Cabin advice on Emerald Princess

mrsgthatsme

We are planning a March cruise to the Eastern Caribbean on the Emerald Princess. Is there anyone familiar with that ship that can suggest the most quiet areas to book a balcony cabin? I know avoiding elevators can be a positive if you don't want a lot of extra noise and commotion, but I have noticed people commenting that certain ships have certain areas to avoid due to music or other noise from certain floors/areas of the ship. I am a light sleeper, so I highly prefer a quiet location rather than the convenience of being close to elevators, etc... Also heard that the aft side balconies can catch some smoke from common spaces on that side where smoking is allowed? We took a cruise on Disney three years ago (before balcony smoking was banned) and were unable to use our balcony at all, due to the chain smoker on the balcony next to us :( so we really want to avoid that problem this time! Any tips or cabin suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks!

You should be aware when booking a balcony cabin that those located on Caribe deck generally have the largest balconies of any regular cabin on the ship at about 9'x9' vs 9'x5' for cabins on other decks. The interior of the cabin will be the same as other regular (non-suite) cabins. The balconies on Caribe deck are half covered so you can be out in the sun or in the shade as you desire.

Our preference is a cabin from about mid-ship toward the aft end for the smoothest ride. Cabins aft of the aft elevator are very quiet since there is very little hallway traffic.

Lew

On Emerald Princess we like booking a mini-suite on Dolphin Deck as close as possible across from the mid-ship elevator lobby.

We've never found being across from the elevator lobby to be a problem whatsoever with noise.

Also, it's an extremely convenient location! :D

LuLu

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I noticed that there are both premium and regular balconies offered on the Caribe deck... are the premium ones the only staterooms with the larger balcony, or do all have it on that deck? Also, when you mention the "aft movement," does that mean that it is rougher in the back than in mid deck rooms? I am slightly prone to motion sickness and so prefer a smooth ride. :) I noticed that the rooms in the back and front of the ship were less expensive. I have noticed lots of motion at the front of ships, but wasn't sure about the aft part.

The "premium" tag is just based on location -- all the cabins on Caribe, regardless of category (well, not insides, obviously!), have the larger balcony.

There can be more motion all the way aft, so if you're sensitive, you might want to be more midships. Cabins 618/619/622/623 might be good options: they're BD, so lower cost than the premium ones next door, plus they're across from inside cabins so you know you won't be across the hall from potentially noisy crew areas. I'd avoid the BEs forward of the forward elevators -- most people think the motion up there is worse even than being aft.

You don't say what type of cabin you want?

As far as a mini suite the few aft on Emerald deck are the best for quiet. imo

For a reg balcony Riviera deck in the 600-700 range. Close to the aft doors to the pool and 1 deck up to the buffet.

I agree on Riviera 600 series as we were just in 628/630 and no excess noise to complain about.

We are planning a March cruise to the Eastern Caribbean on the Emerald Princess. Is there anyone familiar with that ship that can suggest the most quiet areas to book a balcony cabin? I know avoiding elevators can be a positive if you don't want a lot of extra noise and commotion, but I have noticed people commenting that certain ships have certain areas to avoid due to music or other noise from certain floors/areas of the ship. I am a light sleeper, so I highly prefer a quiet location rather than the convenience of being close to elevators, etc... Also heard that the aft side balconies can catch some smoke from common spaces on that side where smoking is allowed? We took a cruise on Disney three years ago (before balcony smoking was banned) and were unable to use our balcony at all, due to the chain smoker on the balcony next to us :( so we really want to avoid that problem this time! Any tips or cabin suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Unless you like a LOT of vibration, avoid A-747 (the last aft cabin) on the EP. We had a great extended balcony and no foot traffic or hall noise, but the vibration was like sleeping on top of an old fashioned washing machine. I took a sleep aid every night and still was awakened by the docking at every port...early in the morning. Docking at Houston/LaPorte was the worst by far!

You will find more rocking forward or aft compared to midship.

Everyone has given great advice but may I add my two cents. . . Go back and look at the map again on their site. See in the halls where they have the quarter circle at some points in each hall? Those are emergency doors that will close off the ships compartments if there ever is a need to close them off. So, on the floor, there will be a metal strip at each of these doors. I too am a light sleeper and have found that being close to those is a very bad thing for those like me. The cleaning carts will enter the hallways at some ungodly hour each morning - especially the one when you want to sleep in. Depending on where they are stored, you might just hear them go over that bump once or if there are more than one cart coming out, many carts rattling and making noises as they pass. I know this is a small thing, but again from one light sleeper to another. . .

Next, I would stay away from proximity to the laundry room foods as well.

When I pick our room, (we love being in the aft area) I keep in mind things like doors closing, carts going bump in the morning, and knowing what is above me and below me. Are there rooms or is there a public venue? Could there be a be hid the scenes kitchen in the middle by my room? (We usually pick a balcony but have done inside as well.) Are you just below the pool area? Did you know they move those lounge chairs every night to scrub the deck? It sounds like grand piano races! I know! Thats what I got when I let them pick our room!

If you can withstand the rocking, (It helps me to sleep better at night) take a forward or aft. The back end of the Riviera deck is fantastic. As someone else said, all you have to do is go out to the 'back porch' and up seven steps to the pool and then one flight up to the buffet. We were on the Crown a year ago and had the last balcony on this deck. The balcony was completely covered and facing forward. It was a fantastic room. It looks like this ship has the same set up as that.

We just booked for our next winter defrosting cruise and we snagged an aft balcony! We have always wanted to watch the wake of the ship and look forward to this trip. It we couldn't get one of those, we would have gone to Riviera and the aft side, as far back as we could get!

Good luck finding your perfect room!

We really liked our Caribe deck balcony, being able to sit in the shade while on the balcony was a huge plus in my opinion.

I agree. For the Caribbean we always book a Caribe balcony because they're very big and half covered.

• 4 weeks later...

I prefer inside. I can't see paying a lot for a room I am seldom in.

I like an inside on the Plaza deck. Right next all the activities. Plus you can go to the international cafe anytime. You see shows and activities on the Plaza deck. You might have otherwise missed if it were not for going to your room.

Baha, B618 is very noisy at night as there is a bellboys' box across the corridor, where it appears washing up happens every night.

We were kept awake every night.

Good position not far from mid ships, and easy access to Horizon Court and Lido pool areas

• 3 weeks later...
Unless you like a LOT of vibration, avoid A-747 (the last aft cabin) on the EP. We had a great extended balcony and no foot traffic or hall noise, but the vibration was like sleeping on top of an old fashioned washing machine. I took a sleep aid every night and still was awakened by the docking at every port...early in the morning. Docking at Houston/LaPorte was the worst by far!

I have a far different opinion! I loved A747 so much on the Ruby that I booked the same cabin for our upcoming cruise. I am an extraordinarily light sleeper & have no complaints. We loved the extra space & ability to look down the length of the ship from the extended balcony. I guess its true - to each his own!:D