What about wearing jeans - yes or no

m1k2s3

My husband and I are about to take our first cruise ever on the Riveria and we've been debating about - of all things - jeans. My husband says he wants to bring his good jeans ( he means no rips, not faded). He'd likely wear them occasionally on an excursion or with a sports jacket and collared shirt in the dining room. I say the jeans are fine to wear on the plane ( because they're comfortable) but I don't think he can wear them anywhere else.

So - who's right? Are the jeans coming on the cruise?

Anytime during the day jeans are fine on board, on excursions etc. However "casual jeans" are not permitted in the Grand Dining Room in the evenings, Jacques, Toscana, Red Ginger, Polo Grill. They are allowed in the Terrace Café in the evenings (or at least I think they are). "Dressy jeans" - not quite sure how this would apply to men though - are allowed. I have some RL yellow jeans that I have worn to dinner and no one squeaked. (or scowled!)

I would have him pack the jeans and then just not wear them to dinner...

My DH wears his jeans or shorts (temperature) everywhere except to the specialty restaurants and the MDR in the evening, even in the Terrace Café at night. Slacks, polo shirts, no jacket, no dress shirts, leather boat shoes, a sweater in case the air conditioning is turned up to freezing.

Just off the Regatta.One evening in Polo one woman had on hot pink Levis with a multi colored tee shirt with the name of the port we just left, her husband had on sport jacket and blue jeans.

We were on Riviera's TA, Barcelona/Miami in November. Most people observed the dress code. There were jeans in the Terrace Cafe, although I didn't notice any in the specialty restaurants. I didn't search them out, either.

The ambiance on O has always been attractive and relaxed, as we see it. Our next cruise is June on Insignia across the Panama Canal. it is really steamy there, so we will see how the dress code holds up. We expect tp enjoy ourselves no matter how other people dress. The Canal is fascinating, as is Costa Rica,

Mary

We were on Riviera's TA, Barcelona/Miami in November. Most people observed the dress code. There were jeans in the Terrace Cafe, although I didn't notice any in the specialty restaurants. I didn't search them out, either.

The ambiance on O has always been attractive and relaxed, as we see it. Our next cruise is June on Insignia across the Panama Canal. it is really steamy there, so we will see how the dress code holds up. We expect tp enjoy ourselves no matter how other people dress. The Canal is fascinating, as is Costa Rica,

Mary

Just off the Miami to Lima fantastic cruise through the Panama canal.The weather was 80 to 90 degrees but very pleasant.Dress for dinner was 70-40 jacket for men,especially in Polo and Toscana.Dress code in the GDR a little more casual.Great cruise.

My husband and I are about to take our first cruise ever on the Riveria and we've been debating about - of all things - jeans. My husband says he wants to bring his good jeans ( he means no rips, not faded). He'd likely wear them occasionally on an excursion or with a sports jacket and collared shirt in the dining room. I say the jeans are fine to wear on the plane ( because they're comfortable) but I don't think he can wear them anywhere else.

So - who's right? Are the jeans coming on the cruise?

On my cruises no one was asked to leave the GDR who was wearing jeans. Whether the non-enforcement of the dress code was a long term fluke or not, I don't know. The one person I saw who was asked to leave a restaurant showed up in shorts and a tshirt.

On my cruises no one was asked to leave the GDR who was wearing jeans. Whether the non-enforcement of the dress code was a long term fluke or not, I don't know. The one person I saw who was asked to leave a restaurant showed up in shorts and a tshirt.

We have seen several people wearing Blue jeans sent to the Terrace but not those in neat black jeans. It does seem to vary with who is at the MDR Seating people.

Just off the Miami to Lima fantastic cruise through the Panama canal.The weather was 80 to 90 degrees but very pleasant.Dress for dinner was 70-40 jacket for men,especially in Polo and Toscana.Dress code in the GDR a little more casual.Great cruise.

opps 80-20

Thanks everyone for your help. Looks like the jeans are coming on this trip. And to IFlyHarder - denim or cotton, thongs have never looked good on us. lol

Happy cruising all

We just had same experience on 30 night cruise on nautica

Jeans were permitted in gdr

We did not see anyone in jeans in specialties while we were there but we were only there 7 nights of 30

I've heard good looking jeans are now OK in the Grand Dining Room (no workman jeans or coveralls). But, I personally have never seen them, and while I mostly wear jeans at home in rural Central Florida, I would never consider wearing them for dinner on Oceania.

