Tunisia Terrorist Attack

http://www.cruisecritic.com.au/news/news.cfm?ID=6253

News reports that cruise ship passengers from Costa Fascinosa and MSC Splendida were on excursions, which included the Bardo National Museum.

It is reported that terrorists waited until four tour buses arrived at the Museum.

ABC has now reported that an Australian is amongst the 17 foreign tourists reported killed by the terrorists.

Just where in the world is there left where we can be safe?

I suppose we can get run over by a bus anywhere anytime but to be exposed to terrorists on an innocent tourist excursion is an outrage

The shooting down of the Malaysian airlines plane is another example of "terrorist" activities and so it goes on

Many years ago I remember an attack on a cruise ship (it could have been Achilles Lauro) on the high seas where passengers were shot

Just what can we do? Just go on living normally and don't be intimidated by these lunatics? I don't know

Perhaps other C C ers may have some ideas

John

You just continue on. Things happen. Very sad for the loss of lives but you cannot be intimidated or frightened by these activities. Your more likely to be killed in a road accident than any terrorist act.

You just continue on. Things happen. Very sad for the loss of lives but you cannot be intimidated or frightened by these activities. Your more likely to be killed in a road accident than any terrorist act.

I totally agree Sarah, let us get on with life, don't let Terrorism win. Travel the world.

One can still travel the world without travelling to countries which the Government advises "reconsider your need to travel" or "do not travel".

With "exercise a high degree of caution", the traveler can decide to travel or not travel.

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Tunisia

Costa Fascinosa departed with 13 passengers not returning to the ship. We don't know if they are missing or dead or neither. The ship departed at 2am.

MSC Splendida has not left yet, still in port at Tunis. No reports on whether all passengers are onboard.

Not known whether the Australian victim was a cruise passenger. Hopefully we'll get more details over the next few hours.

Mr Camelo, an Australian-Colombian dual national, who lived in Waterloo in inner Sydney, had never been on a cruise before, and thought it would be a good way to relax and mark the end of his years of studying.

On Tuesday, when their ship docked in Tunisia, Mr Camelo and his parents were among a group of tourists who decided to visit the National Bardo Museum in the country's capital, Tunis.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott confirmed the death of a dual Australian-Colombian citizen in a joint statement with Foreign Affairs Minister Julie Bishop on Thursday.

"Our consular officials have now confirmed that a dual Australian-Colombian citizen, who was a resident of New South Wales, was among the deceased," the statement said.

According to the article, Mr Camelo's mother was also killed, but his father survived.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/sydney-resident-javier-camelo-killed-in-tunisia-museum-attack-20150319-1m2x3u.html

So sad.

Just where in the world is there left where we can be safe?

I suppose we can get run over by a bus anywhere anytime but to be exposed to terrorists on an innocent tourist excursion is an outrage

The shooting down of the Malaysian airlines plane is another example of "terrorist" activities and so it goes on

Many years ago I remember an attack on a cruise ship (it could have been Achilles Lauro) on the high seas where passengers were shot

Just what can we do? Just go on living normally and don't be intimidated by these lunatics? I don't know

Perhaps other C C ers may have some ideas

John

I think that you should worry more about the car trip from home to the dock/airport!!!!! Much more likelihood of getting killed then!!!

Barry

I had a look at this website http://www.cruisetimetables.com/ to see which cruislines were visiting Tunisian ports this year -- bearing in mind that Tunisia is adjacent to Libya (which has been and is in turmoil!!) Mostly Costa and MSC ships.

Are we seeing another instance of Italian bravado (at management level this time) ???

Barry

I find it very odd that Costa left so quickly without resolving the missing passengers. If they had you'd expect them to make a statement that all passengers were accounted for. It just makes a bad situation worse for anyone left there.

Watching the video from the scene, so many fleeing were actually from the MSC tours. Not sure if that's just coincidental timing with the attack against tour arrivals, or indicates that the majority of visitors were cruise passengers.

I was on a HAL cruise last October which was to stop in Tunisia, and I had booked the Bardo Museum excursion, but the itinerary was changed while we were on board and we went to Sardinia instead. The reason given was that there were concerns about the safety of Westerners from terrorist groups. My understanding was that HAL follows US State travel advisories.

I was on a HAL cruise last October which was to stop in Tunisia, and I had booked the Bardo Museum excursion, but the itinerary was changed while we were on board and we went to Sardinia instead. The reason given was that there were concerns about the safety of Westerners from terrorist groups. My understanding was that HAL follows US State travel advisories.

Yes, there has been chatter about the possibility of terrorist threats in Tunisia for some time. Before I travel, I check US/UK travel advisories, as well as Australia's, when there is local unrest.

One can still travel the world without travelling to countries which the Government advises "reconsider your need to travel" or "do not travel".

