Stockholm Advice thread 2015

http://www.flygbussarna.se/en/arlanda

At the airport

•Flygbussarna ticket machines at our bus stops at T5, T4 and T2, and in the arrivals halls at T5 and T4.

•7-Eleven and Pressbyrån

•7-Eleven T5, open Monday–Sunday 07:00–23:00

•7-Eleven T4, open Monday–Friday 05:00–24:00, Saturday & Sunday 07:00–24:00

•Pressbyrån T5, open Monday–Sunday 07:00–23:00, Saturday 08:00–23:00

•Swedavia's information desk at Terminals 2, 4 and 5. Outside opening hours, it is possible to buy tickets with cash on the ground floor by the parking office in Terminal 5

At Cityterminalen

•Ticket machines by gates 2, 3 & 5

•The Flygbussarna ticket desk is open Monday–Sunday 03:15–19:30, Saturday until 19:00. We accept payment in euro, pounds, dollars, and Norwegian, Danish and Swedish crowns.

•Pressbyrån, open Monday–Sunday 05:00–23:00

•CityButiken, open Monday–Sunday 04:00–22:00

There is also a new competing company that also runs airport coaches.

They call themselves Air Shuttle: http://www.airshuttle.se/?lang=en

• 2 weeks later...

I read a lot of reviews on the Stockholm Card, but have seen next to nothing on the MyStockholmPass. See http://www.mystockholmpass.com/

We will be in Stockholm for 2 whole days on the Eurodam in August (arrive 7AM the first day, depart 4PM the second). According to the information I have found, we will dock at Stadsgarden S167.

The MyStockholmPass includes the Stromma HoHo boats which has a stop right next to S167, so it looks very convenient. It also includes a HoHo bus (which I have read generally poor reviews for), but does not include public transportation. Whereas the Stockholm Card does include public transportation but not the HoHo boats.

The price is 645 SEK for the 2 days and includes most of the major museums and attractions, just like the Stockholm Card (except for the ABBA museum, but I don't think we would do that anyway).

So has anyone used the MyStockholmPass? If so, were the HoHo boats an efficient transportation to the major sites? Any problem using the card at attractions? How would you rate the value?

Thanks for any information!

So has anyone used the MyStockholmPass? If so, were the HoHo boats an efficient transportation to the major sites? Any problem using the card at attractions? How would you rate the value?

Thanks for any information!

I have not used it but I can offer some input.

The issue with the HoHo boats and buses is that they do not go point to point.

The boats goes in a clockwise circle starting at Nybroplan and then are going Vasa-Allmänna Gränd (Djugården), Skeppsholmen, Stadgården and a few more stops before reaching the royal palace.

This will take almost 45-50 minutes from the time you board the boat at Vasa.

Public transport will likely be quicker and while the harbour ferry does not go all the way to the Royal Palace it will still be quicker then HoHo boats and buses.

And the harbour ferry will drop you off at Gamla Stan's southern tip so you can walk through Gamla Stan on your way to the Royal Palace.

So public transport is allot more flexible then HoHo boats/buses.

Read the first post for detailed instructions regarding

We arrive in Stockholm at 2 p.m. next Saturday, and board our ship the next morning. We will be taking the Arlanda Express from the airport to Central station, and staying at the Radisson Blu Viking. Will there be anywhere close by (or at the airport) to pick up a couple of bottles of wine for the cruise? I had heard the liquor stores close early on Saturday and aren't open on Sunday.

Will there be anywhere close by (or at the airport) to pick up a couple of bottles of wine for the cruise? I had heard the liquor stores close early on Saturday and aren't open on Sunday.

The nearest place is over 8km away and I doubt you will make it there before closing time.

https://www.google.se/maps/dir/Arlanda,+Stockholm-Arlanda/Systembolaget,+Nym%C3%A4rsta+kulle+3,+195+30+M%C3%A4rsta,+Sverige/@59.6359611,17.8790625,14z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x465f9d63c32d83fd:0x52f895a27e4e5c33!2m2!1d17.923781!2d59.649762!1m5!1m1!1s0x465fbc1504314dbf:0xf8ece4d23cc18fd2!2m2!1d17.857328!2d59.621097!3e3

However can you not buy some wine before you depart from Canada or at the airport where you have a stopover?

