I've HAD IT with Royal Caribbean!!!

Eve

It was actually a fairly useful and enlightening typo, because if this thread proves anything, it's there are many on here who would pay RCI an extra $5 to send them luggage tags who would not pay RCI $35 to mail then the whole packet of documents. If I were a bean counter at RCI reading this I'd be inclined to run some numbers and see if the company could make more money by offering $5 tags as an option.

Between raw materials, printing, and mailing charges I am not sure that $5.00would be worth it to RCI.

Between raw materials, printing, and mailing charges I am not sure that $5.00would be worth it to RCI.

Could be. Even so, perhaps there's a sweet spot a few dollars higher that might work for both company and consumer. I wouldn't personally buy them because I'm perfectly happy with the Cruise Critic tag holders that I use, but it seems that there's legitimate interest.

I apologize for the typo. It should have read $35, not $5.

Thank you to all the posters who realized this was not about luggage tags, but rather was about a series of small things adding up to mounting frustration. I appreciate your understanding.

Hi Eve, I hope your issues are resolved and that you have a wonderful time on your cruise. I understand how the little things can all add up, especially when you're used to such top notch service.

My only advice (and I am far from a Diamond cruiser as you can see from my signature, so just a tiny newbie tip) would be to take advantage of a Travel Agent next time. Preferably one has the most recent Royal Caribbean TA training completed (don't be afraid to ask them so!). That's what I have done in the past and on my next cruise, and trust me it has been a stress-reliever. The biggest advantage is that these well-trained RC TAs usually (or I'm assuming, because mine does) have their own contacts within RC who they communicate to on a regular basis. They can get you information twice as quick, ensure you receive your proper benefits, and help you get the reservations you want, at the time you want, without having to fiddle through the horrible website or wait 20 minutes to speak to a RC agent who wants to end the phone call ASAP...

Others might disagree, but just my 2 cents.

Wishing you luck while you complete your planning!

Hi Eve, I've had a similar problem. But after two weeks of trying I have finally been able to login to my reservation and order my luggage tags - this will be our first cruise with RCI, sincerely hoping that the IT isn't indicative of the quality of the cruise experience!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hi Eve, I've had a similar problem. But after two weeks of trying I have finally been able to login to my reservation and order my luggage tags - this will be our first cruise with RCI, sincerely hoping that the IT isn't indicative of the quality of the cruise experience!

It's not!

Bon Voyage!

:)

It definitely is not. The shoreside experience -- website, IT, maneuvering deceptive sales -- is pretty lousy and has only gotten worse lately. The on board experience is much, much better. There wouldn't be so many long time repeat RCI cruisers if the on board experience was as bad as the website! ;)

That said, they really need to get their pre-cruise house in order. I could seriously see a first timer get so fed up with all the nonsense and cancel their cruise, missing out on the excellent on board experience, which would be a shame.

• 1 month later...
I don't think it's a big enough deal to make a difference, but there was always something special about doing the "Doc Dance" when we got the package in the mail. I miss that too. We bought the tag holders from Amazon and they work fine, but it's sort of like so many things that are getting automated (Loyalty Coupon Books, gratuities, etc.) that take just a little more joy out of the cruise experience. We used to enjoy reading the coupon books when we first got on and pulling out the ones we'd want to use. They weren't worth a lot, but it made us feel special. I guess now we just get a sheet of paper (if we're lucky) and discounts just happen. Still nice, but not as much fun. We used to love just handing the gratuities to the people on the last day as part of the experience. Yeah, the labels were just stickers, but they were really pretty and there was a tinge of fun putting them on in the hotel before going to the ship. The new ones are functional.

Doing the Doc Dance holding an email printed is just not the same.

Alas... but we're still cruising. Like I said, it's not a big enough deal, but like you I miss that experience. For us, cruising is about a whole bunch of little experiences.

It certainly does't make me mad like the OP. Just a little sad if I stop to think about it.

Tom

Said perfectly!!!! I also miss the doc dance!!

I haven't read every post, so at risk of repetition . . .

Luggage tag holders can be bought from Cruise Critic :)

http://www.cruisecritic.com/store/product.cfm?ID=46

For printing your own, CC member AHecht has written a good utility to print more than just the one in the eDocs pdf and include name and cabin number:

http://www3.zansstuff.com/luggage-tags

Edited by pspercy

I actually like printing out my own luggage tags. We coat them with wide clear tape and they are done. Not sure why this is such an issue with people. Yeah, at first it seemed really cheap on their part, but now it is what it is. Just adapt and move on. Most cruise lines now do it, or will shortly.

We've all seen changes and I'm not just talking about the cruiselines. Change is part of life.

As for the luggage tags, seriously? Honestly, when they quit sending them FIVE years ago, I ordered a set of plastic holders for something like $15 (can't remember) and print them. We actually prefer the plastic holders to tags that have adhesive and can be easily torn off. For our Carnival cruise in Feb, I also bought tag holders that fit their wider tags. I have no plans to use them again since we've decided no more Carnival, but they were worth what I spent on them.

