of this cruise -- it may very well be my last "luxury" vacation experience for many years...at least until we get back from our adventure.

GREAT pictures! That seals the deal -- I just emailed my TA and asked her to move us to 7111. Thanks so much!

LOL not until January. :o I like to plan early! And by booking early I'm more likely to snag the good cabins. My husband always teases me that I experience my cruises for an entire year. He's right!

That is great, those 2 aft cabins are a hot ticket. We would have loved to book that cabin again but the word is out:o

IIn fact we're currently in the midst of planning a huge adventure - in 2 1/2 years my husband and I are retiring and taking off on our sailboat to cruise the Pacific ocean for 5 years or so.

Which is one reason why I'm obsessing over every detail of this cruise -- it may very well be my last "luxury" vacation experience for many years...at least until we get back from our adventure.

That is one of the most exciting things I have ever heard! Such a wonderful trip to look forward to :)

That is one of the most exciting things I have ever heard! Such a wonderful trip to look forward to :)

Yes it is! We've been planning this for years...it's amazing to me to realize that it's coming up so soon. Still so much to do to get ready. But in the meantime I couldn't imagine NOT going out to sea for the next 2 1/2 years, so I had to book this cruise. :D

I would imagine that the likelihood of spray being blown onto a balcony would be greater in the bow of the ship than aft... I do know that we were on Deck 9 on Regent's Mariner with a huge aft-facing terrace and had no spray at all. But then 9 is not 7...

Thanks! We will definitely ask for proper loungers. In fact we'll have our TA contact them in advance and hopefully get loungers out there before we board.

Just heard back from my TA - she got us 7111. So now I can move on from cabin-location research to all the other research I will need to do for this cruise. Which I find almost as fun as going on the cruise itself! That's how I manage to extend the experience for each and every one of my cruises to a full year of enjoyment. :D

There are no guarantees of getting a proper lounger. We did same on Xmas cruise on Riviera. Cruise was jam packed and they used the excuse that they were all used. Finally asked to speak to the GM and they gave us one for our extended deck.

There are no guarantees of getting a proper lounger. We did same on Xmas cruise on Riviera. Cruise was jam packed and they used the excuse that they were all used. Finally asked to speak to the GM and they gave us one for our extended deck.

I read about some other people having issues getting loungers on their extended balconies. Our TA books a lot of O cruises and knows them well, so I'm going to ask her to contact ship services in advance to request that we get loungers out there before we board. If we don't, I will just keep asking until we do, I guess! :p

I read about some other people having issues getting loungers on their extended balconies. Our TA books a lot of O cruises and knows them well, so I'm going to ask her to contact ship services in advance to request that we get loungers out there before we board. If we don't, I will just keep asking until we do, I guess! :p

Those Lounge chairs are difficult and time consuming to maneuver through a standard cabin, and because those verandas are fire exits as well as terraces, every stick of "extra" furniture will have to be removed at the end of your cruise, as well.

By all means ask for what you need to make your cruise it's most enjoyable, but please remember that if you've asked the staff to go well above and beyond, a gratuity over and above what is "normal" might also be in line.

Personally, I would tip onboard at the time when I asked for the lounge chairs, but that is me.

Which sailing in January are you on? We're on the Riviera Jan 23rd 2016 in 7135.

Those Lounge chairs are difficult and time consuming to maneuver through a standard cabin, and because those verandas are fire exits as well as terraces, every stick of "extra" furniture will have to be removed at the end of your cruise, as well.

By all means ask for what you need to make your cruise it's most enjoyable, but please remember that if you've asked the staff to go well above and beyond, a gratuity over and above what is "normal" might also be in line.

Personally, I would tip onboard at the time when I asked for the lounge chairs, but that is me.

(Sitting in Martinis for happy hour as I type this)...

Precisely. We are in 7009 right now on Marina and did just this. Dropped the attendant a $20 bill for his efforts. This is the second time out of three cruises on marina that we've had this balcony and love it. Most people think it's a suite! Lol. Also we have had some chippy waves in the Tasman sea and never any sea spray though you may hear the loud bangs when the ship hits a big wave. One night they came every 5 minutes!!! Anyways the best part was lounging out there while cruising the fjords in Milford Sound. :). Going to be sad when they kick us off in 2 days. It's been a wonderful cruise!!!

7009 was on our short list. It wasn't available for our sailing, but 7111 was so I'm happy. Glad to hear you are enjoying your extended balcony! Looking forward to experiencing ours!

And don't worry...we understand the rules of taking care of the crew, especially when they go over and above for us. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody out there who's been in 7108 on Riviera recently, who can speak to aforementioned issues with noise from a crew elevator?

If so, overall, did you enjoy the cabin, balcony, and location?

Thanks so much.