In that case read this first:

http://www.tullverket.se/en/travellers/travellingtosweden/alcohol/alcoholfromacountryoutsidetheeu.4.16ca6de0120cf835feb80002030.html

http://www.tullverket.se/en/travellers/travellingtosweden/alcohol/alcoholfromanothereucountry.4.16ca6de0120cf835feb80002020.html

We will be on Regent Seven Seas Voyager which stops in Stockholm on Friday, Sept. 25th. The original itinerary had us there from 8 am to 5 pm ... however, it has been changed and we are only there from 9:50 am to 3:15 pm - yuck! The scheduled pier is Frimhamnen but I suppose that could change, too!

Although Regent provides some excursions, we are wanting to do the Rooftop tour. I have contacted the company and they don't offer any groups on that day. However, they are willing to book a private tour for us. Are you familiar with this tour at all?

With such a short time in port, would it be best to take a taxi to and from Gamla Stan (where the tour leaves from?)

My husband really isn't a museum lover and we just did an Ice Bar in Grand Cayman - I doubt there is much difference from Ice Bar to Ice Bar.

Any suggestions or input would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Some info regarding The Vasa museum.

In the Q & A section it is mentioned that the queues are short in the afternoon but sometimes when there are very long queues they have a dedicated

line for visitors with the Stockholm card or those who have bought entrance tickets from the ticket machines in the entrance to the museum.

Also even if there are queues they say it usually don't take more then 15-20 minutes to get into the museum.

http://forum.vasamuseet.se/org/vasamuseet/d/stockholmskortet-3/

Edited by Desdichado62

We will be on Regent Seven Seas Voyager which stops in Stockholm on Friday, Sept. 25th. The original itinerary had us there from 8 am to 5 pm ... however, it has been changed and we are only there from 9:50 am to 3:15 pm - yuck! The scheduled pier is Frimhamnen but I suppose that could change, too!

Although Regent provides some excursions, we are wanting to do the Rooftop tour. I have contacted the company and they don't offer any groups on that day. However, they are willing to book a private tour for us. Are you familiar with this tour at all?

With such a short time in port, would it be best to take a taxi to and from Gamla Stan (where the tour leaves from?)

My husband really isn't a museum lover and we just did an Ice Bar in Grand Cayman - I doubt there is much difference from Ice Bar to Ice Bar.

Any suggestions or input would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

First thing first, your ship is the only ship in port that day and the general tourist season will be well over by the end of September.

Your ship also only accommodates 700 passengers so Vasa museum and Old Town shouldn't be particular crowded.

So perhaps a taxi from the pier to the Vasa museum, then harbour ferry from Allmänna Gränd (see first post) to Slussen quay, do Gamla Stan/your tour and then taxi back to ship.

This way you don't need to spend time on acquiring bus tickets and by going with the harbour ferry (Djurgårdsfärjan) you will be give the opportunity to see Stockholm from the water.

---

If you want info about the Official SL ticket app for buses/trams click the paper clip from the board index. http://www.ladda-upp.se/image.php?id=155790&size=full

Edited by Desdichado62

Thanks for all the info. does it make sense to take the ferry to the Abba Museum?? we are coming in on the Holland Eurodam Sept 2

Your ship will dock in Frihamnen so it's bus+tram for you.,

Use the SL travel planner linked in the first post to find connections, from Frihamnen to Liljevalchs/Gröna Lund. However dont think that schedules for bus/tram in September are available yet.

Edited by Desdichado62

Thank you for the reply.

We were able to secure the shore excursion through Regent to the Vasa Museum and a city highlights tour ... this eliminates the need for planning on our own.

Safe travels,

Sharon

Hi We will be docking at Staadsgarten 167 where you indicate the HOHO boats are right there to go directly to the Vasa. I see there are two companies, the Red and the Stromma. Which is it that you are saying to get on to go directly to the Vasa?

thanks

Both companies should go directly to Vasa, but perhaps someone who have experience can tell us what company they used (white or red boats).

Time allocation for Vasa? I'd say 1,5-2 hours if you want to see it properly. Like see the short film, do the free guided tour and some exploring on your own.

It's quite an extensive museum with allot more on exhibition then just the ship.

