Regal Princess vs Emerald Princess

mrsgthatsme

We are planning our first Princess cruise for our 10 year anniversary next year. We are looking at the Eastern Caribbean 5 day itinerary that includes stops at Princess Cays and Turks and Caicos. We have the option of going in December, January or March on the Emerald Princess or at the beginning of November on the Regal Princess. I know that the Regal is much newer, but wondered which of the ships you would choose and why. The Regal would be about $150 more per person for the same cruise. Worth it? If the time of year influences your preference, I would love to hear that as well. Thanks!!

November and December are low season in the Caribbean because of the potential for rain. Although the fares might be higher, I'd go with January or March to maximize my chances of having sunny weather -- something which in my opinion is more important the shorter the cruise. To me, a Nov. or Dec. cruise is something best bought at the last minute at bargain discounts; that way, I'm not annoyed if there's rain/clouds!

And no, I don't think that the new ship is worth $300 more, especially since Emerald is not that old and is quite nice herself. I'd rather take that money and apply it to doing a longer cruise or spend it on martinis and a specialty restaurant dinner.

I've pretty much always cruised the first week or two after Thanksgiving; there are a LOT fewer kids and families aboard, and the ship is quieter overall without all of the holiday or Spring Break mayhem. And the weather really isn't all that bad either, plus you get to see the ship all decorated for Christmas.

Now, since you've never cruised with Princess Cruises before, there are some important differences between the two ships you've chosen; they are of a different design-class, although there are going to be more similarities in the layout than actual differences.

The Regal Princess is like the Emerald Princess on steroids. Bigger and wider, more elegant, modern, with some updated amenities and features, MINUS a "proper walking promenade deck" like Emerald Princess has. Regal Princess also has fewer "large-sized pools", if that is important to you. Both have the Movies Under the Stars (MUTS) outdoor ginormous movie screen topside.

There are more eateries on Regal Princess - Alfredo's (complimentary; fixed menu - upscale pizza and pastas, salads), Ocean Terrace Seafood Bar (surcharge venue with a small "raw bar" and other upscale specialty seafood like crab margaritas and oyster shooters) etc - all located in a vastly larger atrium. And on Regal Princess the International Cafe (free sandwiches and snacks), Vines (wine bar), Crooners (piano bar), and Gelato (ice cream shop) are double the size of their counterparts on Emerald Princess. The Horizon Court lido buffet on Regal Princess, with its Pastry Shop, is significantly larger and superior (greater number of food offerings and seating capacity) to its counterpart on Emerald Princess.

Emerald Princess has more actual quiet "lounge spaces" (Wheelhouse Bar is bigger and has a real dance floor, Explorer's Lounge is huge but empty a lot of times, same goes for the Adagio lounge, and the SkyWalker's Lounge is great for sea days because it is also empty a lot of times). Regal Princess does not have an Explorer's Lounge, Adagio Lounge, or SkyWalkers, and her Wheelhouse Bar is smaller and primarily serves as a pre-dinner lounge for the specialty restaurant, the Crown Grill. Some people hate the Club Fusion lounge on the Grand-class ships (like on Emerald Princess) and prefer the Vista Lounge layout like on Regal Princess. Regal Princess has a place called Princess Live! (it replaced the Explorer's Lounge) with live TV shows being filmed, where guest lecturers speak, and other things (trivia games, etc) are held. The SkyWalkers lounge on Emerald Princess doubles as the 'happening' nightlife dance and gathering place, and is double the size of Regal Princess' Club 6 nightlife dance club.

The larger atrium on Regal Princess also doubles as an entertainment venue with bands and guest performing acts taking up 'central stage' and it's also used for other things (dancing, etc), whereas the atrium on Emerald Princess is quite small.

Emerald Princess is going to be more 'intimate', and feel smaller when compared to Regal Princess, the latter which handles its larger passenger load quite well.

The balconies on Regal Princess are, I believe, just as wide, but a foot shallower, than the average balcony on Emerald Princess. The decor of the accommodations on Regal Princess are updated, modern, and elegant, on Emerald Princess it'll feel a bit dated. Regal Princess has a bigger shower, and a much better interactive entertainment system than Emerald Princess with hundreds of movies and shows available on-demand in your stateroom.

On Regal Princess the Spa and Fitness Center are on different decks, the Spa and Thermal Suite being more upscale, whereas in Emerald Princess those two venues are next to each other. Emerald Princess has complimentary steam rooms in the fitness center, Regal Princess does not have complimentary steam rooms at all (the Thermal Suite is a resort-style sauna faculty and there is a fee).

I'm sure there's more, but I hope this helps. Having cruised both on a Grand-class (Ruby Princess, the sister to Emerald Princess) and a Royal-class (Royal Princess, sister to Regal Princes), I'd personally prefer the Regal Princess over Emerald Princess because the features and amenities of the newer ships suit me better than those of the older ships.

So, yes, I'd pay more for the Regal Princess over Emerald Princess.

