Tipping

willow949

We have always paid the recommended tips, however we do not eat in the MDR. We do get room service for our evening meal and use the buffet for other meals. I feel tipping the MDR could be better used for the others. Any thoughts?

We have always paid the recommended tips, however we do not eat in the MDR. We do get room service for our evening meal and use the buffet for other meals. I feel tipping the MDR could be better used for the others. Any thoughts?
Those that work in the MDR also work in the buffet.

This has been covered ad nauseum on the many hundreds of tipping threads on CC. Please - not another one.

DON

I know, Don. But this is a question I have not seen. Excuses me for not always being up to date. We Have always paid the gratuities. Not like others who do not want to pay. But what about redistribution ?

however we do not eat in the MDR. We do get room service for our evening meal and use the buffet for other meals. I feel tipping the MDR could be better used for the others. Any thoughts?

Also, this sounds like a creative way to STIFF the Staff!!!!! :rolleyes:

Let's just reassure the OP that those in the buffet an elsewhere all receive the tips. some people think that only the waiters who work the MDR dinner shift get the gratuity and that's not so. The ones who work the buffet are included in the gratuity you pay.

This has been covered ad nauseum on the many hundreds of tipping threads on CC. Please - not another one.

DON

I know, Don. But this is a question I have not seen. Excuses me for not always being up to date. We Have always paid the gratuities. Not like others who do not want to pay. But what about redistribution ?

Your answers are valid. But we always give more to the room service staff and housekeeping because we are in our room more than others. We never intend to "stiff" anyone, and I could take offense to that post, but I know it came from other posts where others do not want to pay gratuities at all. It was just a question about re distributions. I'll just leave it as we have always done. Give the requested ship gratuities, and give more to those who do the extra services for us. End of discussion!

The "dinner staff" serve ALL of the meals/snacks you'll eat...so what you tip is NOT just for dinner!!!! If everyone leaves the tips as suggested, everyone on staff gets what is due them.

Edited by cb at sea

Generally, your tips are automatically deducted out each day or at the end of the cruise depending on how you look at it- that's fine for us since it covers everyone. (This includes the ones we may not see like the service bartenders etc.)

I also tip, regardless of the auto tipping or the included gratuities, my butler and room steward on the first day. I want them to know I'm not holding out to the end to evaluate their service. It works both ways so I figure I will tip them when they first come to the room after their introduction. I'm trusting them to take care of me and they are trusting me to take care of them. I also do this with bartenders where I know I will be hanging out in the evenings and waiters.

At the end I figure it part of the expense.

While the cruise is about being pamperd and receiving great service, it helps to set the tone. A monetary tip is always appreciated and sets the tone that you are appreciative.

While it has been discussed, it's always safe to ask so don't feel bad if you have a question.

~Steve

It was just a question about re distributions. I'll just leave it as we have always done. Give the requested ship gratuities, and give more to those who do the extra services for us. End of discussion!

If I may chime-in with one more point, before the discussion formally ends. ;)

Over the years, I've heard and read more than I ever wanted to about tipping (LOL). What I have gathered is that there exists, on most cruise lines, a huge -- and mostly unseen -- tip re-distribution system. In addition to management's dispersal of auto-tips and other pooled gratuities, there remains a long-standing system (pre-dating auto-tips), where tips are "kicked" up and down the food chain. If you've ever been in a cabin where you never got decent linens, it might be due to your steward not paying proper homage to the folks in the ships laundry. :eek:

Anyway, rather than try to figure out all the nuances, I just go with your system: we leave the auto-tip in place, and reward our favorite crew with a little extra cash. It works! :cool:

If I may chime-in with one more point, before the discussion formally ends. ;)

Over the years, I've heard and read more than I ever wanted to about tipping (LOL). What I have gathered is that there exists, on most cruise lines, a huge -- and mostly unseen -- tip re-distribution system. In addition to management's dispersal of auto-tips and other pooled gratuities, there remains a long-standing system (pre-dating auto-tips), where tips are "kicked" up and down the food chain. If you've ever been in a cabin where you never got decent linens, it might be due to your steward not paying proper homage to the folks in the ships laundry. :eek:

Anyway, rather than try to figure out all the nuances, I just go with your system: we leave the auto-tip in place, and reward our favorite crew with a little extra cash. It works! :cool:

Great post, couldn't have said it any better.

I also believe that the OP in this thread was asking the question for knowledge purposes and a previous post that someone is trying to avoid tips in my opinion is out of bounds.