NEW Suite Upgrades....

I think RCI are being very clear how they are positioning their new suite class.

The tag line "Luxury That's Anything But Boring" will really hit home with a certain segment of the luxury market.

While the traditional Seabourn and Silversea market used to be just the top 3% as far as income, over the years this potential market has spread to the top 8%.

Royal is targeting the, maybe, top 15% with Sky and Star Class and maybe the top 25% with Sea Class.

Many of these are active lifestyle couples in their 30s and 40s and others are multi-generational families traveling together. This can include families where the grandparents might have wealth and could easily choose the top luxury products, the parents are affluent and could easily sail with Crystal or Azamara. But the fact that they are traveling with children and grandchildren make RCI a very good choice to satisfy the entire family.

The 'luxury' products do not appeal to this market. They want the activity level of a RCI ship, while still having an upscale cruise experience with a variety of dining choices.

As you say, they are not really competing with Seabourn or Silversea; their ships do not have the activity level of the Oasis or Quantum class RCCL ships. In any case, only Star Class offers service that is comparable to Seabourn or Silversea and, if you total the Star Class suites in all 6 ships that will have Star Class, there are fewer than 75 (11-12 in each ship). That small number cannot bother any competitors very much. However, as I said in another post, Cunard's Queen's Grill Class is a better comparable; they do have the activity level. The Queen Mary alone has 99 Queen's suites and those suites are at a similar price level to the RCCL Star Class suites. I would be very surprised if, once Star Class is rolled out and reviewed, it is rated equal to Queen's Grill class. The news release from RCCL did not mention complementary caviar, complementary French Champagne or off-menu ordering, all features of Queen's Grill service.

Edited by actuarian
Grammar

I was anxiously awaiting this announcement. It was underwhelming to me. I only get a butler if I am in the highest class? The same for specialty dining in my suite.

I'm not saying that I won't look at RCI in the future, but I was hoping for more of an incentive. Unfortunately, this has not done it for me. I guess I was hoping for a magic bullet where I would go out and immediately book a cruise. For now, I'll stick with the Haven where I can look forward to my afternoon snacks delivered by my butler no matter what suite category I stay in!

Madflyer,

I agree with some of your assessment of potential Royal target market, but what about those who routinely book RS, OS and GS on the remaining ships of the fleet.

If we compared prices of the high end suites on Oasis and Quantum class to high end suites on other ships within Royal's fleet these suites would be either the Star class or Sky class. Granted there may be some exceptions to standard pricing on Royal remain ships in the fleet, such as the Adventurer of the Seas cruise scheduled to depart on 29 March 2017, 10 night. The RS for two is costing $22,790.86, OS for two price is $13146.86. These prices are comparable to the high end suites on Oasis and Quantum, Royal's potential target, but receive none of the new Royal Suite Class.

One would wonder if this new suite class is to pick up sagging booking of high end suites on the two classes of ship? If you look at numerous offered bookings a significant high end suites are not booked.

Interesting though, the Adventure cruise I cited was released at about the end of March, as of today not one OS or RS has been booked. However, the prices have remained constant.

I for one sailed because I enjoy the ships and all the unique things RCCL constantly adds to them.

I am willing to gamble that there is a large number of people that have been waiting for perks like these at the Star level and are willing to pay a bit more for these suites.

We have sailing in the higher level of suites 2-3 times a year for the last 3 years and have been paying the premium. I am happy to see these new perks. Some will be excited to book for just for the new benefits. I was happy to book the cabin for the room we got, the perks were just the gravey. We also love Royal for their unique and progressive ships.

Madflyer,

I agree with some of your assessment of potential Royal target market, but what about those who routinely book RS, OS and GS on the remaining ships of the fleet.

If we compared prices of the high end suites on Oasis and Quantum class to high end suites on other ships within Royal's fleet these suites would be either the Star class or Sky class. Granted there may be some exceptions to standard pricing on Royal remain ships in the fleet, such as the Adventurer of the Seas cruise scheduled to depart on 29 March 2017, 10 night. The RS for two is costing $22,790.86, OS for two price is $13146.86. These prices are comparable to the high end suites on Oasis and Quantum, Royal's potential target, but receive none of the new Royal Suite Class.

One would wonder if this new suite class is to pick up sagging booking of high end suites on the two classes of ship? If you look at numerous offered bookings a significant high end suites are not booked.

Interesting though, the Adventure cruise I cited was released at about the end of March, as of today not one OS or RS has been booked. However, the prices have remained constant.

