Liberty and another vessel slow searching

for man overboard.

Possible help coming soon from

nearby warship and CG.

Capt asked us to return to cabins

for a head count of passengers

and crew.

He said if all accounted for we continue

if not we stay on search with other help.

Not many details... but sad situation...

if true.

Edit: Third vessel. blue strobes flashing, is approaching now.

We are in hump JS port side...jumper said to go in on port side

just aft of forward doors, near forward elevator location.

Steward just checked in on us.

Sea is mirror flat no wind...hope for a positive outcome.

Edited by rocketsurgery

Sorry to hear this .... again? Do you think the railings on the balconies, at least should be higher? Not that this couldn't happen somewhere else on the ship for various other reasons.
The OP stated it was a jumper so the rail height wouldn't matter.

Vessel tracker say it is moving at 2.8 knots, off of around Key West.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/

You beat me to it. I was just looking on there, and on http://www.vesselfinder.com. Vessel Finder shows two Canadian warships quite close.

Bob (Clarea) is on board.

The ship got a late start on this cruise because of maintenance. I can only imagine those who were whining and complaining about the late start will say about this :rolleyes:

I hope that this turns out to be a false alarm, and that everyone is accounted for. :(

Edited by Cruzin-K

You beat me to it. I was just looking on there, and on http://www.vesselfinder.com. Vessel Finder shows two Canadian warships quite close.

Bob (Clarea) is on board.

The ship got a late start on this cruise because of maintenance. I can only imagine those who were whining and complaining about the late start will say about this :rolleyes:

I hope that this turns out to be a false alarm, and that everyone is accounted for. :(

I glad to see that the Canadian warships are there to help.

Edited by geocruiser

all guest asked to stay in rooms....coast guard looking for person

Firstly, sad to hear about what has happened. Hopefully the calm seas will help

I do have one question someone may be able to clarify.

I am Confused why guests asked to go back to rooms?

On our last cruise we heard call for man overboard, but no one was asked to go back to cabin?

Luckily it turned out to be a false alarm. A mother had been talking to her son on the balcony next door. She got distracted, heard what turned out to be a wave hit the ship, turned around and her son was gone. She naturally panicked and it turned out the son had gone to the bathroom and she didn't realize given that he was in cabin next door. It actually took a while to confirm it was a false alarm.

Seeing as they appear to know where this person went overboard, I can assume they have witnesses or video, which would identify the person.

A previous cruise we had a crew member who fell overboard whilst securing a lifeboat after a tender. Again no return to cabin.

So I am wondering the purpose of asking everyone to return and stay in their cabin. If they can't locate someone they normally just put out an announcement for them to contact GS?

Sorry to hear this .... again? Do you think the railings on the balconies, at least should be higher? Not that this couldn't happen somewhere else on the ship for various other reasons.

NO. Just "no". No. They do not. NO.

the Canadian warships are helping with the search.

Canadian? What are they doing down there???? :confused:

I glad to see that the Canadian warships are there to help.

Me too.

People are asked to return to their cabins because it's the only way to get a truly accurate headcount of everyone on board. If people are out and about, there's no way to figure out who might be missing.

NO. Just "no". No. They do not. NO.

Canadian? What are they doing down there???? :confused:

A joint military exercise perhaps. :confused:

Agree about the railings. I'm terrified of heights, and usually grip them pretty tight when I'm standing by one, but I've never felt afraid of falling off. Being pushed maybe :eek:

Confirm warships, one paralleling us a few hundred yards

off my balcony.

A helicopter joined in now, guessing from Key West.

So now, three surface ships, the Liberty, and one heli.

PA announcements asking for certain guests to return

to cabins.

My opinion is if someone is out there...along our previous

GPS course...they should find that someone.

Hope for the best.

Edited by rocketsurgery

Me too.

People are asked to return to their cabins because it's the only way to get a truly accurate headcount of everyone on board. If people are out and about, there's no way to figure out who might be missing.

I understand to a degree. But again someone must have seen them go overboard. my question was more that they sound like they know who they are looking for so why ask passengers to remain in cabins?

I understand to a degree. But again someone must have seen them go overboard. my question was more that they sound like they know who they are looking for so why ask passengers to remain in cabins?

Because that's what the captain wants. His ship, his rules!

You don't know who saw the person go overboard. If it is a 16 yr old, they could have been out with someone they met on the ship, not their family. The Captain wants to make sure he knows who is missing.

We can speculate all we want but the ship has a protocol that it is following.