With "exercise a high degree of caution", the traveler can decide to travel or not travel.

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Tunisia

I totally agree, travel, but heed the Government warnings.

http://www.msccruisesusa.com/us_en/About-MSC-Cruises/News/MSC-Cruises-Official-Statement-Tunisia-Events.aspx

"On March 18th, MSC Splendida called on the port of La Goulette, Tunis for its weekly call performed during the season from December 17, 2014 to April 15, 2015. The ship arrived with 3,714 guests and 1,267 crewmembers aboard.

As is the case every time the ship calls in Tunis, a shore excursion offered MSC Cruises’ guests the opportunity to visit the famous Bardo National Museum. During the visit at the museum, some of MSC Cruises’ guests were caught in the middle of a terrorist attack along with guests from another cruise line."

March 19, 2015, 3PM EST: In the wake of Wednesday’s (March 18) terror attack at the Bordo National Museum, in Tunis, MSC Cruises has decided to suspend all remaining Tunisian calls in the 2015 summer program in the interests of guest and crew member safety.

Itineraries affected by the change will impact four of MSC Cruises’ 12 ships as follows:

Tunis has long been featured on MSC Cruises itineraries, and the city’s extensive range of cultural offerings have proved very popular with visitors.

MSC Cruises Executive Chairman Pierfrancesco Vago said: “Sadly, the murderous actions of the people behind this devastating attack will have far-reaching and profoundly damaging effects on democratic Tunisia and its faltering economy. Tunisia can little afford to be considered a no-go zone at this time, but regrettably that is how tourists will now see it.”

The safety and security of guests and crew members is MSC Cruises’ number one priority at all times, and the events that took place this week preclude the possibility of MSC Cruises calling in Tunisia for the foreseeable future.

Don't know what this says about my intelligence, but just this morning I have booked a cruise on Royal Princess out of Barcelona to Athens which calls at Tunisia in August 2016. I'm not the only crazy though - a large number of cabins are already sold - so much so that we were unable to book in the category we wanted - wake cabins. Every deck sold, and the cruise was only listed for sale this morning!!!

Don't know what this says about my intelligence, but just this morning I have booked a cruise on Royal Princess out of Barcelona to Athens which calls at Tunisia in August 2016. I'm not the only crazy though - a large number of cabins are already sold - so much so that we were unable to book in the category we wanted - wake cabins. Every deck sold, and the cruise was only listed for sale this morning!!!

Just keep watching it every day. Sometimes when they release them agents put a lot of blocks on various cabins. You could just waitlist the cabin your wanting.

I think you will find that the Tunis call will be replaced. Itineraries are planned many years in advance . We cruised on QM2 on her first cruise into the Med and Tripoli was a Port of Call. We were only notified once on board that it was canceled. I think that was more for political reasons though ......and most passengers were very pleased.

I think you will find that the Tunis call will be replaced.

Unlikely in the near term. Even the lines directly affected, MSC are only cancelling this Summer, until September.

Of course, it will be re-evaluated and if unrest continues, further suspensions will occur. But they're not cancelling forever and ever.

Princess cruises first call into Tunis this year is on June 1st, We are booked on this cruise on the Emerald Princess. To date we have not been told of any cancellation but we are sadly expecting it to be when Princess considers the risks.

Oddly the tours for Tunis were only posted two days ago, so we think this was a port that was likely to be cancelled even before this sad tragedy.

Edited by Te Aroha
spelling

Princess cruises first call into Tunis this year is on June 1st, We are booked on this cruise on the Emerald Princess. To date we have not been told of any cancellation but we are sadly expecting it to be when Princess considers the risks.

Oddly the tours for Tunis were only posted two days ago, so we think this was a port that was likely to be cancelled even before this sad tragedy.

We are on the "Emerald" departing Barcelona on June 6,and Tunis is on the Itinery for June 11. Have not heard of any change yet, But A good suitable change could be to Malta,which would not be too far out of the way. Even though we have been there before ,what a wonderful replacement it would be, if they do change?

Yes I would like to see them overnight in Malta if Tunis is to be removed.

I first started school there many, many years ago when my father was stationed in Malta with the British Navy. It will be interesting to see the changes which I have been told are many.

Yes I would like to see them overnight in Malta if Tunis is to be removed.

I first started school there many, many years ago when my father was stationed in Malta with the British Navy. It will be interesting to see the changes which I have been told are many.

It's a very Historical Place and so beautiful, if Princess do miss Tunis,it would be very exciting for you because of your early years there. Hope they do.

Have just been advised by Princess that they are cancelling the June 1st. stop at Tunis on Emerald Princess, but at the moment are still planning to "keep" the call into Tunis for the Emerald on June 11th. They will advise if that changes and will monitor the situation.