Another dress code question

So we are leaving Saturday for the Oasis and we haven't cruised in 7 years... Does my husband need a suit for formal nights in the MDR? He always has in the past but I see so many posts about things are changed now with all that. Would you say most men wear a suit on formal night or do not?

Dress codes are so controversial!

You will find many people who say absolutely no! It really all boils down to your personal choice. The suggested dress code is a suit/tux/jacket.

Sailed the Oasis in 2014. Had traditional second seating for dinner. Quite honestly I would say the majority of men were wearing a jacket.

However, it is what you or your husband wants to do - you will see everything.

So we are leaving Saturday for the Oasis and we haven't cruised in 7 years... Does my husband need a suit for formal nights in the MDR? He always has in the past but I see so many posts about things are changed now with all that. Would you say most men wear a suit on formal night or do not?

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqType=faq

No he does not. Royal's SUGGESTED GUIDELINE is Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women but that is only a suggestion and many men just wear dress pants, shirt and tie or khakis and polo shirts, some even nice jeans and a nice shirt.

Of the cruises I have been on in the past 5 years I would say that there as many men without suits on and actually maybe even more, then there were with and just a few in tuxes.

On our recent cruise on Freedom, my DH wore dress slacks, and shirt and tie. It was fine. What passes for "formal" is a lot more relaxed than it used to be, at least that has been my experience. Whether that's a good or bad thing is a matter of personal preference.

Perhaps not a suit, but at least a sports coat...Yeah there will be folks in there without them, but you said he doesnt want to look out of place. There has always been a sign posted outside the MDR stating gentlemen should wear jackets......folks just stare at those that do not....they do not stare at those that do. I have never been on a cruise that had as many without as there were with...not even close. Perhaps I just havnt been on enough cruises to get a good idea.

Doug

Perhaps not a suit, but at least a sports coat...Yeah there will be folks in there without them, but you said he doesnt want to look out of place. There has always been a sign posted outside the MDR stating gentlemen should wear jackets......folks just stare at those that do not....they do not stare at those that do. I have never been on a cruise that had as many without as there were with...not even close. Perhaps I just havnt been on enough cruises to get a good idea.

Doug

I think maybe you are just saying what you want to see because you don't want the suit to become a dying thing (which it is) and so try to convince people that most wear them. There are many men in the dining room without a suit or jacket on, it is by no means uncommon. Oh and BTW, I have seen nobody stare at a person who chooses not to wear a jacket!!! Come on now - that is just ridiculous!

Oh...now I see that most of your cruises were on Princess - that is a different story - we are talking Royal Caribbean here.

Edited by Clipper123

Doug

Really...folks stare at men who don't wear a jacket? My DH hasn't packed a tux, suit or even a sport coat for our last 4 or 5 cruises and we have never noticed anyone staring. Although maybe we are too busy enjoying ourselves to worry about who was staring at us or why.

Of the cruises I have been on in the past 5 years I would say that there as many men without suits on and actually maybe even more, then there were with and just a few in tuxes.

I'd say most men still wear at least a jacket, but casual/dress slacks and a collared shirt is perfectly acceptable and he would not feel out of place.

Some cruises seem a lot more casual than others.

We decided not to bring formal attire on our last cruise and planned Windjammer for those two nights. After skipping the first formal night in MDR, our waiter told us to come for the second formal night because "nobody cares what you wear". We came to the second formal night. Husband wore trousers and a button down shirt. No tie. No jacket. I could've counted on two hands the number of men who had suits/tuxes on that night.

As an aside.... we felt overdressed on even the casual nights. (Many men were wearing jeans and t-shirts. Many women wore what appeared to be swim suit covers as "dresses".)

Just off the Brilliance. Shorts, flip flops and bare feet in the dining room! Yes I have pictures. Didn't ruin my cruise at all but still... bare feet and shorts...

Just off the Brilliance. Shorts, flip flops and bare feet in the dining room! Yes I have pictures. Didn't ruin my cruise at all but still... bare feet and shorts...

Bare feet? That's just gross!

My standards are pretty relaxed I admit, but on our most recent cruise the way some were dressed for dinner in the MTD didn't meet even my standards.

...There has always been a sign posted outside the MDR stating gentlemen should wear jackets......folks just stare at those that do not....they do not stare at those that do....

Sorry Doug, but this just isn't true. I wouldn't want a new cruiser to RCI to read your comments above and think they are true - they simply are not true in any way.

On all but "formal" nights, the majority of men will be in slacks and a golf/polo type shirt. On the formal evenings, you'll see everything from the aforementioned 'casual" to suits and tuxes. The dress code is merely a suggestion nowadays. You are unlikely to be turned away unless you're in a "wife-beater" shirt and flip flops!

many men just wear dress pants, shirt and tie or khakis and polo shirts, some even nice jeans and a nice shirt.
I think maybe you are just saying what you want to see because you don't want the suit to become a dying thing (which it is) and so try to convince people that most wear them. There are many men in the dining room without a suit or jacket on, it is by no means uncommon.

Pot, meet kettle...

That's EXACTLY what you're doing, trying to convince people that most don't wear jackets, when that isn't anywhere near the truth. MOST will at least have jackets on for formal night.

You won't be out of place in a suit.

You won't be out of place dressed smartly in sport coat and a button up shirt.

You won't be out of place in tan pants and a polo.

So choose whichever you like, all categories are well represented and you won't stick out.

Sorry Doug, but this just isn't true. I wouldn't want a new cruiser to RCI to read your comments above and think they are true - they simply are not true in any way.

I will be a new cruiser to RCI. Just booked the Brilliance's 12/28/15 sailing. What should a guy pack for this New Years cruise? If it was NCL I would be wearing just a collared shirt with dress slacks. Will I need a suit or my tux for this sailing?

I will be a new cruiser to RCI. Just booked the Brilliance's 12/28/15 sailing. What should a guy pack for this New Years cruise? If it was NCL I would be wearing just a collared shirt with dress slacks. Will I need a suit or my tux for this sailing?

Assuming you are referencing the dress guidelines for the MDR. I would suggest you read RCCLs MDR evening dress guidelines. The guidelines are published on their website and "clarea" also attached RCCLs published guidelines in post number 3 of this thread. If you’re asking what you can get away with for the MDR in the evening, you can get away with whatever you're wearing as long as the staff at the MDR door allows what you are wearing.

Edited by davekathy

You won't be out of place in a suit.

You won't be out of place dressed smartly in sport coat and a button up shirt.

You won't be out of place in tan pants and a polo.

So choose whichever you like, all categories are well represented and you won't stick out.

This is the most concise and factual post on this thread. Max, you are absolutely correct - nicely done.

Assuming you are referencing the dress guidelines for the MDR. I would suggest you read RCCLs MDR evening dress guidelines. The guidelines are published on their website and "clarea" also attached RCCLs published guidelines in post number 3 of this thread. If you’re asking what you can get away with for the MDR in the evening, you can get away with whatever you're wearing as long as the staff at the MDR door allows what you are wearing.

Could you define the statement "what you can get away with" in the above context please? Thanks.

Could you define the statement "what you can get away with" in the above context please? Thanks.

Anything you choose to wear that isn't published in RCCLs dress guidelines for that specificevening in the MDR.

Edited by davekathy