Carnival needs to up its game

yankee46

I couldn't care less about what RCCL is doing but I do like what NCL is doing with its new ships. I am very interested in sailing on the Escape. Granted I am also very excited to sail on Vista.

As a Carnival Platinum cruiser, I can honestly tell you IMHO NCL is currently offering the best product out there. They have earned my loyalty with the product they are currently offering. Just wished they had a little more variety in the Caribbean sailings during the summer, thankfully its coming!

Agreed! I love living in Minnesota, but it would be a dream to live within a day's drive of a cruise port. Some people don't know how good they have it. :)

Yes but we do! We live in Fort Myers and it is a 2 hour run to Miami or Ft Lauderdale. No worries about flights, hotels or taking a shuttle to the ship and the cost savings is amazing. Then we park in covered parking within a couple of hundred feet from the ship. With VIFP, we are first on and first off. That's what I call cruising. Now if we could only get some one to do our carry-ons. ............................. You think that's asking too much .... eh? Maybe some robots that you would not have to tip.

We been on many RC cruises, surely they are more money but you get what you pay for. We never get off a RC cruise and say the extra money wasn't worth it. I am hoping Carnivals new Vista offer better service and quality of food, I want to pay more to get better.

Never been on a RC cruise but hope to try them one day, as well as a few other lines. For now though Carnival is the best bang for my buck! Never has RC come close to Carnivals prices when we are booking. I can appreciate those of you who feel paying a $1000+ more is worth it; I simply do not believe that the extra money spent will make me enjoy an RC cruise that much more.

Yes but we do! We live in Fort Myers and it is a 2 hour run to Miami or Ft Lauderdale. No worries about flights, hotels or taking a shuttle to the ship and the cost savings is amazing. Then we park in covered parking within a couple of hundred feet from the ship. With VIFP, we are first on and first off. That's what I call cruising. Now if we could only get some one to do our carry-ons. ............................. You think that's asking too much .... eh? Maybe some robots that you would not have to tip.

It's good to know you appreciate your sweet set-up. I like the robot idea... maybe one to shovel my walk! ;)

Several posted about the reservations on Oasis & Allure. Yes, RC sends multiple emails to remind you to make reservations. We did not do this on our Oasis cruise & consequently saw no ice shows or production shows. In fact, never even got to ice skate as every time we went down there it was closed for rehearsal. Managed to get into 1 comedy show by waiting to see if people didn't show for their reservations. We were able to see the diving show - it's outside, so I guess you could always find a place to watch it.

As far as our reasons for not making reservations in advance - we were traveling with another couple from a different state & time zone. So we would have had to both get on the phone & computer together to choose date/time. For us, that wasn't the main issue, though. The main issue was that we didn't know what we would be doing on the ship, etc., so we didn't want to be tied down to doing a certain thing at a certain time. So we were disappointed that we didn't get to enjoy the shows that we were paying for, but you live & learn.

I will say that I loved the Central Park area in the evenings - very beautiful and relaxing. Pool areas were very nice. Beautiful ship.

Several posted about the reservations on Oasis & Allure. Yes, RC sends multiple emails to remind you to make reservations. We did not do this on our Oasis cruise & consequently saw no ice shows or production shows. In fact, never even got to ice skate as every time we went down there it was closed for rehearsal. Managed to get into 1 comedy show by waiting to see if people didn't show for their reservations. We were able to see the diving show - it's outside, so I guess you could always find a place to watch it.

As far as our reasons for not making reservations in advance - we were traveling with another couple from a different state & time zone. So we would have had to both get on the phone & computer together to choose date/time. For us, that wasn't the main issue, though. The main issue was that we didn't know what we would be doing on the ship, etc., so we didn't want to be tied down to doing a certain thing at a certain time. So we were disappointed that we didn't get to enjoy the shows that we were paying for, but you live & learn.

I will say that I loved the Central Park area in the evenings - very beautiful and relaxing. Pool areas were very nice. Beautiful ship.

It is listed in the daily paper you get every night what time open skating is.:)

Bill

I used to exclusively sail on Royal. I had refused to sail on Carnival because I had always assumed it was a frat party on board. Several years ago, some friends of ours convinced me to try Carnival, and I reluctantly did. Boy, was I surprised. I found that the service, food and ship experience was nearly identical to Royal. The stereotype that Carnival was a frat party at sea was a false one.

Now, I almost exclusively sail on Carnival. Their price is very competitive and, in my humble opinion, it is a nearly identical experience to Royal. Carnival's business model works for them and as long as they are making money, there is no reason to change it. Just like every other business, Carnival can't be everything to everyone all the time. They have their target audience and it works for them. I am very, very happy to give my business to Carnival and will continue to do so.