Thanks for all your efforts to assist us tourists in your city!

I have a few questions that I cannot see answered in context with my plan for our visit please.

Our ship X Eclipse arrives @ 9am on 3/8 @ Stadsgarden and sails @ 4pm so we would need to be back at the ship by 3 pm.

We intend making our way following the red line to the HOHO boat to take us directly to the Vasa. Spend aprox 1.30 hr @ Vasa.

Catch Bus #76 and get off at the Royal Palace(aprox how long will this trip take?)

Walk to City Hall and join a tour (I can't seem to find how long the tours take?)

After the tour we would go back to the palace to hopefully see the changing of the guard parade.

Is this backtracking too much to see the parade?

Do you have any suggestions for a "lunch stop" in that vicinity please?

I would expect we would have aprox one hour left before walking back to the ship. Is there anything else you would advise as a "must see" we could slot into that time frame?

Please feel free to advise if my plan is "doable" or should be altered.

Regards,

Lynn

Edited by lara h

We are walkers. We took the metro up to T-centralen (central station), walked through the main city square (which is a good tourist attraction in itself) to the black tram line, and that takes us to Vasa. One stop away from T-centralen is also the opera house, which is right across the bridge from the royal palace. I know nothing about the HOHO boat; never took it.

Incidentally, if your trip is chock full of castles and churches, the Abba museum is a good change of pace. That is on the same tram line as Vasa, one stop away. Two doors down from Abba are a bunch of good lunch options.

Thanks for all your efforts to assist us tourists in your city!

I have a few questions that I cannot see answered in context with my plan for our visit please.

Our ship X Eclipse arrives @ 9am on 3/8 @ Stadsgarden and sails @ 4pm so we would need to be back at the ship by 3 pm.

We intend making our way following the red line to the HOHO boat to take us directly to the Vasa. Spend aprox 1.30 hr @ Vasa.

1. Catch Bus #76 and get off at the Royal Palace(aprox how long will this trip take?)

2. Walk to City Hall and join a tour (I can't seem to find how long the tours take?)

After the tour we would go back to the palace to hopefully see the changing of the guard parade.

3. Is this backtracking too much to see the parade?

4. Do you have any suggestions for a "lunch stop" in that vicinity please?

I would expect we would have aprox one hour left before walking back to the ship. Is there anything else you would advise as a "must see" we could slot into that time frame?

5. Please feel free to advise if my plan is "doable" or should be altered.

Regards,

Lynn

1. it is hard to say. You will need to buy bus tickets before getting on the bus. I don't know if the restaurant/café next to the bridge sells tickets.

There used to be a kiosk at that location but it has been replaced by the restaurant.

There is also a grill called Strand grill located next to the bus/tram stop that is selling tickets.

https://www.google.com/maps/@59.331644,18.092477,3a,79.7y,338.01h,76.99t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s4vHT6dAObEF21ISW64RSiw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Once on the bus, the journey takes about 10-15 minutes depending on traffic.

Also except multiple stops for photographing. ;)

However if you can't find anywhere to buy tickets, you can use the official SL tickets app to buy tickets.

2. I don't know either but I would expect maybe 45-60 minutes or something like that.

3. Judge for yourself:

However if you are intending to go directly to City Hall directly after Vasa, you will likely miss the parade.

On Monday August 3rd, the parade start at 11.35 and the changing of the guards happens at 12.15

http://www.forsvarsmakten.se/siteassets/2-var-verksamhet/hogvakten/vaktparad-med-musik-juli-december.pdf

4. I am terrible at Stockholm restaurants/lunch places. There are plenty of restaurants and cafés in Gamla Stan though.

See these link for a selection of cafés and restaurants:

http://www.restaurangkartan.se/Gamla_stan/

http://thatsup.se/stockholm/article/b%C3%A4sta-lunchrestaurangerna-i-gamla-stan/

http://ng.se/artiklar/de-tio-basta-lunchrestaurangerna-i-gamla-stan

Have in mind though that most restaurants in Gamla Stan are very pricey.

5. I don't want to tell you what to do, however it almost feels like you likely won't have time to do both Gamla Stan+City Hall or at least it will be very tight.

