Should dress codes disappear?

No 30. There are plenty of other places to eat on the ship if you don't want to dress up. Norwegian has that market as an option, and someone needs to keep up with Carnival. ;)

No dress code would make for some crossover traffic from NCL, but send more RCL people elsewhere.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

No / 40s

I'm looking forward to the formal night. I think the rules for "formal" night are relaxed enough that everyone should be able to comply with the minimum request. I know I will be wearing a dress - but nothing I would be wearing to a prom for heavens sakes. My guys are going to wear dress pants, cutton down shirt and a tie -- no jackets. Is that REALLY so hard? :confused:

As for the non-formal nights, I too would like to see the inclusion of dress shorts. (For those asking - if you would wear them to play basketball, they're not dress shorts! Generally "khaki" material and a longer short.)

I have no interest in seeing anyone in the MDR wearing their bathing suit or pajama pants. I have Wal-Mart for that!! :rolleyes:

Yes, 60's

Smart casual would be great! We have been cruising since the early seventies and stopped wearing formal clothes long ago. We usually cruise trans atlantic and then spend extended time abroad and certainly don't want to drag tux, formal shoes for hubby and evening shoes and clothes for me. I think formal nights will be eliminated sooner rather than later.

Instead of flaunting your total disregard for the dress code policy, as requested by the cruise line, there is always seating at the Windjammer or NCL will welcome you with open arms.

They have formal nights, and a list of acceptable wear in their brochures and on their website and I expect them to enforce it or else it's another misleading come on to get people to cruise with them. Formal nights are one of the few things left that makes cruising feel like something special.

No - 30s.

If you want to eat in the main dining room, you follow the dress code. If you don't want to dress up there is always Windjammer - you have a choice. I do think that RCI simply needs to enforce the dress code they have.

Yes 60's. What others wear has no bearing on our enjoyment. The food on night 1 (relaxed dress code) tastes just as good as it does on formal night.

And yes. We follow the suggested dress codes.

Edited by woodyren

One day the cruise line WILL relax their policy, just as it has been majorly relaxed every few years. It wasn't that long ago that breakfast, lunch, and dinner were all first and second seating in the dining room and if you were late too bad. That's a dead policy; people wouldn't put up with it getting to breakfast by 7:45AM or waiting for lunch on vacation. Relaxation of current policy is coming. It is inevitable. Relaxing the dress code doesn't mean you can't still dress up; no one will force you to be more casual if it makes you uncomfortable. Dressing up makes me uncomfortable. I dress up more on vacation than I do in my day to day life. I'm not keen to keep spending thousands of dollars for an experience I don't like. Since I am among the younger set here you can bet the change will come because it's my money that's got a 40+ year timeline to pay the note on these new mega-ships.

I would like to believe that changing the dress code is inevitable. They surely are trying to find new dining alternatives, and a way to give those that want to dress up more and be comfortable seated with others of the same mindset a way to do that on some ships.

Formal nights on ships have become less formal (overall) -- I will know that some form of change is coming when they change the designation from "Formal" to "Semi-Formal" that will indicate that they realize change is needed....because it really hasn't been a "Formal" night, for years. It might be a small step, but it will show that corporate realizes something.

No, 60s and 30+ years of cruising (1st in 1982), I have seen it all. Mid-80s, I was rather underdressed on a 2 week Panama Canal Big Band cruise. I looked nice, but did not have a long dress every night like many women did. I was 39 & just 10 of us under 50!

Why does the world have to go casual? Shorts in the dining room, no way! MDR is nice, and to me shorts/polo shirts belong in the buffet area.

I don't get the, "it is my vacation, I should be able to dress the way I want". Why choose a vacation where you know there are certain expectations?

But the point of this thread is whether there should be a change in expectations. Your "no" is perfectly valid of course. The "yes" votes here are indications that they would like to have changed expectations so they could better enjoy their vacation.

But the point of this thread is whether there should be a change in expectations. Your "no" is perfectly valid of course. The "yes" votes here are indications that they would like to have changed expectations so they could better enjoy their vacation.

Because she doesn't understand why people won't vacation for her benefit and not their own. You can't explain stuff to people who can't understand such simple things

No. 50's. Dressing up is one of my favorite parts of my cruise experience. I can wear shorts and a t- shirt at home every other day. Let's just look at it this way... if there is no standard set, then every day is casual. There's nothing special about dressing for dinner. For those who want casual everyday... fine. Choose a different venue for dinner or a different cruise line who caters to that lifestyle. But I don't want to have to go to a specialty restaurant to feel comfortable dressing up. Nor do I want to sit next to Mr. Shorts and Sneakers who Just Came from the Pool at a formal dinner. Would you come to a wedding reception dressed like that?

No. 50's. Dressing up is one of my favorite parts of my cruise experience. I can wear shorts and a t- shirt at home every other day. Let's just look at it this way... if there is no standard set, then every day is casual. There's nothing special about dressing for dinner. For those who want casual everyday... fine. Choose a different venue for dinner or a different cruise line who caters to that lifestyle. But I don't want to have to go to a specialty restaurant to feel comfortable dressing up. Nor do I want to sit next to Mr. Shorts and Sneakers who Just Came from the Pool at a formal dinner. Would you come to a wedding reception dressed like that?

No one said get rid of formal night.

So if I wear shorts to dinner instead of pants I skipped bathing and grooming? What planet are you people from? I read that every day here. It's absurd.

People keep mentioning basketball shorts. I guess this crowd hasn't seen an NBA game in awhile? Those shorts are below the knee! This isn't the 70s anymore.

Oh yes it is.:mad: It's Love Boat, Disco, white leisure suits, and The Bee Gee's music is playing all over the ship. :);)

People keep mentioning basketball shorts. I guess this crowd hasn't seen an NBA game in awhile? Those shorts are below the knee! This isn't the 70s anymore.

Ah yes, basketball shorts of the 70's. I sometimes wonder if today's players could play in those 'short shorts' of days gone by.

These people just can't let go. 2015 is a long way from the 1970s Love Boat. Vacations are evolving. Time to put on some shorts and head to the MDR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most if not all cruiselines have dress codes...if they feel it is important enough then they should enforce their own rules or do away with them. Why have a dress code and then turn your head when someone doesn't comply..and I'm not talking about those times when it is a close call, I'm talking about when someone totally disregards the dress codes. I enjoy the dress codes and hope that they do not do away with them, but enforce them.

Yes 50's ... this playing dress up is just silly. Why do I need to tie a $30 piece of fabric around my neck and let it dangle. Neckties, bow-ties, and cummerbunds should go the way of the powdered wigs that men use to wear.

Simple solution don't go to the MDR.

No...40's

Dressing for dinner is part of cruising period. Do I think Tuxes are necessary?No But a tie and or jacket is not to much to ask for "formal"

If its your vacations and you want to wear shorts all week then you have options like the windjammer. Unless of course you are under the age of 6 then shorts are fine.

If RCL relaxes the dress code to allow shorts in the MDR when will it stop? swim suits with a tee shirt on? Or maybe just wet swim suits and robes eating dinner...no thanks