Carry On Suitcases

lkneller

Does anyone know Princess limits to carry on luggage.

Have had bags beat up by cruise lines in the past.

Have brand new luggage and want to keep it looking brand new.

Plan to carry everything off myself, but don't know if there are limits on carry on luggage.

Anyone know this?

thanks

Remember that some gangways can be quite steep and have those stairs. If you know that where you're boarding has a smooth ramp and you can drag the bags without holding up everyone else (including stopping for the cruise card picture), then go for it. Some of the x-ray machines are narrower than others, so hopefully your bags aren't too big. I think a 25" case would fit okay but I'm not sure about anything bigger than that.

I'm assuming you're not flying to the port? IME, that is where bags get REALLY dirty - at the airport, in the planes and being tossed all over.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

We rolled on a full size suitcase once in the past without problem. We arrived at the pier later in the day (2 pm) so the crowds were thinned out and we pretty much breezed on. If we had arrived at the pier early while there were crowds waiting to board we would have checked the bags- the waiting areas can get pretty crowded sometimes.

But back to your original question :) if it fits through the scanner and you can manage it yourself then you can carry it on.

Remember that some gangways can be quite steep and have those stairs. If you know that where you're boarding has a smooth ramp and you can drag the bags without holding up everyone else (including stopping for the cruise card picture), then go for it. Some of the x-ray machines are narrower than others, so hopefully your bags aren't too big. I think a 25" case would fit okay but I'm not sure about anything bigger than that.

I'm assuming you're not flying to the port? IME, that is where bags get REALLY dirty - at the airport, in the planes and being tossed all over.

Which embarkation ports have stairs?

(Not snarky [emoji32] just curious.)

Scanners can accommodate 16x24xhowlongisthat.

We normally travel with carryon luggage, no larger than a 24" case.

Edited by SadieN

How difficult it is or not to roll a big piece of luggage on a ship depends on the tides. It can be easy or difficult. If it's high tide, the end of the gangway can be very steep. I haven't seen stairs on an embarkation gangway but I have embarked when the section onto the ship was very steep and slippery, needing at least one hand to hold onto the railing.

Actually, the OP asked about carrying off luggage. The ostensible limit for self-disembarkation is that a passenger must be able to handle all their luggage with one hand, leaving the other free for support. Unfortunately, Princess doesn't specify that on the disembarkation form.

And then there's just the practical problem of schlepping lots of luggage through a crowded ship.

Actually the OP was asking about carry ON luggage and referred he knew about carry OFF luggage as he planned to do that.

OK, if we're going to split hairs (and I guess we are) nowhere does the OP imply he knows the rules for self-disembarkation; carrying off luggage was the context in which he asked the question; and "carry on luggage" in this context is a noun. Disembarkation limits are the crucial factor. So I can theoretically carry on (verb) more carry-on (adjective) luggage than I can, under the rules, carry off (verb) myself. Unless the OP is planning to leave a couple of bags behind, he probably should not carry on (verb) half a dozen carry-ons (plural noun), though he would be allowed to do so.

Cheesh!

Does anyone know Princess limits to carry on luggage.

Have had bags beat up by cruise lines in the past.

Have brand new luggage and want to keep it looking brand new.

Plan to carry everything off myself, but don't know if there are limits on carry on luggage.

Anyone know this?

thanks

Our large 26 inch wide bag fits with no problem through their scanners. As far as holding up anyone, don't worry about them. If they wanted to board earlier, they would have arrived sooner.

btw- our cheap luggage has lasted up over 10 years & it'll probably go at least another few years.

Sorry, Shepp. Read OP's original post again slowly.

The pertinent quote:

"Plan to carry everything off myself, but don't know if there are limits on carry on luggage."

So 1) I fail to see where the OP indicates understanding of self-disembarkation limits. Perhaps you could tell me how you infer that?

And 2) if he's set on self-disembarking with all his luggage it doesn't matter how much luggage he can get on board with. I could board with two large rolling suitcases, one in each hand, 2 carryon-sized bags riding on their handles, a shoulder bag, and a large backpack on my back. Awkward, maybe, but under the rules, fine. If I were planning to leave one rollaboard and one carryon outside my cabin last night, again no problem. But I would not (or at least should not) be allowed to disembark with all that stuff. You need at least one free hand, and the OP presumably only has two.

Even if I read the post syllable-by-syllable, that seems like an accurate summation.

OK, if we're going to split hairs (and I guess we are) nowhere does the OP imply he knows the rules for self-disembarkation; carrying off luggage was the context in which he asked the question; and "carry on luggage" in this context is a noun. Disembarkation limits are the crucial factor. So I can theoretically carry on (verb) more carry-on (adjective) luggage than I can, under the rules, carry off (verb) myself. Unless the OP is planning to leave a couple of bags behind, he probably should not carry on (verb) half a dozen carry-ons (plural noun), though he would be allowed to do so.

Cheesh!

Cheesh is not the word I would use. But being a Retired Sailor I should not use the language I would like to use.

No it doesn't. If it doesn't, it'll get hand-checked, but you do not need to limit yourself to that which would fit through the scanner.

Not always & it depends on the scanner each port uses and if they will hand-check bags...in Quebec it was too large & we had to go back outside to drop it off with a porter.

Edited by Astro Flyer

...Plan to carry everything off myself, but don't know if there are limits on carry on luggage...

This may vary from ship to ship, as many things on Princess do. I have been on cruises where I don't recall a mention of a carry on/off limit, but on my most recent cruise on the Golden, we were told more than once there was a one bag per passenger plus one personal item (as on the airlines) limit for self-disembark. There was a staff member looking over bags as I disembarked, but not sure if anyone was turned back to check excess bags.

I know that many of you can handle far more luggage than this, but I saw some struggling to carry off even a single bag, backing up the line while they readjusted wheels, handles, etc., on their way down the gangplank. So please be realistic about what you can handle :).

Edited by Ryndam2002
clarity

Actually, the OP asked about carrying off luggage. The ostensible limit for self-disembarkation is that a passenger must be able to handle all their luggage with one hand, leaving the other free for support. Unfortunately, Princess doesn't specify that on the disembarkation form.

In my experience, this is not true in either Ft. Lauderdale, or Houston.

The only requirement is that you be able to carry/roll ALL your stuff.

If you don't have a free hand, they direct you to the elevator, rather

than the escalator.

I think the one-hand-free might be in LA, but I have no personal

experience.

Which embarkation ports have stairs?

(Not snarky [emoji32] just curious.)

Scanners can accommodate 16x24xhowlongisthat.

We normally travel with carryon luggage, no larger than a 24" case.

The metal ramps aren't flat sometimes. They can have these small 'steps' going up to the ship. They aren't your typical "stairs" but low metal graduated steps that would make it rough to roll a heavy large bag onto a ship. I particularly remember the ramp we had in Southampton being like that.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

In my experience, this is not true in either Ft. Lauderdale, or Houston.

The only requirement is that you be able to carry/roll ALL your stuff.

If you don't have a free hand, they direct you to the elevator, rather

than the escalator.

I think the one-hand-free might be in LA, but I have no personal

experience.

That may well be…I was only repeating what other posters have reported, since when I've self-disembarked I never had that much stuff.. I suppose you could ask a Princess phone rep for specifics, but you know how that goes...