Tunisia Terrorist Attack

We are very happy they have decided on Naples to replace Tunis this stop was originally on the cruise when we first looked at booking.

I have always wanted to go to Capri so hopefully this will work out well for everyone.

Still sad that we will miss Tunis but fully understand the situation that Princess is dealing with and the possible problems. I feel they will remove Tunis from all cruises this year.

• 3 months later...

First a terrorist attack on tourists, from cruise ships, at the Bardo Museum.

Now a terrorist attack on tourists on the beach and at beach hotels.

I feel so sad for the innocent tourists.

How can Tunisia tourism recover?

Edited by MMDown Under

I feel for the people whom need the tourists to survive. They are also the victims.

Agree with Bali after recently cruising there I have no desire to go again.

The Indonesian government really does not encourage Australians to want to go there.

They are removing the tourist visa cost for a lot of visitors but Australians are still going to be charged.

Love thy neighbour time.

I feel for the people whom need the tourists to survive. They are also the victims.

Agree people in the tourism industry in Tunisia are also victims.

It will take years to recover.

Years ago, we cancelled a scheduled family holiday in Barcelona, because Basque separatists, at that time, were putting bombs on the beaches. Family safety comes first.

Yes a tragedy. On Oriana in October we call into Agadir, Morocco which is 'next door' to Tunisia, I have booked a shorex. North Africa is a dodgy place at the best of times.

But life must go on, one is only here for a short time, not a long time.

Agree with Bali after recently cruising there I have no desire to go again.

The Indonesian government really does not encourage Australians to want to go there.

They are removing the tourist visa cost for a lot of visitors but Australians are still going to be charged.

Love thy neighbour time.

Well, since we cut their funding in half recently they will try & gouge Australians for all they can get.

I have lost all respect for Indonesia in the last few years, they are such hypocrites about our government when they are known for mass corruption, people smuggling & medieval practices, with about 9 out of 10 girls there subjected to FGM! Gross & barbaric.

Australians should spend their holiday money in countries with reasonable civilised attitudes that deserve our support.

We travelled through Egypt & Morocco many years ago now & so glad we did it back then.

Unfortunately with the rise of fundamentalist Islam not looking like it's about to peak any time soon, the middle east is too hot a destination now to risk going there IMO.

Social media has allowed the spread of terror in a way we have never witnessed before.

Very sad for Tunisia which was one of the few success stories of the Arab Spring, what seemed like a positive move toward democracy & secular government but a few years back, has crumbled in many places into a new barbaric medieval dark age! :(

Yes a tragedy. On Oriana in October we call into Agadir, Morocco which is 'next door' to Tunisia, I have booked a shorex. North Africa is a dodgy place at the best of times.

But life must go on, one is only here for a short time, not a long time.

As is the case whenever you travel, be aware of your surroundings, be careful and it may help you to stay safe.:D

Unfortunately with the rise of fundamentalist Islam not looking like it's about to peak any time soon, the middle east is too hot a destination now to risk going there IMO.

........ :(

I was recently in the Middle East with Royal. Had a great time and never felt uncomfortable or in danger ever.

...Well apart from when they shot 4 missiles at Ashdod. Three were intercepted but one hit land about 10 ks from the ship.

The captain did and emergency departure where they 'threw the lines' and powered out of port - without a pilot - and headed straight out to sea. The ship left nearly an hour early but only 4 passengers were left behind!

All's well that ends well!

Raina

I was recently in the Middle East with Royal. Had a great time and never felt uncomfortable or in danger ever.

...Well apart from when they shot 4 missiles at Ashdod. Three were intercepted but one hit land about 10 ks from the ship.

The captain did and emergency departure where they 'threw the lines' and powered out of port - without a pilot - and headed straight out to sea. The ship left nearly an hour early but only 4 passengers were left behind!

Raina

Goodness, I want to hear more of this story next week at the SXYC.:D

Terrible for all concerned. The terrorists don't want tourists in Tunisia and it looks like they are succeeding.
The tourists are not welcome and westerners are being targetted.:(

Well, tourists are actually welcomed by many Tunisians.

However, a minority are trying to make a big statement for their cause.

Yes, in an earlier post I had said it was the terrorists that were trying to get rid of the tourists.

Edited by MicCanberra

Raina

Now that's a story! Would be interested in hearing more.

Tourists have always been seen as wealthy and are therefore targets.

It is nothing new. I recall chatting to a passenger who told us about boarding QE2 when the IRA where active. After check in they had to enter a container which was then lifted by crane onto the ship.:eek:

On Queen Marys maiden voyage , all passengers entering via the gangway were greeted by security , armed with machine guns.:eek:

Tourists have always been seen as wealthy and are therefore targets.

It is nothing new. I recall chatting to a passenger who told us about boarding QE2 when the IRA where active. After check in they had to enter a container which was then lifted by crane onto the ship.:eek:

On Queen Marys maiden voyage , all passengers entering via the gangway were greeted by security , armed with machine guns.:eek:

Strange, normally they would need the containers to get the passengers off the ship due to them having become cargo during the cruise.:p

Yes, in an earlier post I had said it was the terrorists that were trying to get rid of the tourists.

Yes, the risk is one thing. But it's not as though you feel unwelcome as a tourist, as you'd said tourists are not welcome.

In fact, many of the local Tunisians were trying to help protect the tourists!

Yes, the risk is one thing. But it's not as though you feel unwelcome as a tourist, as you'd said tourists are not welcome.

In fact, many of the local Tunisians were trying to help protect the tourists!

Thanks.:D

Tunisia's President has declared a 30 day State of Emergency.

"Explaining his decision in an address to the nation on state television, the president referred to recent attacks on foreign tourists at the Bardo museum and in Sousse, and also to the difficult economic situation faced by Tunisia since the 2011 revolution.

He stated if another terrorist attack, like in Sousse happened, the country would collapse."

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/04/tunisias-president-declares-state-of-emergency-sousse-terrorist-attack

Edited by MMDown Under

Tunisia's President has declared a 30 day State of Emergency.

"Explaining his decision in an address to the nation on state television, the president referred to recent attacks on foreign tourists at the Bardo museum and in Sousse, and also to the difficult economic situation faced by Tunisia since the 2011 revolution.

He stated if another terrorist attack, like in Sousse happened, the country would collapse."

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/04/tunisias-president-declares-state-of-emergency-sousse-terrorist-attack

Frightening thought.