I honestly think the suite program will eventually be rolled out to all the fleet. It will have to look different on various ship classes mainly due to lack of space and overall design of the vessels. They have to start somewhere. They usually roll out a concept on a particular class then as we have seen lately they will introduce it to other classes if they see it to be feasible. Look at the new signature dining options, flow riders and even as far back as rock climbing walls.

I haven't seen anything that says they are eliminating the suite life program on other ships or even attempting to scale back what is in place. Let's face it Oasis Class and Quantum class is where they have invested most of their money and will be for a while, they have to find ways to maximize options for guests to make sure they are a success long term. As one person pointed out these large ships aren't for everyone but they can make sure that most look at them if they offer cool benefits to those that are willing to spend the money

Edited by Bdchili

Madflyer,

I have stated in other threads over the past couple of years that it has appeared to me that RCI were segmenting their products into three classes of ships. I have no inside information and base this only on observation.

This Suite Class move with Quantum and Oasis does seem to confirm that theory to some extent, but I in no way see RCI neglecting their other products.

I had called these three segments at Traditional Cruising, Enhanced Cruising and Dynamic Cruising. They have sense cancelled dynamic dining on Oasis Class.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46917787&postcount=19

There is nothing stopping RCI from also enhancing their suite benefits on other ships as well, but might just do it in a different way than on Oasis and Quantum.

:eek:Exactly, you are not loosing things but you are paying more for the same things you got previously for much less, fleet wide. Thus you are loosing money for keeping the same things. Prices have already increased fleet wide some time ago as they prepped for this. Many may feel it is worth the price. I have spoken with many people that we cruise with and many are the boomers a large retired group with lots of disposable income, are not going to pay more for the same, with the same itineraries. They can but won't, as there are other options. They were the huge base that filled the ships when the kids are in school. It looks to me that they are gaining a smaller group then they are going to loose. The super high end family cruisers do not want to do the same thing on the same ships with the same amenities year after year. They are looking for different experiences for their children to be immersed in, I know we did. So once or twice will be it for them. Then they will be on to geotreking to Iceland in the highlands, or taking private planes to places, such as Great Harbour Cay, the island just across from Royals private island. That place is beautiful, like Tahiti and no one on the beach at all. We go there often, as it is a short flight from our home.

As I said I hope it works for them. We have already moved on, hate to see them make such huge mistakes.

Bdchili,

I wish I was optimistic as you are. After my initial excitement with the Royal Suite Class, I was extremely disappointed after seeing it was for two classes of ship.

I assumed it would be gradually introduced to the entire fleet. To satisfy my curiosity I posted on Face Book and the responses was a nice way of saying, "No."

I later contacted C & A Diamond Plus line and inquired. I received a adamant, "No, the Royal Suite Class will not be offered fleet wide. I posed one more question, eventually, "NO" That lead to my final question, a variation of the Royal Suite Class, "NO."

One can hope that some day the rest of us that book suites will enjoy some added suite amenities. For now I will cruise the 4 cruises that I have booked in suites and later reevaluate where I spend my money. To make it clear I have no desire to sail on the Oasis or Quantum Class.

Edited by ltjn

I have stated in other threads over the past couple of years that it has appeared to me that RCI were segmenting their products into three classes of ships. I have no inside information and base this only on observation.

This Suite Class move with Quantum and Oasis does seem to confirm that theory to some extent, but I in no way see RCI neglecting their other products.

I had called these three segments at Traditional Cruising, Enhanced Cruising and Dynamic Cruising. They have sense cancelled dynamic dining on Oasis Class.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46917787&postcount=19

There is nothing stopping RCI from also enhancing their suite benefits on other ships as well, but might just do it in a different way than on Oasis and Quantum.

I think you are probably right. It would make sense, if you have 20+ ships of all ages and sizes to segment the fleet would offer more options for cruiser experiences.

Bdchili,

I wish I was optimistic as you are. After my initial excitement with the Royal Suite Class, I was extremely disappointed after seeing it was for two classes of ship.

I assumed it would be gradually introduced to the entire fleet. To satisfy my curiosity I posted on Face Book and the responses was a nice way of saying, "No."

I later contacted C & A Diamond Plus line and inquired. I received a adamant, "No, the Royal Suite Class will not be offered fleet wide. I posed one more question, eventually, "NO" That lead to my final question, a variation of the Royal Suite Class, "NO."

One can hope that some day the rest of us that book suites will enjoy some added suite amenities. For now I will cruise the 4 cruises that I have booked in suites and later reevaluate where I spend my money. To make it clear I have no desire to sail on the Oasis or Quantum Class.

