Rentals onboard

Does anyone know if walkers with the seats attached or possible wheelchairs are available for free or for rent for the duration of a cruise? I'm taking my mom on a cruise in May right after she'll have finished chemotherapy for stage 4 cancer and as she walks fine now, I know she has a hard time standing for long periods of time and needs to sit to rest sometimes. We would really only need this item for leaving the ship when sometimes there can be long waits to catch the tenders in Grand Cayman and lines to stand in at different places. We've never had to worry about this before but I want to be prepared ahead of time and also give her some peace of mind so she can relax. Thanks!

There are no walkers or wheelchairs available for use or rent onboard. Wheelchair assistance is provided at embarkation and disembarkation if you let Royal Caribbean's Special Needs department know in advance of the cruise.

You have a few options, you can purchase or rent a walker or wheelchair at a medical supply store at a lower cost and bring it with you. Rental is usually cheaper than the following websites:

There are 2 websites, specialneedsatsea and carevacations that rent mobility equipment and will have it waiting onboard for you.

Or you can go to someplace like Walgreens and purchase a folding transport chair or walker and bring it with you.

I believe that RCI uses Special Needs at Sea for mobility rentals. Check their website under special needs or FAQ. If you use their preferred provider, the walker will be in your cabin waiting for you, and you just leave it behind when you disembark. As noted above, wheelchairs are available for embarkation and debarkation.

Congratulations to your mom! That's a big deal and a cruise is a perfect celebration! When my mom was receiving chemo she was told to think of something she was looking forward to when it was over. It really helped her to get through it. A cruise is wonderful to look forward to!!!!

congrats to your mom!

I think the wheelchairs and such are very expensive to rent. I think like $200 a week or something. that may be an elec scooter though.its been a long time since I checked on it.

they have wheelchairs but you cant keep it for the duration of the cruise.

I believe that RCI uses Special Needs at Sea for mobility rentals. Check their website under special needs or FAQ. If you use their preferred provider, the walker will be in your cabin waiting for you, and you just leave it behind when you disembark. As noted above, wheelchairs are available for embarkation and debarkation.

They use both companies, and it is sort of a pricey option. Our local medical supply store is MUCH cheaper for a short term rental, and if I had to do it again, that's what we would do even if it means flying with the thing. A lightweight walker with seat would probably be easier to handle.

Edited by Coralc

We have used specialneedsatsea and they have been very good. The item(s) are in our cabin when we get there and we just leave them when we depart. The price is all relative when you think that a rolling walker could make your mom's trip much more enjoyable. Send an inquiry through their website and they will quote you a price for your sailing. We often have the item in the cabin "in case" it is needed and has saved my DH's cruise and my sanity more than once. The best of luck to your mom and I hope you all have an enjoyable cruise.

I just checked ebay, and I see that you can buy these -- I'm talking about the ones you see people with everywhere; you know, red or blue with a seat and a basket underneath it -- for $75ish. I was surprised. I would've thought it would've cost more.

At the worst, you could order one from ebay, have it shipped to your night-before-cruise hotel (call and make sure they accept packages on behalf of future customers), and then abandon it onboard the ship when you leave.

Two potential problems:

- I didn't check the cost of shipping on ebay.

- Do these things require assembly?

SPECIAL NEEDS:

New for us, we required a collapsible wheelchair for Dear MIL, thanks to CC we had the contact for RC special_needs@rccl.com and the outside vendor information.

Special Needs at Sea 1-800-513-4515 http://www.specialneedsatsea.com/

We also required a shower stool for MIL and RC special needs organized this, and it was ready in cabin on embarkation

Excellent service and the wheelchair for the week was $99.99 this was in the in-laws cabin on embarkation, and we left it there for collection at the end of the cruise.

Excellent service for $99.99 7 day cruise

Does anyone know if walkers with the seats attached or possible wheelchairs are available for free or for rent for the duration of a cruise? I'm taking my mom on a cruise in May right after she'll have finished chemotherapy for stage 4 cancer and as she walks fine now, I know she has a hard time standing for long periods of time and needs to sit to rest sometimes. We would really only need this item for leaving the ship when sometimes there can be long waits to catch the tenders in Grand Cayman and lines to stand in at different places. We've never had to worry about this before but I want to be prepared ahead of time and also give her some peace of mind so she can relax. Thanks!

you must procure your own mobility devices, and only using the few companies that have contracts with cruise lines, such as Special Needs at Sea

WC are ONLy available fore embarkation and debarkation or in case someone takes ill/is injure on board. ( plus the ones available suck raw eggs and are in crappy conditions and may NOT be taken off the ship)

Walgreens has push-type wheelchairs for around $80 with their free club card, and they have similar discounts on walkers. Our area has lots of second-hand stores (ARC here) that often have walkers.

congrats to your mom!

I think the wheelchairs and such are very expensive to rent. I think like $200 a week or something. that may be an elec scooter though.its been a long time since I checked on it.

they have wheelchairs but you cant keep it for the duration of the cruise.

Rented a regular wheelchair for the week on the FOS and it was only 75.00. It was in the room when we arrived and we left it in the room when we left. That was just 4 weeks ago.