Vasa will take at least 2 hours including transports. Then you only have 4 hours remaining in which you will transport yourself to City Hall back to Gamla Stan,

see Gamla Stan, have lunch and get back to the ship by 15.00.

We are walkers. We took the metro up to T-centralen (central station), walked through the main city square (which is a good tourist attraction in itself) to the black tram line, and that takes us to Vasa. One stop away from T-centralen is also the opera house, which is right across the bridge from the royal palace. I know nothing about the HOHO boat; never took it.

The trams is/was a good suggestion for those who arrived to Centralstation from Nynäshamn.

However due to works with square (Sergelstorg) and works with tram, the tram only goes to Kungsträdgården which is a little bit further away then the tram stop at Hamngatan.

When everything is finished in a couple of years, the tram will go all the way to the central station.

We didn't see any construction at sergelstorg? We didn't mind the walking, since that route was interesting in itself. The tram stopped right at Vasa/Norsk Museet.

It has been going on since 2012, so the trams only goes to Kungsträdgården until sometime in 2018.

https://www.ss.se/2015/05/kungstradgarden-andhallplats-i-city-tills-vidare/

http://bygg.stockholm.se/Alla-projekt/sergelstorg/

Edited by Desdichado62

Have changed plans from Hoho boat and now need some guidance.

1. Google maps is saying i can do this to get from the ship to Vasa

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Masthamnen,+Sweden/Vasa+Museum,+Gal%C3%A4rvarvsv%C3%A4gen,+Stockholm,+Sweden/@59.3223644,18.0727478,14z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m18!4m17!1m5!1m1!1s0x465f78066ffb20a3:0x9bca7312964b646d!2m2!1d18.1066022!2d59.3157873!1m5!1m1!1s0x465f9d546d8329af:0xcff09af1b4c13241!2m2!1d18.0913964!2d59.3280233!2m3!6e0!7e2!8j1438593600!3e3

But here

http://www.sales.vikingline.com/en/destinations/sweden/stockholm/experience-stockholm/boat-transfer-with-ms-emelie/

it appears it's an add-on to a Viking Cruise so not sure if we can use it.

I don't think Red Hoho does single tickets to Vasa and have seen people saying that Stromma doesn't seem to be particularly organised so i don't know what i should do if we can't catch the ferry.

2. After Vasa we're planning to get the 69 from Djurgardsbron to near the City Hall, then later on (probably more than two hours) get the 53 from Telegrafgrand 1A back to the ship.

I've found two convenient ticket locations on the map:

Royal Kiosken

Djurgårdsvägen 2, 11 521 Stockholm

and

Grace Gunnarson Tobak

Trångsund 2A, 11 129 Stockholm

so was planning on getting a pair of Zone A tickets each time; though if we had to get the bus to Vasa i think a 24 hour travel card may be a better option (only 7 sek more expensive than 3 Zone A's).

Thanks for any help.

Edited by ep1987

I don't think it is a Viking cruises only, masthamnen (Stadsgården S167) is listed on the official time table:

http://ressel.se/pdf/2015_Tidtabell_Emelie_sv.pdf

note that on Tuesdays the 09.28 (09.20) departure is cancelled because of maintenance.

Also royal kiosken does not exist anymore, there is a café/restaurant there now, I don't know if they sell tickets, if not you should be able to buy them at Strand grill (Gatukök/grill kiosk) the bus stop.

I don't think it is a Viking cruises only, masthamnen (Stadsgården S167) is listed on the official time table:

http://ressel.se/pdf/2015_Tidtabell_Emelie_sv.pdf

note that on Tuesdays the 09.28 (09.20) departure is cancelled because of maintenance.

Also royal kiosken does not exist anymore, there is a café/restaurant there now, I don't know if they sell tickets, if not you should be able to buy them at Strand grill (Gatukök/grill kiosk) the bus stop.

Thankyou so much for the quick reply.

We're in Stockholm on Monday 3 August so the 09.28 should be running; i guess i was just worried because i've never seen the ferry option mentioned before (searched the thread for Masthamnen).

Will put a note on my tablet to get the Zone A tickets for City Hall at Strand :-)

Edit: I assume that below the prices for the ferry it means that the only cards accepted are Visa and Mastercard; not that you can't use cash and have to use one of those.

Edited by ep1987