But I'm sure I'll be in the minority. ;)

:D

Edited by dmwnc1959

Both are good & others have posted some things to consider about which is best you you & not for us. ;)

I've been on the sister ships of the Emerald (Crown) and Regal (Royal) and the Royal-class ships have more things that my wife & I enjoy and were already posted by Dave. Another improvement to us is the free Horizon Court buffet coffee...Royal & Regal has filtered coffee made from ground coffee & other Princess ships have coffee made from coffee concentrate...we prefer the filtered coffee but that's subjective and merely what our tastebuds prefer.

Either way you cannot lose. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

Here are some 'visuals' for you...

The first set of pictures are from Ruby Princess, but Emerald Princess will be, for the most part, identical in every aspect:

These next sets are of Royal Princess, to which Regal Princess will be identical save for the addition of a small 'dipping pool' and lounging area located on the aft upper deck:

Regal. What I cannot get out of my mind regarding the emerald is that horribly designed Poor-flow Caribe Cafe as a substitute for the Horizon Court at dinner time. We were in her in 2008 and just couldn't believe how limited a selection they had :eek:

We thought it odd that they would close Hc and funnel everyone to Caribe Cafe.

We recall the crowding issue to be much worse on Emersld than on the Regal. Regal just seemed to flow better.

And we really enjoyed not having to feel crowded on that corridor from explorer's, past the photo lobby, to the rear of ship.

We'd be hard pressed to ever go back to those old-fashioned ships like the Emersld. We didn't really care for the rear terrace bar either.

We had a good time on the emerald sld but we had a great time on the regal:D

Having sailed on both the Emerald and the Royal (sorry, not Regal, but it is close), I can report that we love both ships - for different reasons - but we still love 'em both. For example, the Royal has a great running track (7 times = a mile) and the Emerald doesn't. But the Emerald's gym is located at the bow with a great view overlooking the front of the ship and the Royal's is on the side. The Royal has a beautiful, huge Atrium and the Emerald - while having a beautiful Atrium also, has a smaller one with fewer offerings. The Emerald has more pools with the adult only Sanctuary pool being one of the best kept "secrets." The Royal has fewer pools and seemingly wasted space taken up by the fountains. The Emerald has a walk-able Promenade while the Royal does not. The Royal carries more passengers but we really didn't feel more crowded - - more people plus more room for those people. And, of course, on the Royal, no central stairs that go all the way up. Yes, there are more comparisons and other postings go into those. We are going on the Royal for the second time this coming December. The main reason for booking the Royal? I am an educator and can only sail during school breaks and the Royal had the 10 day cruise I needed. If it had been the Emerald, I would have booked it instead. Like I said, we love both ships. Now, if someone would like to sponsor us on the Regal, I will be more than happy to write about it as well. :D

I pretty much agree with dmwnc1959.

We have sailed both the Regal and the Emerald and loved them both. I think that you will be happy with whichever ship you choose. If I had to give a nod to one or the other I would probably say the Regal.

I've pretty much always cruised the first week or two after Thanksgiving; there are a LOT fewer kids and families aboard, and the ship is quieter overall without all of the holiday or Spring Break mayhem. And the weather really isn't all that bad either, plus you get to see the ship all decorated for Christmas.

Now, since you've never cruised with Princess Cruises before, there are some important differences between the two ships you've chosen; they are of a different design-class, although there are going to be more similarities in the layout than actual differences.

The Regal Princess is like the Emerald Princess on steroids. Bigger and wider, more elegant, modern, with some updated amenities and features, MINUS a "proper walking promenade deck" like Emerald Princess has. Regal Princess also has fewer "large-sized pools", if that is important to you. Both have the Movies Under the Stars (MUTS) outdoor ginormous movie screen topside.

There are more eateries on Regal Princess - Alfredo's (complimentary; fixed menu - upscale pizza and pastas, salads), Ocean Terrace Seafood Bar (surcharge venue with a small "raw bar" and other upscale specialty seafood like crab margaritas and oyster shooters) etc - all located in a vastly larger atrium. And on Regal Princess the International Cafe (free sandwiches and snacks), Vines (wine bar), Crooners (piano bar), and Gelato (ice cream shop) are double the size of their counterparts on Emerald Princess. The Horizon Court lido buffet on Regal Princess, with its Pastry Shop, is significantly larger and superior (greater number of food offerings and seating capacity) to its counterpart on Emerald Princess.

Emerald Princess has more actual quiet "lounge spaces" (Wheelhouse Bar is bigger and has a real dance floor, Explorer's Lounge is huge but empty a lot of times, same goes for the Adagio lounge, and the SkyWalker's Lounge is great for sea days because it is also empty a lot of times). Regal Princess does not have an Explorer's Lounge, Adagio Lounge, or SkyWalkers, and her Wheelhouse Bar is smaller and primarily serves as a pre-dinner lounge for the specialty restaurant, the Crown Grill. Some people hate the Club Fusion lounge on the Grand-class ships (like on Emerald Princess) and prefer the Vista Lounge layout like on Regal Princess. Regal Princess has a place called Princess Live! (it replaced the Explorer's Lounge) with live TV shows being filmed, where guest lecturers speak, and other things (trivia games, etc) are held. The SkyWalkers lounge on Emerald Princess doubles as the 'happening' nightlife dance and gathering place, and is double the size of Regal Princess' Club 6 nightlife dance club.

