why is glacier bay more expensive?

ehobbs1970

hello - went on a short 5 day pacific cruise last year with older disabled mother and we loved it !!! want to go to alaska now and wondering why glacier bay is so much more expensive 1500 and then goes up to 2400 ish for 10 days. ideas please .... and is it worth the difference

Cruises that go to Glacier Bay probably cost more because it is a national park and they only allow so many permits to enter the bay through the cruise season. This means most cruises go to other glacial areas due to no permits. I may be wrong but I would think that has something to do with it.

I'm guessing this is a Princess 10-day R/T from San Francisco and an outside cabin? And the 10 day is more expensive per day than the 5 day? And disabled mother in San Francisco, and you in Scottsdale, Arizona?

Ultimately, the cruise line charges as much as they think they can get the cabin for. Not many cruise lines do Alaska from San Francisco - most leave from Seattle or Vancouver/Anchorage. Additionally, the number of cruise ships allowed into Glacier Bay is restricted, and Princess gets a lot of the permits.

If you are unable to fly to Seattle or Vancouver/Anchorage, you're going to have to pay what cruises leaving from San Francisco are charging. You might try and keep an eye on the Princess Drop & Go deals, but if you need to fly from Scottsdale, the last-minute airfare might eat up any savings.

Edited by CantanaLobo

The answer is actually pretty easy. All the cruise lines use complex "Yield Management" programs coupled with management expertise to price cruises. The idea is to get the most revenue per passenger (from all sources) which is just good business sense. Since there are a limited number of cruises that can enter Glacier Bay and apparently the demand is projected to be relatively high, the line sets a higher price. If they err and sales are not as healthy as expected then they will drop the prices (often inside the final payment period) or offer some kind of promotion. If demand exceeds expectations then you can expect to see the price increase on the remaining cabins.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

thank you guys. yes my mom lives san jose and i live in arizona. her flying by herself is a little iffy. that is why we thought san fran was a better way to go and i sort of like the extra days of cruise time. we like cruise days a lot. bc my mom is disabled its hard to get her off the ship and on tours its been that she has had to remain on the buses and cant do heavy walking ones. just too hard up and down. my thought on alaska is that she can enjoy much of the beauty by being on the ship too. so the san fran glacier trip is sort of a supply and demand thing that makes the price higher. i think there is only one cruise out of san fran that does glacier. if i can work it out to get her up to seattle that may be the best thing but that is only 7 day so less mom time. as they get older i am trying to cherish the times we have where she can still do things. i know that the prices drop the closer it gets but worried that is risky. the mini suite (our ideal) is already sold out. any thoughts on what cruise lines are good alaska glacier? cant do the 5000 per person ones but in the under 2500 pp balcony. this is prob way to many questions but i cant believe how knowledgeable everyone is- thank you thank you !!!!!

hello - went on a short 5 day pacific cruise last year with older disabled mother and we loved it !!! want to go to alaska now and wondering why glacier bay is so much more expensive 1500 and then goes up to 2400 ish for 10 days. ideas please .... and is it worth the difference

Launch fares usually do not last until sailing. Balconies in August (15) are currently listed at $1800 + taxes and fees. Insides start at $999. This is on the Golden Princess, 10 days rt from San Francisco.

As the US economy improves and more people look for a cruise you can expect the prices to be in the $100-$200 pp, per day range for Alaska.

BTW, those 5 day Pacific trips were 'throw away' offerings to entice new people to try cruising. Pricing was/is very aggressive. Alaska not so much.

Keep searching. Deals do exist but you have to look constantly and act fast. A month ago, NCL Pearl had a 10 days Alaska and Glacier Bay cruise round trip Seattle for only $419 INT or $999 Balcony + OBC. Cruise is for May 2015. You may wish to look for a late Aug or Sept Alaska cruise if price is an issue.

My $0.02: If it's a choice between Glacier Bay or Tracy Arm - Glacier Bay. If it's a choice of Tracy Arm or not going - Tracy Arm. In addition to the cruise thinfool mentioned, there's a Golden Princess Tracy Arm, Thu, Aug 20, 2015 with balconies for 1699 PP, and a mini for 2199. Both Aug 10 and Aug 20 cruises have $100 OBC. If a mini is more important than Glacier Bay or you want a cheaper balcony, you could look at Aug 20.

Celebrity has a SF R/T leaving May 15. Tracy Arm Itn, Verandah for $1386 California resident rate, but its a gty. ("At least one guest in the stateroom must be a resident of the promotion-eligible State"). I don't know if that's too soon for you or if you're comfortable with a gty. You can pick a room for a little more ($38 PP).

Edited by CantanaLobo

Only two large cruise ships are allowed in each day and the permits are issued by an agreement that favors "seniority". I believe the agreement is for ten years and then the details are negotiated again. That is why HAL, Princess and then NCL have the vast majority of the permits. Glacier Bay is really spectacular and known as the most desirable of glaciers of course even this is subjective.

I imagine that the sailings on the same ship that doesn't do GB costs less.

at this pt we def want to do glacier bay. and if we do rt from san fran i think there is only one option based on my research that being the golden princess. but you guys seem to really have this down. so if you know of anything else please enlighten. and how do i get my best deal