Let's keep our fingers crossed that the people at C&A are just speaking from what they are told now. I think we both agree that they will find a way to enhance the suite options on other ships if they find it to be something that is a winner for both the passenger and RCI. Who knows once they finish building out the Oasis Class and Quantum Class they may decide to build smaller vessels like you like that are built in consideration for things like Royal Suite Class. One thing I do know for a fact things change, they always change.

Has anyone been able to confirm with RCCL that existing bookings for suites for sailing after May 2016 will receive the new benefits?

Just got off phone with RCCL. The new program applies to new bookings only. I've been booked about 6 weeks now for a cruise on Allure next Sept in a JS. They told me I would NOT get the new amenities. Said I could have my TA cancel then rebook but at the current price, which just happened to go up $500 over the weekend. Nice [emoji15]

Just got off phone with RCCL. The new program applies to new bookings only. I've been booked about 6 weeks now for a cruise on Allure next Sept in a JS. They told me I would NOT get the new amenities. Said I could have my TA cancel then rebook but at the current price, which just happened to go up $500 over the weekend. Nice [emoji15]

That's in direct contradiction to what Patti posted earlier, so perhaps tomorrow's TA webinar will shed some light. I don't know how they expect the ships to keep track of booking dates when deciding which suite gets water or CK access. But nothing would surprise me, really.

And imagine them taking the upgraded bedding out of cabins that were booked before the promotion date. Or having the Genie skip suites. I have to believe that it'll work out that all of the suites will get all of the amenities advertised.

Edited by critterchick

Not sure there will be a written confirmation on that, but if you think about it it makes sense to just transition the level of service with all suites at time of launch.

1. They will have invested the time and money to implement and it will cost additional money to figure out how to separate passengers in same category suites but different bookings based on when. (Example: if you by a first class seat on an airline and they update the equipment to new better config, they don't charge you more)

2. The actual number of people that would be involved is probably small when it comes down to it. The price point has already started creeping north and the only class that is a huge change is the Star class. In two weeks the program is officially launched and the number of suites in the a Star class is small compared to the Sky and Sea.

3. PR nightmare for RCCL to try and separate the suite passengers based on the fact people booked early. Those Star class suites are hard to get, in most cases there are fewer than 8 of any particular category on these ships. If you don't book early many times you don't get what you want. I have friends that have switched cruise dates just to get a particular category. This type of passenger usually will make a point to express their displeasure especially if they are spending 10k plus on a seven day cruise

4. While those of us on the board are extremely aware of this scenerio, the vast majority of the everyday consumers have no clue, so it's not like they had a huge spike in suite bookings 1+ years out because of this information that came out in May.

Just my thoughts

This is why I believe they will treat all suite guest the same way come May 16

I find it hard to believe they would not provide the suite perks based on when you booked. I know they do that with sale and promotional perks but suite perks? I'm thinking the rep was misinformed. By the way, what perks were added to the Junior Suites.

So I guess the stateroom attendants will have to switch out the newer pillowtop mattresses with the old mattresses (or vice versa) on turnaround day depending on when the next guest booked their cruise.

I don't buy it.

So I guess the stateroom attendants will have to switch out the newer pillowtop mattresses with the old mattresses (or vice versa) on turnaround day depending on when the next guest booked their cruise.

I don't buy it.

Nor do I. It actually would create more work for the staff and what would they do with the butler? :p

I find it hard to believe they would not provide the suite perks based on when you booked. I know they do that with sale and promotional perks but suite perks? I'm thinking the rep was misinformed. By the way, what perks were added to the Junior Suites.

Not sure of the exact additions, but dinner in CK was one of the new perks.

My take on the September 8th disclaimer is that they could state that guests that booked the suites within Star class prior to this date might have to pay for gratuities, the ultimate beverage package and the specialty restaurants.

I guess they could try to exclude the Voom internet and Thermal Suite entrance from the suites included in Sky class.

I agree. They are not going to do things like exchange enhanced bedding, but it would be very easy for them to say 'no free drink package' or 'you still have to pay for gratuities'.

The higher prices that people will pay post-announcement will be funding the pricier items.

That's in direct contradiction to what Patti posted earlier, so perhaps tomorrow's TA webinar will shed some light.

And this surprises you?

But nothing would surprise me, really.

Okay, never mind. I guess it really doesn't surprise you.

Ok, I called C&A after speaking to Tammy with RCCL. they said the exact opposite, that it only matters when you sail not when you book. Makes more sense to me.

As I said, just keep calling until you get the answer you like.

At first, I was disappointed that we would not receive this amenities on our upcoming cruises where we qualify for Sky Class. After reading the list of benefits, I'm less than impressed.

When you compare this program to the former suites "Enhanced Program", this no program can be summarized as "So What". There is certainly no reason to raise fares for these 'amenities'.

Edited by RocketMan275