The larger atrium on Regal Princess also doubles as an entertainment venue with bands and guest performing acts taking up 'central stage' and it's also used for other things (dancing, etc), whereas the atrium on Emerald Princess is quite small.

Emerald Princess is going to be more 'intimate', and feel smaller when compared to Regal Princess, the latter which handles its larger passenger load quite well.

The balconies on Regal Princess are, I believe, just as wide, but a foot shallower, than the average balcony on Emerald Princess. The decor of the accommodations on Regal Princess are updated, modern, and elegant, on Emerald Princess it'll feel a bit dated. Regal Princess has a bigger shower, and a much better interactive entertainment system than Emerald Princess with hundreds of movies and shows available on-demand in your stateroom.

On Regal Princess the Spa and Fitness Center are on different decks, the Spa and Thermal Suite being more upscale, whereas in Emerald Princess those two venues are next to each other. Emerald Princess has complimentary steam rooms in the fitness center, Regal Princess does not have complimentary steam rooms at all (the Thermal Suite is a resort-style sauna faculty and there is a fee).

I'm sure there's more, but I hope this helps. Having cruised both on a Grand-class (Ruby Princess, the sister to Emerald Princess) and a Royal-class (Royal Princess, sister to Regal Princes), I'd personally prefer the Regal Princess over Emerald Princess because the features and amenities of the newer ships suit me better than those of the older ships.

So, yes, I'd pay more for the Regal Princess over Emerald Princess.

But I'm sure I'll be in the minority. ;)

Thanks for the detail about the steam room, I do like it on emerald class ship.

I'm wondering with the fewer lounges in the regal, where are the non production shows held. Where is the dancing besides the wheelhouse?

Great pictures.

I'm wondering with the fewer lounges in the regal, where are the non production shows held. Where is the dancing besides the wheelhouse?

Great pictures.

The main production shows are still held in the large Princess Theater at the front of the ship.

Dancing, for the most part, was in the atrium. Lots of people were out there when they had a band playing, but the floors are marble and not suitable for by-the-book Ballroom Dancing. The Vista Lounge also has an available floor area for dancing when they have music back there.

Great pictures.

Some non production shows are held in the Princess Theater, some in Princess Live and dancing is in the massive Atrium and Club 6. :D

We have sailed both Regal and Emerald and enjoyed both. If we had to choose between the two on the same itinerary we would pick the Regal. She has more to offer that pleases us.

If you haven't been on either, try one and then you'll have an excuse to take another cruise to try the other. :D

They are both worth sailing. ;) :D

Royal class has limited pools and is not a great class of ship for a Caribbean cruise. Ruby, Emerald, or Crown would be my choice.

It is my opinion that the pools acommodate the cruisers in the Caribbean. If you want to get in one, you can. There are pool pics in all three reviews in my signature. They are from the Caribbean Princess, the Regal and the Royal. All are taken in the afternoon of a sea day in the Caribbean. They were taken at the different pools.

I found them to be very comfortable on a Caribbean cruise.

For the itinerary that you are contemplating, I would choose Emerald. It is essentially a Bahamian "fun in the sun" cruise where you are likely going to want to be outside. Regal is more of an "inside" ship where your focus is drawn to the terrific interior venues. Emerald will be more of an "outside" focused ship where you will have a more welcoming balcony (if you book that category), a full Promenade for outside viewing, spaces where you can access the bow and stern for great views, more pools for lounging and more open deck space to connect with the great outdoors. Regal will have newer, more modern cabins and more dining options. But frankly, if a really nice room and nice dining options were a priority when travelling to that region, I would book a land-based vacation on Turks and Caicos or in the Bahamas. The resorts there would blow away either ship in terms of food and accommodations. But the point of the cruise (at least to me) is to coonect to the sea. And for that, Emerald wins. I would choose Regal for an itinerary where the sea and sun were less critical. But for fun in the sun and a feeling of being at sea, I would choose Emerald. And I put my money where my mouth is. I selected the Caribbean Princess over the new builds for our April cruise to the Eastern Caribbean.

Royal class has limited pools and is not a great class of ship for a Caribbean cruise. Ruby, Emerald, or Crown would be my choice.

Again, it's one of those factors that's user dependent; I don't use pools, so that wouldn't be a consideration when choosing a ship. The OP, however...

;)

Noticed that you are on your Baltic Cruise. We board in Berlin on the 10th, others are boarding in Copenhagen on the 7th. If you want to join our roll call the Berlin roll call is at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2056596

The people starting in Copenhagen are planning some joint excursions as well as getting together the night before boarding.

Edited by YLTraveler