I think this topic has been discussed before, but from my observations you could wear jeans if they "worked" and were classy - and by that I mean you look liked you tried to look good (and succeeded). This is kind of the look I go for (as a late 30's guy on a very much older crowd ship). Usually I wear khaki's and a nice button up with a sport coat and some loafers but when I'm feeling rebellious. LOL

Seriously - I think the key here is to just look nice and somewhat composed - not formal, but what you would wear to the office on a business casual day... I've seen so many people who "adhered" to the dress code who looked pretty "frumpy"... I think the thing we have to realize with O is that very few people are going to show up in shorts and flip flops for dinner - most will give it a college try. And for those who don't and who are eating next to you - say hi - you might be surprised how amazing those people are despite the clothes. O does a good job of enforcing dress codes, but that's not why we are cruising, right?

220d95ab9073a148e1d7c63c4bc2a2f9.jpg.c8033e8e542c643ff26b194b97ff670c.jpg

Edited by corpkid

I was on the same cruise as Corpkid above, and personally saw men wearing jeans, on multiple evenings, turned away from the GDR. Every pair of jeans the men were wearing I would have definitely classified as casual.

Why is no jeans, in the GDR and specialties, such a hard issue for people. Wear them to Terrace, if you must, it's OK there.

I was on the same cruise as Corpkid above, and personally saw men wearing jeans, on multiple evenings, turned away from the GDR. Every pair of jeans the men were wearing I would have definitely classified as casual.

Why is no jeans, in the GDR and specialties, such a hard issue for people. Wear them to Terrace, if you must, it's OK there.

Saw the same thing - but those were some REALLY casual (e.g. just got back from shore) looking folks. Again, the spirit of the rule is you make an attempt to look good for the dining experience. :)

I think this topic has been discussed before, but from my observations you could wear jeans if they "worked" and were classy - and by that I mean you look liked you tried to look good (and succeeded). This is kind of the look I go for (as a late 30's guy on a very much older crowd ship). Usually I wear khaki's and a nice button up with a sport coat and some loafers but when I'm feeling rebellious. LOL

I think what you are saying is that if you look like George Clooney you can wear a blazer and jeans... come to think of it I do hope George Clooney is on our cruise!!

I think what you are saying is that if you look like George Clooney you can wear a blazer and jeans... come to think of it I do hope George Clooney is on our cruise!!

If you look like George Clooney you can wear cutoff jeans and a tie-dye tank top and still probably look great! LOL We are not George Clooney for better or worse and a fair bit of effort is advised :)

Some people wearing "appropriate" clothing look like they rolled out of bed! I think the rule should be (as subjective as it is) "dress nicely". I could wear some crumpled old cargo or khakis and a wrinkled polo untucked and be let in - no jeans though. LOL I'm just observing what I saw a few days ago on Marina. I personally don't care too much so long as it's not obnoxiously under dressed (again, we wear a sport coat and khakis)... I'm not there to look at other people. I'm there to enjoy the company I am with and the cuisine.

I'm not judgmental about clothing since I am often casual ... then again, sometimes I like to dress up. No, not a taffeta formal gown, but a long dress at least ... probably on the cocktail or casual side, but long.

I haven't noticed people who are really overly casual in any of the restaurants. In Terrace, yes ... but that's where you go if you don't want to get even mildly gussied up.

I still remember the first time cruiser (this was a few years ago) with whom we shared a table in the GDR on Marina. One of his first questions was: do I have to wear a suit?

To which I said, no. He never did again. (We saw him the next night in Polo and he was doing without the jacket or tie ... he did have pants on, however! And a shirt.) He looked much happier.

He probably would have been even happier if he'd known that the dress code on O is less formal than it is on some other ships ... But he wasn't on CC and no one told him.

Mura