Do you drink the water from your cabin tap?

Hgwells01

I didn't read the article because I figured my Skin would crawl and my butt would stink when it went past my nose. I keep telling people to buy a Katady water bottle and you can drink worldwide water from any tank, spigot or steam. You can put it in a pocket on a backpack and attach it with a snap. Have never lost one from a backpack. Drank water from a basement spigot in China.

I didn't read the article because I figured my Skin would crawl and my butt would stink when it went past my nose. I keep telling people to buy a Katady water bottle and you can drink worldwide water from any tank, spigot or steam. You can put it in a pocket on a backpack and attach it with a snap. Have never lost one from a backpack. Drank water from a basement spigot in China.

Thanks for the tip, I'm going to Google that.

Lorie

We have some of the country's nastiest water in San Diego so I'm always hesitant about drinking tap water. I'll try the ships water next time though.

If you ever take a sip of water with a meal, or ever have a drink with ice in it, you have already tried the ship's water. Most of us are drinking it without giving it a second thought. It's one topic that doesn't come up on these boards---at least not often enough to notice.

Ok we had a chat to front desk, they delivered ten large bottles of water to our staterooms, the water is inconsistent, sometimes it's light tea colored and then after a couple mins running it's clear. We saved a glass for them and stained face washer that they thanked us for and passed on to engineering, we had a visit from a plumber as we were heading out and he checked we had bottled water and we said it was all good, we don't mind what colour it is for showering and flushing but for drinking will stick with the bottled. We drank the Noordams water on our Med cruise with no problems for 22 nights last cruise and it was always clear, perhaps we just need an extra hard flush out of the pipes down our end on the Volendam.

Ok we had a chat to front desk, they delivered ten large bottles of water to our staterooms, the water is inconsistent, sometimes it's light tea colored and then after a couple mins running it's clear. We saved a glass for them and stained face washer that they thanked us for and passed on to engineering, we had a visit from a plumber as we were heading out and he checked we had bottled water and we said it was all good, we don't mind what colour it is for showering and flushing but for drinking will stick with the bottled. We drank the Noordams water on our Med cruise with no problems for 22 nights last cruise and it was always clear, perhaps we just need an extra hard flush out of the pipes down our end on the Volendam.

Nice to know they took care of you with bottled water for drinking. Our washcloths on Ryndam also turned a rusty color for that one day our water was discolored. We too had bottled water brought to the cabin after reporting it.

I'm picky, because I am spoiled by awesome water from Bull Run in the Pacific Northwest, so I usually try to drink bottled water. On the occassions when I had to use the tap water on board, it has actually been just fine. Not Bull run, but definitely OK ;-)

• 2 years later...

Have always drank the water from the taps -- never a problem.

But one time -- can't remember when -- about 4 years ago -- a ship we were on had a problem with the distillation system for a couple of days and we were told not to drink the water -- they gave us free bottles of water at meals.

Yes, I always drink tap water on HAL ships and have for many years on many ships. :)

I am not someone who always has a botte l of water in my hand but drink tons of water.

We have long had a theory that many of those folks always carrying around bottles...actually have them filled with vodka :') Come to think of it, you can buy vodka (on land) for less money then what cruise ships charge for bottled water.

Hank

A VP retail of a large oil company used to tell me that he wished he could sell as much bottled water as he did gasoline.

Customers would complain about the price of gas (in Canada) but would willingly fork over an even higher amount for a litre of water.

His margins on bottled water and junk food were much higher than those on gasoline.

I drink the tap water, but only to take my meds...really don't like the taste, or maybe it's just that it's always lukewarm. Can't ever get it cold enough. Our water here in the PNW is pretty good (and cold out of the tap), so I compare it to that.

Unfortunately, the ship's cold water piping does not have the luxury of being buried 6-10 feet underground, where it is cooled to 50*F. The water circulates through the 70+*F air conditioned spaces, the 100+*F engineering spaces, and into the tanks in the 80+*F parts of the engine room.

Unfortunately, the ship's cold water piping does not have the luxury of being buried 6-10 feet underground, where it is cooled to 50*F. The water circulates through the 70+*F air conditioned spaces, the 100+*F engineering spaces, and into the tanks in the 80+*F parts of the engine room.

Of course, and that's understandable. Only explaining why I don't care for it. I will just continue to put my water on ice. :)

After living in Florida for some time and was visiting Toronto one winter. I turned on the cold water tap in a restaurant ladies room and yelled "Whoo that's cold!" The other lady looked at me like I was from another planet. lol

After living in Florida for some time and was visiting Toronto one winter. I turned on the cold water tap in a restaurant ladies room and yelled "Whoo that's cold!" The other lady looked at me like I was from another planet. lol

That is funny. When I'm in Florida I always wondered why the cold side of the tap is room is tepid!