If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

It is listed in the daily paper you get every night what time open skating is.:)

Bill

My daughter and her family sailed EOTS out of Jersey and said that the skating was only open one day (either embarkation or 1st sea day...can't remember which). Does that ring true with you knowledge?

Not interested in the Oasis, it's just too big and too many people.

There's actually less crowds on an RCCL ship than a CCL one. Carnival puts 4000 people on a 130,000 GT vessel, and the Oasis puts 6000 people on a 220,000 one.

You also don't have access to all those cabins.

My daughter and her family sailed EOTS out of Jersey and said that the skating was only open one day (either embarkation or 1st sea day...can't remember which). Does that ring true with you knowledge?

I didnt really pay attention as my wife won't let me skate. I have a bad knee and she is afraid I'll get hurt. Lol

I can check my dailies and report back.

Bill

She may be correct. I only see it listed on day 3 . Once in the morning and once in the afternoon

Bill

It depends on why you pick a cruise over a land vacation in the first place.

I personally do not want to reserve shows prior to boarding along with making dinner reservations as well. Not a fan of MTD (or DD). Give late dinner (8:30 not 10:30 PM) at the same table with the same people and the same wait staff. I do not want to have to change restaurants to get a different menu each night. Nor do I see myself doing bumper cars on a ship, roller skating, flight simulator. I spent too many years in a high pressure/stressed work environment to want to have to deal with all these arrangements. Sometimes we are a group of 3 or we can be a group of 5. With Carnival, we just make sure our reservations are linked together. We do not use the same travel agent, nor do we live near each other. Too much coordination would be required.

I do like to see a movie and have a nightly show to go to. I enjoy Carnival's comedy clubs and deck parties and the occasional late night buffets. Love all the sea day activities on Carnival vs. RCCL who tends to schedule bingo as many times as possible!

Not happy with the direction RCCL decided to go in. I am Diamond level and hoped that once I had attained that level, I would see me booking more sailings. We were originally planning to do the 12/1/14 Quantum sailing but the lack of info in the ship did sit well with us. Good thing we didn't go with them but switched over to Carnival instead.

MARAPRINCE

That would be a shame. You would never believe there were 6000 people on the Oasis class.

Every thing is choreographed very well.

Bill

They do a really gods job, especially getting people on and off the ship.

You could've made your best guess for reservations and if it worked out that you weren't doing anything else you would be able to see what ever you reserved. It wouldn't tie you down any because you're not obligated you show up, but might have worked out in your favor.

Personally, I don't care too much about Oasis. Neat as it is, to us it's just a giant tub that can't hardly go anywhere. If I lived in Florida already, then it might make more sense in being a destination in and of itself, or maybe catch it in Europe.

Not true at all. Most ports have upgraded just to accommodate ships like Allure and Oasis...as thats where the future is going.

Not true at all. Most ports have upgraded just to accommodate ships like Allure and Oasis...as thats where the future is going.

I'm in favor if that's true, but "Most" would mean 51%. Below are the ports they're currently sailing to. Does anyone know who else has converted, or in the process? Maybe they'll station a new one in Asia?

Ft. Lauderdale

Nassau

St. Thomas

St. Maarten

Labadee

Falmouth

Cozumel

Barcelona, Spain

Malaga, Spain

Rome

Naples, Italy

Palma De Mallorca, Balearic Islands

Marseille, France

La Spezia, Italy

Personally, I don't care too much about Oasis. Neat as it is, to us it's just a giant tub that can't hardly go anywhere. If I lived in Florida already, then it might make more sense in being a destination in and of itself, or maybe catch it in Europe.

That's just it. Those that don't see it as a destination at all probably wouldn't choose this ship.

We however think of the ship as the destination regardless of the size.

As far as our reasons for not making reservations in advance - we were traveling with another couple from a different state & time zone. So we would have had to both get on the phone & computer together to choose date/time. we were disappointed that we didn't get to enjoy the shows that we were paying for, but you live & learn.

Did you know about the interactive system in your stateroom TV? You could've made your dining and show reservations with your friends once you got on the ship right from your stateroom. Although you have the option to pre-reserve before the cruise, you don't have to. You can do it all once you get on the ship. In fact, we made reservations in advance but once we got on the ship, we switched all of them around from the TV and added a few more. We were able to see every show that we wanted and eat at all the alternative restaurants that we wanted, and there were 5,800 passengers when we sailed.

IMHO, the reservation system wasn't the culprit of your inability to enjoy "the shows that you paid for". I think that the culprit was not knowing how that system worked. As I mentioned before, I was VERY skeptical before we sailed on Allure because of this system, yet once I figured it out I realized how brilliant it is.

Edited by Tapi