As for pp's post about M&M, we've also quit going. But, the story about the woman crying can happen anywhere. There's always one or two people anywhere you go who have to be the center of the universe. That just happened to be her way, cry and carry on and get people to sympathize. Doesn't work on me and like pp, I would have avoided her too. There are always a couple of "unique" personalities at the M&M. We've made our friends on cruises at dinner, not at the M&M or on our roll call.

You will change cruise lines over $5.00 luggage tags? Actually I thought the price was $15. This issued was discussed endlessly several years ago and has been in effect "forever". Amazon sells plastic luggage holders if you don't want to cover than with clear tape - or can get the tags at the port I think and let the porter put them on.

luggage tags? Really. It was a sticker????

I actually found on amazon these plastic cruise ship luggage tags made for royal caribbean tags. they are sturdy and come with a plastic strap. I think it was a set of 6 or 8 or something. You just go online and print out your thing. Fold it and insert it into the plastic pouch on the tag. It works great ... more than five bucks but you can use them over and over again, and no fear of getting ripped off like the stickers of the past.

They haven't provided luggage tags for many years. No big deal. I don't think other cruise lines do it either. We have been using the plastic luggage tag holders sold on line and they work great. We've used the original ones we bought many times so it's much cheaper than paying $5.00

They work great

Here's the link to some at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Cruise-Luggage-Tag-Holders-Set/dp/B00ABM7I0W

From the ad:

•Designed for use with all of the Carnival owned cruise lines

•Princess, Carnival, Costa, Holland America, P&O, Norwegian, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity

•Protects your printed cruise luggage tags, water resistant, durable, reusable.

•Will not fall off or tear off in transit.

Sonds like most cruise lines do it this way.

•PRICE IS FOR A SET OF 4 TAGS

They work great!!

We used to tape the paper tags. Then we discoverred the tag holders.

We love them. I have a set of each size. We do not put them on til we head for the pierr and they seem very sturdy. and durable.

Here's another link:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/store/product.cfm?ID=46

I have no idea what they heck is going on at RCCL lately, but I've HAD IT. First of all, their website is in complete shambles. I've logged on to find that my PAID FOR reservation is not showing up. I log off and log back on again, and voila, there it is. Dinner reservations that I've made and paid for are gone. Only to reappear sometimes--not all the time. Forget shore excursions. I can't even log into the program to reserve those.

Dynamic Dining? They can keep it. I want to enjoy my vacation, not schedule every minute of it.

Reserving at a speciality restaurant? The reservation says "$0" for Sabor. Great. Only after reading these boards do I find out that I'll have to pay when I get onboard. OK. That's fine. But could you please TELL me that on the reservation page so I can plan accordingly??

But today was the last straw. I called RCCL to request luggage tags. The agent told me that effective March 1, 2010 there is a $5 fee for luggage tags because everything is online now and I should print my own. I have cruised RCCL since 2010. NOT ONCE have I been charged for luggage tags.

I'm done. If this cruise wasn't non-refundable at this point, I'd cancel. Royal needs to get their act together FAST if they want to retain their client base. I'm a Diamond member, not new to cruising. I'm watching the decline in customer service, and I'm darn angry about it.

LOL of all the cutbacks luggage tags pushed you over the edge , something that takes 2 minutes to print and put in a sleeve and put them on a suit case. The most part you need 2 of them. Oh well I guess everyone has a breaking point. But that seems like such a minor thing to me . I just decided to leave Carnival for a while we are Platinum which is Diamond equivalent but for things like poor food , poor shows , or none , no entertainment on deck. Things to me that make a cruise , not a luggage tag. But we are also platinum on RCCL which is mid level but that did get us $100 discount on our upcoming balcony which I found fantastic:):)

Edited by frito58

We found these RCI and Celebrity luggage tag holders on Amazon.com and Amazon.ca. We print the luggage tags in black and white and insert them in the holder. They are quite durable and we have used the same set for multiple cruises.ref=sr_1_3?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1431101095&sr=1-3&keywords=cruise+luggage+tags

You will change cruise lines over $5.00 luggage tags? Actually I thought the price was $15. This issued was discussed endlessly several years ago and has been in effect "forever". Amazon sells plastic luggage holders if you don't want to cover than with clear tape - or can get the tags at the port I think and let the porter put them on.

It's $35 and that was stated a couple of pages back by a couple of posters.

• 4 weeks later...

I can totally understand your frustration. They are going overboard (no pun intended) with their cost cutting. Take a look at the hours that the restaurants are open compared to what they used to be.

And there is a lot of stuff piling up lately. Ive only been here 6 years but I dont recall a time where there have been so many disgruntled seasoned cruisers here as there are now.

Im not going to pick on the OP. In fact, I encouraged her to vent her complaints to upper management. What seems minor to me may not be minor to her and vice versa.

Ill be just a few days shy of 3 years since my last cruise when I board Freedom in 3 weeks. I have to admit I am worried about some of the things I read here as far as service goes.

I hope you're as happy as you were on previous cruises. We recently cruised after a 3 year break & saw/felt many of the things so many are now complaining about. We certainly enjoyed ourselves, but the declines were quite noticeable & we're seriously considering cancelling our 2016 Granduer cruise.

We've been cruising Royal since 1990 & have always enjoyed our cruises but since they no longer provide the quality they did, we're looking elsewhere.