Koningsdam delayed

TylerRose

This is a perfect example of why I avoid new ships for at least six months from the "premiere" (whatever!) voyage.

Even though it's still a year away and possibly unlikely that too many people have already bought plane tickets, if tickets have been purchased and they didn't buy travel insurance or paid with certain credit cards, they're stuck with having to pay the change fee and any difference in fare to change their tickets. I understand the fee to change is now $200 per ticket. Hard for people on a budget. Add to the fact that it's pretty easy to find an advance purchase fare to Florida from many east coast cities around the $200 point, they may have to end up buying new tickets.

Another reason to buy travel insurance and look very closely at what the insurance covers.

This is a perfect example of why I avoid new ships for at least six months from the "premiere" (whatever!) voyage.

Even though it's still a year away and possibly unlikely that too many people have already bought plane tickets, if tickets have been purchased and they didn't buy travel insurance or paid with certain credit cards, they're stuck with having to pay the change fee and any difference in fare to change their tickets. I understand the fee to change is now $200 per ticket. Hard for people on a budget. Add to the fact that it's pretty easy to find an advance purchase fare to Florida from many east coast cities around the $200 point, they may have to end up buying new tickets.

Another reason to buy travel insurance and look very closely at what the insurance covers.

I agree in theory with your thoughts on not wanting to be on the early cruises of a new ship.

But you do realize the Koningsdam's first cruises depart from Europe, not Florida. And except in certain circumstances you cannot buy air (at least from US to Europe) more than 11 calendar months in advance....so I doubt many people have been affected when it comes to tickets. I assume that's why HAL made the announcement when they did -- i.e., to avoid having this happen.

So do any "normal" people get invited for the March 31 sailing?

There is no 31 March sailing, this is the date of the official handing over to HAL, there may be some sailing involved, this is usually with press/officials/professionals of the travel industry.

In fact, where is the newbuild supposed to be christened? I don't think I have read anything about that as well!

There is a short clip of a ceremony on YouTube. I don't know if it is just a launching ceremony. But interesting.

Well the Hal Blog has nice article and short video. MS Koningsdam is out of dry dock and floating.

http://www.hollandamericablog.com/2015/03/06/newbuild-milestone-koningsdam-floated-out-at-fincantieri-shipyard/

The ms Koningsdam was 'floated out' of drydock on February 25th., six months & three days after the keel started to be laid on August 22, 2014! :)

I agree in theory with your thoughts on not wanting to be on the early cruises of a new ship.

But you do realize the Koningsdam's first cruises depart from Europe, not Florida. And except in certain circumstances you cannot buy air (at least from US to Europe) more than 11 calendar months in advance....so I doubt many people have been affected when it comes to tickets. I assume that's why HAL made the announcement when they did -- i.e., to avoid having this happen.

Admittedly, the first sailings did slip my mind. And I knew that you can't buy air tickets less than eleven months out. I worked for an airline for six years.

However, we both know that there are diehard folks on this side of the planet that have already booked the ship's first few trips that are going to have to be rescheduled. Unless my counting is all wrong, we are well into the eleven month limit, so tickets could be bought by now for the first couple of cruises. As you most likely know, the earlier you book the cheaper it is when it comes to plane tickets. I know that the numbers of people who have bought tickets by now is probably very low, however, those who have may be in for a real surprise since it usually costs far more than $200 to change tickets to Europe.

For those people, it's gonna suck.

Admittedly, the first sailings did slip my mind. And I knew that you can't buy air tickets less than eleven months out. I worked for an airline for six years.

However, we both know that there are diehard folks on this side of the planet that have already booked the ship's first few trips that are going to have to be rescheduled. Unless my counting is all wrong, we are well into the eleven month limit, so tickets could be bought by now for the first couple of cruises. As you most likely know, the earlier you book the cheaper it is when it comes to plane tickets. I know that the numbers of people who have bought tickets by now is probably very low, however, those who have may be in for a real surprise since it usually costs far more than $200 to change tickets to Europe.

About five years ago we were booked on a Ryndam cruise to the Western Caribbean. About six months before the cruise, our PCC called to inform us that our cruise had been chartered and we would no longer be able to sail that particular cruise. They offered us a $ 100 obc and offered to pick up any change fees that we incurred when changing our air arrangements. We selected another cruise and because we were flying Southwest there were no penalties. The new air arrangements were less expensive and we ended up receiving a credit from Southwest, so we did not need to take advantage of HAL's offer.

Not sure if this policy is still in still in place.

the first sailing I had on the FCL was in February. Had I been booked, I would have used FF miles and had to pay to cancel.

