do the meds really work for sea sickness?

SparkleBee

In Alaskan open waters I had a hellish day due to seasickness, taking Dramamine after that fact did not help. If I take meds BEFORE I feel anything should I be ok? does the patch really work to keep seasickness at bay? I want to do another cruise but am terrified of getting seasick again.

Meds will work if taken properly, but you can't take them after you are seasick, they prevent it from happening, they don't cure it after you get it.

The patch works as do a lot of the OTC meds.

As others have said, the key is to take medications BEFORE you get sick. Personally, we like Bonine (Meclizine Hcl) the best (it is over-the-counter in the USA but not available in Canada). The Transderm Scop patches are very effective, but many suffer from multiple side-effects with these things. And they do require a prescription.

Hank

I get sick in cars, roller coasters, the tea cup ride, playing ring around the rosy, and even on cruises. That is until I tried the Transderm patch. Now I am bullet proof on a cruise. We hit a rough storm in the Gulf of Mexico two years ago and everyone was getting sick, even some of the crew. I felt like Will Smith in I am Legend, because I was totally immune. I felt like a superhero, and I had the lunch buffet all to myself.

Now, there is a little side effect, you will get groggy at first. Even I get groggy and I'm 225 lbs (imagine the statue of David with better abs and that's me...just kidding:D). Within about 15 minutes of putting the patch on, you will get groggy for a couple of hours. A quick cat nap usually does it for me. Then when you replace the patch every third day you'll get groggy again.

I also get a metallic taste in my mouth shortly after applying the patch. Which leads me to another plus side of the patch. I become a total light weight on the patch. I wash away that metallic taste with one $10 beer and two $12 Coco Locos and suddenly I'm ready to do the Wobble Dance, Cupid Shuffle, or whatever. Sometimes I don't even need the music. So be warned.

I've had the patches come off in the shower after only a day before. This sucks because when you put on a new patch you get the full dose again. Along with the corresponding grogginess, metallic taste, and doing the Wobble during bingo. Just be careful in the shower or don't take a shower. That will have it's own separate set of side effects.

In all seriousness, I would definitely recommend the Transderm patch, but take it as soon as you get on the boat.

One way to avoid excessive side effects with the patch is to place a small round bandaid on where the patch goes, and then place the patch half on your skin and half on the bandaid. The patch will not dose through the bandaid, and you will get a smaller, longer dose from the patch.

Meclizene works very well for DW. She takes it a day before the cruise and a few days after if she has "after cruise" dizziness. Before we discovered Bonine (Meclizene), she had motion sickness regularly on cruises and riding in the back seat of a car, plus other motion related activities.

Meclizene works very well for DW. She takes it a day before the cruise and a few days after if she has "after cruise" dizziness. Before we discovered Bonine (Meclizene), she had motion sickness regularly on cruises and riding in the back seat of a car, plus other motion related activities.

This is what I do also.

People have not mentioned the potentially bad side effects of the patch - visual problems, up to and including temporary blindness as well as hallucinations. If you think you will use the scopalamine patch, try it first at home on a weekend you can afford to lose.

A friend who just got off his 19th cruise said he experienced sea sickness for the first time despite good conditions. Bonine didn't help (maybe too late?). Keeping a buzz helped but was pricey. He ended up with the sea bands on his wrists. They did the trick for him.

I'm grateful for this topic! On my last (and only) cruise I got the patch. I was worried because on dinner cruises I'd sometimes feel uncomfortable. Anyway, the second day of the patch I did not get sick, but had strange side effects. My eyes were burning, and I had what I imagine vertigo to be. The earth (ship) kept shifting. It was horrible! But for one day only. Now for my next cruise I'm not sure if I should use the patch or Bonine. Anyone else have the burning eyes, moving floor... With the patch? One person told me that it may be part of getting my "sea legs". Any advice or input?

Bonnie works but some get very drowsy. I am unfortunately in that group. I had similar issues with the patch.

Ginger tablets work for many people. They are often on the pharmacy shelf beside Gravol/Dramamine and other anti-nausea treatments.

A discussion with one's family physician is often a good idea. The patch, Bonnie, and even ginger can be contraindicated for some people.

Edited by broberts

I'm grateful for this topic! On my last (and only) cruise I got the patch. I was worried because on dinner cruises I'd sometimes feel uncomfortable. Anyway, the second day of the patch I did not get sick, but had strange side effects. My eyes were burning, and I had what I imagine vertigo to be. The earth (ship) kept shifting. It was horrible! But for one day only. Now for my next cruise I'm not sure if I should use the patch or Bonine. Anyone else have the burning eyes, moving floor... With the patch? One person told me that it may be part of getting my "sea legs". Any advice or input?

These can be some of the side effects of the patch. This is why I agree with others about using the patch as a trial ashore to see if you are susceptible to side effects, and if so, to try the bandaid under the patch to reduce the dosing.

Bonnie works but some get very drowsy. I am unfortunately in that group. I had similar issues with the patch.

Ginger tablets work for many people. They are often on the pharmacy shelf beside Gravol/Dramamine and other anti-nausea treatments.

A discussion with one's family physician is often a good idea. The patch, Bonnie, and even ginger can be contraindicated for some people.

A suggestion if Bonine makes you drowsy. Take it at bedtime or take 1/2 tablet.

You can buy generic (meclizene) in two strengths. The brand available here is Rugby.

Edited by swedish weave

These can be some of the side effects of the patch. This is why I agree with others about using the patch as a trial ashore to see if you are susceptible to side effects, and if so, to try the bandaid under the patch to reduce the dosing.

Thanks Cheng. I did wonder if the patch dosing was too strong (I don't weigh very much to begin with). I will try the half dosing tactics mentioned here!

Please don't do that. The scopalomine will leak out the cut edge, and increase the dosage.

Cutting the patch is a big no no!

The alternate problem is the all the medication leaks out before you get it on and there is nothing to deliver.

My advice is that if you have never used the patch, " just say no."

^What both of them said. Drug manufacturers work hard to get approval for transdermal patches, and the trickiest part is appropriate transfer rate of the medication - depending on the method of construction, and never having needed Scopolamine I have no idea if they use drug-in-adhesive, reservoirs or other method so the effects of cutting it could be minimal (lost drug) to major (increased dosage rate leading to OD).

And for the love of <insert favoured Deity here>, when you dispose of them do so correctly - even a 'dead' patch can contain enough drug that if swallowed by a kid or animal it could be lethal. If you share a bed with a transdermal-patch wearer they can come off and get stuck to the other partner - just annoying for most, but potentially lethal for infants...

Personally I'd always suggest taking no meds on your first cruise, and working up from the no-possible-side-effect methods like seabands through ginger products to OTC like Meclizine with prescription drugs like Scopolamine as very much a last resort - especially given it's a No Booze and No Analgesics medication, and I think most cruisers like a bit of booze and often a couple of OTC meds next day to cope with a hangover on occasion!

I get sea legs after cruising...dizziness after the cruise is over. Two cruises ago, it was bad and lasted almost constantly for 4 days.

The last cruise we took, I followed advice from the boards and had no issues. I took Bonine 2 days prior, during and 2 days after.

The first day I took a whole pill and wanted to fall asleep at a museum at 1pm. A full pill was too much. I would take 1/2 a pill each day, if I felt dizziness later, I would bite of a little of the pill. I would start with 1/4-1/2 the first few days and then stay at a half the rest of the trip.

Good luck.

Vicki

Edited by vfnelson2