No Bailey's??!!

wrongwaywatson

I just called to preorder 3 bottles of Bailey's to be delivered to our room for our upcoming 3/28 cruise. We've done this on our last few cruises We are not really drinkers (DH will drink a beer here and there, but I'm more of a Diet Pepsi gal), however we love to drink Bailey's on our cruises. We had never tasted it until we purchased a shot of it on our first cruise and we've loved it ever since, and we associate it with cruising. Silly, but true.

Now, Customer Service tells me that it isn't available any longer for prepurchase. They have wine, champagne and other hard liquor, but no liqueur's. They said I can buy it by the glass - which would really add up, plus we like to just pour a glass and drink it on our balcony at the various port sail aways.

Why can you bring 1 bottle of wine/champagne aboard, but can't bring a liqueur? Anyone know?

Very odd. I see that they have updated their Gifts & Services brochure to include the All Inclusive Bar Package but have indeed left off the Irish Cream Liquor.

I would suggest calling and asking to order Item #2371. Doing it by item number you may get lucky and find that it is still in their system...

Liqueur:

Irish Cream

(350ml bottle)

Item #2371 – $19

I have asked this question to Princess directly multiple times as we are not wine drinkers (strictly liquor) & never been given a definitive answer...basically, our ship - our rules...

Fair :confused: NO...but it is what it is......:rolleyes:

Irish cream is the closest you'll get. It's quite nice.We ordered a bottle via room service last cruise.

The problem is that it is no longer listed on the Gifts & Services menu. That's why I suggested calling and trying to order by the specific item number that was on the previous form.

I just called to preorder 3 bottles of Bailey's to be delivered to our room for our upcoming 3/28 cruise. We've done this on our last few cruises We are not really drinkers (DH will drink a beer here and there, but I'm more of a Diet Pepsi gal), however we love to drink Bailey's on our cruises. We had never tasted it until we purchased a shot of it on our first cruise and we've loved it ever since, and we associate it with cruising. Silly, but true.

Now, Customer Service tells me that it isn't available any longer for prepurchase. They have wine, champagne and other hard liquor, but no liqueur's. They said I can buy it by the glass - which would really add up, plus we like to just pour a glass and drink it on our balcony at the various port sail aways.

Why can you bring 1 bottle of wine/champagne aboard, but can't bring a liqueur? Anyone know?

Why? I'm guessing but I would think wine has a lower profit margin then beer or hard liquor. The cruise lines make there money/profit on liquor sales.

They said I can buy it by the glass - which would really add up, plus we like to just pour a glass and drink it on our balcony at the various port sail aways.

Go to the daily BOGO. Order Bailey's and get it without ice. They can put both drinks in a single glass. If you each order it that way at the beginning of the BOGO and then again before it ends you will each have 4 servings. Just pour it all into two glasses and take them back to your cabin. Put them in the refrigerator and you will have a total of 8 servings for the cost of 4. You will then have them available in your cabin for drinking on the balcony.

It wouldn't really be all that difficult to do and it will get you the liqueur you want for your cabin. Others have used this approach and ordered splits of champagne at the BOGO. They took the champagne back to their cabin and then had orange juice delivered by room service each morning. They used the OJ and the champagne to make morning Mimosas to drink on the balcony.

Edited by Thrak

I have never found a bottle of Bailey's at any bar on a Princess ship much less to preorder for the room. The off-brand they have is nothing like Bailey's. Very disappointing for those of us that love Bailey's!!

Yes, but they don't even offer that for the room anymore. Disappointing.

Edited by Cruise Junky

If you like bailey's you should try duggans.....tastes the same to me...and we get it for 7.99 a bottle rather than like 18.99 for baileys

I agree with LoveToCruise, I'd simply bury a bottle in my checked bag. Worst case scenario is that they'd confiscate it and return the bottle at the cruise end.

Actually, worst case scenario is that they follow the rules and dispose of it.

The problem with almost all of the chocolate 'wine' products is that they are not wine, so Princess can legitimately refused to allow you to bring them on. Read the ingredients list - there is one brand, if memory serves a Dutch one, that is actually red wine with added dairy/cocoa, but all others tend to be the much-cheaper-to-make diluted high strength alcohol+flavouring. Even if they are actually wine-strength in terms of alcohol content, they are legally-speaking liqueurs - and while some might sneak a word very similar to wine into their names (like chocovine), they will never list wine as their product type or on their ingredient list because that's not allowed in most jurisdictions.

Words & phrases like 'spirit of wine' or 'wine spirits' or even 'grape spirits' are sometimes mentioned instead of the generic word 'alcohol' - these are old-fashioned ways of describing distilled products, harking back to the days of the Alchemists. These days it's what happens to low-grade wine that's unlikely to sell if bottled, or is just overproduced in markets with producer subsidies. Take a bunch of low-grade wine, distil it, take the ~95% pure alcohol that results and use it to make a bunch of more profitable products.

Baileys itself, despite heavy use of the word whiskey in their advertising, uses mostly industrial alcohol with just a little bit of Irish whiskey as flavouring. Southern Comfort started life as a bourbon-based product, but changed to industrial alcohol years ago - many other world-famous liqueur brands have done exactly the same, just read the ingredients list next time you have a bottle of liqueur in hand.

Whether you'll get someone checking at the pier who actually knows the policy properly, bothers reading the small print on the label, or does anything other than glance at the name and/or ABV before saying OK seems to be very random - we had some real hassle getting a bottle of Port and Sherry onboard, not because of the added alcohol (a legit reason to refuse us IMO) or because of the total ABV (general consensus seems to be anything over 15% has a high chance of refusal) but because they were fancier bottles we'd brought back from Spain & Portugal and did not have the word 'wine' anywhere on the label which was what our booze checker had been trained to look for.