So yes, some people would have booked. totally agree. and those people that had the foresight will pay the price. doesn't seem fair to me.

absolutely some will be having charges and the obc wouldn't cover it.

Edited by kazu

The original "premier" cruise was to depart February 20th, 2016.

As of today, I can only see availability on flights through February 2, 2016. Are there people who can book flights earlier than that (e.g., through an agent?)

:confused:

Edited by cruisemom42

This is the second cruise in two months they have cancelled on us! Makes me reconsider planning so far in advance on future bookings.

On another note, when looking at other Koningsdam cruises to switch our booking to, it seems they have added more Family Ocean-view Staterooms. Appropriately, it seems they have changed this category title from "Suite" to "Stateroom". Previously there were only a handful and all forward. Now it seems there are several throughout all areas of Main Deck (or whatever it is called on this ship). We are not particularly interested in this cabin type, but it makes me wonder what other subtle changes are being made and if that factors in to the delay.

We were the first paying passengers on that 3-day innaugural/premier voyage. The next 10 days were just a regular cruise named Norway and Scotland.

Does this add to the confusion? ;-)

I was on that cruise, too, and what's really funny is how they list it in my cruise history!!!!! :D

Jul 02, 2008 ms Eurodam Greece/Turkey 3

LOL! Greece/Turkey. 3 Days. With the VERY NEXT cruise being:

Jul 05, 2008 ms Eurodam Europe Northern 10

LOL! When I inquired about this they didn't know what in the world was going on. Of course, at first they didn't want to give me the cruise critic. I had to given them my booking number before they even admitted that I was aboard for those 3 days from Rotterdam to Copenhagen. It's as if they didn't want us aboard, they charged us an arm-and-a-leg to be aboard, and then they ignored us while we were aboard!!!!!!!

Oh, well.

I am giving serious thought to the Koningsdam's 19-Day Premiere Voyage, now departing April 8. The new date is actually a BIG improvement for me ... Easter is March 27, so I won't miss any Lent like I would have had the Inaugural cruise been in February. After Easter is a good time for me to take some vacation. I'm going to be gone 31+ days and 5 Sundays in a row this year for the Trans-Pacific from Hong Kong to Vancouver with stops in China and, Korea, Japan, and Alaska. In 2016 a 19-day cruise sounds like it might work. April 8 will be a Friday and the cruise will end on Wednesday April 27. I would be gone just 3 Sundays with plenty of time before and after for travel.

Yes, this looks GOOD for me.

Edited by RevNeal

RevNeal

My wife and I will be on the second half of that cruise, the 15th thru the 27th. We would consider it a real hoot to visit Ephesus and sites in Istanbul with you.

Do you have any idea how 'early' the Apostleship at Sea assigns the Catholic priest on board?

Dennis

Edited by kelleherdl

The original "premier" cruise was to depart February 20th, 2016.

As of today, I can only see availability on flights through February 2, 2016. Are there people who can book flights earlier than that (e.g., through an agent?)

:confused:

Interesting. You should be able to book just shy of 12 months prior to departure. Even online. Come to think of it, Southwest doesn't allow bookings nearly that far in advance, so perhaps it's up to each airline. I know that when I worked for US Airways you could book just shy of twelve months in advance. There was a specific number of days, I just don't recall the number.

I am giving serious thought to the Koningsdam's 19-Day Premiere Voyage, now departing April 8. The new date is actually a BIG improvement for me ... Easter is March 27, so I won't miss any Lent like I would have had the Inaugural cruise been in February. After Easter is a good time for me to take some vacation. I'm going to be gone 31+ days and 5 Sundays in a row this year for the Trans-Pacific from Hong Kong to Vancouver with stops in China and, Korea, Japan, and Alaska. In 2016 a 19-day cruise sounds like it might work. April 8 will be a Friday and the cruise will end on Wednesday April 27. I would be gone just 3 Sundays with plenty of time before and after for travel.

Yes, this looks GOOD for me.

I would love it!! You give such wonderful reviews, I loved your review of the new Eurodam. Please do .... I want to cruise on her when she gets to FLL and would love to hear your thoughts especially if you cruise in an inside stateroom.

Edited by EbayCruiser

• 7 months later...
Hi everyone. Any news/updates/rumors on whether the Koningsdam will be ready for its March 30th delivery date to HAL? Only just short of five months until that date.

Check out the Holland America blog on the Koningsdam at the link below. Delivery date still lists ad March 31, 2016.

Blog link: http://www.hollandamericablog.com/category/ships/ms-koningsdam/?WT.ac=KOGblNavBlogLink